PDA

View Full Version : General G-Max Autopsy

bob109
05-22-2015, 08:47 AM
Just the facts!

Recently removing my G-Max after 30,300 miles of wear, I severed the tire to get a good glimpse of it construction. The Max has a single ply side wall and two plys of steel in the thread/tread. Had a "bitch" of a time cutting it but I finally won out using my "hacksaw" across the face. I was into the "wear bars" at the time of removal.

I leave little to chance as a Dark Sider and like to get and provide as much info/detail as I can on my experience. It removes all the "what if" by/from the critics:stirthepot:

Here's some pics:icon_wink:

stroguy
05-22-2015, 08:54 AM
30K sounds like a winner. Are you a scraper? Do you drive hard? Do you drive in all weather?

bob109
05-22-2015, 09:06 AM
30K sounds like a winner. Are you a scraper? Do you drive hard? Do you drive in all weather?

No scraping! I drive 12 months out of the year! 6 months in NE Pa. and the remainder in North Central Fl. The tire was subjected to concrete, tar and chip and ultra smooth macadam road surfaces. At 66 years old I drive reasonable speeds! There's lots to see with what remains of my fading vision:icon_lol: I like to lean the bike over without sparks flying:shock:

stroguy
05-22-2015, 09:12 AM
Thank you. Perfect data.

Steve 0080
05-22-2015, 01:28 PM
Thanks for your time and effort !!!!!!!

DMAGOLDRDR
05-23-2015, 06:33 AM
Another "Thank You" for your insight into the Dark Side world.

With 20 thousand or so miles on Car Tires I am confident in my Tire choice but always looking to gain more information.

I spent most of my money on women and motorcycles, the rest I just wasted!!

srt8-in-largo
05-23-2015, 10:25 PM
Interesting; thanks for posting Bob.

How does this remove all the "what if's" from critics?

bob109
05-23-2015, 11:31 PM
Interesting; thanks for posting Bob.

How does this remove all the "what if's" from critics?

Rumors of my demise from the use of a Car Tire have been greatly exaggerated. 30,300 miles and I'm alive and well. All aspects of my G-Max experience have been well documented with more detailed pics than one can imagine. I suspect that first hand knowledge might have people scratching their heads. Guess it would be like having a experience with a heal/toe shifter! Documented pics and a good narrative about the extra leverage and force applied to the internals of the trans and resultant damage are priceless and have changed the minds of those who thought a heal/toe add-on was the cats a$$.:icon_wink:

srt8-in-largo
05-23-2015, 11:44 PM
Ah gotcha :yes:

Well keep us posted on your adventures with the new tire!

jm21ddd15
06-26-2015, 09:18 PM
Just ordered the General G-max. Should be here in 4-5 days. Got a friend with a auto repair shop who will mount it for me. Do you Darksiders do the wheel balancing the conventional way with weights or use Ride-on or Balance beads? :shrug:

John

shooter
06-26-2015, 09:40 PM
Just ordered the General G-max. Should be here in 4-5 days. Got a friend with a auto repair shop who will mount it for me. Do you Darksiders do the wheel balancing the conventional way with weights or use Ride-on or Balance beads? :shrug:

John

Balance beads. 3oz in the rear. 2 in the front.

hiflyer
06-26-2015, 11:04 PM
Balance beads. 3oz in the rear. 2 in the front.

My Michelin Alpin run flat needed 0 weight. I put the Bridgestone back on the other day (spare wheel) and rode around, came home and put the Michelin back on. I like it better than the m/c tire.

bob109
06-27-2015, 03:13 AM
Do you Darksiders do the wheel balancing the conventional way with weights or use Ride-on or Balance beads? :shrug:

Being "old school" I use stick-on Zinc Weights. Using my trusty low speed spin balancer, I purchased at Harbor Freight, this method has produced balanced tires with ease. Never a problem with either front or rear tires! I prefer to do this chore myself. With weights in 1/4oz. increments, I can place a weight on each side of the rim "centerline" for wheel/tires requiring more than 1/4oz. of weight:icon_wink:

John[/QUOTE]

valkmc
06-27-2015, 07:16 AM
My Michelin Alpin run flat needed 0 weight. I put the Bridgestone back on the other day (spare wheel) and rode around, came home and put the Michelin back on. I like it better than the m/c tire.

Had the same feeling when my Michelin Alpin went flat from a bad valve stem. First time I have had a valve stem failure. Steel valve stem, the internals went bad. Anyway the Alpin got me home and I put the OEM back on. I rode it for 3 days. Like the feel of the Alpin better. Had mine balanced when it was mounted and the tech told me it was right on, no weights needed. I did not keep track of the mileage on it because it has been on two bikes. Between the two it is over 25K now. Not at wear bars yet, starting to think about a replacement. Love the Michelin so I may just stick with it!

Hornblower
06-27-2015, 07:42 AM
No weights required for my Falken 612 with KurvyGirl aluminum valve stem. BTW, if anyone is interested in the aluminum valve stems, here's the info:

https://www.kurveygirl.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=169&products_id=676&osCsid=l1mu4s8psi72kqn69u1etu2r47

I absolutely love these valve stems but be advised, you do have to grind down the valve stem support for these to fit.

Scotty 50
04-23-2017, 09:05 PM
Just the facts!

Recently removing my G-Max after 30,300 miles of wear, I severed the tire to get a good glimpse of it construction. The Max has a single ply side wall and two plys of steel in the thread/tread. Had a "bitch" of a time cutting it but I finally won out using my "hacksaw" across the face. I was into the "wear bars" at the time of removal.

I leave little to chance as a Dark Sider and like to get and provide as much info/detail as I can on my experience. It removes all the "what if" by/from the critics:stirthepot:

Here's some pics:icon_wink:

Air pressure on the Gmax ,I'm 260 lbs
Thanks Scotty

53driver
04-23-2017, 10:22 PM
Thanks Scotty

Scotty,
Welcome to the forums!

Most darksiders start around 30 and then ride through water and see what the tread pattern looks like.
Not all the way to the edge, a little less.
Not enough in the middle, a bit more.

I've never run dark side myself, but there are many experts on these hallowed pages.

Again, welcome!
Cheers,
Steve

bob109
04-24-2017, 04:12 AM
Thanks Scotty

I'm 255/260 lbs and have my 6 set up for "solo riding"! When initially installing the Max, I set the pressure at 36/38 psi. After some accumulated miles, I settled at 43 psi. The Max has a single ply sidewall and is not a "run flat"" The higher pressure removed some "tire squirm". The maximum pressure for the G-Max is 50 psi, so the 43 psi, which may appear/seem high, is well within the tires designed pressure limit! I'm currently on my second Max and will be changing it out to a third Max! Once exhausting my inventory of G-Max's, I may give a "run flat" a try!

Ride Safe

bob109