PDA

View Full Version : Nuviz Modular HUD Device

Limoles
05-16-2015, 12:11 PM
For many of us it can be very useful :

Sure - it was developed years ago for aerospace and military purpose , but now we can take advantage of existing technology .

HUD is an acronym for Heads-Up Display, which refers to any transparent display onto which information can be projected without the user having to look away from what they need to see. They were originally developed for aviators in the military, but they are finding increasing commercial use in the aviation and automobile industries.

In recent years, with the proliferation of tiny, feature packed devices like mobile phones and improvements in wireless technology, it is finally feasible to make HUD devices available in the commercial marketplace. Since motorcycle riders already wear helmets, and need to maintain attention to the road while operating various devices, they make the perfect customers for this emerging technology!

Nuviz is a joint venture between a company that develops optical devices for military and aerospace uses, and a software and mobile device development firm. Engineers from the two companies with a passion for riding teamed up to create a product perfect for motorcycling; the result is the Nuviz HUD device. It was recently funded successfully on Kickstarter, with delivery of the first round expected this summer!

Nuviz HUD is a small device that mounts to the outside of any GPS navigation and telemetric data in real time, and can control devices like your phone and camera via Bluetooth. The tiny screen is focused about 30 feet out, so you can maintain your focus at distance while viewing it.

Awesome!

Brian D
05-16-2015, 12:46 PM
Just another distraction. how about put the devices down and drive.

53driver
05-16-2015, 01:20 PM
Probably has its merits, but when I ride, I can not read my windscreen - bi-focals and progressive lenses will let me look low or high...and I'm not getting a new script.
If this is on the inside of my visor? That's going to be too close to get a good focus on with the glasses.

I don't often look down anyway....
- speed is a relative measure to other vehicles.
- gear is relative to speed and engine RPM
- RPMs are determined through ears and ass
- I do not want caution lights SUDDENLY flashing at me on a HUD disrupting my scan

Now, you want to give me a weather radar screen? Or a FLIR to find deer at night?
That would be nice....

Limoles
05-16-2015, 03:45 PM
O "Deers" - This is not for everybody . It's a matter of choice . It can be installed on helmet's jaw bar and it's of size of any popularly used bluetooth devices .

Actual information image can be moved to any conveniently chosen fragment of the shield and adjust for visible 1/10 - 1/8 of its size , so the picture is not as much destructive , as one can suspect .

As for weather forecast :
If is raining - I ride
If is not - I ride faster
Forget thunderstorms .

"Gifts" might reach any recipient , but must be pre-paid and delivery are scheduled for incoming Christmas , or sooner - if one can ... behave .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxABWlsPvyw

53driver
05-16-2015, 04:46 PM
Due out Summer of 2014....hmmm.
Seems we are a bit behind schedule.
Went to the App Store and no NuViz app is out there yet either.
I wait....
No worries.

Fla_rider
05-16-2015, 05:22 PM
Battery life 3-4 hrs. We need someone to invent better batteries ones that last months instead of hours.

Limoles
05-16-2015, 06:09 PM
Due out Summer of 2014....hmmm.
Seems we are a bit behind schedule.
Went to the App Store and no NuViz app is out there yet either.
I wait....
No worries.

Nuviz was introduced already in 2014
Apple has all variety of different apps , listed under HUD
I guess others provide consumers into the same channel .

stroguy
05-16-2015, 06:09 PM
Battery life 3-4 hrs. We need someone to invent better batteries ones that last months instead of hours.

The Russians and Chinese are working on that. Our hands are tied.

Limoles
05-16-2015, 06:26 PM

Technology is in constant progress - just one example :

http://news.panasonic.com/global/topics/2014/29437.html

srt8-in-largo
05-16-2015, 08:07 PM
This device isn't for me but it's cool as an insight into things to come; kudos to these guys for getting out there and making something like this.

Technology is in constant progress - just one example :

http://news.panasonic.com/global/topics/2014/29437.html

I wouldn't call that a progression, more like a re-application of current technology. 13mAh isn't going to power anything for very long.