PDA

View Full Version : An F6B derivative?

Phaedrus
05-22-2015, 07:45 PM
This BMW concept looks an awful lot like an F6B.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/BMW-motorcycles/bmw-concept-101/preview.htm

hiflyer
05-22-2015, 08:05 PM
I'll bet you can buy three F6B's for what that thing is going to cost.

Steve 0080
05-22-2015, 08:48 PM
WoW!!!! That thing is butt ugly !!!!!! :yikes:

buda315
05-22-2015, 09:29 PM
I could make it work. Ditch the screen, seat and exhaust. A few personal touches.

It's got potential.

I've ridden the 1600GT and it is a phenomenal motorcycle.

I really had no complaints.

... except for the looks.

As much as I like sport tourers, the looks just don't win me over.

I like the lower streamlined look and saddlebags that seem more integral, not bolted on. aka, the American bagger. Even if it is Japanese or German...

RickJ
05-22-2015, 09:33 PM
Not only is the design derivative, the description is of the F6B AND it needs a better screen...like the F6b!!

Kurare79
05-22-2015, 09:49 PM

+1

What has come to the designers mind mixing all kinds of elements in one bike to be a somehow-some-near-bagger like bike :no: I would be happy to see something like this at a custom bike show, but for real riding on the street: no thanks!

opas ride
05-22-2015, 09:54 PM
I think it might grow on me after a while as it is really not that bad looking...I also, have ridden the BMW1600GT and it is "freaky fast" and will blow the doors off the F6B..It is very smooth and I really enjoyed the bike, but don't plan on changing bikes for a while...Love my F6B as it does all I need it to do.....Ride safe...

Jimmytee
05-22-2015, 09:59 PM
Different. I'd be interested in what an actual production bike would look like. Some things are just off on that. Better looking than the standard 1600 though.

Bryster
05-22-2015, 10:08 PM
Like I already posted somewhere else, where are the mirrors? Camera in rear? SWMBO wasn't as nice with her comment on the passenger seat! :icon_wink:
Kinda odd, front wheels massive. Does appear in the video that the clearance will be not too bad.

Mind you, if they don't detune the motor too much it'll munch tyres in a straight line. Get the feeling it's a US first bike.

See! They do put you guys first! :icon_mrgreen:

bigdawg
05-22-2015, 10:29 PM
I own a 2014 K1600GT and it's a great bike and a lot of fun. I agree there are some features of this I really like. There is a video of it on the BMW site if anyone knows how to post the link here. If they do it right it could be an awesome bike and I would be interested in getting one. The motor is killer. I'm looking forward to the finished product.

53driver
05-22-2015, 10:40 PM

Concur.....the rear view is the worst....

DarkKnt
05-22-2015, 10:48 PM
Not keen on the exhaust tail pipe detail, but I like the rest, and if the killer performance was there, I'd switch flat 6 for upright 6... I gotta say, the best feature of the F6 is how it runs away from so many different bikes... And yet it could be even better with a bit of modern (Honda) tech thrown at it.. Imagine if it had variable valve timing and a more sophisticated electronics package. Honda can build the best engines in the world - the F6B should get the best..

hiflyer
05-22-2015, 11:38 PM
I own a 2014 K1600GT and it's a great bike and a lot of fun. I agree there are some features of this I really like. There is a video of it on the BMW site if anyone knows how to post the link here. If they do it right it could be an awesome bike and I would be interested in getting one. The motor is killer. I'm looking forward to the finished product.

Here's a vid, towards the bottom of the page.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/658/25701/Motorcycle-Article/BMW-Unveils-Concept-101-Bagger-in-Italy.aspx

bobbyf6b
05-23-2015, 12:16 AM
Exhaust is hideous but the front looks pretty sweet.

RoadSurfer
05-23-2015, 05:08 AM
But what is this thing with the wood paneling? Reminds me of Tom Hanks saying "There's no crying in baseball!" There's no place for wood in motorcycle design!

RoadSurfer
05-23-2015, 05:09 AM
I mean, what is this, 1915?

F6B1911
05-23-2015, 05:20 AM
Even though it appears to be a blatant copy of the F6B, I really like the look.
Now, if they built that bike on the R engine instead of the K, I'd buy one.

flat6bagger
05-23-2015, 06:05 AM
You guys that think it is "butt ugly" do realize that there are many who thought and still think the same of the F6B.
I am glad that manufacturers are going outside the box to keep the motorcycle market growing.
Do I like it?
Parts of it are cool,others,not so much.
If everyone had the same "cookie cutter" style motorcycle,it would be rather boring in the motorcycling industry.
Besides,Harley Davidson has got that part of the market sewed up!
Sorry,I couldn't help myself.
Someone had to say it.:icon_lol:
I have a friend that when I would say I didn't like something,he would say.."you know Doug, that is why they make different color paint."
So true.

