PDA

View Full Version : Does Your State, Province, or Country Require...

srt8-in-largo
05-17-2015, 10:53 PM
... MSF rider training or an equivalent for a motorcycle license? If so, how long is the course and what cost?

Florida, USA : Yes. MSF Basic is required. 16 hours. $200.

ths61
05-17-2015, 10:58 PM
Nope (unless under 21), but you have less hoops to jump through when you go to DMV to get your license.

2 day course (1 day classroom, 1 day practical).

MRE - $180 for under 21 and $258 for 21 and over.

53driver
05-17-2015, 11:09 PM
PA - no. DMV is a PITA though.
The MSF BRC, BRC2 (formerly ERC), 3W BRC, and ARC course are free to all PA residents and out of state military.

BIGLRY
05-17-2015, 11:58 PM
Nope, but you have less hoops to jump through when you go to DMV to get your license.

2 day course (1 day classroom, 1 day practical).
Yep, here on the left coast The course is about $175 in my area of the central coast and only one provider locally.
Here are the DMV requirements.

To obtain a motorcycle license if you are under age 18 you must:

Be 16 years of age.

Have had your permit for six months.

Provide proof of driver education/driver training completion.

Provide a completion certificate from the motorcycle rider training course.

To obtain a motorcycle license if you are 18 or older you must:

Complete a Driver License or Identification Card Application form (DL 44). To obtain this form by mail, call DMV's automated phone service 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 1-800-777-0133.

Pay the application fee.

Pass a vision examination.

Study for and pass the written test.

Give a thumb print.

Have your picture taken

If you do not have a California driver license, you will also need to:

Present an acceptable birth date/legal presence document.

Provide your social security number.

Provide your true full name.

If you are under 21, you must provide a completion certificate from the motorcycle rider training course.

If you are over 21, you may complete and provide the completion certificate from the motorcycle rider training course OR schedule an Appointment(s) at DMV to take the motorcycle driving test.

And there is more:

How to apply for a motorcycle or moped driver license if you are over 18

There are two classes of motorcycle licenses, Class M1 and Class M2.
•With a Class M1, you can operate any 2-wheel motorcycle and any motorized bicycle in Class M2.
•With a Class M2, you can only operate any motorized bicycle or moped or any bicycle with an attached motor.

Effective January 1, 2006, you may operate a motorized scooter with a Class M1 or M2 driver license. Prior to January 1, 2006, you must have a Class C or higher driver license to operate a motorized scooter.

A motorized scooter is defined as: A two-wheeled "device" powered by a motor with a floorboard that is designed to stand on when riding. The scooter may also have a driver's seat.

Refer to the Motorcycle Driver Handbook for more information.

To apply for a motorcycle Class M1 or M2 permit, you will need to:
•Visit a DMV office (make an Appointment(s)for faster service)
•Complete application form DL 44 (An original DL 44 form must be submitted. Copies will not be accepted.)
•Give a thumb print
•Have your picture taken
•Pay the application fee
•Pass a vision exam
•Pass a knowledge test. You have three chances to pass the test.
•Provide a Certificate of Completion of Motorcycle Training (DL 389) from an approved California Highway Patrol (CHP) motorcycle training course, if you are under 21.

Note: To allow you sufficient time for testing, DMV will not be administering knowledge test after 4:30 p.m.

After studying both the California Driver and the Motorcycle Handbooks, call your local DMV to schedule your appointment for the knowledge test.

After completing the requirements, you will be issued an instruction permit to allow you to practice driving a motorcycle. You may not drive at night, on the freeway, or have any passengers with you.

To apply for your motorcycle Class M1 or M2 license, you must do one of the following:
•If you are under 21, you must hold the Class M1 or M2 permit for 6 months prior to the issuance of a motorcycle license. The skills test may be waived for a person presenting a valid DL 389.
•If you are over 21, you may either choose to complete the course by CHP and provide a valid DL 389 OR schedule an Appointment(s) at DMV to take the skills test. (You may also call 1-800-777-0133 between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday-Friday, to make a skills test appointment.) You have three chances to pass the test.
•If you are only applying for an original Class M1 or M2 and hold no other driver license, you may be required to perform an observation test.

