PDA

View Full Version : Clearview Windshield height question

buda315
05-20-2015, 08:52 PM
I am anxiously waiting for a new large Clearview windshield light gray sport with recurve.

I am aware that they come in 3 sizes, small, medium and large, measuring 14'', 15'' and 16'', respectively, as measured from the center dash emblem to the top of shield.

I am a little nervous that the tall will be too tall for my height (5' 7.5'' with 29-30'' inseam) and be at eye level.

In short, does anyone know how it would compare to a stock Goldwing shield at its lowest level (16.5'') as measured from the rubber seal?

Or for those of you who have a Clearview do you know how long it is as measured the traditional way from the rubber seal?

The Goldwing at its lowest position is pretty good for me, perhaps an inch lower would be even better.

I would like to know how it compares to this known reference point.

toy_collector
05-20-2015, 09:36 PM
I am anxiously waiting for a new large Clearview windshield light gray sport with recurve.

I am aware that they come in 3 sizes, small, medium and large, measuring 14'', 15'' and 16'', respectively, as measured from the center dash emblem to the top of shield.

I am a little nervous that the tall will be too tall for my height (5' 7.5'' with 29-30'' inseam) and be at eye level.

In short, does anyone know how it would compare to a stock Goldwing shield at its lowest level (16.5'') as measured from the rubber seal?

Or for those of you who have a Clearview do you know how long it is as measured the traditional way from the rubber seal?

The Goldwing at its lowest position is pretty good for me, perhaps an inch lower would be even better.

I would like to know how it compares to this known reference point.

I have the exact shield you are waiting for. I found it to be slightly shorter than the tall Honda one. For your height it should work perfectly. It does depend on which seat you have and how tall you sit in the saddle though. I'm currently using the stock seat with a back rest and I actually used a Rotozip to elongate the holes to get the shield a little taller. I'm 6'1" though and I sit pretty tall.

Fla_rider
05-20-2015, 09:56 PM
I have clear views tallest, I'm 5'7" but sit tall on a stock seat and can see the road 30ft in front of me over the screen.

buda315
05-20-2015, 10:13 PM
I have clear views tallest, I'm 5'7" but sit tall on a stock seat and can see the road 30ft in front of me over the screen.

That's good to hear. I too sit on a stock seat.

So, if you had to redo, you would not get the medium to have the top edge less close to your field of vision?

They are making my shield tomorrow or Tuesday, so this is my last chance to chose size.

If it's shorter than Honda tall OEM, than I will probably be happy.

If anyone gets a chance to measure their tall from the rubber, I'd appreciate it to alleviate my concern..

And... I'm just curious how it compares to the Honda unit.

Thanks everybody for responding.

Fla_rider
05-21-2015, 01:49 PM
My clearview is my third windscreen. I wouldn't change a thing on it. I hear the radio at 14 doing 80. I have a vent for the heat in Florida and the curve at the top takes the wind over my helmet preventing wind turbelance. You should be good to go! Here is a pic of mine.

buda315
05-21-2015, 03:36 PM
Hard to tell from picture. Is yours the wider touring one?

Thanks for the reassurance. Can't wait to get it. Suddenly I can't stand wind noise in my maturing age.

My clearview is my third windscreen. I wouldn't change a thing on it. I hear the radio at 14 doing 80. I have a vent for the heat in Florida and the curve at the top takes the wind over my helmet preventing wind turbelance. You should be good to go! Here is a pic of mine.

Fla_rider
05-21-2015, 05:44 PM
Yes the wider one

Amipro
05-22-2015, 10:01 AM
Budda315, I have the Clearview medium sport w/recurve. I am 5' 11" and on the stock seat my eyeline was several inches over the top of the shield. The shield is mounted at the highest setting. I recently installed a Mustang seat which sits about an inch lower and I still look over the shield. Still get a slight bit of buffeting at 75-80 but wanted the shortest windshield possible. I love the looks of it!

buda315
05-22-2015, 09:49 PM
Great looking photo. I agree. IMHO, the best looking shield for the F6B. Really complements the bike and flows very naturally.

Is yours the dark tint or light gray? And do you have bar risers? They look a bit higher than stock.

Thanks for sharing your specs and experience with the shield.

Any chance you would mind measuring from the rubber seal to the top of the shield?

The traditional way to measure.

Curious what the actual height is compared to the OEM Honda tall at 16.75''.

Budda315, I have the Clearview medium sport w/recurve. I am 5' 11" and on the stock seat my eyeline was several inches over the top of the shield. The shield is mounted at the highest setting. I recently installed a Mustang seat which sits about an inch lower and I still look over the shield. Still get a slight bit of buffeting at 75-80 but wanted the shortest windshield possible. I love the looks of it!

buda315
06-03-2015, 11:00 PM
Update:

Ordered shield on Sat. May 2nd. Received June 3rd. Was quoted 15-20 business days to manufacture.

