PDA

View Full Version : Picked up my new bike yesterday...how not to pull a trailer.

okiedoc
05-31-2015, 08:30 AM
Went to the dealership and picked up my 2015 Matte Silver F6B with the Blade trailer hooked up and ready to go. First impressions were, I love the paint color and man that trailer tongue is long. Took it for a quick spin and was impressed with the exhaust, I rode a 2014 last week and mine is noticeably throatier. Going to have to get some Heli-bars, I,m 6'2", seat was very comfortable for a stock seat. The dealership installed a tall Honda windshield, has a rainbow quality to it riding into the sun, I like the vent on it. They also installed the receiver hitch for the trailer. Went back to the dealership and finished the paperwork and headed for home, almost 90 miles to my driveway. The bike pulls the trailer without any hesitation or complaint hardly knew it was back there. Until I crossed the railroad tracks 10 miles from the house, the ball popped out of the hitch and the trailer rammed my l left tailpipe. I hammered the throttle because one chain had pulled out and the tongue was heading to the left. When I did, the tongue shot the other direction and bent the hook on the chain and my new trailer disappeared behind a building. I circled the block and found that the nut had not been properly torqued and fell off. The ball was still in the trailer coupler. There is damage to the trailer, luckily no other property or anyone damaged. Contacted the dealership and they will repair the trailer, it is only cosmetic. Very eventful first ride and I am so excited to have more adventures on my F6B!

Travelor
05-31-2015, 09:25 AM
I only have a bit over 10,000 miles with a trailer, but here's a thought for you on the trailer ball - after you get it re-installed use a small amount of grease spread over the ball. Reese makes a grease specifically for this, I think Amazon carries it. Wipe it off after each use, otherwise the dirt from the road will accumulate and start to act like a grinding paste. Happy trailering.

jm21ddd15
05-31-2015, 09:36 AM
Glad you didn't go down, or have much damage. Welcome to the F6 Group! Quite sure you will be a totally satisfied owner.:yes:

flat6bagger
05-31-2015, 09:40 AM
They will repair the trailer,that's good,but what about the exhaust that got hit.
That should be taken care of also at no charge.
Or did it no sustain any damage.

Doug

okiedoc
05-31-2015, 01:20 PM
There is a small speck of paint that came off the end of the baffle, you wouldn't notice it unless you were looking for it. I'm thinking Cobra exhaust anyway so I'm not worried about it. The bike handled the trailer tugging around on it really well. I'm going to replace the hooks on the safety chains with something more substantial, they both were pulled straight. I don't know if they crossed the chains at the dealership when they hooked it up, they should have. They should have also tightened up the nut, I'm sure the tech will always check it in the future. Got to find a body shop and I'm thinking about painting the lid matte silver and leaving the rest black, or changing the bottom of the trailer to matte black.

Fla_rider
05-31-2015, 01:22 PM
:postpics:

Redlinez
05-31-2015, 02:07 PM
Congrats, and that sucks. Glad you're ok and not too much damage. Also glad they're taking care of it.

MAYHEM01
05-31-2015, 02:19 PM
Congrats on the new bike. it could have been worse so glad to hear it was not a lot of damage to the bike or other property

naga viper
05-31-2015, 04:08 PM
Congrats on new bike luckily no injury's.
This here is the reason I would and never will let anyone work on any of my vehicles.
And at the STEALERSHIP no less I would have a call into mother Honda!

okiedoc
05-31-2015, 04:34 PM
I'll try the grease, and get pictures posted in the morning when I get to my work computer. Took a quick spin just a while ago and I think it got louder since yesterday. Is that possible? Loving the sound, the tunes and the bike. Thanks for all the comments.

ths61
05-31-2015, 04:59 PM
Glad to hear you are OK. That could have ended differently than it did.

okiedoc
06-01-2015, 09:21 AM
14305At the dealership

okiedoc
06-01-2015, 09:24 AM
1430614307The wall and the result.

Fla_rider
06-01-2015, 08:37 PM
Is the pic of the trailer and bike have the trailer on the hitch? Front end of trailer looks low?

okiedoc
06-02-2015, 09:30 PM
The trailer is on the bike, it may just be the angle I took the picture.

