PDA

View Full Version : Just bought Helibar

wantone
05-31-2015, 10:06 AM
I just made a payment for helibars to Keith @ glowing werks. Man I hope they are comfortable and work for me. I need some serious pullback and better wrist angle. Being a short rider I definitely need some pullback. I told my dealer it shud take 2 hrs to finish the Job and he said fine.

I really hope Honda comes with reverse next yr here in US.

opas ride
05-31-2015, 12:02 PM
This bike does not need a reverse...It just adds weight and weight reduction was one of the objectives Honda was trying to achieve...Just be careful where you park and all will be well.....Ride safe...

okiedoc
05-31-2015, 01:25 PM
I have to say that i was surprised how easy this bike is to back up. My ST 1300 is a bear to back up compared to the F6B but the ST's seat is higher. Reverse would be a great option for riders that may need it but I would rather it be an option. Hoping to get a set of HeliBars myself.

Bryster
05-31-2015, 06:21 PM
Wantone,

Be interested in observations on the bars, do they always raise or can you get at roughly the same height and simply alter the angle of the bars forward?

Jimmytee
05-31-2015, 09:09 PM
Wantone,

Be interested in observations on the bars, do they always raise or can you get at roughly the same height and simply alter the angle of the bars forward?

Answer is yes, you should be able to find just about any position you that will work for you. You could even have them forward for more of a sport bike feel if you wanted.

stroguy
05-31-2015, 10:41 PM
I would take a reverse. My driveway has just enough angle and a flood lip to make it impossible to foot it there. How much would reverse add? What components make the reverse? A GW guy told me the starter goes reverse polarity. Is that a truism?

shooter
05-31-2015, 11:50 PM
Stro it has something to do with the starter , I know that much. Your buddy is probably right.

srt8-in-largo
06-01-2015, 12:35 AM
Congrats W. I'm wanting to go there to but I'm trying some risers first.

Stro, I think you guys are right about the starter and reverse. I'd love to see someone break ground on this :clap2:

53driver
06-01-2015, 06:36 AM
I would take a reverse. My driveway has just enough angle and a flood lip to make it impossible to foot it there. How much would reverse add? What components make the reverse? A GW guy told me the starter goes reverse polarity. Is that a truism?

I don't know the mechanics, but the procedural aspect is turn ignition on, move switch to Reverse, engage engine starter and bike moves backwards.
It would make sense that the bike would be in First Gear gear, but I wasn't paying that much attention.

srt8-in-largo
06-01-2015, 08:34 AM
I'v only seen a Winger use reverse once, and it's a strange process to behold. There's no engine rev at all; just the purr of some poor little electric motor trying to move 900 lbs of motorcycle :icon_biggrin:

stroguy
06-01-2015, 02:57 PM
I just don't see a reverse adding more weight. I found on the Wing you go to neutral, Flickr da switch to reverse, and press the starter. Sounds like you just need the switch, wiring and an odd or end black thingymajob. Probably not installed because of the bagger persona of the F6B.

Back on subject for the OP....Helibars. Sorry.

Old Ryder
06-01-2015, 03:14 PM
Still searching for the perfect setup for me and the Helis. To get them where I want them, I have a hard time getting the angle where I want it. :banghead:

53driver
06-01-2015, 03:21 PM
Still searching for the perfect setup for me and the Helis. To get them where I want them, I have a hard time getting the angle where I want it. :banghead:

Okay...with Heli's, that's saying a lot. I sat and got the full demo at Daytona...if you can't make these work, I do not know what to say.
Good luck!

Old Ryder
06-01-2015, 03:49 PM
Okay...with Heli's, that's saying a lot. I sat and got the full demo at Daytona...if you can't make these work, I do not know what to say.
Good luck!

To get them as far back as I want, the rotation has them a bit too low. When I rotate them upwards for the perfect height, they move forward, too. Had I mounted them on my risers that I had already installed, they would be perfect. Still the best thing out there---but it is a search in progres.

53driver
06-01-2015, 04:12 PM
To get them as far back as I want, the rotation has them a bit too low. When I rotate them upwards for the perfect height, they move forward, too. Had I mounted them on my risers that I had already installed, they would be perfect. Still the best thing out there---but it is a search in progres.

Can you reinstall the risers? Is that possible with those?
Again....best of luck!

Jimmytee
06-01-2015, 05:05 PM
Helibars will tell you no on installation of risers. Say they're not needed. I didn't need them as I found what seems to be my perfect fit. However, I don't see why you couldn't use risers if you had a mind to.:shrug:

Old Ryder
06-01-2015, 05:37 PM
Can you reinstall the risers? Is that possible with those?
Again....best of luck!

