PDA

View Full Version : I think I want a F6B, convince me.

Greg O
05-30-2015, 05:18 PM
As I stated in another post. I have been on here a week. I have not rode in 4 years, but I have the itch again. I had back surgery 5 years ago. I have been riding Harleys since the early 90's, had 3 the last one being a Electra Glide Classic. Since the surgery I am unable to ride continuously for more than an hour without pain, even with a drivers backrest, due to the vibrations and harder ride. Will the F6B be the bike I can ride. Looking for input from ex Harley guys.

GNW
05-30-2015, 05:27 PM
I think so.
Older I am. I got back problems and other stuff, but the F6B is good with factory seat and Rivco pegs for me. Owned a lot of scoots ( all brands ). F6B WORKS !! Only you know your health and body.

stroguy
05-30-2015, 05:32 PM
As I stated in another post. I have been on here a week. I have not rode in 4 years, but I have the itch again. I had back surgery 5 years ago. I have been riding Harleys since the early 90's, had 3 the last one being a Electra Glide Classic. Since the surgery I am unable to ride continuously for more than an hour without pain, even with a drivers backrest, due to the vibrations and harder ride. Will the F6B be the bike I can ride. Looking for input from ex Harley guys.

Welcome O. You want one because it is a smooth operator. Flat 6 has plenty of power. I have embarrassed a few HDs and stunned a couple others. Seating position is excellent and the stock seat is very comfortable. Plus you have this awesome forum and a new batch of friends instantly. Go drive one but don't take the wife if you are on the fence. She will knock you off into the buy side of the yard.

Welcome again O.

F6B1911
05-30-2015, 05:37 PM
Have your local dealer set you up with a test ride, then you can convince yourself.

Greg O
05-30-2015, 05:56 PM
Does the flat 6 generate a lot of heat. On hot days with the Harley you not only get the heat from the day but the engine heat rises up making it twice as bad.

shooter
05-30-2015, 06:21 PM
I don't care if you get one or not. Leaves more for the guys that really want them. Just kidding. Kind of. You shouldn't let anyone talk you into something. Your choice should be based on fact and experience. Having said that , if you think you will like a 'riders' motorcycle and can handle a big bike with gobs of power , the B may be for you.

GNW
05-30-2015, 06:25 PM
Does the flat 6 generate a lot of heat. On hot days with the Harley you not only get the heat from the day but the engine heat rises up making it twice as bad.

Really, really hot day, with the wind just right, you can feel some heat, but not like a Harley, and your girl friend/wife won't have a thermal melt down (unless you want such).

opas ride
05-30-2015, 06:40 PM
No one can convince you but yourself...Arrange a test ride with a dealer and you will not want to look at anything else once you return from riding the best bike out there for the money!!!.....Good Luck...No comparison to a HD in my opinion,,,,

tinknocker
05-30-2015, 07:00 PM
I sold my ultra classic last year and bought an f6.....worst decision ever...said no one ever .....really I wish I had found the f6 10 years ago when I bought my Harley....so smooth you could sit your cup of coffee on your upper shelter.....though it might scratch the paint.....the heat is way better than a Harley...although the vents you see on the outer fairing are where the air goes after it passes through the radiator so if you tend to kick your knee out while riding it will catch the hit air and throw it up in your chest

Greg O
05-30-2015, 07:18 PM
I have missed riding since the day I sold my Harley. But it was brutal on my back. Then I seen a Progressive or Geico motorcycle insurance commercial , can't remember and I said what is that bike. Did some research and now I'm here. The cost of the F6B won't put you in the poor house either. At 55 I have nothing to prove anymore, not that I did before anyhow. I just want to ride again if I can. I also really like the styling of the F6B.

coffee_weasle
05-30-2015, 07:19 PM
i had a '96 electraglide, then a '08 ultra classic eletraglide, traded the latter for the f6b,
best decision i ever made.....
smooth, powerful, comfortable, dependable, super stable in stiff cross-winds ... i could go on...

i'll sum it up this way, i do long road trips, i spend all the trip riding the f6, and none of time waiting at the service bay door

Greg O
05-30-2015, 07:28 PM
For 14 grand for a brand new 13, you just can't beat that. If Honda motorcycles are anything like there cars. lt will be reliable and cost very little on maintenance.

ths61
05-30-2015, 07:33 PM
Rent one for a day and judge for yourself.

RLatt
05-30-2015, 08:08 PM
i had a '96 electraglide, then a '08 ultra classic eletraglide, traded the latter for the f6b,
best decision i ever made.....
smooth, powerful, comfortable, dependable, super stable in stiff cross-winds ... i could go on...

i'll sum it up this way, i do long road trips, i spend all the trip riding the f6, and none of time waiting at the service bay door

+1 --- right on. Keep riding HD. Your back won't hurt because your will sitting at home, while your bike is in the shop. Come on over, you won't be sorry.

flat6bagger
05-30-2015, 08:17 PM
I base my opinion on experiences in ownership and the fact that I have scoliosis.
Harleys do everything to cause back pain.
F6Bs do everything to ease the pain.
The end.

Doug

Ericb445
05-30-2015, 08:27 PM
I say go test ride one.

Then, you will buy it.

CopperMike
05-30-2015, 09:17 PM
I say go test ride one.

Then, you will buy it.

+1

tozco
05-30-2015, 09:19 PM
I said goodbye to back pain, and hello to shoulder pain, and cramped legs and feet. No single bike can do it all.
You got to get out there and try it. The big Honda is worlds more refined than the Harley.

jm21ddd15
05-30-2015, 09:24 PM
I've never heard ANY "B" owner, that did not love his machine. You can always change a few things to personalize it, but as the others tell you, Test drive one and you will be sold! 'riding'

DC1503
05-30-2015, 09:28 PM
I say go test ride one.

