PDA

View Full Version : Why buy direct from the manufacturer?

flat6bagger
05-26-2015, 06:40 AM
I used to always buy direct from the manufacturer.
Then it occurred to me, the manufacturer is wholesaling their products to parts selling businesses to achieve more sales.
Most of the time buying direct from the manufacturer is significantly higher in cost.
The reputable parts selling businesses still will replace and warranty parts,so what is the advantage to buy direct from the manufacturer?
I know people that are dead set on buying direct no matter what the cost is.
I never get a reasonable explanation as to why.

Doug

shooter
05-26-2015, 06:50 AM
Many times the part is cheaper through a wholesaler. Usually pay list from the manufacturer.

DaWadd
05-26-2015, 07:43 AM
They usually have the part in stock.

stroguy
05-26-2015, 07:50 AM
MSRP. It's a recommended price. I can vouch in the firearm industry that manufacturers recommend a price for a handgun but the retailers are usually 15-20% below that number. You can buy direct but why would you? Retailers get to employ cost vs overhead. There are gun dealers near me that operate from their home. They are fully licensed but have ultra low overhead so the cost of a firearm is, most of the time, way below the Gander Mountains or Carter Country box stores.

srt8-in-largo
05-26-2015, 08:38 AM
On occasion, however, MSRP is not recommended and authorized distributors are contractually obligated to not sell below it. In such cases you won't find price differences no matter where you buy.

On other occasions, like Dawadd said, sometimes only the mfg has stock.

Other times, like with certain electronics, I prefer to buy direct to (hopefully) ensure I get a unit updated with the most recent firmware or in the case with chemicals, the freshest batch.

Steve 0080
05-26-2015, 08:42 AM
"On occasion, however, MSRP is not recommended and authorized distributors are contractually obligated to not sell below it. In such cases you won't find price differences no matter where you buy."

I find this to be true on many items....Schuberth comes to mind

stroguy
05-26-2015, 08:51 AM
Good stuff.

It would be hard to find a local dude specializing in F6B parts selling from his garage. My apologies for being a bit narrow minded.

srt8-in-largo
05-26-2015, 12:37 PM
All good Stro... a general question with hypothetical answers, anything goes :icon_biggrin:

shooter
05-26-2015, 04:17 PM
On occasion, however, MSRP is not recommended and authorized distributors are contractually obligated to not sell below it. In such cases you won't find price differences no matter where you buy.

On other occasions, like Dawadd said, sometimes only the mfg has stock.

Other times, like with certain electronics, I prefer to buy direct to (hopefully) ensure I get a unit updated with the most recent firmware or in the case with chemicals, the freshest batch.

You have a point there George. Last year when I was wanting the chrome Rivco hwy pegs , Rivco was the only one that had them in stock. With a little whining they even gave me a slight discount. Great Company.

ths61
05-26-2015, 04:36 PM
Depends on the company and product. Price, options and availability varies between manufacturer and reseller.

bigbird
05-26-2015, 05:19 PM
With a little whining they even gave me a slight discount. Great Company.

Why did you whine for a discount?
The fact that the manufacturer charges more than some of their retailers, or you automatically expect a discount because they're very expensive?

I have a problem asking for a discount unless there's a legitimate reason (coupon, sale, price match, etc)

What do you do when your customers at your shop whine for a discount?

F6B1911
05-26-2015, 05:26 PM
Ever try to find a "good price" on a Garmin product?
You'll find many products are price fixed, like Apple products for example "One price fits all."

I like to support local vendors if I have the opportunity, the Michigan economy still isn't that great, lots of brick and mortar store disappeared over the past few years.

DaWadd
05-26-2015, 05:30 PM
If I can support a local or even Canadian supplier I generally will. But sometimes you have to go to the source.

unsub
05-26-2015, 05:45 PM
I will try to source out a part or item from a local retailer first. Even if the price is a little higher, I'd prefer to support local business [not big box] if possible. In the grander scheme keeping the little guy in business is better for the community, in turn better for the state, in turn better for the country. Funny, there's a thread about boots. On that note, I buy stitched leather sole boots and shoes so I can keep the shoemaker going.
Am I old fashioned or crazy?:icon_biggrin:

Sorcerer
05-26-2015, 09:13 PM
I just bought a Ram mount cradle for a GPS. From Ram the mount was $9.91+ $16.85 shipping. Got it at a reseller for less than the shipping price from Ram.