PDA

View Full Version : Was between the Concours and F6B.....

Redlinez
05-20-2015, 09:28 AM
Sounds weird I'm sure. History on me, all my previous bikes were sportbikes. Started in 92 with a Kawasaki ZX6D, next was a 95 CBR600F3, 99 ZX9R, another 95 CBR600, 04 GSXR600, and my last bike was a 08 CBR1000RR in 09 that I sold in Dec 09. So my wife recently pointed out a Vulcan type bike with leather saddlebags and how she would ride one of those. I said there's no way I'm riding a bike with leather bags (not at all my style), but that I would find something with hard bags. The first bike I rode was a Ninja 1000 and I loved it! But her seat position and cushion wasn't much better than a sport bike. I went back to the dealer this past Saturday with the full intention of getting a new 14 Concours in cardinal red. When we went the weekend before, she immediately went over to the Goldwings and began her drooling. A co-worker has a black 13 F6B, so I told her that bike was out of the question. And I don't do big cruiser type bikes.... Last week he was telling me over and over that I needed to test ride one.
So last Saturday I rode the C14 (and was nowhere near as impressed as I was with the Ninja 1000), then the F6B. What a shocker! I love cars that have great bottom end torque, like newer 4 cylinder turbo cars. The F6B has all that and then some. I stood around and walked around talking to my boss at that dealer last Saturday for at least an hour and a half weighing out the differences as I could only go with a new 15 F6B in blue. I don't do bright red or black, but they were blowing those out for $14,999. It was also $6000 more than the C14. So I ordered a F6B in blue. It's supposed to be there late next week and I'm pretty excited about it. Look forward to seeing what it's like to ride and not be in pain as well as having my wife with me. We plan to do some weekend getaways in the NC mountains as well.
Sorry such a long first post, but I figured someone might enjoy it!

vmaxed
05-20-2015, 10:04 AM
'welcome gang' you are going to like it and your wife is going to love it.:yes:

Redlinez
05-20-2015, 10:06 AM
I can honestly say that my decision was based on making sure my wife would enjoy riding. If not, I would have jumped back on a Ninja 1000 as I loved that bike. First bike I've ridden where I didn't have weight on my wrists, but still felt like it would handle great and had awesome power. Loved it in blue too, very similar to the F6B blue. I actually considered the Goldwing Anniversary bike, but the jump from the Concours prisewise was more than enough.

USMARINE
05-20-2015, 10:08 AM
Welcome , and enjoy the ride; you made a WISE choice

:icon_lol:

valkmc
05-20-2015, 10:17 AM
I can honestly say that my decision was based on making sure my wife would enjoy riding. If not, I would have jumped back on a Ninja 1000 as I loved that bike. First bike I've ridden where I didn't have weight on my wrists, but still felt like it would handle great and had awesome power. Loved it in blue too, very similar to the F6B blue. I actually considered the Goldwing Anniversary bike, but the jump from the Concours prisewise was more than enough.

I had a C-14 before my Wing. I loved that bike. Rode it from Ocala to Alaska and back. The only problem was the wife hated it. Said the passenger set up was horrible. I had a seat mod done by Spencer and it was better but not great. She would do short rides but would not go on long ones and since we are both school employees with the summer off it was a problem. Got to make the other half happy so we went with a Wing for a couple of years and now own a 6.

CopperMike
05-20-2015, 10:47 AM
Congrats! Similar story here. I love it and my wife loves it. Can't wait for this summer and get some trips in.

Redlinez
05-20-2015, 10:59 AM
I sat on the back of the C14 and felt like I was sliding forward. There really was no comparison as far as passenger comfort goes. The bottom end /low rpm torque was no contest either. I felt like the C14 was weak, probably made worse by riding the Ninja 1000 too. My favorite sportbikes are the 04-05 GSXR750 and 05-06 Kawasaki ZX6R (636).
I did briefly consider the FJR, but my guy doesn't sell them.

Steve 0080
05-20-2015, 11:17 AM
First congrats on the F6...the Concours is w/o a doubt a rocket ship...I don't like my weight on my wrists and the torque is better on the F6...and besides where can you go 180 MPH....

Redlinez
05-20-2015, 11:41 AM
I have done some high speed runs, but I'm not after that with a bike for both of us. I'll see how it goes with the F6B, but I'm pretty sure I will want something sporty with handlebars, as an additional bike. Aprilia Tuono, Ninja 1000, etc.

jm21ddd15
05-20-2015, 01:47 PM
I have done some high speed runs, but I'm not after that with a bike for both of us. I'll see how it goes with the F6B, but I'm pretty sure I will want something sporty with handlebars, as an additional bike. Aprilia Tuono, Ninja 1000, etc.
:yes: Good choice with the F6. With your history of sport bikes, you probably will pick up another. One can never have too many bikes in the garage. But I'll bet you'll find yourself on the F6 more than the sport bike! Welcome! .welcome20.

grendl
05-20-2015, 06:04 PM
OF the bikes I have had The F6 is now my new love. When I got it,I had and still have my '96 CBR1000f. It is a great machine and I still ride it when I have my 'need for speed' urges.
Since I have had the F6 it gets ridden less and less. I have gone to the garage with a firm decision to ride the Hurricane and change my mind and end up rolling out on the Wing.Plenty of torque from most any speed,handles beautifully and more comfortable for long runs. And the rides get longer what was a morning ride turns into an all day run.
Good decision IMO,you are going to love it!
Welcome !

Fla_rider
05-21-2015, 06:28 PM
'welcome gang' from tampa, my wife loves the F6B. Hopefully you'll join us at the annual Rally in Franklin NC.

seadog
05-21-2015, 07:56 PM
I thought that was going to be my next bike had seen a few but the red just stood out, but at the dealership what also stood out was the hard bags. They kind of looked like an after thought and without being designed into the motorcycle were like a sore thumb, just stuck out. They had a matte Silver 2015 Deluxe sitting there and I had heard enough about them and made the deal on the F6, have not regretted my decision yet, about 750 miles on the new ride.
You will like your decision also, Happy wife, Happy life. What a worthwhile machine.:clap2::clap2::clap2:

buda315
05-21-2015, 08:44 PM
Agreed. I test road a Concours as well and just for them to get it off the showroom floor was a nightmare with the bags sticking way out. You also bump them when swinging a leg over. It was a nice bike for sure, a bit top heavy. Powerful, but definitely higher in the rev range. I liked it, but was not in love with the looks. For me, I like the FJR1300 better. Smaller, lighter, more torque lower in the rev range, much less overall width. I'm coming off a Hayabusa and Vulcan 2000 (2053 cc's!!!) so speed and torque are all relative. I really like the idea of sports tourers. I also test road a BMW 1600GT and that was awesome. A really, really well thought out bike, but expensive. And again, not in love with the looks of a sports tourer even though I actually prefer the riding position.

For me, the F6B fit what I was looking for. A broad power band, sporty cruiser, with accommodations for wife, kids and stuff. Plus, of course the radio which I really like. Also, I enjoy looking at the F6B more. It seems more cohesive without the afterthoughts of stick on luggage compartments.

Just my humble opinion.

I thought that was going to be my next bike had seen a few but the red just stood out, but at the dealership what also stood out was the hard bags. They kind of looked like an after thought and without being designed into the motorcycle were like a sore thumb, just stuck out. They had a matte Silver 2015 Deluxe sitting there and I had heard enough about them and made the deal on the F6, have not regretted my decision yet, about 750 miles on the new ride.
You will like your decision also, Happy wife, Happy life. What a worthwhile machine.:clap2::clap2::clap2:

hiflyer
05-21-2015, 09:13 PM
Call me a sentimental old coot, but I miss the original Concours. I had two of them. A bit buzzy, but I loved the bike. The first time I saw one was 1989 in Gunnison CO. I was on a sportster, no windshield, leather bags thrown over the seat. Guy passed me like I was sitting still. When we pulled into town, met up at the gas station, I wasn't about to tell him I wished I was on his bike instead of mine. Bought one shortly after. Even today I still think it's one of the best looking bikes ever built.

valkmc
05-21-2015, 09:29 PM
Call me a sentimental old coot, but I miss the original Concours. I had two of them. A bit buzzy, but I loved the bike. The first time I saw one was 1987 in Gunnison CO. I was on a sportster, no windshield, leather bags thrown over the seat. Guy passed me like I was sitting still. When we pulled into town, met up at the gas station, I wasn't about to tell him I wished I was on his bike instead of mine. Bought one shortly after. Even today I still think it's one of the best looking bikes ever built.
Yes they were cool in their day. I agree the bags didn't look all that good but boy were they functional. I love bags that come off and can be carried into the hotel room! If I added a second bike for just me, I would have a C-14 parked next to the 6

Hornblower
05-22-2015, 07:43 AM
Don't really miss my C14...yes, it was faster, lighter, and a bit easier to manage in the twisties but overall, there's no looking back :biggthumpup:

Redlinez
05-22-2015, 09:51 AM
Funny thing is, I was all about the red Concours. Loved the looks and the color. What messed it up for me was riding the Ninja 1000 the weekend before. Once I decided to entertain my wife's desires and rode the F6B, it became choosing between a sporty sport tourer Ninja and the F6B. I already knew from an honest Ninja owner that only his 7 year old enjoys riding on it. It's a great one up sport tourer and I will hopefully end up with one or one of my favorite sportbikes from 10 years ago. Then again, after I get some saddle time on this bike, my opinion may change.
Here's the worst part, they called me this morning to tell me it's in!!!! I'm headed out with my family right after work to stay in a cabin at the Fancy Gap VA KOA campground, so I can't go get it til next week or possibly next Saturday.......:022: