PDA

View Full Version : New Tires and a Puzzling Discovery

Jimmytee
05-19-2015, 07:47 PM
So it was time for a new pair of shoes my F6B. I was considering putting Avon Cobras on ,but this is my first tire change on the F6B and I really didn't have any complaints about the Stones that came on it. So I went to my dealer who is just a couple miles from my house. I asked the parts guy what he could get me a set for. I told him what I could get them for from Wingstuff. He beat the price and I got the set for $310. Had them put on last Friday and I rode it home in pouring down rain for those 2 miles. Hadn't had a chance to ride her. It rained all weekend. Well tonight I rode her. This is where the puzzling discovery comes in. No more famous 40 mph front end wobble. :shrug: Not complaining about it , just trying to rationalize it. I mean , my bike had that wobble from new, just like about every other one.

53driver
05-19-2015, 07:51 PM
So it was time for a new pair of shoes my F6B. I was considering putting Avon Cobras on ,but this is my first tire change on the F6B and I really didn't have any complaints about the Stones that came on it. So I went to my dealer who is just a couple miles from my house. I asked the parts guy what he could get me a set for. I told him what I could get them for from Wingstuff. He beat the price and I got the set for $310. Had them put on last Friday and I rode it home in pouring down rain for those 2 miles. Hadn't had a chance to ride her. It rained all weekend. Well tonight I rode her. This is where the puzzling discovery comes in. No more famous 40 mph front end wobble. :shrug: Not complaining about it , just trying to rationalize it. I mean , my bike had that wobble from new, just like about every other one.

My bike didn't have the wobble until after my run to Daytona via the hills of NC & GA. (~7500 miles on the tires)
Someone mentioned the tires could be cupping a bit, and it did look that way in the front.
So, I put 43 psi in the front and am basically riding it out. Not crazy riding, just working the tire.
The wobble is less now than it was two months ago.

I dunno....

shooter
05-19-2015, 07:56 PM
I never had the wobble. Put 3000 on the stock stone. Went Dark side and put a new 888 on front with chrome rims.

wildrooster
05-19-2015, 08:15 PM
My triumph r3t would eat the rear time from the inside out and put it in a death wobble. The bike produced too much torque for the Bridgestone tires to handle. I wouldn't be surprised if this bike would produce simular results under certain conditions

valkmc
05-19-2015, 08:20 PM
The front end wobble is also a puzzle to me. I do not have it on my 6. I don't get it with the MC tire or the CT on the back. I also escaped it on my 12 Wing. Here's the part I do not get. I ride with a guy with a 12 Wing who bought his a week after I bought mine. Same front tire, same PSI (41). He has it. I have tried his and it is definitly there. How does one Wing. have it and another does not.

Texas TC
05-19-2015, 08:29 PM
I had it on my 2008 and 2012 full Wings. I have never had it on the F 6B. I put 17000 miles on my first front tire before I picked up a nail. The second rear tire had 16000+ miles when I changed it. The rear is now new and the front has 10000 miles. Still, I have not experienced any wobble ( knock on wood). I, too, run 41 psi air in my tires.

stroguy
05-19-2015, 08:40 PM
Funky kind of weird. Bad batch of tires? Bad balancing dude or dudette at the factory? Caliber torq not correct? Very interesting.

Steve 0080
05-19-2015, 08:40 PM
Tire pressure is the answer.... let it go a few miles and you are ______! until you get a new set !!! 41-41 is my answer some will vary...I got 20K+ out of the front...proof is in the puddin...

I check it like a freak !!!!!

stroguy
05-19-2015, 08:46 PM
I run 36 with nowobblyness.

53driver
05-19-2015, 09:04 PM
Tire pressure is the answer.... let it go a few miles and you are ______! until you get a new set !!! 41-41 is my answer some will vary...I got 20K+ out of the front...proof is in the puddin...

During the ride to Daytona, we started at -2 degrees in Harrisburg.
I was at 41/41 for the trip.
By the time I hit Daytona 5 days (and some hard riding) later, I did not re-check the pressure.
When I got back to Philly, 2400 miles later, it was 37.
So, perhaps.....

jm21ddd15
05-19-2015, 09:13 PM

No wobble for me, either. Guess I can say thanks to the F6 Forum. Read about tire pressures when I 1st got my 6, upped the pressure from 36 to 41. Have no wobble or cupping. Thanks to all in the Group! :biggthumpup:

bob109
05-19-2015, 09:20 PM
During the ride to Daytona, we started at -2 degrees in Harrisburg.
I was at 41/41 for the trip.
By the time I hit Daytona 5 days (and some hard riding) later, I did not re-check the pressure.
When I got back to Philly, 2400 miles later, it was 37.
So, perhaps.....

