PDA

View Full Version : Any Bourbon lovers in here?

Big Dawg
05-29-2015, 08:11 AM
I have been a Vodka drinker for years, and I still like the stuff. However, about a year ago, a good friend came up to my mountain house armed with a bottle of "Bookers" single barrel bourbon. He re-introduced me to Bourbon, really good bourbon. A year later, he has basically created a monster. I have over 30 bottles of small batch, and single barrel bourbons. These bottles range in price from $450 to $20. It has been a new adventure trying to locate some of the small release high end bottles. Once you migrate away from the bottom shelf bourbons and sample some of those on the top shelf, you may just be as amazed as I was.

If you are interested in discovering the reason that the whole world has gone nuts over bourbon, then you should educate yourself with this video. It is pretty damn interesting. It is so damn weird that 5 or 6 years ago, bourbon wasn't that big a deal but thanks to folks like Elmer T Lee, it is a whole new game., Watch the video and find out who Elmer T Lee and Elijah Craig are.

Cheers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wx7unZ7enYg&list=FL66aWQbNazL5zR5giUCc4tQ

Steve 0080
05-29-2015, 08:14 AM
Well you know I am a fan.....FYI...Bookers was the first offering ever from a barrel to a bottle, full strength uncut...in my terms, " it will knock the hair off of it"...no matter what "it"...Great bourbon, top three in my book !!!

Big Dawg
05-29-2015, 08:24 AM
Well you know I am a fan.....FYI...Bookers was the first offering ever from a barrel to a bottle, full strength uncut...in my terms, " it will know the hair off of it"...no matter what "it"...Great bourbon, top three in my book !!!

Yeah, and you are the guilty party that I was refering to. Thanks a lot pal, you have cost me a small fortune! By the way, my business partner from Kentucky told me last night that he was able to get me a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle 13 year old Rye! I should have it in a few days. I still haven't been able to find The Elijah Craig barrel proof release #8, it is unobtainium in Savannah. John is checking some of his contacts in Louisville, Ky for me.

Hornblower
05-29-2015, 08:32 AM
OK, guys...spirited riding, no problem. Spirits riding, fugetaboutit :nono:. :cheers: :poke:

Big Dawg
05-29-2015, 08:57 AM
OK, guys...spirited riding, no problem. Spirits riding, fugetaboutit :nono:. :cheers: :poke:

Ken, you forget.....I have pictures and I still have a partial bottle of EverClear :lolup::moon::clap2:

M61A1MECH
05-29-2015, 09:17 AM
I enjoy Bourbon, not sure I am up to par with your tastes.

I have been drinking Woodford Reserve Double Oaked for about 2 years, I like it, I know some do not, but it is comfortably in my price range.

Hornblower
05-29-2015, 09:45 AM
Ken, you forget.....I have pictures and I still have a partial bottle of EverClear :lolup::moon::clap2:

Why, Jimmy? I have no idea what you're talking about :icon_redface:. Well, at least, I don't remember anything about it :popcorn: :spank:

53driver
05-29-2015, 09:59 AM
I like my scotches.....most bourbons I find too sweet.
However, I am willing to try new and interesting adult beverages.
Slainte!

Big Dawg
05-29-2015, 10:23 AM
I enjoy Bourbon, not sure I am up to par with your tastes.

I have been drinking Woodford Reserve Double Oaked for about 2 years, I like it, I know some do not, but it is comfortably in my price range.

Woodford is an outstanding bourbon. It is a wonderful go to bourbon for all occasions. It is the offical bourbon of the Kentucky Derby, and that says alot right there. What I was refering to was sipping some of the single barrel and cask strength bourbons. Not talking about getting plastered, but sampling the flavors of the different ones. Especally drinking (sipping) it neat or with a piece of ice. However some of the higher proof bottles like Bookers at 127 proof and Elijah Craig at 138 proof, you might want to tone down with a splash of water or Ginger ale.

Steve 0080
05-29-2015, 10:34 AM
The best thing about bourbon is you don't have to have your pinky finger in the air !!!

Big Dawg
05-29-2015, 10:45 AM
The best thing about bourbon is you don't have to have your pinky finger in the air !!!

Yeah but too much and your feet will be in the air! ha ha

Steve, I promise you that you were here for this bourbon tasting party, just not sure if you remember............
http://gl1800riders.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=352402&d=1432914127

53driver
05-29-2015, 11:04 AM
Yeah but too much and your feet will be in the air! ha ha

Steve, I promise you that you were here for this bourbon tasting party, just not sure if you remember............
http://gl1800riders.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=352402&d=1432914127

Damn....I know it wasn't this "Steve." I would have remembered.
But now I know where to go.....