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?6005-Rocky-s-Risers-for-sale

Yea--well George would be upset as I have already spent his money :icon_biggrin: Shipped them out today. Seriously---as I stated they are a great item---but not perfect--not for me anyway.

Hornblower
06-01-2015, 06:09 PM

Ultimate Mid-Rider seat would move you forward just a bit. Maybe that would be a possible solution. What's another few hundred at this point :icon_rolleyes:

Old Ryder
06-01-2015, 06:25 PM
Ultimate Mid-Rider seat would move you forward just a bit. Maybe that would be a possible solution. What's another few hundred at this point :icon_rolleyes:

LOL!!! Just installed Ultimate King Rider last week to move me back a ways. I need shorter legs or longer arms. Again, it is a work in progress.

srt8-in-largo
06-01-2015, 07:08 PM
http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?6005-Rocky-s-Risers-for-sale

Yea--well George would be upset as I have already spent his money :icon_biggrin: Shipped them out today. Seriously---as I stated they are a great item---but not perfect--not for me anyway.

Hey Andrew I'll sell them back to you for a small fee :crackup:

J/k of course.

I have both your Rocky's and also the MBL risers coming for testing. I'm sure I'll be happy with either of these. If you want me to put the Rocky's back in the mail, just let me know; seriously, no issues.

wantone
06-01-2015, 07:36 PM
Helibars will tell you no on installation of risers. Say they're not needed. I didn't need them as I found what seems to be my perfect fit. However, I don't see why you couldn't use risers if you had a mind to.:shrug:

I'm really a short guy with short arms. I like this idea of using risers with helibars. I wud luv to get Ultimate midrider seat but will loose 1 inch by giving up on mustang. I read somewhere that Ultimate is narrower in the front and that helps for short guys. Is that right ?

Old Ryder
06-01-2015, 09:14 PM
Hey Andrew I'll sell them back to you for a small fee :crackup:

J/k of course.

I have both your Rocky's and also the MBL risers coming for testing. I'm sure I'll be happy with either of these. If you want me to put the Rocky's back in the mail, just let me know; seriously, no issues.

It's ok. The product is fine---- just not perfect for me. The B is a hard bike to get to fit me. The stock seat had me jammed to far forward, but the Rockys Risers had the bars fine. Then add the Mustang seat and I am farther back and lower which hurts with the knee angle not to mention that the risers don't bring the bars back enough with the Mustang seat. Kind of a clamshell riding position. So I get the Ultimate King seat which puts me back where my legs finally are not cramped with the Kury Mini Boards, and I sit higher. While it is not terribly high, now the bars are too far forward and to get them back to me, makes them kind of low since the King seat is higher. BTW-did I mention I am on my 3rd windshield, too?

Still love the bike, but making it fit me is very expensive. Sometimes it is a disadvantage being big.

ths61
06-01-2015, 09:19 PM
It's ok. The product is fine---- just not perfect for me. The B is a hard bike to get to fit me. The stock seat had me jammed to far forward, but the Rockys Risers had the bars fine. Then add the Mustang seat and I am farther back and lower which hurts with the knee angle not to mention that the risers don't bring the bars back enough with the Mustang seat. Kind of a clamshell riding position. So I get the Ultimate King seat which puts me back where my legs finally are not cramped with the Kury Mini Boards, and I sit higher. While it is not terribly high, now the bars are too far forward and to get them back to me, makes them kind of low since the King seat is higher. BTW-did I mention I am on my 3rd windshield, too?

Still love the bike, but making it fit me is very expensive. Sometimes it is a disadvantage being big.

:icon_biggrin:

srt8-in-largo
06-01-2015, 09:29 PM

I hear ya pal. I can tell you're a man with precise tastes :icon_biggrin:

I intend to try both risers (Rocky and MBL) and then re-sell on here whichever one I don't like best. If I end up re-listing the Rocky's, I'll at least give you first shot at them.

tozco
06-02-2015, 08:44 AM
It is strange how perfect the seat to bars felt in the showroom and on the two test rides I took. But anything over a few hundred miles and that nasty pain between the shoulder blades is on me. I plopped in a set of risers and there is an improvement, but not solved. What exactly is wrong to make the blade pain? Are the bars too narrow or to wide? I'm six foot and around 210. Don't get me started on how cramped this thing is around the cylinder heads. Size thirteen here.

Goldwing Werks
06-04-2015, 08:36 PM
I just made a payment for helibars to Keith @ glowing werks. Man I hope they are comfortable and work for me. I need some serious pullback and better wrist angle. Being a short rider I definitely need some pullback. I told my dealer it shud take 2 hrs to finish the Job and he said fine.