Then, you will buy it.

+2 , That's what I did, and now the fever has really set in. A smooth machine, with the power right at your finger tips.

fxdl2051
05-30-2015, 10:26 PM
Why? Ride what you like, it's not the Church of Honda. I rode Harleys for 12 years, owned three and when I finally got tired of chrome as a substitute for good engineering took a spin on an f6. It beat Harley in every category except two, Harley has better paint and Harley makes the fastest t shirts in the business. Let the ride decide my friend.

53driver
05-30-2015, 11:33 PM
Greg,
Per your request - from an HD rider:
- Two herniated discs.
- Still have my '95 FLSTN - original soft tail shock thingy.
- I ride both.
- Harley ride is "firmer."
- Done 1000 mile days on both. Less motrin required with the 6.

Now - do what the others suggest: go ride one. Have them put the rear pre-load on the "comfy" setting, see what you think.

shooter
05-31-2015, 12:19 AM
You guys are trying too hard. He wants someone to beg him. I hope he buys another HD. That way when I blow past him he will have something to complain about.

taxfree4
05-31-2015, 01:21 AM

I traded my 2013 Harley Road Glide Custom (attached) because of the unbearable heat, especially in traffic, for a 2013 F6B. There is no comparison in the two as the F6B is far superior in evacuating the heat with two radiators and a high speed fan.

Brian D
05-31-2015, 03:14 AM
I came from a 2013 road glide custom. You will love the smooth power and ride of this bike. Although me personally am prob going back to harley. Trust me you will love this bike. I'm only prob gonna go back to harley for fitment issues. At 6ft3 235. I can't get comfy on this bike I also miss the sound of the hd. But I'm gonna say this. I can't say enough good about this f6b Powerful. Smooth. Fast. Smooth smooth smooth. And after back surgery. that's whAt you want

chipmaker
05-31-2015, 04:09 AM
I traded my F6B after 1.5 years. I went back to HD. The new Rushmore bikes are fantastic. Love the paint, the accessories, the factory seat, the awesome radio, the adjustable shift lever, no key to fish for, cruise control, great factory sound and the 6th gear and my removable tour pak. The only thing the F6B was better was awesome acceleration. I found the F6B to be Honda Accord like. I knew it was not gonna give me any trouble, but no excitement for me. Demo everything you are interested in, and then buy something and go ride...

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/1517820_817577821624710_2107832165537413510_n.jpg? oh=5476471837ac26da65a4e1aa7ec818c2&oe=55F54D5A

stroguy
05-31-2015, 06:50 AM
You guys are trying too hard. He wants someone to beg him. I hope he buys another HD. That way when I blow past him he will have something to complain about.

Ah perverse psychology.

wjduke
05-31-2015, 07:12 AM
Guess you and I think differently....I thought his assessment was fair. He liked the 6 but it wasn't the bike for him. Underhanded or not, it's his opinion, and that's what the OP is looking for. I'm sure he expected a 99.9% approval rate on this forum...here's the .1!

This was a response to flatbagger, now his is gone...nevermind!

flat6bagger
05-31-2015, 07:14 AM
Chipmaker,
If your Harley is so wonderful why don't you go to a Harley forum?
You never seem to have much good to say about F6Bs yet you feel a need to remain on the F6B forum.
Why is that?

Doug

stroguy
05-31-2015, 07:15 AM
You must be mistaken, nobody typed a word against chipmakers input. I think it will be respected.

EdIT........oops, never mind. Back to the OP please.

flat6bagger
05-31-2015, 07:18 AM
wjduke,
I deleted that post because it didn't say exactly how I felt.
You can stick up for him all you like.
You have an opinion, he has an opinion and I have a right to mine.
I just don't see anything positive about coming on a forum and always finding fault with the F6B.
Go to a Harley forum and start talking about how much better you like your F6B than a Harley and see what responses you get.

Doug

stroguy
05-31-2015, 07:26 AM
Ah, I must have been mid posting and didn't see them. Chip did compliment the 6, and then called it an Accord, which I don't understand. But, hey he gave an evaluation and I am sure the OP appreciates it. I went and looked at HD videos of the Rushmore and I like the entertainment system but the bike just seems compact. I don't ride for the entertainment system. I want wide open, performance and scenery.

Curious of OTD pricing on a Rushmore.

a1scoot
05-31-2015, 08:39 AM
Why settle for one….Ride em all…..
http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/tt51/a1scoot/IMG_1838_zps14xtqnx5.jpg (http://s597.photobucket.com/user/a1scoot/media/IMG_1838_zps14xtqnx5.jpg.html)

Retired Army
05-31-2015, 09:00 AM
Pain is the limiting factor in the pursuit of continued riding pleasure. The choice therefor is the bike that can be operated the longest time before the pain becomes a safety factor for all concerned.

flat6bagger
05-31-2015, 09:12 AM
Pain is the limiting factor in the pursuit of continued riding pleasure. The choice there for is the bike that can be operated the longest time before the pain becomes a safety factor for all concerned.

AMEN!

shooter
05-31-2015, 09:28 AM
wjduke,
I deleted that post because it didn't say exactly how I felt.
You can stick up for him all you like.
You have an opinion, he has an opinion and I have a right to mine.
I just don't see anything positive about coming on a forum and always finding fault with the F6B.
Go to a Harley forum and start talking about how much better you like your F6B than a Harley and see what responses you get.

