PDA

View Full Version : Your summer riding jackets

stroguy
05-27-2015, 04:43 PM
Franklin will be my longest trip ever and I will need at some moment in my 2400 plus mile trip a waterproof riding jacket. Tell me what you have, have had and hated, have had and wish you could find it. Seems I can get very lost in the online motorcycle websites like Revzilla with the diversity of jackets. I want something waterproof but light for summer riding. I ride year long in Houston and have an extremely adequate lined leather jacket for the below 50 days. I need something for warm/hot weather travels.

53 has clued me into BMG which at first I thought it was higher than giraffe azz. Then a visit to the online retailers and BMG suddenly appears to be middle of the road.

So tell me what you got.

hiflyer
05-27-2015, 05:28 PM
Go down to your local Cycle Gear and try some stuff on. I am wearing a white/black Bilt mesh jacket from cycle gear. Also bought the Bilt rainsuit last summer. When it gets really hot, I wear a long sleeve, plain white, fishing tee shirt. Bought these at Academy, they still sell them, and they wick moisture. You can pack several of these, rainsuit, and mesh jacket in a small area. When it's cool I love my aerostich stuff for warm and dry.

stroguy
05-27-2015, 06:33 PM
I had plans on that. Want some experiences on what vents well, what does not. Guess I could always buy, try, deny and rebuy. Like the fishing jacket idea as well. Maybe a trip to Gander.

hiflyer
05-27-2015, 06:50 PM
I had plans on that. Want some experiences on what vents well, what does not. Guess I could always buy, try, deny and rebuy. Like the fishing jacket idea as well. Maybe a trip to Gander.

I don't even want to admit how much stuff I've tried. Truth is everything is a compromise. Find what works, is comfortable, and be done with it. (Easier said then done).

F6B1911
05-27-2015, 07:05 PM
On a trip that long, I hope you have a bit of storage room.
Always have a leather.
I have a Fieldsheer Hi-Temp Mesh Jacket, it includes two fully removable liners: one waterproof liner and one quilted liner for warmth.
The highly breathable mesh material offers a high degree of abrasion performance, while allowing the me to stay cool in warm temperatures.
With the quilted liner removed, you get a great breeze through the jacket on warmer days, and has back and elbow protection. In Hi-Viz people also see you and respect your lane.

You'll get a great debate on the "best" rain gear.
I went with the Dri-Rider Hurricane Rain Suit, mainly because I had one for over 20 years and it never leaked, probably still be wearing it if I could l get back to the same weight I was 20 years ago.

zeus661
05-27-2015, 08:03 PM
I have a Tourmaster mesh jacket that has a liner that I can put on underneath. I have never had it on in a rain so not sure how well it works. I do like the elbow and shoulder pads though.

shooter
05-27-2015, 08:32 PM
Stro I have been using a Joe Rocket mesh for four years. The plastic liner that comes with it is useless. It will sweat you so bad that you may as well be in the rain. JR makes a dri-plus liner that is breathable and is the best combo I have used. Not cheap but well made. Mine us a little faded after four summers but still works great. I keep the liner in the saddlebag until needed. Revzilla has both.

stroguy
05-27-2015, 08:49 PM
Danke gang.

jm21ddd15
05-27-2015, 09:01 PM
I switch between a Tour-Master and a Sedici. Both have the removable liners, and are mesh. The Sedici is very water-resistant, without the liner, and totally with it in place. It is slightly warmer than my Tour-master, as the Tour-Master has several zip-vents. Got the Sedici at Cycle- Gear, the other on-line, from Cruiser Customizing.

wjduke
05-28-2015, 04:51 AM
I had a basic jacket called Power Trip that cost about $150 three years ago. Used it year round, had a removable liner, all the vents you need, and it did it's job in my accident. It had two zippers...if you undid the outer, the inner would keep it closed but had an open mesh that breathed nicely in the heat. Of course, when you stop, it's going to get hot no matter what. You don't have to buy brand name to get a good one.

My next one will have white or yellow reflective stripes, don't care what it looks like.

RickJ
05-28-2015, 05:25 AM
I just ordered an Olympia Airglide 4. I too have a good leather- but really need warm weather protection. This has 2 liners- waterproof and insulating. Hasn't arrived yet.
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/olympia-airglide-4-jacket

hiflyer
05-28-2015, 11:14 AM
What about warm weather gloves? I need to get a new pair, I've been using BMW GS gloves for last several years, and now I can only find one of them. I don't think they make the same glove anymore. Ever see the results of a bare hand versus asphalt incident?

RickJ
05-28-2015, 11:26 AM
What about warm weather gloves? I need to get a new pair, I've been using BMW GS gloves for last several years, and now I can only find one of them. I don't think they make the same glove anymore. Ever see the results of a bare hand versus asphalt incident?

I like the lee park deertours. Not super warm, but decent, comfy and stylish:icon_wink:

http://www.leeparksdesign.com/deertours/

EDIT!!!
Darn- I'm a dummy- I saw warm and gloves...these are not warm WEATHER gloves- but they are nice...so I left the link!!

shooter
05-28-2015, 11:35 AM
I've been using Mechanix gloves with a padded palm. They work good for me. About $30.

jm21ddd15
05-28-2015, 12:43 PM
I've been using Mechanix gloves with a padded palm. They work good for me. About $30.

I got a pair of Hi- vis Wells -Lamont gloves. Palms are black, with brite green backs and fingers. They breath well. Don't know how well they would do against asphault, but much better than skin.

stroguy
05-28-2015, 12:49 PM
http://www.geierglove.com/deerskin-200.html

http://www.texasgoodgloves.com/Geier-Gloves-200-Deerskin-Driving-Gloves-USA-Made-p/gg-200.htm

Thin, sticky and they breathe.

wjduke
05-28-2015, 12:53 PM
Once again. I used a pair of off the shelf motorcycle gloves that had a good fit...hit the asphalt last year and not a scratch on either hand. $35 I recall.

taxfree4
05-28-2015, 04:18 PM
Bilt Blaze Mesh Jacket from Cycle Gear, $89 with a 5 yr. warranty, it is better protected than my Pokerun mesh.

stepbill
05-29-2015, 01:41 PM
Am I the only one that wears a sleeveless tee?

Steve 0080
05-29-2015, 02:02 PM
As far as the trip to Franklin...pack one or two warm shirts....always seems to chill off a day or to !!! *** You can UPS some stuf to the motel and buy a return slip at the same time and ship some stuff and have a lighter load as well...I have done this many times till I bought my trailer !!! Just FYI

bigbird
05-29-2015, 02:27 PM
I need a Large Tall in my jackets (long arms and torso).

I had a Joe Rocket Phoenix textile before my current FirstGear Mesh textile.
Joe Rocket was OK, But FirstGear is better for me.

shooter
05-29-2015, 02:38 PM
Bird do you feel like First gear runs true to size? That's what I've always liked about JR.

bigbird
05-29-2015, 02:41 PM
Bird do you feel like First gear runs true to size? That's what I've always liked about JR.

Yes, they seem to be right on the money, as was JR for sizing.

shooter
05-29-2015, 04:06 PM
Thanks bird I appreciate the info.

bigbird
05-29-2015, 04:42 PM

I believe the FirstGear jackets manufactured for the US market all feature an additional inside pocket to conceal your favourite riding accessory :icon_laugh:

For Canada, we can hold an additional mobile phone in the extra pocket.

53driver
05-29-2015, 05:19 PM
I believe the FirstGear jackets manufactured for the US market all feature an additional inside pocket to conceal your favourite riding accessory :icon_laugh:

For Canada, we can hold an additional mobile phone in the extra pocket.

My EZ-Pass?

bigbird
05-29-2015, 05:21 PM
My EZ-Pass?

Call it what you will. :stirthepot:

We don't have those things either in the boonies of the wild prairie of Canada.
Tolled highways? What are those?

53driver
05-29-2015, 05:29 PM
Call it what you will. :stirthepot:
Lol.....

We don't have those things either in the boonies of the wild prairie of Canada.
Tolled highways? What are those?

They are another attempt to get money from people who have the wherewithal to travel in the NorthEast part of the USA.
Or from businesses doing business in the same area.

From Richmond to Philadelphia, it is possible to pay over $40 in tolls on the 95 in a 170 mile stretch.
The minimum you can pay is $24.

stroguy
05-29-2015, 05:33 PM
As far as the trip to Franklin...pack one or two warm shirts....always seems to chill off a day or to !!! *** You can UPS some stuf to the motel and buy a return slip at the same time and ship some stuff and have a lighter load as well...I have done this many times till I bought my trailer !!! Just FYI

I have washing machines along the ride. I am making 3 other stops at friends and enemies on the round trip.

stroguy
05-29-2015, 05:43 PM

I don't but the wife is a risk taker.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c6/stroguy/image.jpg1_zps0lc1ydrl.jpg (http://s24.photobucket.com/user/stroguy/media/image.jpg1_zps0lc1ydrl.jpg.html)

stroguy
05-29-2015, 05:46 PM

Me as well. Will check them out.