I'm in the Pocono's, Madisonville Pa. to be exact! 1830 feet above sea level. Departed Pa. in mid October with temps in the high seventies. Arrived in Florida two days later with temps in the low nineties and not much above sea level and both the front and rear tires were down in pressure approximately 3PSI. Aired them up and only once during my six month stay did I have to add air! IMHO temp and elevation will have a impact on pressure so it would be wise to monitor it regularly/closely:icon_wink:

Jimmytee
05-19-2015, 09:40 PM

No Steve, I'm religious with tire pressure. That's the puzzle. The front tire didn't appear cupped either. The front tire didn't absolutely have to be changed, I just like em both fresh.

Just glancing over the responses , I know I'm not the only one who has had their F6B have the front end wobble. the topic has been covered pretty thoroughly. The wobble was never something that was intrusive into the ride experience unless you took both hands off the handlebars right at about 40 mph. Now, however, it's not there.:shrug:

srt8-in-largo
05-19-2015, 09:41 PM
That must mean you made the right decision Jimmy :yes:

Jimmytee
05-19-2015, 09:47 PM
That must mean you made the right decision Jimmy :yes:

It was an unexpected surprise. As someone else commented, I'm wondering how well the originals were balanced?

Steve 0080
05-19-2015, 10:20 PM
I pulled the weights off my new tires and put in Dyna Beads... on the new front I added Rideon...who knows, really to many variables...

Jimmytee
05-20-2015, 05:07 AM
I pulled the weights off my new tires and put in Dyna Beads... on the new front I added Rideon...who knows, really to many variables...

I've got beads in my Valkyrie. Don't remember the name brand. <y only gripe with them is that they required a different type of valve cores to prevent the beads from getting stuck on standard valve cores. That's fine, but they still get stuck often in the special valve stems. It's a crap shoot when you go to check the tire pressure. Quite often I pull the tire pressure gauge away and the valve core is stuck blowing air out the stem. If I don't have an air hose ready the tire will go flat. Usually , when it happens, a quick blast of air from the air hose dislodges whatever in the valve stem and all is well again.:icon_rolleyes:

I've talked to others with similar experiences so I know I am not the only one. Not a great big deal, but an annoyance for sure.

Jimmytee
05-20-2015, 05:08 AM

I've got beads in my Valkyrie. Don't remember the name brand. The only gripe with them is that they required a different type of valve cores to prevent the beads from getting stuck on standard valve cores. That's fine, but they still get stuck often in the special valve stems. It's a crap shoot when you go to check the tire pressure. Quite often I pull the tire pressure gauge away and the valve core is stuck blowing air out the stem. If I don't have an air hose ready the tire will go flat. Usually , when it happens, a quick blast of air from the air hose dislodges whatever in the valve stem and all is well again.:icon_rolleyes:

I've talked to others with similar experiences so I know I am not the only one. Not a great big deal, but an annoyance for sure.

JackB
05-20-2015, 05:35 AM
So how many miles did you get out of your tires?

Jimmytee
05-20-2015, 05:54 AM
So how many miles did you get out of your tires?

That's a disappointing answer. Only 9k, but that's in the neighborhood of what I usually get out of the Avons on the Valkyrie.:icon_rolleyes:
I know others have reported much higher mileage figures, but only thing I can figure is I ride harder. I do keep a tight regiment on tire pressure. My front didn't have to be changed quite yet, but I wanted both tires fresh.

jm21ddd15
05-20-2015, 06:37 AM
What type/ style air pressure gauge are you guys using? I have 5 different gauges, and get a slightly different reading on each one. Some are cheap gauges, some not so. They will vary from1-3 lbs. Maybe some of you know the "best" gauge, and where to get it.

Jimmytee
05-20-2015, 07:17 AM
What type/ style air pressure gauge are you guys using? I have 5 different gauges, and get a slightly different reading on each one. Some are cheap gauges, some not so. They will vary from1-3 lbs. Maybe some of you know the "best" gauge, and where to get it.

I don't remember the brand, but both gauges I use are digital.

vmaxed
05-20-2015, 07:55 AM

Jimmy..I have had that happen too me many times over the years on my Goldwings.Change the tires and the wobble goes away next set it comes back:shrug:

racer
05-20-2015, 11:32 AM
7000 miles and never a wobble. Had the 6 almost a year now. I should probably check the air pressure. Haven't yet.

Jimmytee
05-20-2015, 11:57 AM
7000 miles and never a wobble. Had the 6 almost a year now. I should probably check the air pressure. Haven't yet.

Try riding at 38 to 42 mph and removing both hands from the handlebar. It is very subtle and only occurs between those speeds. If you take your hands off the handlebars at those speeds and no wobble, then that is where I seem to be withthe new tires. Before the new tires, I'd get a wobble if I removed both hands anywhere between 38 and 42 mph and then it goes completely away above or below those speeds. I could feel it sometimes with a hand on the handlebars but mainly because I was consciously aware of it and looking for it.

stroguy
05-20-2015, 12:33 PM
38 and 42 check. Will make some low speed testing and report back post haste.

racer
05-20-2015, 01:54 PM
Try riding at 38 to 42 mph and removing both hands from the handlebar. It is very subtle and only occurs between those speeds. If you take your hands off the handlebars at those speeds and no wobble, then that is where I seem to be withthe new tires. Before the new tires, I'd get a wobble if I removed both hands anywhere between 38 and 42 mph and then it goes completely away above or below those speeds. I could feel it sometimes with a hand on the handlebars but mainly because I was consciously aware of it and looking for it.