Regarding some of the sizing questions I had. Other responders are correct. The tall clearview is a little shorter than a Honda tall or stock Goldwing screen. I measured 16'' from rubber to top in the lowest setting.

I am 5' 7 1/2'', with 29'' inseam. The screen hits me right at the tip of the nose in the low setting (stock seat). I'm almost thinking that I might have been better off with the medium. With the recurve I think I could still get the protection and have the screen a little further from my site line.

Haven't fully tested it though. Just a quick run around the block. Even at low speeds, the recurve definitely seemed to really throw the wind up and over. More than I would have even guessed.

I did remove the protection, b/c I figured if it is not where I want it, I could elongate the hole and drop it an inch.

Really nice looking screen. I don't think I would personally consider another brand just based on aesthetics.

Of course everyone has their own personal preference on height and wind protection, but my suggestion would be anyone 5' 10'' or taller should get the tall and any shorty's like me at 5'9'' or under would probably be fine with the medium.

I don't see a reason to get the small unless you are totally just going for looks and a short screen.

Other members who are 5'6''- 5'7'' reported getting too much turbulence with the small screen, but just right with the medium or large.

Cool Hand Luke
06-03-2015, 11:40 PM

That's a nice view of John's Pass Village from the other side. I used to stay at Bahia Del Mar Island near by. I love the whole area.

fxdl2051
06-04-2015, 04:22 AM
You're 1 " taller than me, I think it will be a perfect height but since you have 2-3 inches of adjustment built into the mounting slots in the ws you can play with it. I can just see over the 15 inch and do get minor buffeting and some noise but nothing like before. It looks really good on the f6, just remember to stuff some rags into the corners where the mirror are so you dont drop the corner mounting bolts Into the faring when loosening them. They give you a foam gasket with no directions, just put it flush at the top of the fairings edge. The owner is really helpful and I enjoyed dealing with him. I think you'll be happy with the product.

Fla_rider
06-04-2015, 06:16 AM
You're 1 " taller than me, I think it will be a perfect height but since you have 2-3 inches of adjustment built into the mounting slots in the ws you can play with it. I can just see over the 15 inch and do get minor buffeting and some noise but nothing like before. It looks really good on the f6, just remember to stuff some rags into the corners where the mirror are so you dont drop the corner mounting bolts Into the faring when loosening them. They give you a foam gasket with no directions, just put it flush at the top of the fairings edge. The owner is really helpful and I enjoyed dealing with him. I think you'll be happy with the product.

:lolup: yes I remember changing my stock to a BS screen. Didn't use the rag method and lost a bolt somewhere. After 2 hours of searching I gave up. It's still down there somewhere, ordered extra bolts and when I changed the BS screen to Clearview I did use the rag method! :clap2:

Heavvyduty
06-04-2015, 06:18 AM

Would it be possible to get a pic from behind an front?

Fla_rider
06-04-2015, 06:33 AM
HD - I'll take the pic tonight.

Fla_rider
06-05-2015, 05:49 AM
HD here you go. Pic #2 is from my height sitting in the stock seat. I'm 5'7".

Heavvyduty
06-05-2015, 06:01 AM
HD here you go. Pic #2 is from my height sitting in the stock seat. I'm 5'7".

Hey tks for the pic's
By the way heading to Fla monday morning, Lakeland/Plant city is my home.batman-smilie.

mholmes226
06-05-2015, 06:15 AM
I have been following this thread, thanks everyone for the input. Just need a little advice...I currently have the clearview small and it is too short for me (will probably put it up for sale). I am 6'1" and I have the stock seat. I am contemplating ordering the large but I am concerned it may be too tall, I want to look over the windshield. Any advise would be appreciated!! Thanks for your time.

Mark

vmaxed
06-05-2015, 06:56 AM
Mark..take a look here http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?3529-What-did-you-do-to-your-F6B-today&p=80032&viewfull=1#post80032

Fla_rider
06-05-2015, 08:11 AM
Again, I am 5'7" and I look over my large Clearview.

buda315
06-05-2015, 03:27 PM
MARK, without a doubt, buy the large. At 6'1", no worries. You'll look over. I'm 5'7 1/2" and I actually do look over with good posture. I road longer yesterday and actually felt like I handled the bike better and more comfortablly while correcting for posture. At a slouch I can still sort of look over, or through, but to me it's at that uncomfortable middle line or eye level. I was thinking medium might be better, but now I'm thinking I actually might prefer the large even at my vertically challenged height.

