PDA

View Full Version : Smart mount driver back rest modification

toy_collector
05-19-2015, 09:02 PM
I thought I'd share for those of you that can't quite get comfortable on the stock seat with the smart mount driver back rest. I made a couple modifications, first I contoured the foam. I scooped out the foam in the center of the pad to more closely match the shape of my back using a combination of a sharp bread knife and finishing it off with a rotozip with a routing tool. This made a HUGE improvement over the standard flat pad that was there. Secondly I couldn't quite get the pad down low enough so I turned the mount on the pad over (flipped it around 180 deg horizontally and vertically) and then bought two 1/4" nylon spacers and two 3/4" m6 stainless steal button head cap screws and mounted the pad as shown in the pictures below (picture 149 shows it as low as it goes mounted as they instruct and picture 153 is the new position). This made all the difference and the back rest no longer pushes my jacket up every time I ride.

One last mod I made was to replace the bolt that acted as a hinge and mounted the backrest to the bike with a hitch pin and hitch pin clip so that the back rest can be easily and quickly removed when I want to carry a passenger. My wife hated the way the pad pushed into her legs when we went riding so I can now remove it in less than 5 sec.

Steve 0080
05-19-2015, 09:47 PM
Very Nice !!!