PDA

View Full Version : Looking at F6B in Thailand

Ricohoc
05-29-2015, 02:37 AM
I'm new here today. Hello from Thailand! Yes, for real.

I've searched the forum looking for a "welcome" area or "new members" area, but I'm getting old and couldn't locate one.

We don't have a lot of NEW big bike choices in Thailand. There are lots of restrictions on imported big bikes, and most cost twice as much as they cost in the US. I'm in between bikes right now. Just sold my Yamaha Road Star 1600, and I'm looking seriously at the F6B to replace it. I'm here to find out all I can about the bike -- besides what I have already read and researched online.

The F6B is one of the few big bikes here that can be purchased new and also have official taxes, title and plates. I'm hoping that your expertise with the F6B will help me decide that it will be my last bike. In Thailand, the F6B is priced new at around $30,000 USD, which includes import taxes.

=====

I was born in Galveston, TX and lived there and in St. Louis growing up. For most of my adult life, I lived in various places in South Louisiana (between New Orleans and Lafayette). I retired in 2010 and moved to Thailand after spending the 5 previous years traveling and looking for a retirement location where I could get the most bang for my buck and STAY retired. Thailand is it. For every $30,000 USD you have, you're a millionaire here.

I started riding 30 years ago, but the bulk of my riding has occurred after retirement. I've been to every corner of Thailand and also into Cambodia and Laos.

=====

If I've screwed up right off the bat in posting in this area, please accept my apologies. I'll get it right.

I appreciate the opportunity to be here and learn about the F6B! 14242

USMARINE
05-29-2015, 06:15 AM
Welcome from Atlanta, enjoy life and ride safe. Some of us spend a lifetime working hard. Retirement is about doing what have hindered yourself from doing or buying doing your working years; go for it. The F6B is a great bike, that will last you a very long time.

53driver
05-29-2015, 06:45 AM
Welcome to the forum!
.welcome20.'welcome gang':039::cheers:

Spent several weeks in Korat, a few days in Bangkok, and of course Pataya (sp?) Beach. When I was there, spelling was the least of my concerns.
Thai whiskey and I were great together one night, but we're not friends anymore......

Hope you find the F6B you seek. $30k is steep, but the USD goes so much further everywhere else, I'm sure you can make up the delta.
Happy hunting - the search window is your friend.
Most people want more of a windshield, buy one, then realize they want a seat with more of a 'bucket', then the windshield isn't right, and then the handlebars are not adjustable enough, and that loop continues.
Seat...windscreen...Helibars.
Best of luck!

Deer Slayer
05-29-2015, 08:06 PM
Hi, welcome, We have seen a black F6B posted on here from Thailand. I was at U-Tapao RTNAB IN 1967. Good Luck. :cheers:

Ricohoc
05-30-2015, 05:12 AM
Thanks for the welcome, guys! Much appreciated.

Yes, we have them here new, which is a big plus for Thailand when it comes to big bikes. 2015 models here are blue metallic and matte silver. No idea what the rest of the world has to choose from ...

53driver, we still make that run from Khorat to BKK to Pattaya and back. We don't know how to spell it either. There's more to Thailand than spelling. And yes, I'm already looking at accessories and after market stuff like rider floorboards, rear luggage rack, passenger backrest/sissy bar, heel/toe shifter, crash bars, running lights ... and last, but not least, some pipes that ROAR!

Thanks for the good luck wishes, Deer Slayer! 14269