For information about the CHP training course, please call 1-877-743-3411 or visit California Motorcyclist Safety Program.

After you have submitted your CHP certificate or passed your skills test, you will be issued an interim license valid for 90 days until you receive your new photo license in the mail. Double check your address before you leave DMV and tell the DMV representative if you have moved or if your address is incorrect. If you have not received your license after 60 days, call 1-800-777-0133 to check on the status. Have your interim license with you to provide information when requested.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy&urile=wcm:path:/dmv_content_en/dmv/dl/dl_info#two505

I received my Calif. MC endorsement when it became mandatory in 1973 or 1974 I had been riding on the street since I received my drivers license/permit in 1965. I grew up on my dad's H-D and have been on a MC since before I was born, mom rode behind pop up and until she was 7 months preg with me.
I only had to take the proficiency test consisting of doing a figure 8, shifting up one gear and back down, coming to a full stop and doing a 30' circle between two lines in the DMV parking lot.
It was a sight to see as I did it on my 1950 stretched 6" over springer, hard tail H-D panhead with fish tail straight pipes. I had a hell of a time making the circle with out putting a foot down.:icon_lol:

shooter
05-18-2015, 12:19 AM
Yep. 16 hrs. Varies in cost. About $250.

wjduke
05-18-2015, 04:30 AM
Not required in Mass, but you get a discount on insurance. It was nearly $300 when I took it in 2012. Don't recall specifics but it was a Saturday am class, afternoon on the course. Sunday almost all day on the course then test for the license. Well worth it, I might add.

tinkerman
05-18-2015, 04:34 AM
Here in Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada's most easterly province, you can do a weekend course that costs around $425...depending on provider. For an additional $20 you can fit in a road test which after some kind of waiting period provides you your license.

However, you do not need this course to get your license. You can write an exam, get a beginners permit which in theory requires you to have an experienced (4 years) rider on the bike with you and when you feel capable (after some official period of time) you can go do the road test with a provincial examiner. That's it......exactly the same as a car license.

tink

stroguy
05-18-2015, 05:30 AM
TEXAS is a yeppers. 2 day course and a written test at DMV to get an M endorsement which is lifetime.

2 days, about $200 - $250.

http://www.motorcyclerentalshouston.com/miscpage_006.asp

Don't know a bout TEXAS honoring other states if you have a motorcycle endorsement from your departing state.

flat6bagger
05-18-2015, 05:36 AM
Not here in Illinois.

jm21ddd15
05-18-2015, 06:01 AM
not in Wisconsin. Many insurance companies offer discounts if a person takes the course.

DaWadd
05-18-2015, 08:38 AM
Here in Manitoba you must take the MSF course too. 4 hours class time and 16 hours practical. $430 but you get $200 back if you pass. Then you must pass the road test from MPI.

opas ride
05-18-2015, 09:26 AM
If I remember right, here in Michigan it was a written test at the Sec. of State and then an actual riding test done by an independent instructor and if you passed both you got the endorsement on your license..Helps to reduce insurance costs a bit also I think....Ride safe

TitansFan
05-18-2015, 12:24 PM
It's not required in TN, but taking (and passing) the MSF Class lets you skip the driving and written exams at the DMV.

53driver
05-18-2015, 12:35 PM
PA - no. DMV is a PITA though.
The MSF BRC, BRC2 (formerly ERC), 3W BRC, and ARC course are free to all PA residents and out of state military.

I failed to mention that passing a BRC or a BRC2 will result in licensing without any further DMV interaction.

jaygollner
05-18-2015, 01:11 PM
I took the written test and then the riding test on my Valkyrie, no problem.

A motorcycle endorsement may be issued to Indiana residents who are at least 16 years and 180 days of age and hold a valid Indiana driver’s license.

To add a motorcycle endorsement to your Indiana driver’s license, you must provide proof you have successfully completed a Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV)-authorized Motorcycle Operator Safety Education Course OR have passed a motorcycle knowledge test based on the Indiana Motorcycle Operator's Manual, and passed a motorcycle riding skills test. You may also be required to pass a standard vision screening test. If you are less than 18 years of age when you apply for a motorcycle endorsement, you must have a parent or guardian sign an Agreement of Financial Liability.