PDA

View Full Version : Blindspot Mirror... help me out guys

srt8-in-largo
05-27-2015, 08:54 PM
I saw a bike the other day with Saeng mirrors and it made me rethink my Riderscan and believe something better is out there. As much as I love the Riderscan, there are two things that bug me:

1) checking blindspot is now a distinct two step process... check the mirror, look back at the road, check the blindspot.

2) the GPS on my RAM mount blocks the view

There's no way in hell I'm gonna pay for Saeng mirrors; $250! What are you guys using??

hiflyer
05-27-2015, 10:28 PM
I saw a bike the other day with Saeng mirrors and it made me rethink my Riderscan and believe something better is out there. As much as I love the Riderscan, there are two things that bug me:

1) checking blindspot is now a distinct two step process... check the mirror, look back at the road, check the blindspot.

There's no way in hell I'm gonna pay for Saeng mirrors; $250! What are you guys using??

Ditch the gps:poke:

srt8-in-largo
05-27-2015, 10:53 PM
:crackup:

Aw man... no way

Steve 0080
05-27-2015, 11:00 PM
That is a butt ugly mirror......sorry lose the GPS or move it...

https://www.saeng.com/product.php?product_pk1=253

srt8-in-largo
05-28-2015, 01:06 AM
It kinda is huh! Can you believe the price they're asking for those?

What caught my attention is that they're nice and bigger than the small stick on mirrors and they don't consume real estate on the OEM mirrors. And they can be adjusted to however you want.

Blindspot mirrors are pretty important to me on a bike, essential, actually. I did quite a lot of hunting tonight and failed to find anything with the right blend of form that I like and function that I want.

This is a project in the making. Watch this spot for a custom set of mirrors coming...

cosborn
05-28-2015, 01:45 AM
I just use the $3.50 round convex rotatable mirror that attaches to the side mirror via double sided tape. It can be adjusted to give you 180 degree rear view from where your peripheral vision runs out. I used these on my bm before the F6B and would not be without them.

Cheers Chris

srt8-in-largo
05-28-2015, 12:44 PM
I just use the $3.50 round convex rotatable mirror that attaches to the side mirror via double sided tape. It can be adjusted to give you 180 degree rear view from where your peripheral vision runs out. I used these on my bm before the F6B and would not be without them.

Cheers Chris

Adjustable? Got a link or part number?

Travelor
05-28-2015, 01:42 PM
Mounts to underside of dash, no holes or drilling. Doesn't block instruments. Includes tether to secure GPS. 2 sizes of mounting disc - 65mm and 80mm. PM me if interested for price.

Fla_rider
05-28-2015, 01:46 PM

I bought a set like these from cycle gear I think they were on sale for $7. I searched and came up with this SKU : web1004799, they're down to $6 now. I put them on my old NC700X. Then when I got the 6 I got a set that has a different shape from a non-sponsored site.

shooter
05-28-2015, 05:11 PM

George I use my neck and turn my head. Its a new concept I realize.

Hornblower
05-28-2015, 05:17 PM

Me too, Shooter :yes:. I tried those little convex mirrors placed in the corner of the OEM mirrors and realized after a while, I wasn't really using them. Besides, they take up real "mirror room". I think we call this "getting back to the basics".

hiflyer
05-28-2015, 05:18 PM

:icon_doh:

flat6bagger
05-28-2015, 08:25 PM

Walmart has what appears to be the same ones for $2.99 in automotive.

Doug

xgringo
05-28-2015, 08:42 PM
I had the Saeng blind spot mirrors on my previous bike for 5 years. I tried very hard to like them because of the investment. But looking into two different mirror setups and you have to do the head check anyway because you can't tell distance made them worthless. They became more or less nerdy looking decorations on my bike. And finally, you lose the natural hanger for your jacket and believe me you will miss it.

srt8-in-largo
05-28-2015, 09:00 PM
Mounts to underside of dash, no holes or drilling. Doesn't block instruments. Includes tether to secure GPS. 2 sizes of mounting disc - 65mm and 80mm. PM me if interested for price.

