PDA

View Full Version : Had a brother go down today

Jimmytee
05-31-2015, 06:43 PM
Was out on a ride today. Guys wanted me to take them on a particularly crooked road. We we're riding at a fairly slow pace. I had some not real experienced riders with me. Well, we got stuck behind a slow moving car for a few miles and my friend, who has been on this road before with me, decides to go on around the car. I heard him rev up his Harley behind me and I immediately knew what he was going to do. He came on around me and the car in front. I surveyed the situation and knew we would be coming to an end of this road pretty soon. I went ahead and followed him. I watched him through a couple of turns and I was thinking he needed to slow down by the way he was handling through those turns. Sure enough, he came around a corner and blew it, panicked and side swiped a new Chevy 4x4 pick up. He totaled his bike, did a lot of damage to the truck and his riding season is over. He left in an ambulance with broken bones in his left foot. He's doing alright given the foot . We got his bike back to a shop, but I know it's totaled. Frame is bent among other things. I watched it all unfold right in front of me and not a damn thing I could do to stop it. Guys respect the corners, learn,practice proper cornering techniques .

Greg O
05-31-2015, 06:58 PM
Hope your friend is alright, thank god, it could have been worst. A lesson learned the hard way.

flat6bagger
05-31-2015, 07:02 PM
Thoughts and prayers go out to all involved.
In time he will heal and hopefully remember that patience truly is a virtue.

Doug

Jimmytee
05-31-2015, 07:07 PM
Thanks guys, he's in good spirits, A little medicated.:icon_wink: Thank God is right, it could have been worse. He's going to have a hard time living this down. Everyone is behind him and glad he's ok, but now the infinite teasing begins. Thankful he is able to be around to still joke about it.

flat6bagger
05-31-2015, 07:13 PM
Was he ticketed or anything?
Sometimes fighting with the insurance companies,courts,etc. is more painful than the actual physical pain.
Every one of us has made a mistake while riding a motorcycle.
Some get lucky and some do not.

Doug

shooter
05-31-2015, 07:16 PM
Jimmy I've seen this before. Makes you wonder what they are thinking. And like you said its all unfolding and you're helpless. I hope your buddy makes a full recovery and rides again. For all of us on the forum give him our best.

Jimmytee
05-31-2015, 07:29 PM
Was he ticketed or anything?
Sometimes fighting with the insurance companies,courts,etc. is more painful than the actual physical pain.
Every one of us has made a mistake while riding a motorcycle.
Some get lucky and some do not.

Doug

No ticket.Plus the guy he hit was very nice and concerned. We helped him change his front tire. The bike took a hole out of the side of his left front tire among other things.

Jimmytee
05-31-2015, 07:30 PM
Jimmy I've seen this before. Makes you wonder what they are thinking. And like you said its all unfolding and you're helpless. I hope your buddy makes a full recovery and rides again. For all of us on the forum give him our best.

Thanks :yes: Part of me thinks he was trying to impress me, but as I was watching him through a couple of previous corners, I was pretty concerned.:icon_frown:

53driver
05-31-2015, 08:46 PM
I'm just glad he's all right and the truck owner isn't too terribly inconvenienced.

stroguy
05-31-2015, 09:11 PM
Glad to hear he will be alright. Man has got know his limitations.

Last night coming home in my cage from a HS graduation in a pouring rain, at dark on a 5 wide highway just north of Houston, I am doing 65 in the far left lane. Told the wife to hang on because you are not going to believe what is fixing to pass us. Coming about 75-80 right next to me is a HD dude, no helmet tucked behind his windscreen. I have no idea how he was capable of driving. The wife was becoming ill she was so scared for the guy. Another minute passes and a 883, no windscreen comes flying past us doing 85-90. He had a brain bucket. I have never realized brazen idiocy on a motorcycle like this. I can only figure they robbed a bank. Scary stuff.

Best of luck to your friend, lesson painfully learned. I only try to impress my wife, and it never works, so I quit.

ths61
05-31-2015, 09:39 PM
Glad to hear he will be alright. Man has got know his limitations.

Last night coming home in my cage from a HS graduation in a pouring rain, at dark on a 5 wide highway just north of Houston, I am doing 65 in the far left lane. Told the wife to hang on because you are not going to believe what is fixing to pass us. Coming about 75-80 right next to me is a HD dude, no helmet tucked behind his windscreen. I have no idea how he was capable of driving. The wife was becoming ill she was so scared for the guy. Another minute passes and a 883, no windscreen comes flying past us doing 85-90. He had a brain bucket. I have never realized brazen idiocy on a motorcycle like this. I can only figure they robbed a bank. Scary stuff.

Best of luck to your friend, lesson painfully learned. I only try to impress my wife, and it never works, so I quit.

I have had crotch rockets pass me doing triple digits (LANE SPLITTING) on packed 8 lane highways easily going 50 MPH faster than traffic. If any cages would have wandered in their lanes, their remains would have been spread out for a half a mile.

bobbyf6b
05-31-2015, 09:57 PM
Sorry to hear about that Jimmy. I lead a lot of group rides for HOG, Legion Riders and at one time CVMA (I quit a few years ago) so I know how you feel. I always feel responsible for everyone and if something goes wrong I take it to heart.

I wish your brother a speedy recovery and a good insurance payoff for a new bike when he's ready. :yes::yes:

Trike lady
05-31-2015, 10:04 PM
Prayers for a speedy recovery.

BuzzzPhotos
05-31-2015, 10:20 PM
Prayers going out for your friend Jimmy and for all you guys as we head into this riding season. I've been (cage)driving a bunch this last week and I've noticed a BUNCH of people driving terrible in the rain. Especially down in Houston. Be careful guys!

srt8-in-largo
06-01-2015, 12:41 AM
:shock:

Whoa Jimmy, bad stuff man.

When I see someone and I think they're riding a bit beyond their abilities, I always back down. When they see me in the far far distance in their rear view mirror, they get the idea to slow down and "wait" for me.

nvmyf6
06-01-2015, 01:42 AM
Man, sorry to hear that Jimmy.
As we all know, it does take several years to get that counter steering adjustment correct.

Prayer to your Brother for a full recovery.

Jimmytee
06-01-2015, 04:53 AM
:shock:

Whoa Jimmy, bad stuff man.

When I see someone and I think they're riding a bit beyond their abilities, I always back down. When they see me in the far far distance in their rear view mirror, they get the idea to slow down and "wait" for me.

Yeah I wish I had the time for that, but those turns were in quick succession from one into the next. It happened rather quickly, but watching him go down still replays in slow motion.:icon_rolleyes:

Thanks everyone for the prayers and well wishes.

srt8-in-largo
06-01-2015, 09:08 AM
:yes:

Don't let it haunt you buddy; stuff out of our control happens all the time.

Elroy
06-01-2015, 09:22 AM
Yeah I wish I had the time for that, but those turns were in quick succession from one into the next. It happened rather quickly, but watching him go down still replays in slow motion.:icon_rolleyes:

Thanks everyone for the prayers and well wishes.

Glad he's alright Jimmy and will make a full recovery. If the teasing & ribbing's are the only lasting effect, he can consider himself lucky.

Jimmytee
06-01-2015, 09:49 AM
:yes:

Don't let it haunt you buddy; stuff out of our control happens all the time.

It won't haunt me, just funny how your brain works with slow motion recall .

Ericb445
06-01-2015, 07:54 PM
I'm glad to hear that he will recover. I hope he does fast.

-Eric

carpdm
06-01-2015, 08:10 PM
So glad to hear he is ok. Never fun to witness accident unfolding before your eyes. A very helpless feeling.

Jimmytee
06-01-2015, 08:42 PM
I was up in the hospital to see him today. They are doing surgery tomorrow morning. He was in good spirits.

CopperMike
06-01-2015, 08:59 PM
Good thoughts and prayers go out to you and your friends. Glad he wasn't more seriously hurt.