PDA

View Full Version : Speaker upgrade worthwhile?

Davidk
05-20-2015, 07:34 PM
Just bought a new 2013 F6B last Saturday. I am running my iPhone GPS into a bluetooth helmet speaker. I have a usb thumb drive hooked up and running the music through the onboard amp and speakers. Even though the music sounds better from my iPhone and helmet speaker, I prefer to have the music through the bike so I can easily switch it off or lower the volume while keeping my iPhone GPS running.

I am not impressed with the sound quality of the onboard speakers. This is my first bike with speakers so I don't know it is the wind thats causing a problem or the speaker quality is poor. Is it worthwhile to upgrade the speakers? If so, to what? I wear a full-face helmet, so the helmet is reducing the sound as well.

wildrooster
05-20-2015, 08:01 PM
I have had some sort of speakers on every bike I have had and these are some pretty good speakers. I run it on 15 and use my phone for the music via Bluetooth to the bike and haven't had a bit of a problem hearing it even at interstate speed. I do think I will get the j&m speakers when they are available to see if that brings it up a notch. I may see about adding on rear speakers when I can find a plug and play set

BIGLRY
05-20-2015, 08:23 PM
Just bought a new 2013 F6B last Saturday. I am running my iPhone GPS into a bluetooth helmet speaker. I have a usb thumb drive hooked up and running the music through the onboard amp and speakers. Even though the music sounds better from my iPhone and helmet speaker, I prefer to have the music through the bike so I can easily switch it off or lower the volume while keeping my iPhone GPS running.

I am not impressed with the sound quality of the onboard speakers. This is my first bike with speakers so I don't know it is the wind thats causing a problem or the speaker quality is poor. Is it worthwhile to upgrade the speakers? If so, to what? I wear a full-face helmet, so the helmet is reducing the sound as well.One thing to conceder is the windshield... the taller the shield the better the OEM speakers will sound, to a point.
Now I will tell ya I changed my speakers almost as soon as I could. I did not go with some of the higher grade ones that require mods to mount them like some guys have, but just a small upgrade with the J&M plug and play direct fit. I like the sound quality, they are an improvement over the OEM IMO and meets my needs.

Davidk
05-20-2015, 08:41 PM
One thing to conceder is the windshield... the taller the shield the better the OEM speakers will sound, to a point.
Now I will tell ya I changed my speakers almost as soon as I could. I did not go with some of the higher grade ones that require mods to mount them like some guys have, but just a small upgrade with the J&M plug and play direct fit. I like the sound quality, they are an improvement over the OEM IMO and meets my needs.

I have the OEM tall windshield. I don't want to do mods. Can you give me a link to the J&M direct fit please?

wildrooster
05-20-2015, 09:01 PM
http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail.asp?ProductID=FSPU-GL06

buda315
05-20-2015, 09:20 PM
I'm also thinking of a speaker upgrade.

I've narrowed choices to 5 options, each are 6.5'' speaker which is bigger than the stock 5.25''. All, from what I have read, are superior to the J&M speakers.

As mentioned, they may take some minor fab work.

Anyone want to chime in on the following options from Polk:

MM6501
MM651

DB6501
DB 651

DXI651

Not sure about the original poster, but I do not intend to add an amplifier or anything else besides the speakers.

Soo... I'm not sure if the MM series above, which are more expensive, would be worth it without an amp.

Personally, I am looking for clarity only and perhaps a slight increase in volume.

I don't know $hit about install, so I'm not sure if the "01" series with separate tweeters and crossover will be above my abilities to install.

The DXI651 series got good reviews, better than the DB series, by someone on the board, but it does not look like it is marine grade.

Jimmytee
05-20-2015, 09:35 PM

I've narrowed choices to 5 options, each are 6.5'' speaker which is bigger than the stock 5.25''. All, from what I have read, are superior to the J&M speakers.

MM6501
MM651

DB6501
DB 651

DXI651

Not sure about the original poster, but I do not intend to add an amplifier or anything else besides the speakers.

Soo... I'm not sure if the MM series above, which are more expensive, would be worth it without an amp.

Personally, I am looking for clarity only and perhaps a slight increase in volume.

I don't know $hit about install, so I'm not sure if the "01" series with separate tweeters and crossover will be above my abilities to install.

The DXI651 series got good reviews, better than the DB series, by someone on the board, but it does not look like it is marine grade.

If you're not adding a new amplifier to the mix, then I'd probably steer clear of the MM series Polks.

Dirtstiff's F6B
05-20-2015, 10:44 PM

MM6501
MM651

DB6501
DB 651

DXI651

I installed the DXI 651 Polks.
Better volume and base.
Best utilizing these with an amp as the oem system doesn't have enough umph to bring them to their full potential. For a speaker only upgrade, they sound as good as oem before distorting, but with 1.5 % more volume.
They are Marine grade, by the way. I also pondered the DB vs the DXI and contacted Polk for an answer. They said they were both Marine rated and the DXI would have clearer highs.
I've had both. They both do best amplified.
By the way, the 5.25's are rated about the same. Think I might throw a pair of these I have on the bench, in. Just to hear any difference.
Did I say amp....

Jim

buda315
05-20-2015, 11:06 PM
So you are the one who installed DXI651's. For the life of me, I could not locate your post again.

So they are marine rated.... hmmm. Choices.

Were you able to fit the 6.5'' speaker and still keep the oem tweeters in play?

If anyone else has any pros/cons for the DB651 vs. the DXI651, I'd like to hear it. I think I have decided on the coaxial vs. component speakers for ease of installation. I'm mechanically and musically disadvantaged. :banghead:

I installed the DXI 651 Polks.
Better volume and base.
Best utilizing these with an amp as the oem system doesn't have enough umph to bring them to their full potential. For a speaker only upgrade, they sound as good as oem before distorting, but with 1.5 % more volume.
They are Marine grade, by the way. I also pondered the DB vs the DXI and contacted Polk for an answer. They said they were both Marine rated and the DXI would have clearer highs.
I've had both. They both do best amplified.
By the way, the 5.25's are rated about the same. Think I might throw a pair of these I have on the bench, in. Just to hear any difference.
Did I say amp....

Jim

Wmorgan2k
05-20-2015, 11:24 PM
I used the same polks on the Wing and they do sound a tick better but could use an amp. You get a bit more volume and bass but not a huge difference. Again needs an amp. For me they fine and you can hook the stock tweeters up as well. you do have the grind the trim on the speaker a bit to get the dash bezel back on but not to bad a job.

The F6B is fine for me I put my OEM Wing windshield on which flows nicely and make sure you turn the auto volume on makes a big difference. Oh and the sound enhance whatever they call it. Hold the MODE button down and it's in there.

buda315
05-20-2015, 11:38 PM
I used the same polks on the Wing and they do sound a tick better but could use an amp. You get a bit more volume and bass but not a huge difference. Again needs an amp. For me they fine and you can hook the stock tweeters up as well. you do have the grind the trim on the speaker a bit to get the dash bezel back on but not to bad a job.

The F6B is fine for me I put my OEM Wing windshield on which flows nicely and make sure you turn the auto volume on makes a big difference. Oh and the sound enhance whatever they call it. Hold the MODE button down and it's in there.

You used the DXI651? Why did you choose these vs. the DB series?

Do you feel this small upgrade without the amp is even worth it?

BIGLRY
05-21-2015, 12:56 AM
http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail.asp?ProductID=FSPU-GL06Yep them's the ones I bought, but looking around I found them for $10 cheaper on Amazon, but I don't see them listed there now.:shrug:

ths61
05-21-2015, 01:19 AM
http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail.asp?ProductID=FSPU-GL06

J&M's website indicates they are pre-order only, ETA 09/01/2015.

I see other F6B parts are also out of stock including SoCalMotoGear's switchback kits and HID kits.

flat6bagger
05-21-2015, 05:40 AM
No way will I prepay for something that is "estimated" to be shipped four months from now.
They should have a waiting list and charge when the product is ready to ship.
If you called them and said,"I will send (whatever product you bought from them and were returning it for a refund) back in 4 months,but give me a full refund now" would they do it?
Let me answer that...
He!! no.

LacoocheeBoy
05-21-2015, 11:00 AM
I took out the original speakers and replaced them with Alpine 5.25" with built-in tweeters. The minute that I put on my favorite rock the speakers started to clip. So now I have to do something else because I can only listen to the speakers at about half volume and even though the overall sound quality is clearer when any bass is added to the speakers they are useless. I want to add an amp but I'm not excited about tearing the bike apart to make that happen. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Jimmytee
05-21-2015, 04:03 PM
I took out the original speakers and replaced them with Alpine 5.25" with built-in tweeters. The minute that I put on my favorite rock the speakers started to clip. So now I have to do something else because I can only listen to the speakers at about half volume and even though the overall sound quality is clearer when any bass is added to the speakers they are useless. I want to add an amp but I'm not excited about tearing the bike apart to make that happen. Any ideas would be appreciated.

When you say clip, what do you mean? Clipping is usually a term ascribed to amplifiers. What are the model of the speakers you chose?

I know that with the Polk MM series speakers I installed, I did a comparison between the OEM amp and the new amp I installed powering the Polk speakers. To be honest, if I had not installed an amp, I would have reverted to the stock speakers before running the Polk MM series on the OEM amp. It takes more amp to make the Polks come alive and function properly.

Dirtstiff's F6B
05-21-2015, 09:29 PM
So you are the one who installed DXI651's. For the life of me, I could not locate your post again.

So they are marine rated.... hmmm. Choices.

Were you able to fit the 6.5'' speaker and still keep the oem tweeters in play?

If anyone else has any pros/cons for the DB651 vs. the DXI651, I'd like to hear it. I think I have decided on the coaxial vs. component speakers for ease of installation. I'm mechanically and musically disadvantaged. :banghead:

Yes, 6.5's and the oem tweeters. They sound better than stock but far from really good.Amp..Amp.. power.
Easy install if you can manage some hand tools. Protect the magnets from metal shavings.

F6BLK
02-12-2016, 02:57 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AgNA6j6zZQ

F6BLK
02-19-2016, 10:07 PM
One thing to conceder is the windshield... the taller the shield the better the OEM speakers will sound, to a point.

Put the shorty (stock) shield on you can't hear sh*t!!I run my shorty July And Aug when its hot here!Have the j+M's in the box ready to install! super stoked!!'gw-smiley'