I really hope Honda comes with reverse next yr here in US.

Thanks for the order. Enjoy your new LST Heli Bars.

98valk
06-05-2015, 03:24 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
Helibars will tell you no on installation of risers. Say they're not needed. I didn't need them as I found what seems to be my perfect fit. However, I don't see why you couldn't use risers if you had a mind to.

I'm really a short guy with short arms. I like this idea of using risers with helibars. I wud luv to get Ultimate midrider seat but will loose 1 inch by giving up on mustang. I read somewhere that Ultimate is narrower in the front and that helps for short guys. Is that right ?

Hey Guys,
I just installed my helibars and kept my MBL wide risers on. I'm glad that I did.

I did some measuring of my modified bars (see old thread) and the new helibars. And without the MBL risers, they would have been too much the same - meaning not much benefit.

So, everything fit and I like having the extra height and extra pull back.

I'll give more comments after actually riding with them. Just wanted to let any new owner know right away about the risers.

Stats: Mustang seat, 5' 10" w/ long arms. Now maybe I can sit back far enough to use some of that Mustang seat backrest. :icon_biggrin:

srt8-in-largo
06-05-2015, 06:26 PM
So.... Andrew... sure you don't want the Rocky's back now? Send me a pm or they're goin on the bike tomorrow :icon_biggrin:

Mordred
06-05-2015, 06:33 PM
How much pullback do the Helibars give you before they're below stock height?

Old Ryder
06-05-2015, 07:30 PM
So.... Andrew... sure you don't want the Rocky's back now? Send me a pm or they're goin on the bike tomorrow :icon_biggrin:

Lol! Not right now. I took the front apart to install the Rockys--then again to adjust them--then again to install the Helibars. Not sure I want to tear it apart again. I am still adjusting, but it appears I am the only B owner not totally in love with the Helibars.

My concern is the cables and clutch/MC lines are going to be long enough as far back as I want/need them. Still thinking, George.

srt8-in-largo
06-05-2015, 08:33 PM
Lol! Not right now. I took the front apart to install the Rockys--then again to adjust them--then again to install the Helibars. Not sure I want to tear it apart again. I am still adjusting, but it appears I am the only B owner not totally in love with the Helibars.

My concern is the cables and clutch/MC lines are going to be long enough as far back as I want/need them. Still thinking, George.

Well... good thought about the cables but sounds like Valk in the post above was able to make them work with Heli's.

Tell ya what, I'll install my MBL risers tomorrow to try them out first... and will leave the Rocky's sitting on the table for now :icon_biggrin:

Brian D
06-06-2015, 04:37 AM
Wow after reading this thread. Makes me wonder about these bars. At 6ft3. I want the bars up and forward. I have the ultimate king seat and imo it doesn't sit me back enough. Having a real hard time getting comfy on this damn thing and I'm looking at close to 2grand for bars and a russle day long seat. I'm prob gonna ride the bike this summer and I'll be in a lot better financial shape with the amount owed by next spring. It's not like I don't ride it. I got 9200 on the clock and not even had it a year. I wish before I bought this I really considered seating position and were my feet was on the pegs. But I got sold on the performance. If I ride for more than 2-3hrs my neck and shoulders are killing me and my knees also from the angle to the pegs from the seat. I don't know how guys taller than me are riding this bike. I sat on 2beemers r1200rt and k1600gt and they feel good cause it seams like I was sitting up higher with less bend at the knees and the bars don't feel so close BUT Ive heard those bike are real pricey on maintenance. I got a real prob here. Don't know what to do. Any input on the beepers?

Brian D
06-06-2015, 04:38 AM
Damn auto correct. Any input on the beemers?

Jimmytee
06-06-2015, 05:39 AM
I feel for you tall guys. My F6B feels perfectly fit to me with my Corbin seat and Helibars. I'm only 5 '8" though.:icon_cool:

Again, at least for me, the pain up in ky neck, and shoulders was , I believe, more to do with the grip angle. This, regardless of height ot pull back, should be fully adjustable. I think that the way the stockbars are angled causes you to ride with the muscles in those area tensed up. It's sneaky, you don't realize you're doing it until thepain begins. With the Helibars, adjusting the grip angle so it is less "wheel barrel" like made all the difference.