Doug
I agree. I don't hang out on HD sites telling them how good the B is. On my 109 site if the guys that know me ask I try to keep my answer low key or send a pm. Personally I think its low rent and petty to come on here and sing the praises of another brand when you don't even own a B. Just my opinion but I entitled.

hiflyer
05-31-2015, 09:39 AM
I found the F6B to be Honda Accord like. I knew it was not gonna give me any trouble, but no excitement for me.

You must have not ridden yours like I ride mine. Whatever makes you happy is all that matters, but there seems to be more folks on this site that prefer an F6B over an HD.

jm21ddd15
05-31-2015, 09:46 AM
I traded my F6B after 1.5 years. I went back to HD. The new Rushmore bikes are fantastic. Love the paint, the accessories, the factory seat, the awesome radio, the adjustable shift lever, no key to fish for, cruise control, great factory sound and the 6th gear and my removable tour pak. The only thing the F6B was better was awesome acceleration. I found the F6B to be Honda Accord like. I knew it was not gonna give me any trouble, but no excitement for me. Demo everything you are interested in, and then buy something and go ride...

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/1517820_817577821624710_2107832165537413510_n.jpg? oh=5476471837ac26da65a4e1aa7ec818c2&oe=55F54D5A

The Harley looks OK, but with all the "stuff" on it, maybe you should compare it to a full Wing, not the "6". I ride the 6, because it "doesn't" have a recliner on the back. Just me, your choice.

Greg O
05-31-2015, 09:53 AM
You guys are trying too hard. He wants someone to beg him. I hope he buys another HD. That way when I blow past him he will have something to complain about. No, you are under standing me wrong, I will not buy another Harley, but I'm trying to find out what to buy. I've been there done that. Had Harleys since 95, time for something different, that looks good easy to ride and doesn't beat you to death.

bigbird
05-31-2015, 09:59 AM
I'll help you.
A good friend bought a '13 Ultra Classic HD, I don't know the exact model, but it had half the alphabet in it, and he really liked it initially.
Once the reality set in, he kept spending more and more to get the right sound, better performance, and the individual look.
After 1 year of ownership he told me he should have either bought what I ride, or a GL1800. This year we were in a Honda shop together and he fell in love with the 40th anniversary edition of the GL1800 in two tone black and red.
He definitely has buyer's remorse.

flat6bagger
05-31-2015, 10:00 AM
I believe that some people stay on or go back to motorcycle forums and make negative comments after buying another brand for entertainment.
Unless they are totally out of their minds,they have to know they are going to ruffle some feathers.
When someone like me responds defending the motorcycle(in this case the F6B) they must get some kind of pleasure knowing they pissed them off.
Others can go for the BS that they are just voicing their opinion and comparing brands,etc.
I am not going for it.
When I get rid of a motorcycle,side by side or whatever that I was on a forum related to it,I leave the forum.
I have nothing to contribute in a positive manner after getting rid of that machine.
If I didn't like the machine I sure as heck would not keep coming back on the forum talking about the negatives to people who love them.
I would think that they should take the time they are wasting bashing the motorcycle you did not like and sign up on a forum to learn all you can about your new motorcycle.

Doug

bobbyf6b
05-31-2015, 10:17 AM
Three days of solid riding on my F6B last weekend. No back pain.

One day on my Sportster yesterday. Back pain today.

I know the Sporty isn't a straight up comparison but It's a bike that I love and WANT to ride, so it's worth the price. The F6B is a no brainer for a long trip and riding to work everyday, pain free.

Greg O
05-31-2015, 10:26 AM
I would like to retract the statement that I will not buy another Harley. Who knows the future. Harley may develop and design a water cooled smooth balance bagger. Right now, in may life I'm looking at the F6B, seems like it could be the right bike for me at this time. I enjoyed the 20 years I rode Harleys, fun time in my life. As I get older things change,

flat6bagger
05-31-2015, 10:43 AM
Greg,
what it all comes down to is what is going to be the best motorcycle for you at any given time.
As a wise friend of mine used to say.."That is why they make different color paint!"
Whatever you choose,I hope your journeys are safe and pleasurable for you.

Doug

ddoug
05-31-2015, 10:45 AM
I say go test ride one.

Then, you will buy it.

Yep !!!!!!

Brian D
05-31-2015, 11:09 AM
Greg O. I understand ya. Buying a bike is a big decision. Especially since you haven't rode for 4yrs. I can't say enough good about the f6. Although I'm having a hard time meshing with this bike you may end up loving it. My advise is go to the dealer and demo one. Goodluck with your decision

DC1503
05-31-2015, 11:18 AM
I would like to retract the statement that I will not buy another Harley. Who knows the future. Harley may develop and design a water cooled smooth balance bagger. Right now, in may life I'm looking at the F6B, seems like it could be the right bike for me at this time. I enjoyed the 20 years I rode Harleys, fun time in my life. As I get older things change,

Greg i'm right there with you. Very situation I'm in, minus the back issues. coming off of several Harley's, last one a 2013 ultra. great bike, except, never could get comfortable on it. I'm only 43, but I guess the need for the Harley name has left me. The F6B is a great looking bike, more importantly, I think the bike would just fit me better. I'm here to find out all I can before I buy one. Great info on this forum. The search function is your friend.

flat6bagger
05-31-2015, 11:27 AM
I can tell you that I have scoliosis and a little arthritis in my lower back.
I have had Ultra Classics,Royal Star Ventures,Moto Guzzis,etc.
NONE and I mean NONE,have given me the comfort that this F6B has.
The only thing that I have to do is buy highway foot rests.
I need to have the option to stretch my legs.
I am going to order them today if I could just make up my mind.
Rivcos are out.
Too much money and legs are too close to the heat coming off the engine.