OH! That explains it. Don't know why I would ride with no hands. Doesn't sound like a good idea. I guess I will never experience the wobble "issue". :icon_cool:

Jimmytee
05-20-2015, 06:14 PM
OH! That explains it. Don't know why I would ride with no hands. Doesn't sound like a good idea. I guess I will never experience the wobble "issue". :icon_cool:

Well, not that I'm suggesting that everyone go around riding with no hands on the handlebars. It's just to illustrate how subtle the wobble is. Literally , if you just have a finger on the grip, you could stop the wobble and it was only between those speeds I mentioned.:icon_rolleyes:
Oh, I could sometimes feel it with my hands on the bars, but you would really have to be looking for it.

Quite a few chiming in that they have never had the wobble and I just wonder if they have it and have not noticed it.

srt8-in-largo
05-20-2015, 08:50 PM

I use the Accutire MS-4400B. Idk how accurate it is but it seems reasonable. I particularly like the easy useability; it's always ready to go... no need to press any buttons, just insert it and get your reading. Go to the next tire and repeat. When done, again no need to press any button, just put it away.

I started wondering when the battery would die; with my luck itd be when I need it the most so I bought a mechanical analog gauge to carry on the bike; Slime from Autozone I believe.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006NZVMTY/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Quite a few chiming in that they have never had the wobble and I just wonder if they have it and have not noticed it.

I'm kinda wondering that about myself :icon_biggrin:

jm21ddd15
05-20-2015, 09:01 PM
[QUOTE=srt8-in-largo;78899]I use the Accutire MS-4400B. Idk how accurate it is but it seems reasonable. I particularly like the easy useability; it's always ready to go... no need to press any buttons, just insert it and get your reading. Go to the next tire and repeat. When done, again no need to press any button, just put it away.

Thanks for the info on the gauge. I'll hunt one down soon, and test it against my other 5. :icon_biggrin:

DarkKnt
05-22-2015, 11:44 PM
I've just replaced the original tires at 20,000 kms. For the last few thousand km's, I've noticed a significant loss of slow speed stability and front end "feel". The original 'stones had center tread left (approx 1 mm), yet the profile must have changed to the point that the bike just didn't feel right. It felt like it had over boosted power steering, and would tram - line like crazy at speed. Most noticably, it would wobble back and forth as I came to a gradual stop in urban traffic, making me feel like a total newb. The final straw was a ride around a regular route where I normally have all kinds of bits dragging, yet I couldn't come close to a reasonable pace. The bike just felt wrong.. So, on went the new Bridgestones, and I can't believe the difference. I can actually feel the front end again, and she feels like NOTHING will push her off line.. Just like I remember. Just thought I'd bring it up, because to look at my old tires, you really wouldn't have thought they were done. So I guess that 15,000kms (call it 10k miles), is about all they will do...

Jimmytee
05-23-2015, 03:34 AM
I've just replaced the original tires at 20,000 kms. For the last few thousand km's, I've noticed a significant loss of slow speed stability and front end "feel". The original 'stones had center tread left (approx 1 mm), yet the profile must have changed to the point that the bike just didn't feel right. It felt like it had over boosted power steering, and would tram - line like crazy at speed. Most noticably, it would wobble back and forth as I came to a gradual stop in urban traffic, making me feel like a total newb. The final straw was a ride around a regular route where I normally have all kinds of bits dragging, yet I couldn't come close to a reasonable pace. The bike just felt wrong.. So, on went the new Bridgestones, and I can't believe the difference. I can actually feel the front end again, and she feels like NOTHING will push her off line.. Just like I remember. Just thought I'd bring it up, because to look at my old tires, you really wouldn't have thought they were done. So I guess that 15,000kms (call it 10k miles), is about all they will do...

I didn't really seem to notice any what I'd call instability. I did immediately realized what a difference there was with the new tires. I usually experience that feeling with new tires on my Valkyrie. But I think you're right, it seemed a little more obvious this time with the F6B. My thoughts were that I didn't realize how much the handling had changed as it happens so gradually over the course of tire wear. This was my first tire change with the F6B. On my next one, I might go ahead and try the Avon Cobras out of curiosity.

Amipro
05-23-2015, 08:54 AM
Had a bad wobble on my 1500 due to tire cupping. New tires cured the wobble. Was suggested to install a fork brace to help the cupping.
Installed one on my B with a couple hundred miles on the bike. So far no wobble but only have about 3k on her. Don't know how many miles it would take for the wobble to show up (if it does). Will be keeping a sharp eye on tire pressures from now on.