Redlinez
06-03-2015, 09:25 AM
Did you have to add and buy the vent for that windshield? If so, how much did that run if you don't mind me asking? I already know I'm getting a larger windshield and was recommended a vented one.

okiedoc
06-03-2015, 09:59 AM
The windshield is a Hondaline accessory, I really like the vent. Not sure of the price but I think the catalog said around $150. They knocked some off because I bought the bike and a trailer.
I was noticing that when I put on my brakes the left blinker would light up. I was looking at the receiver hitch and the wires were run between the hitch and the tire and the tire was rubbing on the wires. Rerouted the wires and put a splice on the two that were exposed and everything works fine now. One screw up I can kinda overlook but two becomes a pattern. I'm going to have to talk to the owner at the dealership, about the tech that installed the hitch.

Redlinez
06-03-2015, 12:06 PM
Just wondering if the vent came with the shield. The catalog makes it sound like it doesn't. You should talk to the service manager first if you haven't already. That's pretty shoddy workmanship, not to mention it could have been much worse.

ghostrider
06-03-2015, 12:20 PM
As a virgin trailer tower I was leery about the safety of towing a trailer. The Bushtec trailer I bought recently tows like it’s not even there but I understand if something goes mechanically wrong it could be catastrophic. Once you add a trailer to a bike you have a lot more moving parts to be concerned with. You can’t check all your connections and hook ups TOO many times before a trip and during.

This event is someone’s worst nightmare when towing a trailer. And to think it’s neglect from a professional dealership! I’d be going back to that place raising hell and demanding sh!t and getting everything fixed like new. (You might even mention the sue word). It’s a pretty serious mistake on their part and they need to learn from it. I think it’s very lucky the bike and the trailer were not both totaled, not to mention your safety.

You might also be looking at that hitch installation real close too. This is why I try to do most of my own work. That way I ”know it” and I understand it.

Just my two cents.

okiedoc
06-03-2015, 02:12 PM
I am pretty sure the vent comes with the shield, but they installed it so I don't know for sure.

Thanks for the advice, I was inspecting the hitch installation when I discovered the wiring issue. Everything was good and snug, I don't know if the guy just wanted to get home or was hung over but I am going to be having a talk at the dealership.

ghostrider
06-03-2015, 03:01 PM
I am pretty sure the vent comes with the shield, but they installed it so I don't know for sure.

Thanks for the advice, I was inspecting the hitch installation when I discovered the wiring issue. Everything was good and snug, I don't know if the guy just wanted to get home or was hung over but I am going to be having a talk at the dealership.

Thanks for your story and pics. To me this is such a crazy and wild story. The fact that it happened on a brand new bike with a brand new trailer, installed by the dealer.

Somehow the Bruce Jenner thread attracts more attention and how the world is doomed because of it. :stirthepot:

Doug44
06-03-2015, 07:05 PM
Just wondering if the vent came with the shield. The catalog makes it sound like it doesn't. You should talk to the service manager first if you haven't already. That's pretty shoddy workmanship, not to mention it could have been much worse.

I have the 13" Cee Bailey shield with the vent and love it

okiedoc
06-04-2015, 09:14 PM
Went to the body shop today to get a quote on fixing the trailer and they said they could paint it to match my bike for not a lot more money. Maybe it was worth crashing my tailer to get it in a matching color.

hiflyer
06-04-2015, 09:21 PM
Went to the body shop today to get a quote on fixing the trailer and they said they could paint it to match my bike for not a lot more money. Maybe it was worth crashing my tailer to get it in a matching color.

Paint it to match the bike. That will look good!

okiedoc
06-04-2015, 10:42 PM
Definitely going with the matching paint. :yes:

ghostrider
06-05-2015, 07:26 AM
That reminds me! I need to talk to my insurance guy about adding my trailer. :yikes:

I think that trailer would look good in matt black matching the bike. :clap2:

jaygollner
06-05-2015, 07:30 AM
The vent comes preinstalled on the wind screen.