Doug

unsub
05-31-2015, 02:09 PM
I'll help you.

-I don't know the exact model, but it had half the alphabet in it,

-he fell in love with the 40th anniversary edition of the GL1800 in two tone black and red.

+100
Alphabet soup.lol
I like the 40th too.

tozco
05-31-2015, 03:35 PM
The F6b does have a plush ride when the rear spring preload is set on the low side. That's the ticket for back pain, don't forget posture and stretching and exercise, etc.
But I'm with Brian D. regarding long term ownership, just not loving the Honda experience. I've been riding non stop since the seventies. I just prefer a more mechanical, less refined machine.

Greg O
05-31-2015, 04:44 PM
I'm going to try to test ride one next week. Now if I decide to buy what year to buy. I know I would want the deluxe in Black. The new 2013's are a steel, but the cruise is a must for me and the new exhaust tone from the 2015 sounds like a big difference from the 2013 from what I've read on here.

ths61
05-31-2015, 05:15 PM
I'm going to try to test ride one next week. Now if I decide to buy what year to buy. I know I would want the deluxe in Black. The new 2013's are a steel, but the cruise is a must for me and the new exhaust tone from the 2015 sounds like a big difference from the 2013 from what I've read on here.

2013 & 2014 come in black, 2015 will have to be painted black.

Only 2015's have OEM cruise.

Greg O
05-31-2015, 05:21 PM
Can you put factory cruise on a 13 or 14.

ths61
05-31-2015, 05:23 PM
Can you put factory cruise on a 13 or 14.

Not that I am aware of. The choices are throttle locks or -------- for '13 and '14.

bobbyf6b
05-31-2015, 05:32 PM
If you want a deal, buy a 2013/14. If you want the latest and greatest, buy a 15. IMO it's worth the money. I paid full price for my 13 model two years ago. If I was in a position to trade up for a 15 I would in a heartbeat. (I'm still upside down on mine because of my trade in)

flat6bagger
05-31-2015, 06:05 PM
I was told a few days ago a dealer can adapt a cruise control to a 13-14,but it is about $1200.00 to do so.
I have not verified this as I would not pay that for cruise.

Doug

Greg O
05-31-2015, 06:21 PM
Seems pricey to me. May have to get a throttle lock, I had one on my Fatboy years ago. Why doesn't Honda make kits, like stereo upgrades, nav, cruise, all factory stuff. That's what Harley does.

ths61
05-31-2015, 06:23 PM
I was told a few days ago a dealer can adapt a cruise control to a 13-14,but it is about $1200.00 to do so.
I have not verified this as I would not pay that for cruise.

Doug

If that includes labor, that appears cheaper than the --------.

Brian D
05-31-2015, 08:16 PM
Greg. I can't answer why Honda doesn't make kits for stereo etc. my advice would be find a left over 13-14 in black if that's the color you want. Coming from harley there is a chance you may not like this bike. I got addicted to the acceleration but after about 2months of ownership that quickly wore off for me and now I find myself not enjoying this bike. I would def not pay full price for a 15 just cause it has cruise. Honda royally screwed everyone who paid near msrp when these bikes weren't selling like they thought and then Honda dumped the price bye the end of this summer the 15s will drop in price also. I would hate for someone to make the mistake I made as well as others and pay full msrp and not like the bike. These f6bs do not hold there value anywhere close to a hd or a full wing. Choise wisely unless you have deep pockets. Just my 2cents. Also if your last bike was an ultra you may wanna consider a full wing

Redlinez
05-31-2015, 08:30 PM
I have had upper back pain issues for years now, I'm 43. I just bought this bike Saturday and it was starting to hurt an hour later. I also know it has been 5 1/2 years since I've ridden and my body has to get used to it. I think curvy roads are the best answer for me..... :icon_biggrin:

Greg O
05-31-2015, 08:31 PM
Greg. I can't answer why Honda doesn't make kits for stereo etc. my advice would be find a left over 13-14 in black if that's the color you want. Coming from harley there is a chance you may not like this bike. I got addicted to the acceleration but after about 2months of ownership that quickly wore off for me and now I find myself not enjoying this bike. I would def not pay full price for a 15 just cause it has cruise. Honda royally screwed everyone who paid near msrp when these bikes weren't selling like they thought and then Honda dumped the price bye the end of this summer the 15s will drop in price also. I would hate for someone to make the mistake I made as well as others and pay full msrp and not like the bike. These f6bs do not hold there value anywhere close to a hd or a full wing. Choise wisely unless you have deep pockets. Just my 2cents. Also if your last bike was an ultra you may wanna consider a full wing
My last bike was a 2008 Electra Glide Classic with a kick ass stereo, cruise, and detachable trunk, almost like a Street Glide. I thought the F6B would be a good replacement. I don't care a how the motor sounds anymore, I want a smooth running low maintenance reliable bike with some nice options. At 14 grand for a 2013 how can you go wrong. I now read heal toe shifters are causing transmission problems. I really want a heal toe shifter and floor boards.

stevenolts
05-31-2015, 09:40 PM
My new saying is: "ride it and you will believe". It is just the most fun bike I have ever ridden.
Steve

bigbird
05-31-2015, 10:06 PM
Just got back from a 250 km ride with my buddies, one of whom is the guy with the '13 Ultra Classic FLHXDBCSTC or whatever.
He called my bike "a black bullet train". He again commented that he should have bought a Goldwing for its creature comforts, performance, and reliability.