Old Ryder
06-06-2015, 07:46 AM
Wow after reading this thread. Makes me wonder about these bars. At 6ft3. I want the bars up and forward. I have the ultimate king seat and imo it doesn't sit me back enough. Having a real hard time getting comfy on this damn thing and I'm looking at close to 2grand for bars and a russle day long seat. I'm prob gonna ride the bike this summer and I'll be in a lot better financial shape with the amount owed by next spring. It's not like I don't ride it. I got 9200 on the clock and not even had it a year. I wish before I bought this I really considered seating position and were my feet was on the pegs. But I got sold on the performance. If I ride for more than 2-3hrs my neck and shoulders are killing me and my knees also from the angle to the pegs from the seat. I don't know how guys taller than me are riding this bike. I sat on 2beemers r1200rt and k1600gt and they feel good cause it seams like I was sitting up higher with less bend at the knees and the bars don't feel so close BUT Ive heard those bike are real pricey on maintenance. I got a real prob here. Don't know what to do. Any input on the beepers?

Actually, I think it is more the bike fitment than the Helibar problem. The Valkyrie and the B are the same. For some reason (balance maybe?) they move the rider forward more than any large cruiser I have owned. Then because of the tranny shifter and wide engine the only option is to move the rider back. Compare that to my Victory where tou could move controls forward.

Then you get to my issues. The Mustang seat moved me back and down. Back was fine----down was not. The King Rider is fine--- finally got the legs in a good position with the drop down Kury mini boards, but my 35" arms are reaching without a "lean forward" riding position.

To summize this, it is a hard bike to get to fit FOR MY riding position. The CTX 1300 fit much better in stock configuration. I am convinced it will eventually fit after throwing enough money at it. As I stated, I am on my 3rd seat, 4th windshield and 2nd---soon to be 3rd set of risers once I add the risers back to the Helibars.

wantone
06-06-2015, 08:24 AM
Reading u guys experience I think I'll add my Heli bar on top of Rocky risers. What do you guys think of that. I'm really a very short rider.

tozco
06-06-2015, 02:08 PM
Did a 250 mile lunch run yesterday, which should be nothing on a bike like the F6b, but the neck shoulders and leg cramping were horrific. I can tell a few inches here or there are not going to fix the fact that the cylinder heads are where my legs want to be. The stock ergos are for some average size that isn't me. And I'm only six foot and 210 lbs.

98valk
06-07-2015, 09:40 PM
Reading u guys experience I think I'll add my Heli bar on top of Rocky risers. What do you guys think of that. I'm really a very short rider.

I just put on my helibars on top of my MBL wide risers. Surprisingly, everything fit.

The wiring was no problem. I was able to get enough extra slack. With the extensions, the hydraulic lines fit. I could have even pulled a bit more. The throttle cables are pretty tight. I don't know if any extra can be pulled from somewhere. Fortunately, they are working as is.

I don't know if the helibars will fit quite right if you have the rocky risers set to full width. If mine were any wider, I could have had trouble with that center cross bar fitting on the helibar risers.

I have plenty of up and back - probably too much. It is a nice change, though. It will be a while before I settle with the adjustments.

Madmax
06-08-2015, 08:39 AM
Did buyers on the forum get a discount on the Heli Kit ? I am consideering the Heli kit to get a little more adjustment out of my machine .
Anyone notice Heli tighten up the bars compared to stock bars ?
Reverse dose not add much more weight , its just your starter running backwords and a extra shaft and few gears ... I would not mind it .

98valk
06-08-2015, 10:08 AM
I got to thinking about this. It turns out that I am lucky that my helibars worked with the MBL wide risers. The helibar risers need to come back parallel to each other so that the cross bar mounts correctly.

This means the MBL narrow risers may not work well. And the Rocky risers will need to be adjusted so the helibar risers are parallel.

It's better to be lucky than good, sometimes.

srt8-in-largo
06-08-2015, 08:26 PM
Even with just the MBL risers, the handlebars are moved back enough such that the protective grommets on the hydraulic and electrical lines are no longer located where they need to be. 98, I hope you're taking care and won't have a line chafed through.

This picture shows my handlebars with the MBL's installed and grommets that have been repositioned. My biggest concern was the brake line on the right side. The protective grommet is originally at the location of the red arrow; it's hard to see but that arrow points to a crimped hose-end. The grommet is stuck on here pretty good, but prying with a screwdriver can free it up and allow you to move it so that it remains located at the metal clamp... thus maintaining protection on your brake line.

The grommet on the clutch line at the yellow arrow cannot be moved because the inner diameter is too small. However, the clutch line has some sort of thin rubber sleeve that is not present on the brake line. Hopefully this provides enough protection.

The electrical lines at the green arrows have grommets that are taped on. These are easily moved; just unwrap the tape and then reapply it.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-9cq6zS-09nQ/VXY99pCCE_I/AAAAAAAAC9Y/ErNBwgWUN5A/s800/DSC00751_zoom_arrows.JPG

98valk
06-09-2015, 10:45 AM
Even with just the MBL risers, the handlebars are moved back enough such that the protective grommets on the hydraulic and electrical lines are no longer located where they need to be. 98, I hope you're taking care and won't have a line chafed through.

This picture shows my handlebars with the MBL's installed and grommets that have been repositioned. My biggest concern was the brake line on the right side. The protective grommet is originally at the location of the red arrow; it's hard to see but that arrow points to a crimped hose-end. The grommet is stuck on here pretty good, but prying with a screwdriver can free it up and allow you to move it so that it remains located at the metal clamp... thus maintaining protection on your brake line.

The grommet on the clutch line at the yellow arrow cannot be moved because the inner diameter is too small. However, the clutch line has some sort of thin rubber sleeve that is not present on the brake line. Hopefully this provides enough protection.

The electrical lines at the green arrows have grommets that are taped on. These are easily moved; just unwrap the tape and then reapply it.

Very good points! I did not know that the grommets would move. So, I added hose line over the hydraulics and the wiring for protection (where the clamps are). I even added the hose line over the hydraulic lines where they run along the MBL risers, because I thought they seemed kinda sharp.

Thanks for the advice. :yes:

srt8-in-largo
06-09-2015, 01:38 PM
98, I know you didn't need to be told all that, but just wanted to throw it out there. I wanted to use hoses like you, but didn't have any on hand which prompted me to look closer at the grommets.

All in all, I bet the lines might be fine without grommets or hoses, but since Honda saw fit to use them I agree it makes sense to follow suit.

Diggin the analog clock btw!

BLACK DIAMOND
08-11-2015, 03:28 PM
98Valk, your set up is exactly what I think I might need. I have the same risers as you and I have the Ultimate King Deluxe seat. In the beginning, I thought for sure that I finally found the perfect combo for my comfort zone with just the risers, but after riding about 3k miles, I'm feeling myself still reaching out to my handlebars a bit causing me to have those pain on my shoulder blades. I've seen the video of the Helibars on Utube by the creater of the bars and It did look to me that the bars still would not pull back far enough for my comfort. Now, after reading this thread and seeing your post, I'm 100% sure that what I need is exactly what you have and what you have done. Now that I know it will work with the risers you have and the Helibars mounted on top of it with plenty of movement up and back to spare, I'm sure I'll find my sweet spot. Thank you for your post and explanation of what you did. You have definitely helped me with the problem I'm having. Going to order my Helibars now.
Thank you all for your input as well and for starting this thread. So, so helpful. 👍🏽😎

98valk
08-11-2015, 08:29 PM
Great! I'm glad it was helpful.

I think that I have mine dialed in - at least for a while. I am real happy with the wrist angle. Once you are happy with the wrist angle, you can adjust higher or closer to your preference (there is a trade off there between height vs closeness).

Some have asked how far back the Helibars go. The way my are adjusted (and your miles will vary), the center of my grip handles (half way point on the grip) are about 11" back from the center of the ignition key. If that 11' is horizontal (using a level), the center of the grip handles is about 2" up from there.

So, 11" back and 2" up from the ignition key. And that is about as far back as they go. You can get a little more, but will sacrifice significant height at this angle. KEEP IN MIND, I HAVE MBL RISERS INSTALLED.

BLACK DIAMOND
08-19-2015, 02:35 PM
98, great info again. Thank you! 👍🏽😎
Can't wait to get my Heli bars and start the adjustment prosses to find my sweet spot. Soo looking forward to being able to lean back and be comfortable. 😎👍🏽

Verismo
09-10-2017, 01:24 AM
Great! I'm glad it was helpful.

I think that I have mine dialed in - at least for a while. I am real happy with the wrist angle. Once you are happy with the wrist angle, you can adjust higher or closer to your preference (there is a trade off there between height vs closeness).

Some have asked how far back the Helibars go. The way my are adjusted (and your miles will vary), the center of my grip handles (half way point on the grip) are about 11" back from the center of the ignition key. If that 11' is horizontal (using a level), the center of the grip handles is about 2" up from there.

So, 11" back and 2" up from the ignition key. And that is about as far back as they go. You can get a little more, but will sacrifice significant height at this angle. KEEP IN MIND, I HAVE MBL RISERS INSTALLED.

Can you post a pic somewhere please? I have the Helibars on and am thinking about adding risers and a visual would be helpful. Thanks!

Jason