Hornblower
05-23-2015, 06:47 AM
Except for the stupid "woodie" look, this could be interesting. Overall, it looks to be a nice package.

Deer Slayer
05-23-2015, 07:05 AM
Uggly!"batsmiley"

wjduke
05-23-2015, 07:31 AM
I think it's pretty cool looking...better if the bags were blended into the body more like the 6.

bigbird
05-23-2015, 08:28 AM
I like it, but the wood appliqué has got to go.
Even carbon fibre tape would look better than that wood.

hiflyer
05-23-2015, 08:36 AM
I can just hear it now.

Where can I get a bigger windscreen?
This seat sucks, does Mustang make one that will set me down and back 1"
Do you think Steve 0080 will make a backrest riser for this?
Wait......does anyone even make a passenger backrest for this?
What about going Darkside?
There's no place to store my gun!

wjduke
05-23-2015, 09:21 AM
I can just hear it now.

Where can I get a bigger windscreen?
This seat sucks, does Mustang make one that will set me down and back 1"
Do you think Steve 0080 will make a backrest riser for this?
Wait......does anyone even make a passenger backrest for this?
What about going Darkside?
There's no place to store my gun!
Ha! But you have to admit, that's the creed of any biker

stroguy
05-23-2015, 09:23 AM
I wouldn't wipe my azz with that thing.

hiflyer
05-23-2015, 09:33 AM
I think it's interesting that after years and years of the Japanese manufacturers copying designs from the Germans, the tide has turned. The F6B is what gave them this idea for sure. It's a cool bike, but I don't know what I would do with it.

Kurare79
05-23-2015, 09:51 AM
And now it's copy time for BMW. Look at the BMW S1000XR and compare to the Multistrada. Shame on them. (To stir things up is so much fun - sometimes :-))

hiflyer
05-23-2015, 10:04 AM
And now it's copy time for BMW. Look at the BMW S1000XR and compare to the Multistrada. Shame on them. (To stir things up is so much fun - sometimes :-))

I remember cracking up one time when I saw a Lexus and a BMW sitting side by side at a red light. It was evident where Lexus' styling cues came from.

tozco
05-23-2015, 10:17 AM
It's interesting that this bike is a Roland Sands custom, it is totally west coast. No wonder many of you easterners don't get it, it's a different cultural background, surf and rods, applied to a BMW.

MidKnight
05-23-2015, 10:24 AM
Not my cup of tea, but they definitely took styling cues from the F6B.

bigswole31
05-23-2015, 07:07 PM
I think it looks SWEEEET!!!! :icon_cool:

It baffles me how owners of the 6 can call this bike butt ugly. It like two sisters who look pretty similar in height, weight, build, and facial structure.... but you call one gorgeous and the other butt ugly... I don't get it. :shrug: Finding one more or less attractive than the other is one thing, but BUTT UGLY????? :icon_rolleyes:

Anyway, I do wonder where the mirrors are. I didn't see any large hi-res display in the quick shot of the dash, so I couldn't imagine how rearview cameras would work. Then again if the image is only brought up on demand the center screen would do. I also wonder what made them go with the outward facing exhaust...

One thing that I do like is the fact that the F6B has started a new category... the PERFORMANCE BAGGER!! While other manufacturers are focusing on blinged out chrome and deep metal flake paint jobs, Honda and BMW are making rockets powered sofas!

grendl
05-23-2015, 07:30 PM
I like it.It is so obviously a copy of my F6B though ! Better performance,probably lot of gadgets and the BMW mark. All good .
I imagine it will cost as much a 3 or 4 F6Bs and since I dont have that kind of money I cant say if I would buy it or sell my baby for it.
As it is if it wins the race,the rider paid for it and I am quite happy with my girl.
Not sure about the 'woody ' effect but yeah,I like it. It looks like my marvelous black baby.

RickJ
05-23-2015, 09:56 PM
You guys that think it is "butt ugly" do realize that there are many who thought and still think the same of the F6B.
.."you know Doug, that is why they make different color paint."
So true.

I can't wait to use that line.

srt8-in-largo
05-23-2015, 10:03 PM
Dudes c'mon, that's badass. Kudos to BMW for paying attention... but let's see how the production version looks, rides, works, etc.