Fla_rider
06-05-2015, 03:37 PM
MARK, without a doubt, buy the large. At 6'1", no worries. You'll look over. I'm 5'7 1/2" and I actually do look over with good posture. I road longer yesterday and actually felt like I handled the bike better and more comfortablly while correcting for posture. At a slouch I can still sort of look over, or through, but to me it's at that uncomfortable middle line or eye level. I was thinking medium might be better, but now I'm thinking I actually might prefer the large even at my vertically challenged height.

+1 large is good for me. If you can look over the screen and see the road 50 ft. In front of you your good to go. By the way I see 30 ft.

mholmes226
06-06-2015, 08:14 AM
Thank you gentlemen, I have decided to purchase the large. Thanks again for your time!

Mark

Redlinez
06-06-2015, 10:49 AM
Do you buy the Clearview direct or from a retailer? I'm ready to do something asap. I'm 5'11" with a 29" inseam, so I sit a little tall. I am also considering the Honda accessory tall.

buda315
06-06-2015, 03:45 PM
Do you buy the Clearview direct or from a retailer? I'm ready to do something asap. I'm 5'11" with a 29" inseam, so I sit a little tall. I am also considering the Honda accessory tall.

Directly from Clearview. I believe the discount code for forum members is Honda. I waited just over 4 weeks, so be prepared to wait for delivery. Small company that is very busy, but makes quality products.

Fla_rider
06-06-2015, 07:07 PM
Recent delivery time is about two weeks!:clap2:

buda315
06-06-2015, 09:29 PM
Went for another ride today... and did my first oil change at 730 miles. Really loving this bike!!! And this is my 31st motorcycle!!! Regarding windshield, my current vote is large for Everyone, unless you want the lower profile looks. I'm new to windshields, adjusting but finding the tall height perfectly fine. Good balance of wind protection, good looks and functionality. I'm finding riding the 6 with a "real" screen much more enjoyable.

Redlinez
06-07-2015, 07:58 AM
I'm thinking one of these with a vent is the way for me and my wife. The wind turbulence is my number one issue. Either a med or large with the curve and light tint I think.

buda315
06-08-2015, 12:01 PM
I'm thinking one of these with a vent is the way for me and my wife. The wind turbulence is my number one issue. Either a med or large with the curve and light tint I think.

I would recommend the touring version (which is wider) if you are particularly concerned about wind and turbulence.

The vent is also a requirement to balance airflow, however, I opted not to.

Fla_rider
06-08-2015, 01:09 PM
I have touring, large with Vent. Can't Touch this!:banana:

53driver
06-08-2015, 01:13 PM
I have touring, large with Vent. Can't Touch this!:banana:

Damn skippy I ain't touchin' THAT!

Fla_rider
06-08-2015, 01:18 PM
Damn skippy I ain't touchin' THAT!

Good Thing Guido! :lolup:

Redlinez
06-08-2015, 03:00 PM
I planned to go that route. Probably go with the light tint in case I get stuck in rain and want to hide behind it..... A medium with a recurve or large without? Seems a large with a recurve is overkill?

Tom F6B
06-08-2015, 09:32 PM
'gw-smiley'

I just installed the medium, light smoke sport model today and couldn't be happier. I'm 5' 10" with 32" inseam and I'm able to look over but yet very comfortable. Glad I didn't go with the large myself. Great shield!

Skhunt
06-09-2015, 10:29 AM
So I read up quiet a bit about the various shields and went with the Clearview Sport touring small dark grey . Im 5'10" 32 inseam, ride with a half helmet and I have a Mustang DLX tripper on a 2013 F6B (in neverclean black) that i put the shield on. at its lowest it sits 13.5 inch from the emblem on the "dash" with about an 1.24 inch adjustment upwards. At its lowest I look just over the shield at approx 35ish ft in front of the bike and I hear the radio fine @ 15/16 going 80mph. Buffeting is pretty much gone but there is the vacuum pocket effect and almost zero air movement. Using the stock seat I look over the shield @ 15ft in front of the bike. Still Zero buffet but there is slightly less of a vacuum and a little air get to my face. Much better. The shield needs to be about 1 - 1 1/2 in shorter IMO which mean elongating the slots. Maybe over the weekend or i'll try a trick to bracket the screen lower to test out before making bigger holes.