Ah I've seen you offer these before; very ingenuitive! Can you not post a public price? The location is great for a GPS.

I bought a set like these from cycle gear I think they were on sale for $7. I searched and came up with this SKU : web1004799, they're down to $6 now. I put them on my old NC700X. Then when I got the 6 I got a set that has a different shape from a non-sponsored site.

Found it, thanks! These stickons are my last resort; with my eye sight getting worse I need BIGGER blindspot mirror :icon_biggrin:

Thanks Les! :icon_mrgreen:

Me too, Shooter :yes:. I tried those little convex mirrors placed in the corner of the OEM mirrors and realized after a while, I wasn't really using them. Besides, they take up real "mirror room". I think we call this "getting back to the basics".

You and Shooter make a good point; turning your head and actually looking is probably best when making a lane change. However, I scan constantly, even when not changing lanes. I'd like to have mirrors that add the blindspot to my scan just to have a more complete situational awareness.

:icon_doh:

Be sure to wear a helmet when you do that :icon_biggrin:

srt8-in-largo
05-28-2015, 09:04 PM
Walmart has what appears to be the same ones for $2.99 in automotive.

Doug

I do so much online shopping that I'm almost out of place in a brick -n- mortar store :icon_biggrin: Now that I have my bike back I'll ride over and see what they have.

I had the Saeng blind spot mirrors on my previous bike for 5 years. I tried very hard to like them because of the investment. But looking into two different mirror setups and you have to do the head check anyway because you can't tell distance made them worthless. They became more or less nerdy looking decorations on my bike. And finally, you lose the natural hanger for your jacket and believe me you will miss it.

Including yours, I've had nothing but negative feedback on the Saeng's, in PM and a couple of comments above. I think this will close the chapter on Saeng; thanks.

cosborn
05-29-2015, 04:59 AM
Hey George, don't have a part number but i think the round convex mirrors are available at most auto parts places, here in Au its REPCO or Autoco.

Chris

Fla_rider
05-29-2015, 08:28 AM
George - KEY WORD being "Now that you have your bike back!" :clap2:

flat6bagger
05-29-2015, 08:40 AM
I think blind spot mirrors of any kind are annoying.
If you adjust your mirrors correctly,the blind spot is all but eliminated.
According to experts most people adjust their vehicle mirrors incorrectly.
You should not be able to see any portion of your vehicle.
The mirror should be adjusted just past this point.
On a motorcycle you will still see a bit of yourself,but should not see mostly you.
I will find the article and post it later.(hopefully I will find it)

Doug

srt8-in-largo
05-29-2015, 09:44 AM
Hey George, don't have a part number but i think the round convex mirrors are available at most auto parts places, here in Au its REPCO or Autoco.

Chris

Thanks Chris :yes:

George - KEY WORD being "Now that you have your bike back!" :clap2:

EXACTLY...

On a motorcycle you will still see a bit of yourself,but should not see mostly you.

Doug

Interesting Doug; many people feel this way, no doubt due to psychological differences, differences to visual motion sensitivity, etc.

Some people like high levels of information and detail... others like to simplfy. I'm in the former camp.

I've seen the articles and diagrams about using flat mirrors to see into, or eliminate, the blindspot. I angle my OEM mirrors as far outward as possible, but no matter where you aim them, the simple fact remains; a CONVEX mirror will always have a wider viewing angle than a flat one and therefore will always show more of your surroundings.

flat6bagger
05-29-2015, 09:56 AM
Thanks George for politely calling me an anal person because I am an analyze everything kind of guy.:icon_lol:

Doug

53driver
05-29-2015, 10:02 AM
Thanks George for politely calling me an anal person because I am an analyze everything kind of guy.:icon_lol:

Doug

Doug - I agreed wholeheartedly with your post. Teaching my kids to drive, and helping their friends get the mirrors setup properly, then teaching motorcyclists to set their mirrors properly has been an eye-opening experience in to exactly how unaware the general populace is on such things.

srt8-in-largo
05-29-2015, 10:12 AM

Doug

Always question... always challenge... always analyze.

