PDA

View Full Version : Question for heli bar owners

Brian D
06-02-2015, 03:27 PM
I'm considering buying these bars as a last ditch effort to get comfortable on this bike. Will these bars raise approx 3-4 inches higher than stock. I guess what I'm asking is imagine your hands on the stock bars and going straight up 3-4inches. These stock bars are killing my neck and shoulders. I let my brother in law take my f6 to that memorial ride in dc and he is the same size as me 6ft3 and long arms and he had the same complant after being in the saddle for more than 3hrs

BIGLRY
06-02-2015, 03:48 PM
I love mine I no longer have that pinching pain between the shoulders or the sore wrist from a wrong angle after a days ride.
From their web site. https://www.helibars.com/product/honda-goldwing-gl1800f6b-luxury-sport-touring-horizon-bars

• Up to 2 1/2 inches taller than stock handlebars depending on adjustment combinations.
• Up to 4 inches closer to the rider than stock depending on adjustment combinations.
• Wrist angle adjusts over a 36 degree sweep forward and back with safety rotation limiters. No more cramped feeling when doing tight turns at low speed!
• All necessary components included for start to finish installation.
• Uses all factory cables, hydraulics and wire looms.
• 2-3 hour installation time for Wing-familiar mechanics.
• High strength alloy aluminum construction.
• One inch interconnecting cross bar provides an expansive area to mount gadgets.
• CNC machined on state of the art Mori Seiki machines.
• Durable UV resistant black powdercoat finish.
• As always, all HeliBar products come with our money-back guarantee

Jimmytee
06-02-2015, 04:46 PM
I'm considering buying these bars as a last ditch effort to get comfortable on this bike. Will these bars raise approx 3-4 inches higher than stock. I guess what I'm asking is imagine your hands on the stock bars and going straight up 3-4inches. These stock bars are killing my neck and shoulders. I let my brother in law take my f6 to that memorial ride in dc and he is the same size as me 6ft3 and long arms and he had the same complant after being in the saddle for more than 3hrs

Brian, I can say I had the exact pain you seem to be having. It seems to be common among those who have bought the Helibars. What I can tell you from my experience is that the Helibars took away any discomfort I had been having. I really think it was in the grip angle and not so much the height or pull back that made the biggest difference.

Before I had the Helibars, I had tried the Kuryakyn risers, and they didn't help, maybe even made it worse. I was reconsidering whether I would be keeping the F6B if the pain had persisted. Anything over 100 miles or so and I would begin to experience the discomfort.

The Helibars completely removed this issue for me.:yes:

BIGLRY
06-02-2015, 06:22 PM
Brian, I can say I had the exact pain you seem to be having. It seems to be common among those who have bought the Helibars. What I can tell you from my experience is that the Helibars took away any discomfort I had been having. I really think it was in the grip angle and not so much the height or pull back that made the biggest difference.

Before I had the Helibars, I had tried the Kuryakyn risers, and they didn't help, maybe even made it worse. I was reconsidering whether I would be keeping the F6B if the pain had persisted. Anything over 100 miles or so and I would begin to experience the discomfort.

The Helibars completely removed this issue for me.:yes:I agree 100%

burgs
06-03-2015, 06:09 AM
best modification I have made. pain free riding. all day every day.

db24
06-03-2015, 11:46 AM
Ok, ok all these posts are pushing me over the edge. I downloaded the installations instructions. How long can I expect the installation to take if I keep at it? Will probably order them today.

Hornblower
06-03-2015, 11:56 AM
Ok, ok all these posts are pushing me over the edge. I downloaded the installations instructions. How long can I expect the installation to take if I keep at it? Will probably order them today.

Do you have heated grips? If so, that will add considerably to installation time. For me, that was the most time-consuming part unless you consider final adjustment part of the installation. Due to how adjustable HeliBars are, you can spend a fair amount of time getting them "just right" for you. Anyway, to sort of address your question, my installation and final setup time, with heated grips, was around 2 hours. Expect to return to the setup for further "tweaking" as you dial in the fit.

db24
06-03-2015, 11:59 AM
Yes, heated grips....

Hornblower
06-03-2015, 12:17 PM
Yes, heated grips....

No big problem but it does take some time to deal carefully with that. From what I've heard, it's pretty easy to damage the heating elements which means you can't just pull and twist on the left grip to remove it. You have to heat it up to soften the adhesive and use the special tool provided to slide it off. It's not difficult but, again, does take some time.

Goldwing Werks
06-04-2015, 08:30 PM
I have sold and installed 20+ sets of Heli Bars on Wings and F6Bs. Not one issue with customer satisfaction. Heated grips are fairly easy to install, just take your time. Let me know if I can help you.

Keith
Goldwing Werks
Phonec281-384-7846

db24
06-06-2015, 05:31 PM
Thanks, they should arrive Wed/ Thurs next week. My local Honda dealer wants $357 to install...

Hornblower
06-06-2015, 05:51 PM
Thanks, they should arrive Wed/ Thurs next week. My local Honda dealer wants $357 to install...

db...my advice is to install these yourself and save $357. The included instructions are exceptional and easy to follow. You can do this!

Old Ryder
06-06-2015, 06:07 PM
db...my advice is to install these yourself and save $357. The included instructions are exceptional and easy to follow. You can do this!

Double Ditto!:lolup: it is not a quick job but not hard either. Half that price is good money and you don't have to be a ace mechanic, just take your time and follow the instructions.

CarolinaRider
06-06-2015, 09:06 PM
I asked a local dealer about installation and they want $78 an hour.

Even if it takes them 3 hours its $234 compared to someone who doesn't have the aptitude or tools equals peace of mind and if its a solid shop will stand behind their work.

I am truly impressed by the work you all complete on your bikes just not my strength.

I have learned in my few years that when I try to do something like this on my own it ends up taking more money and time fixing what I broke. :yikes: