PDA

View Full Version : F6B steals the show at MSF ERC class.

stroguy
05-16-2015, 08:48 AM
We avoided the big rain yesterday in Houston and I got in my Experienced Rider Course over at Mancuso HD on the west side of town. There were six motorcyclists in the course. There was my F6B, an HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic, an HD Softtail Breakout, an HD Wide Glide, a Yamaha 1300 Stryker (bike I traded for my Honda) and a BMW R 1200 that would not start or run worth a crap.

I was late to the event as driving through downtown Damascus would have been easier than driving through west Houston these days. But it allowed for a grand entrance as I drove through the barrier cones and circled the other bikes like a shark preys on a wounded flounder. Everyone watched me park the bike, I apologized immensely for being late, signed my waiver and we were off and driving.

The instructor was a red headed Opie looking man that was a former B-52 pilot in the USAF. I knew I was golden being prior Air Force. Andy, not Opie, was an extremely experienced motorcyclists. 30+ years driving, drives in every weather type and every day of the year. The demo pilot Damain was another very experienced rider. He was a good 250 pound dude that just looked out of place riding demo's on a Suzuki GW250. The only class time was waiver signing which I bypassed being late and you go to the practice area and begin. We had 5 hours of good practice and learning about our machines and how to be a better defensive driver.

Half the class was experienced riders, the other half not so experienced. And I guess there is always one person in the class that you pray for right from the get go. He just struggled through a lot of the course, struggled to control the bike. It may have been the newness of the bike as the Breakout had paper tags. The HD Electra Glide pilot and myself had the most time riding other than the Beemer guy who was just coming back to riding after being away for 20 years.

I only scraped once in some S-curves which I'm glad I did as the instructors seemed to be wanting to hear some scraping. Mine was the only scrape other than Damian on the Suzuki. I made it through the 8 inside the basic course lines (in the ERC they allow you another 4' on each side) but it took several attempts. I tried my best to scrape in the 8 but she wouldn't do it.

The favorite part of the class was the finale where they let 3 of us go on a course of riding that was a lap consisting of a straight away with a real tight u-turn then back down the course but in a very tight set of S-curves to another tight u-turn and then repeat. So it was like a go cart course. I was lead for our pack and it was a thrill to leave the Wide Glide and Breakout and I eventually caught the Breakout. I so wanted to pass the kid but I pocketed my aggression and just tailed him for the last lap. After a few of those we reversed course and repeated with opposite direction turns.

What did I learn? Well I definitely do not utilize my front brake nearly enough. The instructors saw my timidness and keyed in on it during the hard breaking exercises. That was worth the $100 entry fee right there. By the end I had a ton more confidence of using the front brake. Clutch control was weak and probably still a bit weak. I'll practice some slow speed parking lot stuff to get better. Slow speed throttle utilization was another good point they drove home. I think I will make this a yearly event. $100 to drive with valued instruction on a closed course? Worth every penny IMO.

All in all it was a good morning and as the title says, the F6B stole the show. Both instructors had questions about what this animal was. All of the students were checking out the bike during water and snack breaks. I had a lot of questions to answer about the bike. Everyone seemed very impressed with the performance and the looks of the bike.

53driver
05-16-2015, 09:13 AM
...The favorite part of the class was the finale where they let 3 of us go on a course of riding that was a lap consisting of a straight away with a real tight u-turn then back down the course but in a very tight set of S-curves to another tight u-turn and then repeat. So it was like a go cart course. I was lead for our pack and it was a thrill to leave the Wide Glide and Breakout and I eventually caught the Breakout. I so wanted to pass the kid but I pocketed my aggression and just tailed him for the last lap. After a few of those we reversed course and repeated with opposite direction turns.

That's the peanut! Everyone loves doing that!

...What did I learn? Well I definitely do not utilize my front brake nearly enough. The instructors saw my timidness and keyed in on it during the hard breaking exercises. That was worth the $100 entry fee right there. By the end I had a ton more confidence of using the front brake. Clutch control was weak and probably still a bit weak. I'll practice some slow speed parking lot stuff to get better. Slow speed throttle utilization was another good point they drove home. I think I will make this a yearly event. $100 to drive with valued instruction on a closed course? Worth every penny IMO.

All in all it was a good morning and as the title says, the F6B stole the show. Both instructors had questions about what this animal was. All of the students were checking out the bike during water and snack breaks. I had a lot of questions to answer about the bike. Everyone seemed very impressed with the performance and the looks of the bike.

Very glad you found it to be worthwhile training - and I'm glad you are planning to go again.

See if they offer the "Advanced Rider Course." It's another one-day course, minimal bookwork, but you get to go....faster.
Also, those "not-quite-so-experienced-riders" tend not to show up to this course. Odds are pretty good you won't be 'lapping' anyone.
The course is an iteration of the military's sport bike course.
After that class, the next step is to visit Keith Code....

stroguy
05-16-2015, 09:25 AM
Oh crap. I might have gotten a big head and I'll be lapped. That would wound me and I might hang up my spurs.

I can't seem to find the ARC as you guys were referring, here in Houston. Bit deeper research maybe.

Limoles
05-16-2015, 10:00 AM
In NJ we have several methods of motorcycle riding improvements :

First is a Basic Rider Course (BRC)
This program is designed for both new and experienced riders . This is a great way to learn how to ride safely.

To complete the BRC you must:
Attend the entire course–if you are late you will not be admitted
Bring proper riding gear
Comply with all directions from the instructor
Demonstrate minimum acceptable standards for each exercise
Operate motorcycle in safe manner
Pass written knowledge test and riding skills evaluation

In another step , one can obtain Experienced Rider Course (ERC)
This course requires you to have a valid NJ motorcycle license or endorsement and your own motorcycle. The motorcycle must be registered and insured and pass a safety check.

To complete the ERC you must:
Provide proof of insurance and registration
Bring a federal DOT approved helmet and proper riding gear
Pass written knowledge test

In addition , I was able to complete Advanced Crash Course ( ACC ) for the motorcyclist .
It is a program , educating Law Enforcement members and EMS crews , which include :

Accident Scene Management
Advanced Bystander Assistance
Advanced Class Curriculum
Professional “Anatomy of a Motorcycle Crash”

Thru-ought so many years on the saddle , I always felt are many things which can be improved and upgrade the standard of interactive riding . It also gave me opportunities to compare levels of awareness and ways of controlling related stress.

I learned to be a leader at a scene as well as how to assist the EMS when they arrive.
One day ( and I wish never happened ) , it can be useful in helping others ( or being helped ) ,
because .... you never know .

bobbyf6b
05-16-2015, 10:27 AM
Very cool! It's been quite a few years since I took an ERC or ARC. I should do it on the B.

Regarding front brake, remember that our bike has linked brakes. When you pull the front brake some of the braking goes to the rear wheel too. I'm having trouble finding hard numbers but something like 70/30 or 60/40%. I have had a few panic stops and haven't locked up the tires. It's a very confidence building braking system and I love it.

ths61
05-16-2015, 11:46 AM
In our area, they have the riding course to get your license (MSF), but don't teach the ARC because the neighbors objected to the city about the student bike's loud pipes. The MSF license course uses the course owned bikes with quiet pipes where the ARC uses the student's bikes. Someone finally started teaching the "Ride Like A Pro" course out on the West coast a few years ago and I took it. It was a long day and a few departed early. I learned there is a lot yet to be learned to become second nature.

srt8-in-largo
05-16-2015, 09:52 PM
Awesome Stro; was this your first MSF class?

stroguy
05-17-2015, 06:49 AM
Yes, after basic course needed for the TX endorsement about 4 years ago. Should have went sooner. I will return again in a year or so. Wish I could find an ARC course like Steve is recommending but still no luck here in the Houston area. Only ERC courses from what I have found.

srt8-in-largo
05-17-2015, 10:44 PM
Same here Stro; I had the basic to get an endorsement and now looking for more trouble :icon_biggrin:

RickJ
05-18-2015, 06:59 AM
In NJ we have several methods of motorcycle riding improvements :

First is a Basic Rider Course (BRC)
This program is designed for both new and experienced riders . This is a great way to learn how to ride safely.

To complete the BRC you must:
Bring proper riding gear
Pass written knowledge test and riding skills evaluation

In another step , one can obtain Experienced Rider Course (ERC)
This course requires you to have a valid NJ motorcycle license or endorsement and your own motorcycle. The motorcycle must be registered and insured and pass a safety check.

To complete the ERC you must:
Provide proof of insurance and registration
Bring a federal DOT approved helmet and proper riding gear
Pass written knowledge test

In addition , I was able to complete Advanced Crash Course ( ACC ) for the motorcyclist .
It is a program , educating Law Enforcement members and EMS crews , which include :

Accident Scene Management
Advanced Bystander Assistance
Advanced Class Curriculum
Professional “Anatomy of a Motorcycle Crash”

Thru-ought so many years on the saddle , I always felt are many things which can be improved and upgrade the standard of interactive riding . It also gave me opportunities to compare levels of awareness and ways of controlling related stress.

I learned to be a leader at a scene as well as how to assist the EMS when they arrive.
One day ( and I wish never happened ) , it can be useful in helping others ( or being helped ) ,
because .... you never know .

Limoles,
do you know if the same progression of courses applies in NYS? Does the MSF sponsor all these? I took the basic, but realize there is a lot I don't know and some of my "instincts" could kill me!!- I should keep learning.

53driver
05-18-2015, 07:22 AM
Limoles,
do you know if the same progression of courses applies in NYS? Does the MSF sponsor all these? I took the basic, but realize there is a lot I don't know and some of my "instincts" could kill me!!- I should keep learning.

Rick,
www.msf-usa.org, click on Find a course, use your zip (13326) and then click on the buttons, expand the search radius as required.
Here are the BRC2 classes offered within 75 miles of your zip:

Cheers!

ReserveBum
05-18-2015, 07:41 AM
Limoles,

Rick
I have been to one of these Total Control classes and I am scheduled for another this weekend. It is an alternative to MSF and they get deeper into how the suspension affects riding plus practice and discuss trail braking. It helped me and I thought it was well run.
http://kickstartmts.com/product-category/total-control-arc/

Limoles
05-18-2015, 07:54 AM
Limoles,

Rick - I believe you've got information already . In addition , here are some more specifics to your discretion . Good luck - Learning is a beautiful thing and knowledge is a power .

New York
Driver Training Programs- Motorcycle Safety Program (MSP)
New York State Department of Motor Vehicles
6 Empire State Plaza, Room 412
Albany, NY 12228
Dan Montimurro
NYSMSP Coordinator
Tel: (518) 474-9830
Fax: (518) 473-0160
Email: dmont@dmv.state.ny.us
New York State Motorcycle Safety Program
434 Saratoga Rd.
Scotia, NY 12302
RiderCourse Information
www.nysmsp.org
(518) 384-0045
Ben Zadrozny
Program Manager
Tel: (518) 384-0045
Fax: (518) 384-0016
Email: bzadrozny@nysmsp.org

RickJ
05-18-2015, 01:15 PM
wow- thanks guys...ball is in my court now!!!