These are good things but how do we do them respectfully; I'm still trying to figure it out :yes:

Doug - I agreed wholeheartedly with your post. Teaching my kids to drive, and helping their friends get the mirrors setup properly, then teaching motorcyclists to set their mirrors properly has been an eye-opening experience in to exactly how unaware the general populace is on such things.

Hey I already called him anal; are you calling him a simpleton?

53driver
05-29-2015, 10:19 AM
Hey I already called him anal; are you calling him a simpleton?
Not at all! I am just continuously amazed at how people have their mirrors setup on cars and bikes.
People seem to need a reference point.
"I can't tell where that other car is relative to my car if I can't see my car in the mirror!"
How about:
"If it's in your mirror, it's there."

I always walked, 3 feet away from the car, from the back of the front passenger door, around the back, and up to the rear of the driver door.
My daughters never lost sight of me if their mirrors were properly adjusted, and they had no blind spots.

flat6bagger
05-29-2015, 12:51 PM
I also think it is odd that people need a reference point such as the side of your car.
When people say,"I need to see the side for a reference point," I come back with,"then tell me how you judge where a car is behind you while looking in your inside rear view mirror?"
"You,can't see the end of your car for a reference point."
All you can see is the rear window as it is mounted in your car.

Doug

ths61
05-29-2015, 11:52 PM
http://www.itstactical.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/driving-article-infographic1-01.jpg

http://www.itstactical.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/driving-article-infographic2-01.jpg

bobbyf6b
05-30-2015, 12:40 AM

Doug

I drive for a living and, although it's personal preference, I call BS on that information. If you cannot see a little bit of your vehicle in the mirror then you have no point of reference as to where other vehicles are located around you. You also can't see what is directly behind you. Big trucks and motorcycles have no center rear view mirror. That's why trucks have spot mirrors, to see to the side. You also won't be able to see emergency vehicles coming up behind you. I think it's a very UNSAFE practice to put your mirrors out that far. Turn your head! But like I said, it's personal preference.

ths61
05-30-2015, 12:48 AM
With my F6B mirrors all the way out, I still see the outside of my mitts. I think the F6B mirrors are great compared to other bikes.

My mitts took up @ 50% of my former Vision's mirrors in comparison.

srt8-in-largo
05-30-2015, 01:00 AM
I agree with you Bobby.

Nobody is saying that we need to fill the mirror with our own vehicle, but there needs to be just enough to be able to tell where your mirrors are angled. Without a reference you don't know if you're angled one, two, or three lanes out. Further, if your mirror gets bumped and is moved out of location, you have no way of knowing that without a reference. So when you think you're looking at the next lane, you're actually looking two lanes over. Not having a reference is *unsafe* due to the inherent and implied uncertainty.

When you're driving or riding, *nothing* should be uncertain.

When you guys say turn your head and look, a similar thing exists when you're sitting in a cage. Look in the mirror, see the reference and know unambiguously that your mirrors are still adjusted right, scan for cars.... and then LEAN FORWARD to be able to scan the mirrors further out to the sides. God knows most of you need to do crunches and sit-ups anyway.

53driver
05-30-2015, 08:50 AM
I drive for a living and, although it's personal preference, I call BS on that information. If you cannot see a little bit of your vehicle in the mirror then you have no point of reference as to where other vehicles are located around you. You also can't see what is directly behind you. Big trucks and motorcycles have no center rear view mirror. That's why trucks have spot mirrors, to see to the side. You also won't be able to see emergency vehicles coming up behind you. I think it's a very UNSAFE practice to put your mirrors out that far. Turn your head! But like I said, it's personal preference.