grendl
05-31-2015, 11:59 PM
I tell this story often,but I'll repeat to make my point. My bike was bought buy a guy that traded his HD for it.He kept it for a couple months then took it back and traded it for another HD. That afforded me a nice discount on my F6B,the Harley dealer didnt want it on his floor.
No accounting for taste,you takes your dimes and spend them how you want.
If you gave me a couple of Harleys I would keep one and buy another F6b with the money from the other.
It doesn't bother me a bit when guys come on and are negative,I think my F6B is the best bike all around that money can buy.
If I take it apart ,it's because I want to.I dont have to worry that something is going to come loose,or fail on a 1k run.All things equal,all I have to do is keep good oil in it,do nominal maintenance keep the gas tank full and ride !
The suspension was too soft for me at the lower levels ,but that may be what you need. Mine is set up a little harsh,but I can carve a corner with confidence and there is a lot of that here in Colorado.
If you miss the mystic (which has eluded me) of HD get it.
If you want monster acceleration for a bike this size,comfort for hundreds of miles,reputation for reliability and the sexiest thing on the road with two wheels-you wont regret the 'B'.
Did I mention I friggen LOVE this bike ?

srt8-in-largo
06-01-2015, 12:27 AM
Greg if you're a true motorcycle enthusiast, your experience is not complete until you've owned a GL1800. For the last 15 years this has been and still is the finest big bike on the planet, bar-none.

srt8-in-largo
06-01-2015, 12:31 AM

Ever see an '85 Honda Civic driven by a high school kid with a 4 inch fart can on the back of it? I bet he thinks his car is pretty exciting too, what with all the noise and bouncing around :icon_biggrin:

Greg O
06-01-2015, 01:49 AM
Ever see an '85 Honda Civic driven by a high school kid with a 4 inch fart can on the back of it? I bet he thinks his car is pretty exciting too, what with all the noise and bouncing around :icon_biggrin:
I used to have a 85 Accord not Civic. I bought it because my daughter was born, and my wife and I were starting our family. One of the best cars I ever owned.

Crazy Dave
06-01-2015, 02:50 AM
Been through Harleys, Roadstars (sweet) and the 'firm ride' that comes as a package. With 3 back surgeries, needed something much smoother. Enough sustained discomfort turns into pain. Human nature says most become a more tense, and that effects your reflexes, causes more fatigue from the pain of 'firm ride' it's less safe. Ride an F6B and the difference is beyond smooth..but different strokes....just my 2 cents..BICBR

53driver
06-01-2015, 07:10 AM
I want a smooth running low maintenance reliable bike with some nice options. At 14 grand for a 2013 how can you go wrong.
Bingo!

I now read heal toe shifters are causing transmission problems. I really want a heal toe shifter and floor boards.
HT shifter:
There has been lots of debate as to the cumulative effects of a heel-toe shifter on the transmission linkage.
Also, that Honda will deny warranty repairs to the tranny if the bike has an HT shifter.
Sloppy shifting, potentially exacerbated by the additional linkage of an HT shifter, is my hypothesis.
My '81 Wing had an HT shifter - 100,000 miles and no issues.

Floorboards:
My '95 FLSTN has HD accessory floorboards that are razor sharp on the underside.
Anytime you add stuff below your knee, (be it aftermarket or OEM), the bike's performance parameters are potentially adversely affected.
Many people have the "mini-floorboards" installed and this helps their Size 12 (or greater) boot manage the shifter better.
At a relatively diminutive Size 9 foot, I find the "pegs to controls" physical relationship just fine.

My "spirited riding" stylings will not permit floorboards or an HT shifter.
I thoroughly enjoy the positive control of the stock setup - but then again, I'm a professional pilot and a "controller."
My F6B and I just fit very well together.
If I need to stretch out on long rides, I have the retractable Aeropegs that will make an appearance.

Bottom line: Give the OEM setup a chance, ride the bike how you want, and then re-evaluate to see if your "post HD ownership desires" are still necessary, but better yet, make those assessments as an "F6B rider with some time in the saddle."
Cheers.

wylbur78
06-01-2015, 07:17 AM

I myself came from riding a new 2014 Street Glide with the Rushmore creature comforts, but I got tired of feeling worn out riding everyday from all the vibration and beatings from the road from the harsh ride at 2 1/4" suspension travel in the rear end vs almost 4 1/2" on the f6b. I do miss some of the creature comforts but I can deal without them and most of them I can put on the f6b if I really wanted to. I love the ride comfort and the performance of the f6b. I don't have to down shift to pass people unless I'm really wanting to haul ass. I look at the f6b like an oversized sport bike. It handles great and rides even better, I do wish it had more of a lean angle to it though. I scrape pegs everywhere I go. That's my take on it. I bought mine in late March and just rolled 7000 miles this morning.

ths61
06-01-2015, 12:49 PM
... I do wish it had more of a lean angle to it though. I scrape pegs everywhere I go. ....

FWIW, I have read people have raised the front 3/4" and rear by 1" with new suspensions for more ground clearance, but also need longer kick stands.

I never understood lowering a bike's suspension or slamming a truck's suspension, both seem to defeat the vehicle's purpose.

racer
06-01-2015, 02:06 PM
Seems pricey to me. May have to get a throttle lock, I had one on my Fatboy years ago. Why doesn't Honda make kits, like stereo upgrades, nav, cruise, all factory stuff. That's what Harley does.

The 2015 F6B has cruise and reverse.

If you add that other stuff, it becomes the full wing. Might as well buy the full wing in the first place. Most buy the F6B BECAUSE it is a scaled back wing.

RLatt
06-01-2015, 02:16 PM
The 2015 F6B has cruise and reverse.

If you add that other stuff, it becomes the full wing. Might as well buy the full wing in the first place. Most buy the F6B BECAUSE it is a scaled back wing.

The 2015 F6B does not have reverse....at least in the USA it doesn't.

racer
06-01-2015, 02:19 PM

Shows how opinions can vary. I guess excitement must be measured in a very different way than speed and performance. :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

Even the mighty CVO couldn't match the F6B in performance and comfort...

http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/04/22/harley-davidson-cvo-road-glide-vs-honda-gold-wing-f6b-deluxe-comparison-test/

One of those aforementioned exceptions is the CVO’s passenger seat, which Rosanne was unable to tolerate for more than an hour or so. “After that,” she said,
“I was in sheer, agonizing pain.”

The F6B’s silky-smooth engine, fabulous seats, compliant suspension and faultless ergonomics made both rider and passenger feel like they truly were in the lap of luxury. I never squirmed in the very least atop the Honda’s saddle, and Rosanne—who has logged countless miles on many different bikes as my co-pilot—said the passenger compartment was the most comfortable she had ever experienced. “Everything was ideal,” she noted, “the seat shape, the backrest location, the footpeg placement. I could have ridden back there forever.”

Oh, and guess what happens when you are out on the road somewhere and the battery in your fob goes dead? You'll be wishing you had a key.

racer
06-01-2015, 02:24 PM
The 2015 F6B does not have reverse....at least in the USA it doesn't.
I stand corrected. They added cruise control and not reverse.

srt8-in-largo
06-01-2015, 02:41 PM
The Euro F6 has reverse... but does not have fog light connectors. Go figure.

shooter
06-01-2015, 02:53 PM
Shows how opinions can vary. I guess excitement must be measured in a very different way than speed and performance. :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

Even the mighty CVO couldn't match the F6B in performance and comfort...

http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/04/22/harley-davidson-cvo-road-glide-vs-honda-gold-wing-f6b-deluxe-comparison-test/

Oh, and guess what happens when you are out on the road somewhere and the battery in your fob goes dead? You'll be wishing you had a key.

Yeah I love it. Its faster , its smoother , it out handles it , it costs less than half as much , but for me there was no excitement. Hell I was excited when they said it was faster!

blackmetoc
06-01-2015, 03:33 PM
I said goodbye to back pain, and hello to shoulder pain, and cramped legs and feet. No single bike can do it all.
You got to get out there and try it. The big Honda is worlds more refined than the Harley.
The Highway pegs help w/ the cramped legs. I just had knee surgery and they allow me to stretch out and bend and extend as I need to.

chipmaker
06-01-2015, 04:27 PM

Total BS

Greg O
06-01-2015, 08:22 PM
Found a dealer about an hour and a half from me that will let me take his personal bike 2013 (F6B) out for a couple of hours on Saturday.

stroguy
06-01-2015, 08:36 PM
Can't beat that. We will be waiting for the report.

srt8-in-largo
06-01-2015, 08:37 PM
You're in for a gem of an experience.

Hopefully it's stock, or close to it. A car tire or aftermarket pipes obviously changes things.

ths61
06-01-2015, 09:11 PM
Found a dealer about an hour and a half from me that will let me take his personal bike 2013 (F6B) out for a couple of hours on Saturday.

That should give you the information you need to make an informed decision for your personal requirements. Enjoy.

srt8-in-largo
06-01-2015, 09:32 PM
I bought mine without riding it first. I just *KNEW* :icon_biggrin:

shooter
06-01-2015, 10:11 PM
Don't be so smug George. I "knew" too. Its a Honda. Someone probably had to tell Stro.

srt8-in-largo
06-01-2015, 10:55 PM
:crackup:

flat6bagger
06-02-2015, 06:33 AM
I wish he would have had that offer a couple of weeks ago.
I would not have read the Harley loving,F6B bashing comments within this thread and not had to go off on a rant about it.
I was so upset,I couldn't eat for a couple of hours.:icon_lol:

Doug

shooter
06-02-2015, 06:38 AM
I know what you mean Doug. I started to not eat that piece of pie for dessert last night. Luckily cooler heads prevailed.

flat6bagger
06-02-2015, 06:44 AM
I know what you mean Doug. I started to not eat that piece of pie for dessert last night. Luckily cooler heads prevailed.

Exactly! :lolup:

Doug

racer
06-02-2015, 01:39 PM
Total BS

Wrong. I have seen it personally. Saw it May 23rd. FOB battery died, he came home on a trailer. They tried the "PIN" , didn't work.

http://www.cyclefish.com/forum/Harley-Davidson/The-Garage/Harley-Davidson-Security-Alarm---Setting-PIN-Override-2762-1.html

I wanted to remind everyone how important it is to set the manual PIN override for your Harley Davidson alarm system.

With the newer HD Security Systems using proximity FOBs where the key FOB needs to be close to the bike to start, this is now more important then ever. If the battery in your FOB dies and you have not set your Harley Alram Override PIN Code, you will not be starting your bike. It is just as important for those with oler Harley Davidsons with the push button alarm FOB. It you set your alarm and the battery dies before you return to your bike, again you will not be starting the bike.

http://www.harley-davidsonforums.com/forums/touring-general-discussions/25331-dead-security-fob-battery.html

srt8-in-largo
06-02-2015, 02:07 PM
Interesting posts on those links. Doesn't sound like a well thought out or a well made system.

Keyfobs use EXACTLY the same wireless transmission technology as TPMS in your tires. The batteries in those things can EASILY be made to last 5 to 10 years; I didn't read too deeply but if these guys are having dead batteries after only a year or two... that's just not cool.

racer
06-02-2015, 02:09 PM
And it is typically not an issue if you set a PIN and remember it correctly if the FOB dies.

But if you don't... :icon_doh:

chipmaker
06-02-2015, 02:21 PM
So you will blame the bike for a stupid rider? Like I said, BS, my PIN is set...

And quoting a 6 year old post, too funny...

Brian D
06-02-2015, 02:41 PM
Interesting posts on those links. Doesn't sound like a well thought out or a well made system.

Keyfobs use EXACTLY the same wireless transmission technology as TPMS in your tires. The batteries in those things can EASILY be made to last 5 to 10 years; I didn't read too deeply but if these guys are having dead batteries after only a year or two... that's just not cool.

Those batteries are made to last BUT so I've been told that if those fobs hang around your cell phone they can pre mature die. My Camry has push button start with a wireless fob and so does my wife's altima. I have had to change the batteries a few times

BuzzzPhotos
06-02-2015, 03:49 PM

I wore shorts yesterday but the pavement wasn't hot. The most heat comes up from blacktop or cement. Would take a miracle design change to get me back on a Harley.

tozco
06-02-2015, 05:47 PM
Shorts on a motorcycle?

flat6bagger
06-02-2015, 05:57 PM
Shorts on a motorcycle?

I was wondering about that same exact thing.
I don't even do that when I am riding in our small town.

Doug

ths61
06-02-2015, 06:00 PM
I was wondering about that same exact thing.
I don't even do that when I am riding in our small town.

Doug

I was up at 3 Rivers for a few day trip when I saw a guy roll up on a wing wearing shorts, t-shirt and flip flops. Might as well been riding barefoot. For some reason, ground beef came to mind. :shock:

opas ride
06-02-2015, 06:35 PM
I wore shorts yesterday but the pavement wasn't hot. The most heat comes up from blacktop or cement. Would take a miracle design change to get me back on a Harley.

Your just asking for a good case of pavement rash my friend riding a large motorcycle with shorts on....A few years back I got stung by a bee right in my crotch riding with shorts, and as I am allergic to bee-stings, I almost did not make it home...If you want to hear some other negative reasons, ask those that work in Emergency rooms in hospitals...My son-in-law, who also rides, is a Supervisor in an Emergency room in Oklahoma and he will be more than willing to share his horror stories with you....Please be careful and ride safe.....

srt8-in-largo
06-02-2015, 07:31 PM
Those batteries are made to last BUT so I've been told that if those fobs hang around your cell phone they can pre mature die. My Camry has push button start with a wireless fob and so does my wife's altima. I have had to change the batteries a few times

Idk about that Brian; you'd have to explain that one to me.

The batteries are what they are from the battery vendor. The problem as I see it with key fobs or TPMS sensors that don't last long is either they cheaped out and are using low mAhr batteries, or they designed the form factor too small to use the *slightly* larger high mAhr batteries. The 25 mm coin cells can now be had in 1,000 mAhr versions; look up the part number on your battery and find the spec for it. If Toyota or Nissan are using lesser batteries, they didn't do you any favors.

Battery rating is only half of the equation; power draw of the circuit is the other half. These circuits spend most of their time in sleep mode in which case the current draw should be well down into the single digit microAmp range for an IC using modern technology. A 1,000 mAhr battery could drive this usage continually for literally 20 or 30 years. The big power draw occurs during signal transmission where current draw can jump to 50 to 200 milliAmp, again depending on the technology of the IC's.

So, for the battery in a fob to get drained prematurely, it must be transmitting quite frequently. The transmissions can ONLY occur in one of three ways: 1) the software is programmed to transmit at a fixed interval; as in the case of TPMS sensors, 2) a standard 125 kHz low frequency comm device has been incorporated and it received a transmission instruction from a diagnostic tool; as in the case of what shops use to test TPMS, or 3) a button is pressed; as in the case of most key fobs.

There's nothing a cell phone can do to cause a key fob to transmit, other than pressing against a button in your pocket. Cell phones transmit in the GHz range and there's no POSSIBLE way to interfere with the 125 kHz circuit... and even if it did, there are safeguards in the software to minimize interference; certain signal patterns have to be recognized before a device will accept an instruction as valid, otherwise the signal and instruction are ignored.

srt8-in-largo
06-02-2015, 07:48 PM
In the case of these Harley alarm fobs, since no interaction is needed, it seems to me that Harley designed them to transmit continually at fixed intervals like a TPMS sensor. Further, if this is the case, they would have to program the intervals to be SMALL; I mean who wants to sit on their bike for 5 minutes waiting for the next transmission.

The interval is probably 5 or 10 seconds... and unless they're using a big honkin battery, this will indeed drain one in a short while; 6 months to 2 years is not unreasonable. This is what I mean when I said it might be a poor design. If they just put a button on it the darn thing could easily last 10 years between battery changes.

I'm not making a statement about Harley, per se; I'm just making a conjectured observation.

shooter
06-02-2015, 07:58 PM
Oh no. Another TPMS thread!!!

srt8-in-largo
06-02-2015, 09:36 PM
Gawd Shooter, you're such a thread jacker.

So Greg, let us know when we can officially welcome you aboard :icon_mrgreen:

shooter
06-02-2015, 10:03 PM
Seriously , nice of the dealership guy to offer his bike for a ride. They won't do that around here. Bought the 9 and the B without ever riding one. They have s Can Am demo next week but I'll be gone.

gmorstad
06-02-2015, 10:48 PM

So, I hate to be a spoil sport but I think I have some pertinent information for you. I replaced my ST1300 with the F6b about two months ago because the ST was hurting my hips and knees. It did not however give me any spine problems. After several rides over 100 miles on the F6B I found that it is bothering my spine and not my hips. I am sure my spine is bothered because of the seating position and my spine taking all the bumps when the jarring to my body was spread out on the ST. I have been told by Goldwing riders that a back rest is crucial though I don't have one yet. I am researching seats (Mustang, Ultimate, Corbin) hoping for more lower back support. The stock seat has none, in fact I find myself typically sitting in such a position that the top of my butt is pushing against the slant at the back of the seat causing discomfort there as well.

Because of these issues I put the F6b up for sale one month after buying it but have since reconsidered and took the add down. I am still trying to sell my ST1300 that is in beautiful condition. I have found the F6B to be the best motorcycle I have ever ridden. Now I have to cure my back issue with a new seat and back rest or I may have two motorcycles for sale. I am 60 years old and if I can't get the F6B to work I am done riding.

srt8-in-largo
06-02-2015, 10:52 PM
I had no idea G; Hope you find a solution.

Seriously , nice of the dealership guy to offer his bike for a ride. They won't do that around here. Bought the 9 and the B without ever riding one. They have s Can Am demo next week but I'll be gone.

Don't pretend to be on topic now, it's too late.

:icon_mrgreen:

Greg O
06-03-2015, 12:15 PM
Well I did it I put a $500.00 deposit on a Black 2013 F6B standard, but it won't come in until the end of the month.

racer
06-03-2015, 12:40 PM
So you will blame the bike for a stupid rider? Like I said, BS, my PIN is set...

And quoting a 6 year old post, too funny...

yup. like there aren't any 6 year old harleys.... you DO know harleys last a bit longer than that, don't you?

do your own research. This will get you started.

http://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1047681-key-fob-battery-change-frequency.html

http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/electrical-wiring-lighting/186267-replacing-bad-tssm-02-flhr.html

And to Greg- CONGRATS! You won't be disappointed.

DC1503
06-03-2015, 01:08 PM
Well I did it I put a $500.00 deposit on a Black 2013 F6B standard, but it won't come in until the end of the month.

Big congrats !

srt8-in-largo
06-03-2015, 01:16 PM
Welcome to the legend known as... GL1800!

:banana:

flat6bagger
06-03-2015, 01:18 PM
Way to go Greg O!
Congrats and I hope you enjoy every mile.

Doug

hiflyer
06-03-2015, 01:24 PM
So, I hate to be a spoil sport but I think I have some pertinent information for you. I replaced my ST1300 with the F6b about two months ago because the ST was hurting my hips and knees. It did not however give me any spine problems. After several rides over 100 miles on the F6B I found that it is bothering my spine and not my hips. I am sure my spine is bothered because of the seating position and my spine taking all the bumps when the jarring to my body was spread out on the ST. I have been told by Goldwing riders that a back rest is crucial though I don't have one yet. I am researching seats (Mustang, Ultimate, Corbin) hoping for more lower back support. The stock seat has none, in fact I find myself typically sitting in such a position that the top of my butt is pushing against the slant at the back of the seat causing discomfort there as well.

Because of these issues I put the F6b up for sale one month after buying it but have since reconsidered and took the add down. I am still trying to sell my ST1300 that is in beautiful condition. I have found the F6B to be the best motorcycle I have ever ridden. Now I have to cure my back issue with a new seat and back rest or I may have two motorcycles for sale. I am 60 years old and if I can't get the F6B to work I am done riding.

You can get it right, I'm 58, had back surgery and have mine set up to where it doesn't bother my back at all. This is the best bike I have ever owned for a number of reasons. Good luck.

stroguy
06-03-2015, 01:41 PM
Excellent deposit. Pics when she arrives.

ths61
06-03-2015, 01:44 PM

Congrats. Did you take your dealer up on the test ride ?

Greg O
06-03-2015, 05:52 PM
Congrats. Did you take your dealer up on the test ride ?

Hopefully Saturday, the dealer I am buying the bike from is not the same dealer that offered me the test ride offer.

Vondawg
06-03-2015, 06:38 PM
Hopefully Saturday, the dealer I am buying the bike from is not the same dealer that offered me the test ride offer.

After awhile therei was beginning to wonder if "convince me" was real....but CONGRATULATIONS
I like many love this bike for so many reasons you'll soon agree.

shooter
06-03-2015, 07:36 PM
Congrats Greg. You're a smart man. You bought the fastest color. Research pays off.

mrhatch
06-03-2015, 08:09 PM
All,

I have owned my F6B for a little more than a month and have almost 1,500 miles on it. I have ridden many bikes, from an old Sears and Roebuck, several harleys and more honda's all of them have their goods and bads. I have liked everything about this forum but this BS bashing is just juvenile and when I looked at the age survey I thought we were all adults and above this.

+2 Cents

SheRider
06-06-2015, 08:55 AM
The only convincing you need is a test drive!

srt8-in-largo
06-06-2015, 01:06 PM
The only convincing you need is a test drive!

No that's a good first post, or third! Welcome aboard.

53driver
06-06-2015, 04:02 PM
Well? It's Saturday......

shooter
06-06-2015, 04:24 PM
Was today the test ride? Maybe he's still riding. Probably liked it so much he didn't take it back.