PDA

View Full Version : OMG, trying to decide on a helmet.....

Redlinez
06-03-2015, 03:40 PM
So, I thought I had decided to go with a helmet with the drop down sunshield. I narrowed it to the HJC RPHA ST, Scorpion T1200 Sight, or possibly the Scorpion EX0-500. I have shopped all my local shops and none of them stock any of these with the exception of the EX0500 in plain ol black. The parts guy said the helmets with built in drop down shield is normally louder and bulkier due to the design. He also said the HJC RPHA and RPHA ST would most likely fit differently due to the drop down. I made the mistake of buying my last helmet online without trying one on, but no one stocked the Sharks back in 09 (still don't). He also said once he sold out of his Scorpions he wouldn't order more because they now only come direct from Scorpion which cost him more. So, no local dealer seems to have interest in Scorpion. I was pretty impressed with the fit and comfort of the EX0-500.
The HJC RPHA fit pretty good for me as well and has great reviews. The only other helmet that fit me well and was comfortable was the least expensive, the Bell Vortex. Would you guys go with the drop down visor or just wear shades with a regular helmet? Should I boot the Scorpion and go with a Bell or HJC or consider Scorpion? It looks like no one stocks the graphic colors I'm looking for, but sportbiketrackgear and Revzilla do and have the best prices. Thanks for any input, sorry so long. My only other option was the Seven zero Seven Vendetta 3 at Cyclegear, which also has a drop down visor. OH, and the Bell Vortex and HJC RPHA are Dot and Snell rated.
Prices are: HJC RPHA Cage $247, Scorpion T1200(int visor) $360, HJC RPHA ST (int visor), Scorpion EX0-500 $189 (int visor), Bell Vortex Grind $109 (transition shield $119 additional).

F6B1911
06-03-2015, 03:48 PM
Just get a Schuberth C3 Pro and be done with it.

bigbird
06-03-2015, 04:00 PM
My only advice is buy a helmet that you know is comfortable.
Many online retailers have great return policies; either free or very cheap return shipping.
I can tell you that my Scorpion EXO-C110 (half helmet with drop down sun visor) fits me great and works for me, as does my Shoei J-Cruise 3/4 helmet.
Since everyone's head shape is different, you need to make your own choice.
BTW, my Shoei JCruise fits me better than my Schuberth C3 which I recently sold.
Just because a helmet is highly rated or expensive doesn't necessarily make it comfortable.

F6B1911
06-03-2015, 04:24 PM
My only advice is buy a helmet that you know is comfortable.
BTW, my Shoei JCruise fits me better than my Schuberth C3 which I recently sold.
Just because a helmet is highly rated or expensive doesn't necessarily make it comfortable.

Yes, a helmet is a subjective purchase, think I bought more helmets than windshields,
In addition to being the most comfortable, the Schuberth was the "quietest" helmet of all those I purchased.

Redlinez
06-03-2015, 04:26 PM
I can't spend Schuberth money with buying two helmets, a backrest, boots, gloves, jackets, etc. Maybe one day down the road, but no one here stocks those either. I will say the Bell Vortex fit great, the Scorpion EXO500 felt good, and the HJC RPHA felt good. The EX0500 felt the most plush to me IMO.

stroguy
06-03-2015, 04:30 PM
Drop down sunshades...ugh. Not a fan. Had many, never used them. Enjoy old school sunglasses. As BB said make sure it is comfortable first.

Redlinez
06-03-2015, 04:38 PM
IF I drop the idea of the drop down sunshades, that puts me in more affordable and some closeout higher end helmets. The Bell RS1 in another, may not be as suited for "touring" upright riding though, which very few seem to be. I'm guessing if the comfort is great, that's what's most important.

shooter
06-03-2015, 04:51 PM
Drop down sunshades...ugh. Not a fan. Had many, never used them. Enjoy old school sunglasses. As BB said make sure it is comfortable first.
I wouldn't take a farm in Texas for my Shoei Neotec. It has a drop down sunshade. Clear shield with a sunshade. Best of both worlds.

stroguy
06-03-2015, 05:02 PM
My biggest issue with drop downs is the line at the edge of the shade. Never seems to fall where I want. Glasses are on my orbits.

We don't have farms. We have gold factories, chickens that lay diamonds, silver spun from the hair of angels, TEXAS Tea and women from horizon to horizon. You must earn a pass to come in here.

Steve 0080
06-03-2015, 05:22 PM
IF I drop the idea of the drop down sunshades, that puts me in more affordable and some closeout higher end helmets. The Bell RS1 in another, may not be as suited for "touring" upright riding though, which very few seem to be. I'm guessing if the comfort is great, that's what's most important.

Try Cycle Gear out if you have one close...they have a 7 day return policy...try it get another one try it....ect!

Ericb445
06-03-2015, 05:38 PM
+1
On Cycle Gear.

Redlinez
06-03-2015, 05:41 PM
We have one. They have a 707 Vendetta 3 with drop down. They are DOT/ECE, $150. Felt pretty good, just not a mainstream name brand. Then they have the stupid expensive Shoeis and Arais.

rich
06-03-2015, 05:57 PM
I have the RPHA and love it, very comfortable with great ventilation. The pin lock system is great for not fogging up. A little pricey but IMHO is worth it.

Rich

Redlinez
06-03-2015, 06:02 PM
I saw the RPHA Zappy, Cage, and Combust graphics on the bay for $230.

XHarley
06-03-2015, 06:32 PM
IMHO the best bang for your buck in a good quality helmet that is priced very low for what you get is the HJC CL-17. I have one and it is a snug but comfortable fit, quiet and has the Snell rating. I bought mine with an optional pin insert for around $128.

Read this review and it may help you decide.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/hjc/cl-17/review.htm

If you have ever been at or seen a motorcycle wreck you will know that the rider usually smacks into his windshield/handlebars and the object/vehicle in front as he is thrown through the air after impact. He also may fly over the vehicle and do a face first into the asphalt as he skids on his face to a stop. This usually results in major trauma to the jaw area and chest so a full face helmet can provide some protection for this area that you will not get with a 3/4 or 1/2 helmet. I have over 20 years as a Volunteer Firefighter/EMT and have seen some nasty stuff that makes me wonder why I still ride a motorcycle.

Remember, it is not if you are ever going to have a motorcycle accident but when you are going to have a motorcycle accident. Or as someone else has stated, dress for the crash, not the ride. Get a helmet with a Snell rating.

Ride safe.

X

Redlinez
06-03-2015, 07:21 PM
Definitely putting weight on the Snell rating. Won't consider a modular as I'm not convinced they will stay closed on impact. None of the Cycle Gear inexpensive helmets that I saw were Snell. Many are DOT/ECE. Thanks for that link, checked that out earlier. Will reread.

shooter
06-03-2015, 07:40 PM
My biggest issue with drop downs is the line at the edge of the shade. Never seems to fall where I want. Glasses are on my orbits.

We don't have farms. We have gold factories, chickens that lay diamonds, silver spun from the hair of angels, TEXAS Tea and women from horizon to horizon. You must earn a pass to come in here.

Yeah and you can't see a lot if that shyt right now cause its under water. I live on a big hill in MO. Its looking real good right now.

Redlinez
06-03-2015, 08:47 PM
X, you have a crazy awesome set of roads right by you, so that probably doesn't help. I also know that riding on "the edge" and not expecting someone in a car to do something stupid leads to many, many motorcycle accidents. Back in my "early" days (92-95), I had someone try to chase me down, someone back in front of me, and carelessly ran over a huge section of broken bridge concrete because I was checking out a girl in a car at 70mph. Somehow I didn't come off the bike..... the Good Lord had His hand in it for sure.

stroguy
06-03-2015, 09:00 PM
Yeah and you can't see a lot if that shyt right now cause its under water. I live on a big hill in MO. Its looking real good right now.

I can only retort with LOL. Now let this man find a helmet.

XHarley
06-03-2015, 09:04 PM
X, you have a crazy awesome set of roads right by you, so that probably doesn't help. I also know that riding on "the edge" and not expecting someone in a car to do something stupid leads to many, many motorcycle accidents. Back in my "early" days (92-95), I had someone try to chase me down, someone back in front of me, and carelessly ran over a huge section of broken bridge concrete because I was checking out a girl in a car at 70mph. Somehow I didn't come off the bike..... the Good Lord had His hand in it for sure.

The Good Lord has His hand in a lot more than we even realize so always be thankful.

Yes, we have some awesome motorcycle roads in our area and my fire district includes Highway 181 that goes up the mountain to Jonas Ridge/Linville Falls area and that is where we have had some extremely bad and fatal motorcycle wrecks. Highway 181 is an awesome ride going up the hill where you can scrape pegs and let the sparks fly without losing control but coming down is where most people let the motorcycle get ahead of them and they wipe out.

Anyway, I wish you the best in your helmet search and as always, ride safe.

X

99m3
06-03-2015, 09:52 PM
Shoei 1200, I know they are expensive but if you spend the money now you will not regret it later.

SoCal Rich
06-03-2015, 10:00 PM
Shoei 1200, I know they are expensive but if you spend the money now you will not regret it later.