I will more than likely opt for something that can be put on when the rain is threatening. But then I kill some storage space. Oh the tough life decisions.

stroguy
05-29-2015, 05:48 PM
They are another attempt to get money from people who have the wherewithal to travel in the NorthEast part of the USA.
Or from businesses doing business in the same area.

From Richmond to Philadelphia, it is possible to pay over $40 in tolls on the 95 in a 170 mile stretch.
The minimum you can pay is $24.

There is nothing EZ about the tolls up there. So much for free travels.

shooter
05-29-2015, 08:31 PM
I don't but the wife is a risk taker.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c6/stroguy/image.jpg1_zps0lc1ydrl.jpg (http://s24.photobucket.com/user/stroguy/media/image.jpg1_zps0lc1ydrl.jpg.html)

Seems to me Stro you might be the risk taker. I wouldn't sleep at night if my ole lady was carrying an Axe around.

stroguy
05-29-2015, 08:34 PM
Remember my eye.

jm21ddd15
05-29-2015, 09:06 PM
My EZ-Pass?

Or my I-Pass, a must have, on the Illinois Toll roads. Waste of time stopping at toll booths.

shooter
05-29-2015, 09:22 PM
Remember my eye.

Oh yeah. I forgot. Man I've got R E S P E C T for you.

srt8-in-largo
05-29-2015, 09:50 PM
I have a RevIt Airwave. Flows well, has good adjustability, and is mostly light colored. Been pretty happy with it.

For rain gear I tried Frogg Toggs... and hated it. The jacket I had was too short in the torso, too short on the hood to protect your face, and the material was too stiff and bulky. I've since switched to Marmot Precip jacket and pants, and LOVE both. These are not motorcycle specific so you might wanna add your own reflective tape: http://www.identi-tape.com/3M_8850.htm

If you order the Precip jacket in your normal size, it'll be *just* big enough to slip on over your riding jacket. This jacket uses their proprietary waterproofing technology which breathes pretty well. The pants have zippered legs. Good to go.

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?3562-Jacket-Tourmaster-Draft-Air-2&highlight=jacket

TnHeath
05-29-2015, 10:55 PM
I just ordered an Olympia Airglide 4. I too have a good leather- but really need warm weather protection. This has 2 liners- waterproof and insulating. Hasn't arrived yet.
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/olympia-airglide-4-jacket

I use my Airglide about 80 percent of the time. Hi-vis color and is the only jacket I need on a trip of any kind and can handle just about any temperature...below 40 degrees I break out a heated liner.

stroguy
05-31-2015, 12:39 PM
Thanks everyone for the input. I am going to try the Joe Rocket Alter Ego 3. They claim it a 3 season jacket and has minimal advertising. We only have 2 seasons in Houston, hot and freakin miserable hot. So I will give it a shot. Thanks again for all of the suggestions. As hiflyer said I may end up with a closet full of jackets before leaving for Franklin.

Cheers friends.

flat6bagger
05-31-2015, 06:28 PM
This place has great close out deals.
I have bought textile jackets for as low as $39.

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/closeouts/mesh_jackets_and_pants/tour_master/intake_air_series_3_jacket.html

Doug

srt8-in-largo
06-01-2015, 12:11 AM
Thanks everyone for the input. I am going to try the Joe Rocket Alter Ego 3. They claim it a 3 season jacket and has minimal advertising. We only have 2 seasons in Houston, hot and freakin miserable hot. So I will give it a shot. Thanks again for all of the suggestions. As hiflyer said I may end up with a closet full of jackets before leaving for Franklin.

Cheers friends.

The ONLY thing I didn't like about that jacket, at least on paper, is the mesh jacket doesn't have a collar... and I needs me a collar.

stroguy
06-01-2015, 05:39 AM
Like this?

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c6/stroguy/cb_collar_091120_mn-thumb-370x277-16644_zpseimjflrp.jpg (http://s24.photobucket.com/user/stroguy/media/cb_collar_091120_mn-thumb-370x277-16644_zpseimjflrp.jpg.html)

Fla_rider
06-01-2015, 05:47 AM
Like this?

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c6/stroguy/cb_collar_091120_mn-thumb-370x277-16644_zpseimjflrp.jpg (http://s24.photobucket.com/user/stroguy/media/cb_collar_091120_mn-thumb-370x277-16644_zpseimjflrp.jpg.html)

HAHA:lolup:

George, I use a soaked bandana!

srt8-in-largo
06-01-2015, 08:41 AM
:crackup:

No... to Stro.

Yes... to John.

I respect priests for their quiet and gentle manner and their value of learning and education... but it's not the life for me.

shooter
06-01-2015, 10:25 AM
I don't think Stro is a priest either. Did you see his old lady? The one with the Axe?

flat6bagger
06-01-2015, 10:49 AM
I don't think Stro is a priest either. Did you see his old lady? The one with the Axe?

Only once then my eyes started burning.:icon_lol:

Doug

shooter
06-01-2015, 11:44 AM
I thought it was just me! I figured it was my allergies kicking up!

stroguy
06-01-2015, 11:48 AM
I will pray for you two.

srt8-in-largo
06-01-2015, 12:05 PM
:crackup:

flat6bagger
06-01-2015, 12:19 PM
I need all the prayers I can get.:icon_biggrin:

Doug

nvmyf6
06-29-2015, 11:00 PM

Cheers friends.

Stro,
did you get your Alter Ego 3 jacket? Black and Gray right?

I've had that jacket for a couple years now. I like it a lot. Very versatile for all riding conditions. Like 114 degree temp here in Blythe, to rainy weather I ran into going to SD a couple weeks ago.

I just ordered the Ego 2, matching pants. I hope to like them just as much. I have done a lot of research on riding pants and ended up with ordering these.

My research concluded that, although there are many different types of pants to choose from, my short inseam limited my choices.
I almost ordered the Scorpion Trey pants but I believe they would have been to long for me.

So, did you get the Ego 3 ?

Injun Joe
06-30-2015, 12:31 AM
Four layer depending.

Bohn armor
Some kind of shirt depending
Hoodie (Also armored)
Rain jacket

In other words no traditional jacket whatsoever.

Brian D
06-30-2015, 05:51 AM

No your not. Me too

stroguy
06-30-2015, 06:23 AM
Stro,
did you get your Alter Ego 3 jacket? Black and Gray right?

I've had that jacket for a couple years now. I like it a lot. Very versatile for all riding conditions. Like 114 degree temp here in Blythe, to rainy weather I ran into going to SD a couple weeks ago.

I just ordered the Ego 2, matching pants. I hope to like them just as much. I have done a lot of research on riding pants and ended up with ordering these.

My research concluded that, although there are many different types of pants to choose from, my short inseam limited my choices.
I almost ordered the Scorpion Trey pants but I believe they would have been to long for me.

So, did you get the Ego 3 ?

I did sir. I am still adjusting to it but I am a fan of the jacket. I mounted my Baker Hand Wings this weekend so I will see how they help with ventilation. Summer is here in Houston and it's hot!

stevenolts
06-30-2015, 08:05 AM
First let me say that it is important not to scrimp on riding gear. You need comfortable, versatile, safe gear. It is OK to buy on sale but I feel you need to buy quality.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned http://www.motorcyclegear.com (this is my go to deal place / look for closeouts)
I have found that they have the best sales. I watch weekly and pick out what I would like to have and then wait to see if it goes on sale.

I like Scorpion for jackets (quality /reasonable price) and Dainese for pants (comfort / high price). I have found from personal experience riding all year round almost daily that both are good quality. Dainese is the top of the line pretty much. They raise there own cows and have a special treatment for the leather which makes the softest pants I have ever worn. Alien Pele $499.00 and worth every penny. I liked the pants so much that I went out and got the vented mesh pants. I had to drive to Chicago to see their store. I ordered the leather pants through cycle gear / they will let you try them on and if they don't fit you can get a different size. (you won't find much of a sale on Dainese)

I have 3 Scorpion jackets 2 perforated leather (always get the perforated leather and use a liner when needed) and a mesh all 3 can be used with or without a liner for warmth or rain). You can wear the leather with a over rain jacket when cold out or the mesh with a liner under when hot out.

I always find a deal on Scorpion if I wait.

I am a little nuts about my riding gear.
Steve

nvmyf6
06-30-2015, 05:18 PM
I did sir. I am still adjusting to it but I am a fan of the jacket. I mounted my Baker Hand Wings this weekend so I will see how they help with ventilation. Summer is here in Houston and it's hot!

Yes, do tell, your review of the Baker Hand Wings. They may be worth looking into.

BEIST
02-13-2016, 02:14 AM
I recommend the Dainese Light Wave Mesh Jacket for hot weather riding. You can throw a long sleeve shirt or light windbreaker over it or an extra large long sleeve t-shirt or you can just wear it au-naturel like Batman .batman-smilie.

ATGATT moto: "Prepare to ride - Prepare to slide."

Cool Hand Luke
02-13-2016, 11:10 AM
I wear this one. It fits great, comes with armor in shoulders, elbows and back, air goes thru it all, and has a Goldwing Logo on the back. I have added F6B logo on front from our Steve. Love the jacket and it looks great with my Bilt mesh pants. It looks like this:

shooter
02-13-2016, 10:00 PM
Luke is right. I have this same coat without the Goldwing logo. Joe Rocket fits true to size and quality is great.

wjduke
02-14-2016, 05:56 AM
I wear this one. It fits great, comes with armor in shoulders, elbows and back, air goes thru it all, and has a Goldwing Logo on the back. I have added F6B logo on front from our Steve. Love the jacket and it looks great with my Bilt mesh pants. It looks like this:

I like this jacket. I do need a summer mesh. Here we go again....mo money

stroguy
02-14-2016, 08:19 AM
Luke is right. I have this same coat without the Goldwing logo. Joe Rocket fits true to size and quality is great.

It is a nice fit, but I never could adjust to the back plate. But, it comes out easily.

shooter
02-14-2016, 01:42 PM
Stro if you pony up the money and get the CE rated back protector it is flexible and very comfortable.

ShanghaiDan
02-14-2016, 08:19 PM
Try a Sastec back protector (http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/scorpion-sc-115-sas-tec-back-protector). It's a non-newtonian-fluid-like material (like silly putty): soft and pliable when bent slowly, but stiffens up when bent quick. You can move around with it on your back with zero restriction, but fall down/have an off and it becomes stiff and spreads the impact over a large area - just like armor is to do. I use it outside the normal "cheap" foam that comes in my gear. Cheap ($40), easy to cut/trim to size (sharp knife), and really VERY effective.

Cool Hand Luke
02-14-2016, 11:08 PM
Try a Sastec back protector (http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/scorpion-sc-115-sas-tec-back-protector). It's a non-newtonian-fluid-like material (like silly putty): soft and pliable when bent slowly, but stiffens up when bent quick. You can move around with it on your back with zero restriction, but fall down/have an off and it becomes stiff and spreads the impact over a large area - just like armor is to do. I use it outside the normal "cheap" foam that comes in my gear. Cheap ($40), easy to cut/trim to size (sharp knife), and really VERY effective.

Thanks, I didn't know this exists, I will try one!

ShanghaiDan
02-16-2016, 08:25 PM
Thanks, I didn't know this exists, I will try one!

No problem! It's really pretty cool stuff... A bit stiff when it's cold, but warms up pretty quick and then molds and bends easily. But smack it or try to bend it quick - and it's stiff as a board!

gmorstad
02-16-2016, 08:49 PM
Franklin will be my longest trip ever and I will need at some moment in my 2400 plus mile trip a waterproof riding jacket. Tell me what you have, have had and hated, have had and wish you could find it. Seems I can get very lost in the online motorcycle websites like Revzilla with the diversity of jackets. I want something waterproof but light for summer riding. I ride year long in Houston and have an extremely adequate lined leather jacket for the below 50 days. I need something for warm/hot weather travels.

53 has clued me into BMG which at first I thought it was higher than giraffe azz. Then a visit to the online retailers and BMG suddenly appears to be middle of the road.

So tell me what you got.

I have the Tourmaster Flex series and really like it. It has a mesh inner jacket for summer and a solid cortex shell as well as liners for warmth. I believe it is water resistant and not waterproof but with a taller windshield I would not be concerned. It also has a back pad, shoulder pads and elbow pads. I went down wearing a Tourmaster mesh jacket with pads and it held up well. No injuries to my elbows or shoulders. The mesh did not tear.