M61A1MECH
05-29-2015, 11:19 AM
Woodford is an outstanding bourbon. It is a wonderful go to bourbon for all occasions. It is the offical bourbon of the Kentucky Derby, and that says alot right there. What I was refering to was sipping some of the single barrel and cask strength bourbons. Not talking about getting plastered, but sampling the flavors of the different ones. Especally drinking (sipping) it neat or with a piece of ice. However some of the higher proof bottles like Bookers at 127 proof and Elijah Craig at 138 proof, you might want to tone down with a splash of water or Ginger ale.

OK now I am with you, so tell what do say or think when you are at a bar and ask what Bourbons do you have and they offer Jack Daniels?

I normally hold my tongue, but have been known to have a few conversations about JD not being a Bourbon.

zeus661
05-29-2015, 11:31 AM
Kessler's here.

Old Ryder
05-29-2015, 11:39 AM
I like moonshine. Seriously. Troy and Son out of Asheville and Broadslab from Benson are two of my choices-Old Smokey Distilery is a distant 3rd place14252. In the Smokie Mountains last weekend, my buddy got me a full gallon of illegal straight from Kentucky shine---$60 for a gallon. I am in heaven--for a few weeks at least.

Seriously--- I also love a certain Vodka by the name of Covington. It is made about 2 miles from my home (no name on the building and no indication of what is inside or goes on there) and sells here in NC for a$30 for a 750ml. BEST STUFF IN THE WORLD---made from sweet potatoes. At a competition in Europe it was voted best Vodka by international judges going against the worlds best. They say it takes 20 lbs of sweet potatoes to make one bottle.

http://media.visitnc.com/news/nc-sweet-potato-vodka-strikes-gold-in-national-competition

http://www.ourstate.com/sweet-potato-vodka/

http://www.covingtonvodka.com/contact.html

Steve 0080
05-29-2015, 12:53 PM
OK now I am with you, so tell what do say or think when you are at a bar and ask what Bourbons do you have and they offer Jack Daniels?

I normally hold my tongue, but have been known to have a few conversations about JD not being a Bourbon.

JD would be a whiskey that you could use a mixer w/...... not a sippin whiskey....

stepbill
05-29-2015, 12:57 PM
I'm not really a hard liquor drinker, love me a good Long Island Ice Tea or beer but I have thought about trying bourbon. Have you ever tried Knob Creek and if so, what did you think?

Steve 0080
05-29-2015, 01:05 PM
Everybody has different tastes...for me... I prefer sweet, over 120 proof and under 12 years of age......ummmm that did not sound right.... whiskey, cold, women hot and over 30 yoa....

Steve 0080
05-29-2015, 01:19 PM
I'm not really a hard liquor drinker, love me a good Long Island Ice Tea or beer but I have thought about trying bourbon. Have you ever tried Knob Creek and if so, what did you think?

Knnob Creek in the Black label , is a single barrel bourbon... nothing wrong with that one...I like it !!!! Some of the best bourbons out there IMHO are under $40 !!! believe it or not !

stepbill
05-29-2015, 01:44 PM
Everybody has different tastes...for me... I prefer sweet, over 120 proof and under 12 years of age......ummmm that did not sound right.... whiskey, cold, women hot and over 30 yoa....

I like sweet also! What would be a good sweet bourbon? I used to like Southern Comfort :icon_redface: when I was a teenager because it was sweet.

tinknocker
05-29-2015, 04:05 PM
And here I am currently with some Evan Williams.normally I drink Jim beam but apparently I have a lot to learn

taxfree4
05-29-2015, 05:30 PM
Maybe, I'm partial to redheads.

Steve 0080
05-29-2015, 05:59 PM
I like sweet also! What would be a good sweet bourbon? I used to like Southern Comfort :icon_redface: when I was a teenager because it was sweet.

My persoanl preference is Bookers, by Jim Beam !!! About $75..... for sweet I would try four roses or angels envy...both under $40.00

M61A1MECH
05-29-2015, 07:00 PM

I would suggest the Woodford reserve Double Oaked, is has a bit of sweetness to it, definetly different than standard Woodford or Makers Mark which is my fall back if I cannot get Woodford in a bar or resturant.

jm21ddd15
05-29-2015, 08:09 PM
I kinda like Bushmills Single Malt. Makes for good sippin! :yes:

Big Dawg
05-31-2015, 07:21 PM
Here is a nice rieview on some very good Bourbons under $30

Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCvsLglxeUY