PDA

View Full Version : consensus on throttle lock?

RickJ
06-02-2015, 02:10 PM
Been searching the archives and don't see any clear consensus...at least in all areas- look and function. The Kaoko looks to me like the easiest to use, and the Throlttlemeister LOOKS better, and kuryakyn doesn't seem to make one for the f6...thoughts? You guys were right on about the Aero pegs, love em.

flat6bagger
06-02-2015, 02:21 PM
I love my Omni cruise.
Works great!

Doug

bigbird
06-02-2015, 02:23 PM
I've tried most of them at one time or another, and I still prefer the BrakeAway.

Vol1chuck
06-02-2015, 02:27 PM
I love my KAOKO and think it is probably the best when making the price v function compromise.

tmac99
06-02-2015, 03:02 PM
I have the Kaoko and find it works well. It's not quite as easy to "roll on " and "roll off" as the advertising makes you believe, but it's quite manageable. Installation was pretty quick and easy.

Texas TC
06-02-2015, 03:24 PM
I like my Go Cruise. Inexpensive and it does the job well.

flat6bagger
06-02-2015, 03:30 PM
The GoCruise was ok,but hard to adjust the dial.
A member here took care of me with an Omni Cruise.
What a difference.
The dial knob on top is easy to use even with gloves on, it holds far better than I could get the GoCruise to hold.
Both are inexpensive good options and do what they are designed to do.

Doug

BIGLRY
06-02-2015, 03:41 PM
I use and like my "Go Cruse" on the ISO grips, by adding the O-rings on the sides it reduces any lateral movement of the arm.

98valk
06-02-2015, 03:44 PM
I had the Kaoko. It looked great! Installed easily. What a pita to use. I sold it.

I like the easy on easy off throttle locks. If brake away was still making them in black, I might have gone that route.

I got one of these simple cheapies, like the old days. It looks great and works great.

Note: It is a pain if not impossible to install with heated grips.

Mastergunny
06-02-2015, 03:46 PM
I have used the throttlemeister on my last two motorcycles. Works well for me and is invisible.

RickJ
06-02-2015, 03:57 PM
I have used the throttlemeister on my last two motorcycles. Works well for me and is invisible.

As I said- it seems to look nicer . You find it locks easily? With gloves? I hate to admit that I's sacrifice some function for looks- in fact it's embarrassing, but true- so I'll own it!

flat6bagger
06-02-2015, 04:49 PM
Your worried about looks?
Uh hem, who is going to notice it at highway speeds when you will be using it?

Doug

flat6bagger
06-02-2015, 04:52 PM
BIGLRY,
I also use the O rings with the Omni Cruise.
It is almost a must with those kinds of throttle locks.

Doug

ISLANDER1089
06-02-2015, 05:00 PM
The ideal gadget for cruise control is the "Mc Cruise" but I just couldn't justify the cost plus the time to install it. The Brakeaway is also expensive but a very nice system that shuts off with the application of the front brake. This feature is unique to the Brakeaway but to me is worth the extra cost.

RickJ
06-02-2015, 05:30 PM
Your worried about looks?
Uh hem, who is going to notice it at highway speeds when you will be using it?

Doug

Well, It's the total "package" I'm not "worried" about looks, but for me it is part of the equation. There is a whole aesthetic around form and function and I usually come down on the side of function, but there are times I also want something to look good- I love this bike, and it's appearance- parked or moving- is part of it. The lock is just for an occasional hand stretch when various aches occur...so I'm sure that I'll get used to whatever peculararities the thing has- as long as it works....oh, and looks goood

flat6bagger
06-02-2015, 05:54 PM
I was messing with you Rick.
I understand your way of thinking.
I know people that are probably 10 times worse than you could ever be.
As far as the looks,truthfully people just don't notice it.
I have my Omni Cruise with bright yellow Caterpillar seals on both sides of it.
I had 6 people walk up on me asking questions faster than I could answer.
Not one in about 15 minutes of looking it over said a word about the Omni Cruise.
These motorcycles are like a piece of artwork when no one has seen them before.

Doug

TnHeath
06-02-2015, 06:02 PM
I've tried most of them at one time or another, and I still prefer the BrakeAway.

I agree! The BrakeAway is as close to a true cruise as a mechanical one can get...you can make minute, extremely small movements of the throttle, keeping a constant speed. A bit tedious to initially set. It is top quality.

ths61
06-02-2015, 06:17 PM
Anyone use BrakeAway with OEM heated grips?

If so, any tips, feedback or things to be aware of?

TIA

TnHeath
06-02-2015, 06:46 PM
Anyone use BrakeAway with OEM heated grips?

If so, any tips, feedback or things to be aware of?

TIA

Mine has heated grips...no problem with interference.

RickJ
06-02-2015, 08:49 PM
I was messing with you Rick.
I understand your way of thinking.
I know people that are probably 10 times worse than you could ever be.
As far as the looks,truthfully people just don't notice it.
I have my Omni Cruise with bright yellow Caterpillar seals on both sides of it.
I had 6 people walk up on me asking questions faster than I could answer.
Not one in about 15 minutes of looking it over said a word about the Omni Cruise.
These motorcycles are like a piece of artwork when no one has seen them before.