Driving a truck, towing a trailer, or riding a motorcycle, and driving a prius are two very different scenarios.
Yes, with no center rearview, the mirrors need to be such that the operator may see what is directly behind - and this is when those spot mirrors are gold (bikes included).
With a car? Nope. Not required (but people have their 'preferences')
In 99% of all cagers, if the mirrors are tweaked properly, the driver may go from his peripheral vision on either side, to the side mirrors and to the rear view mirror and not miss a thing.
I guess I've learned to trust my instruments while flying.
No worries.

flat6bagger
05-30-2015, 09:11 AM
[QUOTE=bobbyf6b;80603]I drive for a living and, although it's personal preference, I call BS on that information. If you cannot see a little bit of your vehicle in the mirror then you have no point of reference as to where other vehicles are located around you. You also can't see what is directly behind you. Big trucks and motorcycles have no center rear view mirror. That's why trucks have spot mirrors, to see to the side. You also won't be able to see emergency vehicles coming up behind you. I think it's a very UNSAFE practice to put your mirrors out that far. Turn your head! But like I said, it's personal preference.[/

I don't drive a truck or any vehicle that does not have a rear view mirror in the center,except a motorcycle.
Having the center rear view mirror gives me the capability to see vehicles on both sides and directly behind me.
I drove a dump truck and totally understand needing to be able to see part of the truck as point of reference due to not having a center mirror.
Again,I was talking about vehicles equipped with a center rear view mirror.
As far as a motorcycle,on mine at least,you can not adjust the mirror out far enough to not see part of yourself and behind you,so that is a moot point.
When I am talking about setting the side mirrors on a car,I am not talking about setting them so far out that you are not seeing the lane next to you either.
I am saying that by having them out just past seeing the side of your car makes it to be able to see the lane next to you totally.

Doug

bobbyf6b
05-30-2015, 03:17 PM
I wasn't trying to jump all over you Doug. Sorry if my post was a little harsh. I have to remember that a lot of riders also drive cages. I go from bike to truck to bike.

My favorite mirror in high school was the Wink mirror. I could see everything. Might look a bit silly mounted to the shield of the B though. :icon_wink:

flat6bagger
05-30-2015, 03:28 PM
I wasn't trying to jump all over you Doug. Sorry if my post was a little harsh. I have to remember that a lot of riders also drive cages. I go from bike to truck to bike.

My favorite mirror in high school was the Wink mirror. I could see everything. Might look a bit silly mounted to the shield of the B though. :icon_wink:

I didn't take it like you were jumping on me at all.
No worries.
That mirror in the photo is what I had in both my side by sides when I had them.

Doug

srt8-in-largo
06-05-2015, 11:08 PM
Well I solved my problem. Going from a 6 inch RAM arm to a 3 inch tucks my GPS down and out of the way.

Now that my Riderscan has a full unobstructed view again, I've fallen back in LOVE with it. After taking a fair look at available blindspot mirrors... I'm back to believing this is the best option goin.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-bkA9hlxBM_c/VXJv9TxWxJI/AAAAAAAAC8w/-mT744fNc-4/s800/DSC00747.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-VeI9e8de3qA/VXJv9xKGu9I/AAAAAAAAC80/uEXXRbMsIQw/s800/DSC00748.JPG

Steve 0080
06-05-2015, 11:11 PM
I didn't take it like you were jumping on me at all.
No worries.
That mirror in the photo is what I had in both my side by sides when I had them.

Doug

Hey !!! I had a mirror like that in my Bronco...loved it!!!

srt8-in-largo
06-05-2015, 11:14 PM
Looks like it doubles as a sun visor :icon_mrgreen:

Steve 0080
06-05-2015, 11:17 PM

Doug

Not sure now where I learned it but I was taught to sit in the center, front and adjust your mirrors( out side mirrors)...they would be perfect....

flat6bagger
06-06-2015, 07:07 AM
Now that you mention sitting in the center to adjust,I believe when I was in drivers ed the instructor said something like that.
I don't know why that seems to be what I remember,but that sounds correct.

Doug

SoCal Rich
06-06-2015, 11:48 AM
This might help get GPS out of the way; I really like mine:

http://www.motorcyclelarry.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=8

srt8-in-largo
06-06-2015, 12:59 PM
Those are badass Rich; if the 3 inch RAM arm didn't work I might go to something like that or what Travellor has.