PDA

View Full Version : Bike Alarm

shooter
05-26-2015, 07:40 PM
I would like to put an alarm system on the B. Do any of you have one? What brand and do you like it. Any thoughts from the guys that don't have one. Its not something I'll use daily. I'm taking a trip in June where the bike will have to sit out at nights.

Steve 0080
05-26-2015, 07:50 PM
I am not a fan of alarms...no one pays attention to the sound... If I were interested I would look into, "TheTile" seems to be the biggest bang for the buck !!!

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=the+tile+app&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=31728645636&hvpos=1t2&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6110152832811259147&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_1rx5yb5lrr_e

F6B1911
05-26-2015, 09:51 PM
I have not considered an alarm for my F6B...
It's big and heavy, it would take more than one person to try to move it, with the steering locked, that much more difficult.
Then What? Not like it would be easy to push up a ramp on a van or pickup?
A professional thief would need to be able to compromise the steering lock / ignition, if so he could drive off with it.
In my 30+ years of riding, I've never had more than a Kryptonite lock.

Plus, in another topic here, I believe I read that the Goldwing was the least stolen motorcycle.

jm21ddd15
05-26-2015, 10:28 PM
I use a "disk" brake lock. The lock fits over the front disk, and when you turn the key, a locking pin goes thru one of the many hole in the disk, and also has a cable from the lock to the handle bar. Weighs about 2 lbs, and fits in my cubby. Comes in a small black storage bag.

flat6bagger
05-27-2015, 07:22 AM
The following statement may sound like I am joking,but I am not.
I would not have an alarm on my F6B or any vehicle I own unless it came with it from the manufacturer.
I still wouldn't use it.
I pay a lot of money for insurance.
Even if I heard it,I am not going out to fight or shoot a person trying to steal it.

Doug

shooter
05-27-2015, 07:51 AM
Doug I was wanting to use it for bait.

98valk
05-27-2015, 09:58 AM
I use a Gorilla alarm with a pager (model 8017). It may not stop a thief, but it gives me piece of mind knowing the pager has not gone off. If I am nearby, I don't bother with the pager, I just set the alarm.

For fun, I added a two level proximity sensor. The outer perimeter just beeps lightly if you get real close. If someone tries to mount the bike the tighter perimeter triggers the alarm. It doesn't need to wait for a tilt or a bump.

valkmc
05-27-2015, 10:04 AM
Just park next to a HD, they are much more likely to steal it than our 6.

Dfinkelsteinmd
05-27-2015, 10:12 AM
I use a Gorilla alarm with a pager (model 8017). It may not stop a thief, but it gives me piece of mind knowing the pager has not gone off. If I am nearby, I don't bother with the pager, I just set the alarm.

For fun, I added a two level proximity sensor. The outer perimeter just beeps lightly if you get real close. If someone tries to mount the bike the tighter perimeter triggers the alarm. It doesn't need to wait for a tilt or a bump.

I use the Gorilla alarm for similar reasons--keeping caters and kids off my bike in parking lots and to reassure me that my Glock is still safely locked up when I leave it because I am in a cafe or bank where I cannot bring it with me. As to insurance, that's only good for uninsured motorists (we have a lot of them on the Left Coast) and the pros who can lift the bike into a truck quickly and quietly with a small crane.

I do like Shooter's suggestion to use the alarmed bike as bait, but again it is difficult to prove self defense when you've got a scoped rifle in your hand...especially here in hippy haven.

flat6bagger
05-27-2015, 10:19 AM
Dang it Shooter,
you got to let me know!:icon_lol:

shooter
05-27-2015, 10:30 AM
Doug a wise man once said "a man has got to know his limitations". For me with a handgun that's about 30 yards for a headshot.

MAYHEM01
05-27-2015, 04:01 PM
A couple of my buddies have Scorpio. it works with your smart phone and so far they love it. I am thinking of getting this for my bike
http://ridescorpio.com/

shooter
05-27-2015, 04:40 PM
Mayhem that's the one I like. To be able to monitor it with your phone.

seadog
05-27-2015, 05:31 PM
I would like to put an alarm system on the B. Do any of you have one? What brand and do you like it. Any thoughts from the guys that don't have one. Its not something I'll use daily. I'm taking a trip in June where the bike will have to sit out at nights.

Shooter that's what insurance is for so that your ride can get replaced. Several insurance outfits have replacement cost insurance. Like the man said, how many times have you heard alarms go off and everyone just goes on there way without taking a second look. If you want to pay for something worthwhile go with the replacement cost insurance, they even cover all your mods. No matter what alarm you put on if a thief wants it bad enough he is going to get it. Cover your azz with insurance/
Beside that are you going to go storming out to save it and run into 5 big guy loading it into a pickup truck, if you do you had better have more than your dick in your hand.

Heavvyduty
05-27-2015, 07:16 PM
I have not considered an alarm for my F6B...
It's big and heavy, it would take more than one person to try to move it, with the steering locked, that much more difficult.
Then What? Not like it would be easy to push up a ramp on a van or pickup?
A professional thief would need to be able to compromise the steering lock / ignition, if so he could drive off with it.
In my 30+ years of riding, I've never had more than a Kryptonite lock.

Plus, in another topic here, I believe I read that the Goldwing was the least stolen motorcycle.

It cant be to hard they stole mine. And left the Harley behind

F6B1911
05-27-2015, 07:51 PM
It cant be to hard they stole mine. And left the Harley behind

Damn, you just shot a big hole in my rant!!
But, truth be told, I steal the F6B and leave the Harley every time, just as long as it is a fast black one. <JK>

MAYHEM01
05-28-2015, 06:52 AM
Mayhem that's the one I like. To be able to monitor it with your phone.

Yes Shooter, I like all the different applicants this system has, it has a proximity alert, an alert if your bike is moved you can remotely shut your bike down if you are jacked(like if someone would even dream of jacking me from my bike), also monitors your tire pressure, and maps your rides.
I think for the money it is a nice system and my buddies really said it is a great system.

Steve 0080
05-28-2015, 07:19 AM
Here during Daytona bike weeks...the bad guys would pull up next to the bike they wanted...four guys would get out stick two 2x4's thru the wheels pick it up and shove it in the back of a van...gone.....20 seconds, max!

F6B1911
05-28-2015, 10:05 AM
Here during Daytona bike weeks...the bad guys would pull up next to the bike they wanted...four guys would get out stick two 2x4's thru the wheels pick it up and shove it in the back of a van...gone.....20 seconds, max!

Yeah, but you'd need a 2x8 for the F6B, don't think a 2x4 would do it.

shooter
05-28-2015, 10:10 AM
Might take more than 4 guys. I would want to be on the back 2x4.

Blackedout2014
05-28-2015, 12:33 PM
The following statement may sound like I am joking,but I am not.
I would not have an alarm on my F6B or any vehicle I own unless it came with it from the manufacturer.
I still wouldn't use it.
I pay a lot of money for insurance.
Even if I heard it,I am not going out to fight or shoot a person trying to steal it.

Doug

RIGHT ON.

zeus661
05-29-2015, 12:14 PM
TheTile? It only works up to about 30 feet.

Fla_rider
05-29-2015, 12:21 PM
TheTile? It only works up to about 30 feet.

30 feet of anyones phone!

114th COBRA
12-26-2015, 09:00 AM
Really hadn't planned on putting an alarm system on my new F6, because I too felt like it's too heavy for most thieves to move. However, my son-in-law, a BMW rider, just gave me a Gorilla Cycle Alarm System as a Christmas gift, so I'm going to have it installed once the weather permits getting it out of the garage for a ride. I may not use it much, but will definitely activate it when I'm away from home overnight. Unexpected, but a nice gift.