Doug

Trying to think of a humble yet witty response...yeah- ya got me! Your elaboration was a help too! Thanks...I apologize for getting a little snippy...but your post also made me think about my thinking. All good. I love this place.

flat6bagger
06-02-2015, 09:04 PM
Rick,
I can come off as an ahole in written word sometimes.
I find humor where others don't.
I am the one that needs to apologize and I do.
No harm intended.
Be well and ride safe.

Doug

RickJ
06-02-2015, 10:35 PM
Rick,
I can come off as an ahole in written word sometimes.
I find humor where others don't.
I am the one that needs to apologize and I do.
No harm intended.
Be well and ride safe.

Doug

Doug
[insert your quote above here]

Rick

RickJ
06-02-2015, 10:42 PM
Mine has heated grips...no problem with interference.

On the tested chart on the website it specifically says :
F6B Goldwing
Standard Only (No Heated Grips)
NA
6CP03

I wonder if it means they only tested it on the standard or that it only works on the standard...They also say (on their site):

Safety Warning! Heated grips with wire protruding from the grip flange are not compatible with any of the following Models listed below this line. The protruding wire has the potential of becoming entangled in the cruise control components when you turn the throttle which could cause the throttle to hang up and stick open.

Apparently your experience says otherwise...or at least our grip wire doesn't protrude from the grip flange?

DaWadd
06-03-2015, 08:04 AM
I'll throw in my 2 cents, had a Go Cruise aluminum and used for most of last year but on a recent long journey found I had to fiddle with it too much. Took it off and replaced with the BrakeAway and won't go back. Others here don't mind the Go Cruise but did not pan out for me. BrakeAway is much safer IMO."coffee"

Hornblower
06-03-2015, 12:09 PM
I'll throw in my 2 cents, had a Go Cruise aluminum and used for most of last year but on a recent long journey found I had to fiddle with it too much. Took it off and replaced with the BrakeAway and won't go back. Others here don't mind the Go Cruise but did not pan out for me. BrakeAway is much safer IMO."coffee"

:agree:, especially about the BrakeAway being safer. IMO, just having the disengagement happen as soon as you grab the front brake makes it so. I still have the Go Cruise aluminum but hope to upgrade to the BrakeAway before much longer. I just wish that was offered in black! Also, I've had concerns about using the BrakeAway with my heated grip but I see now several have done that with no apparent problems.

edgeman55
06-03-2015, 02:11 PM
Another thumbs up for the Breakaway.Just a few pics of mine on a 13 non heated grip for those who wonder what one looks like installed..Works as advertised and the ability to instantly disengage with the touch of the brake is worth the cost to me.307230733074

RickJ
06-03-2015, 07:16 PM
The Brakaway looks and sounds like the ticket- except that the site is really specific about not using it on heated grips where the wire comes out from where ours does. In fact- if you try to order online it specifically says standard only, non-heated grips. Tnheath, not doubting that it works for you...but also not doubting they have a reason for not wanting their product used on heated grips...?? any issues installing or using??

TnHeath
06-03-2015, 09:37 PM
The Brakaway looks and sounds like the ticket- except that the site is really specific about not using it on heated grips where the wire comes out from where ours does. In fact- if you try to order online it specifically says standard only, non-heated grips. Tnheath, not doubting that it works for you...but also not doubting they have a reason for not wanting their product used on heated grips...?? any issues installing or using??

I read the disclaimer on their site before I ordered mine. Having had several on past bikes I really wanted one. I thought I'd try it anyway and deal with any safety issues someway. I have watched it closely, the wire from the grips is very close to the frame of the breakaway but not touching. If it wasn't installed carefully I can see how it could keep the throttle from fully closing. In 5k mine hasn't caught...if it does I will cut or trim something. I think Breakway is being super cautious from a legal standpoint cause they have no control over the installation. I will take a close-up of it tomorrow and post so you can see the critical area.

RickJ
06-03-2015, 09:56 PM
I read the disclaimer on their site before I ordered mine. Having had several on past bikes I really wanted one. I thought I'd try it anyway and deal with any safety issues someway. I have watched it closely, the wire from the grips is very close to the frame of the breakaway but not touching. If it wasn't installed carefully I can see how it could keep the throttle from fully closing. In 5k mine hasn't caught...if it does I will cut or trim something. I think Breakway is being super cautious from a legal standpoint cause they have no control over the installation. I will take a close-up of it tomorrow and post so you can see the critical area.

Thx for the post...I think you sealed the deal! Not sure if any sponsoring vendors carry this. {EDIT}wingstuff has it, And, yeah- seeing a pic would really help.

TnHeath
06-04-2015, 11:53 AM
Thx for the post...I think you sealed the deal! Not sure if any sponsoring vendors carry this. {EDIT}wingstuff has it, And, yeah- seeing a pic would really help.

Rick, this is the throttle fully open...you can see how close the grip wire is to the BrakeAway.

fl1madmax
06-04-2015, 12:29 PM
what I like lost about Throtlemister is you don't have to think in a panic situation, all it does is Stiffen the return, so if your resting your hand on the throttle
you just slam off throttle, there's nothing to unlock or do, they look clean and if they didn't say ON OFF on right side people think there just Bar Ends
$145 seems expensive but when I ride its usually 200-400 miles, and it works perfect for when you just want to rest your hand for awhile. Yes it drops a few miles a hour going up hill or over overpasses, but ya know what , the wind is in my face and I just relax, listen to my tunes and Breath !!!! Ride Safe Ride Often !!!!!!!

RickJ
06-04-2015, 12:40 PM
Tnheathy- picture worth a thousand words.