Redlinez
06-09-2015, 10:55 AM
What I don't want is to have to feel like I have to sit super duper upright just to comfortably see over the windshield. They do tell you the proper technique with the object 50 ft in front of the bike etc. Maybe I'll do that first. Instructions, directions, explanations, they're all so un-manly. :icon_lol:

bobbyf6b
06-09-2015, 01:44 PM
So I read up quiet a bit about the various shields and went with the Clearview Sport touring small dark grey . Im 5'10" 32 inseam, ride with a half helmet and I have a Mustang DLX tripper on a 2013 F6B (in neverclean black) that i put the shield on. at its lowest it sits 13.5 inch from the emblem on the "dash" with about an 1.24 inch adjustment upwards. At its lowest I look just over the shield at approx 35ish ft in front of the bike and I hear the radio fine @ 15/16 going 80mph. Buffeting is pretty much gone but there is the vacuum pocket effect and almost zero air movement. Using the stock seat I look over the shield @ 15ft in front of the bike. Still Zero buffet but there is slightly less of a vacuum and a little air get to my face. Much better. The shield needs to be about 1 - 1 1/2 in shorter IMO which mean elongating the slots. Maybe over the weekend or i'll try a trick to bracket the screen lower to test out before making bigger holes.

That's GREAT INFO!!!

The site says it's 14" at the lowest point. You measured 13.5". So what is your actual high measurement? I want it just low enough to get air in the vent on the top of my helmet. I'm 5'11" with 32" inseam. Stock seat. I'm torn between small and med.

Sounds like you didn't get the vent.

Fla_rider
06-09-2015, 01:56 PM
That's GREAT INFO!!!

The site says it's 14" at the lowest point. You measured 13.5". So what is your actual high measurement? I want it just low enough to get air in the vent on the top of my helmet. I'm 5'11" with 32" inseam. Stock seat. I'm torn between small and med.

Bobby the vent has 5 positions and can be angled to the top of your helmet? But if the height of the shield was perfect then the top of the helmet is where the wind from the shield wound hit. Then the vent could be used to hit the chest area. I wouldn't go with the small Bobby if I have a 29" inseam am 5"7" and use a tall!

bobbyf6b
06-10-2015, 12:25 AM
Well the best part is I can test ride the shield with the plastic on and return or exchange it for a different size. We'll see.

Skhunt
06-10-2015, 11:55 AM
That's GREAT INFO!!!

The Vent isnt an option/available on the small/short screen. If you wear a full faced helmet you will most likely get air in the top vent and see over the shield on a stock seat and the small would be perfect for that without modification. you would even be able to raise it by and inch.

So last night i did a quick test using some scrap metal to make 3 brackets to drop the screen down some. everything worked and the screen was about an inch (just over 3/4s)lower and touching this metal bracket by the air/dust deflector under the top fairing or whatever its called. after a brief ride at high speeds it puts my view over the shield at 15/17ft. This allows the same air as un-modified shield on stock seat. So I then elongated the holes about 3/4ish and mounted the screen. The side of the screen needed a little trimming around one of the flares for the wider section* to fit under the top fairing. At this point its sitting about 12.5ish inches at its lowest and the wind/vacuum is perfect with the tripper seat and half helm. if i remember correctly from the rubber mold it is not something like 11.75 inche and if you measure from the emblem on the dash its about 12.5 ish.

*i ordered the sport tourer version with re-curve. since its wider than stock it flares out where the rubber seal is. when i lowered it, the flares needed to be ground down in order for the top fairing to fit.

bobbyf6b
06-10-2015, 01:08 PM
The Vent isnt an option/available on the small/short screen.

Yes it is.

Skhunt
06-10-2015, 01:15 PM
Yes it is. youre right.. hmm wonder if it was a different shield i was thinking of.:icon_redface:

Redlinez
06-10-2015, 03:53 PM
Just ordered a medium height, light gray, sport touring width with the upper recurve and used HONDA. Look forward to riding in comfort and hearing the radio better.

fxdl2051
06-11-2015, 01:09 AM
Go with the touring, wider is better and large is best. The recurve works and I think it improves the look of the WS. Way better looking than GW shields IMHO.

Joesf6b
09-10-2015, 05:58 PM
Just ordered a medium height, light gray, sport touring width with the upper recurve and used HONDA. Look forward to riding in comfort and hearing the radio better.

I'm thinking of going the same route as you except a darker tint. How do you like it, and if you don't mind posting some pics.

Thanks,
Joe

russellpompa
02-06-2016, 05:15 PM

Please tell me what the heck they intend for me to do with the foam gasket, please, thx...

Nero
02-07-2016, 06:12 PM
I installed a Clearview short sport on my 2015 F6B yesterday. I took the bike out for a shakedown run on the U.S. 60 toward Globe, just got home. Here's some info: this is a beautifully made piece of kit, that took all of 20 minutes to install. I am 5'9" with a 30" inseam, stock seat and bars. I decided on the light gray tint with the recurve option. Using my free hand I was able to check the wind flow at several speeds. The recurve coupled with the height pushed the wind over my full face Shoei RF1200 beautifully. I opened my shield at 80 mph and rode comfortably for about 3 miles. Keep in mind my I have been riding Italian sport bikes for 30 years, so wind protection has never been a priority. This shield fits the bike's profile perfectly and provides a clean bubble of air for the rider. All in all an excellent value.