PDA

View Full Version : Grampa car ?

choptop
05-24-2015, 05:59 AM
Have been passively watching Craigs list for a '06 - '09 Cadillac STS-V, a grampa's car w/some balls.:yikes: Have a '09 black , charger hemi, lowered, that I love and a '71 c10 chopped top, lowered custom paint/interior, that I have had for 20 years but haven't had on the road in 4 years or so. Thinking that I need to change things up, but I have a hard time getting rid of my toys, I become to attached to them. Anyone have any experience w/the STS-V ?

srt8-in-largo
05-25-2015, 11:39 PM
If you're gonna get a Caddy V-series, go for the CTS and the Corvette drivetrain which is a step up from the Northstar engine in the STS.

The STS is probably a wee bit more luxurious but the CTS can't be far behind.

Retired Army
05-26-2015, 11:34 AM
Why not go all the way and get a grandpa F6B?

choptop
05-26-2015, 06:03 PM
[QUOTE=Retired Army;79800]Why not go all the way and get a grandpa F6B
14175[/QUOTE

When the strength and legs start to go...

choptop
05-26-2015, 06:07 PM
If you're gonna get a Caddy V-series, go for the CTS and the Corvette drivetrain which is a step up from the Northstar engine in the STS.

The STS is probably a wee bit more luxurious but the CTS can't be far behind.

Actually, quite a bit more luxurious, was appx. $80,000 new, crazy I know, but you can pick up an '08, they were only produced for (4) years for 20,000 w/low mileage and numbers close to a comparable year Cts-v.

seadog
05-26-2015, 07:05 PM
Stupid Northstar engines don't have head gaskets on them, they have O-rings to seal the cylinders, one overheat and your looking at rebuilding the motor from the ground up, Used is a problem, new at least you have a warranty.

choptop
05-26-2015, 08:50 PM
Stupid Northstar engines don't have head gaskets on them, they have O-rings to seal the cylinders, one overheat and your looking at rebuilding the motor from the ground up, Used is a problem, new at least you have a warranty.

From what I read the old Northstar had the issues, the series that included the V's was supposed to be very reliable and If I was lucky enough to find an '09 w/low miles it may still have some warranty, but chances are not. Cost of ownership is a concern.