PDA

View Full Version : If you did away with the saddlebag locks how would you like it to work

Pedro66
07-24-2013, 10:48 PM
Working on some product options

Removing the saddlebag locks

Would you rather have

1. A remote control
2. A hidden button that unlocks the bags but only when the ignition is on
3. A system that locks and unlocks with the ignition

bobbyf6b
07-24-2013, 11:34 PM
4. Ability to pull key out when unlocked.

Pedro66
07-24-2013, 11:58 PM

That's easy

Pull the lock cylinder and remove the holder

I will look at it

bobbyf6b
07-25-2013, 12:03 AM
A remote would be cool, until the battery dies and you're SOL.

ghostrider
07-25-2013, 07:30 AM

Ditto. That is the simplest solution. Having the ability to lock or unlock the bags and pull the key out in either position. Besides the inconvenience it was too easy to leave the key dangling back there and walk away. Out of sight out of mind.

Cool Hand Luke
07-25-2013, 02:35 PM

I agree! How can we make that happen? I think I would simply leave bags unlocked most of the time and just lock them when parked at night while on a trip.

Pedro66
07-25-2013, 05:19 PM
Been playing with it this afternoon and its not a slam dunk however I do it

Actually almost the easiest and as most people are disabling the locks anyway would be to dismantle the lock and remove most if not all of the wafers so the key will come out in the unlock position then at least you cam give some semblance of locking it

I had the lock apart today and its really an easy task

erazor55
07-25-2013, 08:16 PM
Ditto. That is the simplest solution. Having the ability to lock or unlock the bags and pull the key out in either position. Besides the inconvenience it was too easy to leave the key dangling back there and walk away. Out of sight out of mind.

I've never done that (3 or 4 times...:icon_redface:)

Memphian
07-26-2013, 09:42 AM

Is my bike different than everyone elses. My key comes out with the bags open.:iduno:

bobbyf6b
07-26-2013, 10:11 AM
Is my bike different than everyone elses. My key comes out with the bags open.:iduno:

The key comes out but when you close the bags they are locked. We want to be able to pull the key out when it's in the horizontal position. Then you won't need the key every time you want to open the bags.

kjelders
07-26-2013, 03:35 PM
What about making key knobs? Like I have done on the wing. Buy spare blanks and have the keys made. Then buy the radio knobs, cut the key and jb weld the cut key into the knob. You would just leave the key in to get stuff in or out of the bags. You wouldn't even have to remove them unless you would be away from the bike for some time. On the wing I made key knobs for the fuel door and the right fairing lock pocket. I don't even remove them. Looks like just some more farkles unless you know about wings.

Texas TC
07-26-2013, 04:50 PM
What about making key knobs? Like I have done on the wing. Buy spare blanks and have the keys made. Then buy the radio knobs, cut the key and jb weld the cut key into the knob. You would just leave the key in to get stuff in or out of the bags. You wouldn't even have to remove them unless you would be away from the bike for some time. On the wing I made key knobs for the fuel door and the right fairing lock pocket. I don't even remove them. Looks like just some more farkles unless you know about wings.

That is what I did. However, I would rather have the ability, on the bag lock, to simply remove the key when I want the bags unlocked. Stupid Honda engineering in my humble opinion.

yellowskeeter1
07-27-2013, 02:40 PM
#2 would be my choice

BillyDaFinn
07-27-2013, 08:56 PM
I would go with #2 also.......

Texas TC
07-27-2013, 10:03 PM
To me, #2 would be just as much a pain in the a$$ as what we have now. I like to be able to walk out in the garage and open my bags without any key involved. I just want to be able to lock or unlock the bags and remove the key in either position. JMHO. My little radio knob is the best solution for me if I cannot remove the key in the unlocked position.

BillyDaFinn
07-28-2013, 12:15 AM
Anything to keep me from walking away from the bike with the key still in the bag lock! I did it twice today, I'm such a dumbass........lol

brickards
09-01-2013, 08:54 AM
One option that has worked well for me is to disable the lock on one side. This allows one side for quick access with no key but still have the second side if you want to lock something up.

Cleaver1
09-01-2013, 11:29 AM
What would be the difference between walking with the key (made with knob) in the lock or leaving the bag open all the time? I leave my key in the lock, it will not start the bike, and if I am at the motel, I lock the lock and take it out. This is the same as leaving it unlocked and locking at the motel for the night.

MercuryF1
09-03-2013, 02:48 AM
Option #2 will be nice.

perhaps you could start a poll to see what everyone else would prefer.

F6BEAST
09-03-2013, 05:01 AM
#1 option (remote control) would be sweet, if it could be done with minimal cost.

FrankVelozo
09-03-2013, 06:11 AM
I must admit the locks can be a pain.
i keep my extra key in my pocket becuse just about every time i start to warm my bike up
i have to shut it down to get somthing.
Also if im going on a good ride i just leave the spair key in the trunk hole.

Texas TC
09-03-2013, 09:09 AM
I must admit the locks can be a pain.
i keep my extra key in my pocket becuse just about every time i start to warm my bike up
i have to shut it down to get somthing.
Also if im going on a good ride i just leave the spair key in the trunk hole.

Get a spare key, cut the head off and glue it to a knob to make one of these. It makes life much easier.

db24
09-03-2013, 10:27 AM
#2 first choice, then #1.