Go to webbikeworld.com to see their helmet reviews. They do an awesome job and rate shapes, quality, quietness, etc. My noggin is narrow, which led me to the Bell RS1, and I love it. Quiet and extremely comfortable. Here is a link to their shapes page: http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmet-shapes.htm

Ridlikhel
06-03-2015, 10:08 PM
I have this one and love it.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/bell-rs-1-speed-hi-viz-helmet?utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=Bell+Helmets&utm_campaign=Auto_target&utm_source=bing&utm_keyword=Bell+RS-1+Speed+Hi-Viz+Helmet

nvmyf6
06-03-2015, 10:43 PM
If the Bell helmets fit you, then check out the Lazer carbon helmet . It's the lightest helmet, has the photocromic face shield. It changes from clear to dark as needed. Yes this is a modular helmet, but this helmet latches closed, loud and secure. Or you could get the full face one.

Check it out, and it's on sale. I paid top dollar for mine.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/lazer-monaco-carbon-helmet.

Check out the review.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/lazer-monaco/

Redlinez
06-04-2015, 05:45 AM
I'd been eyeing the RS-1 for a while. I guess it would be a little gamble being that I haven't found one local to try on, but the Vortex XL fit great. There are some great deals on those at Sportbiketrackgear too. I guess worse case, I pay to ship it back. I'm trying to stick with Snell rated helmets too, which eliminates a bunch.

Fla_rider
06-04-2015, 06:50 AM
I got this one. It's all about being seen and being cooler here in Florida!

Redlinez
06-04-2015, 08:40 AM
I think I'm down to the HJC RPHA, Bell RS1, and Bell Vortex. All Snell too. Guess I'll stick with my Oakleys. They are polarized and way better than a "cheap" drop down visor. The Scorpion T1200 is Snell, but I haven't found one locally and it's the most $. So matching the bike isn't all that I guess, which is what I was trying to do. My last bike was a CBR1000RR in black/silver and my helmet wasn't close. A Shark RSR2 Duhammel.

Redlinez
06-04-2015, 09:02 AM
How's this for bright! Only one of the 3 I like that is a bright color/colors. (borrowed from sportbiketrackgear)

Redlinez
06-04-2015, 10:09 AM
For my wife, I'm between the HJC CL-17 Redline pink and the Bell Vortex Monarch butterfly in pink. Both are Dot/Snell, about the same price too. She has tried on the HJC and liked it.

Madmax
06-04-2015, 01:13 PM
I'm partial to Arai and have a corsair V matt black mostlly use on my F6B but do have other helmets , Suomy and shoei

Redlinez
06-04-2015, 03:35 PM
I'm guessing the ECE 22.05 vs Snell M2010 argument is ongoing. Seems they're both pretty stringent. The Suomy Apex Sam and Tornado are sweet, but yet again not one anyone carries. The sweetest looking helmets are always on the net.....never in stores.

SoCal Rich
06-04-2015, 09:25 PM
I'm guessing the ECE 22.05 vs Snell M2010 argument is ongoing. Seems they're both pretty stringent. The Suomy Apex Sam and Tornado are sweet, but yet again not one anyone carries. The sweetest looking helmets are always on the net.....never in stores.

The RS-1 has a Transitions shield available, which I bought and love. I never need sunglasses and never need to remove it at night for a clear one. Highly recommend it.

Redlinez
06-06-2015, 07:59 AM
I'm probably going to go with an ECE approved helmet. I like their testing procedures and they appear to be the "safest" in real world conditions. So far, the EXO500 makes the most sense for me. The HJC RPHA didn't do well in side impact. Bell names their helmets something different in EU, not sure which is which, but they all did well.

Redlinez
06-06-2015, 11:09 AM
The Scorpion EXO Heritage fit everything I was looking for and the red, white, and blue paint scheme is one of my faves. I was lucky enough to find two at a smoking deal from a motorcycle dealer blowing them out on ebay. Here's a pic.

stroguy
06-06-2015, 11:22 AM
Awesome choice for that your bike.

Redlinez
06-08-2015, 08:39 PM
Thanks, can't wait to give back the borrowed helmet. Also wish my Joe Rocket jacket would hurry up....

Redlinez
06-11-2015, 06:30 PM

Rudy
06-11-2015, 10:12 PM
Good choice. I have been through several helmets and found that the Scorpion 500 fit me the best.

Redlinez
06-12-2015, 09:06 PM
First ride, first impressions.....blown away! The shield is ultra clear, the drop down visor rocks for several reasons. No changing of shield, great to ride at lower speeds with the visor up partially and the internal drop down dropped. Unbelievably quieter and more comfortable than the borrowed 707 Vendetta 2. I mean, like light years better comfort, quietness, and vision. Highly recommend and you can't beat some of the closeout prices!