The video is kinda overdone though; I'd rather have more bike shots and info than all the fluff showing us how cool and in touch they're trying to be :icon_biggrin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEc75n2EAOY

Hardrock
05-23-2015, 10:21 PM
Looks more like a CTX1300 to me. Inline 6 seems like it would be top heavy.

chipmaker
05-23-2015, 11:52 PM
Bet the paint doesn't rub off onto your rag...

stroguy
05-24-2015, 07:08 AM
Fuel tank area is ginormous. Front doesn't match the rear. Rear view is ugh. Hand position looks extremely high, like almost shoulder height. Dude has nice hair. It's ok but think the F6B is going to remain more desirable and most definitely affordable.

Jimmytee
05-24-2015, 07:12 AM
Bet the paint doesn't rub off onto your rag...

I don't get this one. I never have had paint rub off on my rag. Yes the paint is soft, but are you using brillo pads?

flat6bagger
05-24-2015, 07:46 AM
My black paint scratches when the wind blows,but I have never had any paint come off on a rag.
Probably shouldn't wipe it down with Acetone to clean it.:icon_lol:

bigswole31
05-24-2015, 09:20 AM
I imagine it will cost as much a 3 or 4 F6Bs and since I dont have that kind of money ....

I know everyone expects it to be priced like BMW cars, but that may not be the case. Several articles said that this will be to the K1600 as the F6B is to the Goldwing, and the K1600GT has a MSRP of $21650 in the USA (with cruise and ABS). Don't be surprised if this new bagger version is competitively priced with the F6B.

Hardrock
05-24-2015, 09:31 AM
How'd they get Rod Serling to narrate the video?

Dfinkelsteinmd
05-24-2015, 11:05 AM
This BMW concept looks an awful lot like an F6B.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/BMW-motorcycles/bmw-concept-101/preview.htm

I love the new BMW 101 Concept and would buy I tomorrow if it were to be brought to production, but it is certainly a very complementary rendition of the Honda F6B with perhaps the updating that the new Valkyrie lends to the 'Wing platform. They say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery and this is coming from the house of RSD, probably the most influential motorcycle innovator since Arlen Ness.

DarkKnt
05-24-2015, 11:09 AM
I honestly think I would consider buying it if it went into production... I don't know how you can like the F6B and not like the lines of this.

buda315
05-24-2015, 01:10 PM
I agree 100%.

I think it looks SWEEEET!!!! :icon_cool:

It baffles me how owners of the 6 can call this bike butt ugly. It like two sisters who look pretty similar in height, weight, build, and facial structure.... but you call one gorgeous and the other butt ugly... I don't get it. :shrug: Finding one more or less attractive than the other is one thing, but BUTT UGLY????? :icon_rolleyes:

Anyway, I do wonder where the mirrors are. I didn't see any large hi-res display in the quick shot of the dash, so I couldn't imagine how rearview cameras would work. Then again if the image is only brought up on demand the center screen would do. I also wonder what made them go with the outward facing exhaust...

One thing that I do like is the fact that the F6B has started a new category... the PERFORMANCE BAGGER!! While other manufacturers are focusing on blinged out chrome and deep metal flake paint jobs, Honda and BMW are making rockets powered sofas!

Jimmytee
05-24-2015, 01:25 PM
I honestly think I would consider buying it if it went into production... I don't know how you can like the F6B and not like the lines of this.

Well, I don't agree with the "butt ugly" opinion, but I do see how someone could like the F6B and not this bike. There are elements that just don't flow together as they do with the F6B. The exhaust is one of them. If this thing sees production, will those things be different? I'd be interested in seeing what a production model looks like. Until then it's just speculation.

DarkKnt
05-24-2015, 02:18 PM
Yeah, the exhaust is fine from the side view, but goofy from the rear.

Kurare79
05-24-2015, 02:36 PM
It's just that simple. I am married to my wife and she's the most beautiful queen. All other queens are ugly or I get serious problems with my own queen and those are problems no husband wants to have :icon_mrgreen: (Already my grandfather and his grand-grand-grandfather knew: Happy wife, happy life!)

Brian D
05-24-2015, 03:19 PM
Come on guys. How can you ride an f6 and not like this Beemer i think it's actually better looking. I hope they make this bike. I love my f6 but come on bmw just raised the bar.

yellow rex
05-24-2015, 08:50 PM
I like the looks and the lines dealer net work is the deal breaker for me.