PDA

View Full Version : The Mustang Seat, yep again

cosborn
06-03-2015, 06:27 PM
I dropped a line to Mustang the other day in reference to the fitting of the seat, and got a very helpful reply back from Gwen White, the details are below, may be of some help to others on the forum.

As an aside, I've read most of the forum posts regarding the fitting of the Mustang seat and I'm intending to try all the suggestions at one time, such as, reaming out the bolt holes, using anti-seize, the original bolts with a small taper and Gwen's suggestion of tightening each bolt a little at a time. The seat hasn't arrived yet so I'm still in the planning stage so wish me luck. Damn the seat does look good though.

Hi Gwen, many thanks for your update.
While i am impressed with the style of this saddle, I am very concerned after reading reports on the F6B forum regarding the difficulty that the majority of members have had in fitting the seat to their Honda F6B. Has the fitting problem been addressed and rectified or am i looking forward to a frustrating time trying to make the seat fit? The fact that i am in Australia will make it difficult to return the item if i discover that i cannot fit it.
Your suggestions regarding this matter would be very much appreciated.

Regards and best
Chris

Hi Chris,

The F6B seat is a very tight fit and can be difficult to install. Many customers call because they have trouble opening or closing their lids.

This can be rectified by loosening all 4 allen bolts and centering the seat on the bike. Slowly tighten each of the 4 bolts a small amount each time; checking to make sure that both lids are able to open. If lids on one side are not able to open, adjust the seat slightly. This technique will keep the seat in proper alignment and assure that you will be able to gain access to both bags.

We also show mounting instructions for our seats on our website. Go to www.mustantseats.com and enter the part number in the upper right hand corner “Search Box”. You will see a page that gives the seat description and a picture of the seat. Under the picture is a link that says “More Info”. If you click on that link, it will bring up another page (similar to the first) that will also have a link under the picture that says “Mounting Instructions”.

As I mentioned before, the seat can be difficult to install. When we first made this seat last year, we did decide to recall the seats. The seats were fitting the bikes, but the customers were having so much trouble getting into their saddlebags that they had to take their seats off. The recall affected our first 6 customers, so we were able to easily get the seats back for rework.

The seats are as difficult to build as they are to install and we only have 2 employees that make these seats. With all being said, I have never witnessed a situation where these seats have had to come back for repair or exchange because of not fitting on the bike or being able to access the bags. (After the initial 6, that is.) I checked with our Technician and he said that his experience with this seat is the same.

opas ride
06-03-2015, 06:59 PM
I dropped a line to Mustang the other day in reference to the fitting of the seat, and got a very helpful reply back from Gwen White, the details are below, may be of some help to others on the forum.

As an aside, I've read most of the forum posts regarding the fitting of the Mustang seat and I'm intending to try all the suggestions at one time, such as, reaming out the bolt holes, using anti-seize, the original bolts with a small taper and Gwen's suggestion of tightening each bolt a little at a time. The seat hasn't arrived yet so I'm still in the planning stage so wish me luck. Damn the seat does look good though.

Hi Gwen, many thanks for your update.
While i am impressed with the style of this saddle, I am very concerned after reading reports on the F6B forum regarding the difficulty that the majority of members have had in fitting the seat to their Honda F6B. Has the fitting problem been addressed and rectified or am i looking forward to a frustrating time trying to make the seat fit? The fact that i am in Australia will make it difficult to return the item if i discover that i cannot fit it.
Your suggestions regarding this matter would be very much appreciated.

Regards and best
Chris
Before you install the Mustang seat order the "new and updated" tapered seat bolts from Rick at Value Accessories and your install will be much easier and far less frustrating...I speak from experience with my seat, but with the new bolts in work super...Some have had luck with the stock seat bolts, but these newer tapered ones are longer and do the job....You will love the Mustang seat......

Hi Chris,

The F6B seat is a very tight fit and can be difficult to install. Many customers call because they have trouble opening or closing their lids.

This can be rectified by loosening all 4 allen bolts and centering the seat on the bike. Slowly tighten each of the 4 bolts a small amount each time; checking to make sure that both lids are able to open. If lids on one side are not able to open, adjust the seat slightly. This technique will keep the seat in proper alignment and assure that you will be able to gain access to both bags.

We also show mounting instructions for our seats on our website. Go to www.mustantseats.com and enter the part number in the upper right hand corner “Search Box”. You will see a page that gives the seat description and a picture of the seat. Under the picture is a link that says “More Info”. If you click on that link, it will bring up another page (similar to the first) that will also have a link under the picture that says “Mounting Instructions”.

As I mentioned before, the seat can be difficult to install. When we first made this seat last year, we did decide to recall the seats. The seats were fitting the bikes, but the customers were having so much trouble getting into their saddlebags that they had to take their seats off. The recall affected our first 6 customers, so we were able to easily get the seats back for rework.

The seats are as difficult to build as they are to install and we only have 2 employees that make these seats. With all being said, I have never witnessed a situation where these seats have had to come back for repair or exchange because of not fitting on the bike or being able to access the bags. (After the initial 6, that is.) I checked with our Technician and he said that his experience with this seat is the same.

Before you install the Mustang seat order the new style tapered and longer seat bolts from Rick at Value Accessories...It makes the install much easier and less of a hassle...I know some have used the stock bolts, but these aftermarket ones make a world of difference when removing and re-installing the seat....Pay attention to the info from Mustang work each bolt slowly and you should have no issues....

cosborn
06-03-2015, 08:19 PM
Cheers Opas, will do.

It will be interesting to see how it goes, i have picked up so many hints, hopefully if i combine them all. Lets see.

Chris

wildrooster
06-03-2015, 09:04 PM
I installed my seat using the stock bolts at first since the replacement bolts took a little longer to get here. But the seat is a great one. I am going to put the one I have through its paces next week on a long ride

srt8-in-largo
06-03-2015, 09:53 PM
Good stuff Chris; here's to everything working out for ya.

Steve 0080
06-03-2015, 09:57 PM
Cosborn, when I installed my seat, I put painters tape on the sides of the bike and marked where the holes where... as I positioned the seat, I ran a screwdriver into each hole...when all four holes had a screwdriver in them, I then started with the bolts...one at a time...got it on the first try !!! Goodluck !!!

cosborn
06-04-2015, 12:15 AM
I'll try the same Steve, thanks

Chris

Hardrock
06-04-2015, 07:08 AM
Does anyone else have a Mustang seat that doesn't seem to come forward enough to the tank area? Mine has a slight gap, and there are some black nubs on the tank that show. I contacted Mustang, but they basically said I was S.O.L. because I wasn't the original owner. Seat was less than a year old though at the time.

JackB
06-04-2015, 07:24 AM
Does anyone else have a Mustang seat that doesn't seem to come forward enough to the tank area? Mine has a slight gap, and there are some black nubs on the tank that show. I contacted Mustang, but they basically said I was S.O.L. because I wasn't the original owner. Seat was less than a year old though at the time.

Yes I can see the black nubs on the tank nut it's not noticeable to others.
I cleaned out the bolt holes and it helped a lot.
Love the seat.

opas ride
06-04-2015, 08:45 AM

Mine exposes these "nubs" just a little..Unless one really looks closely they are hardly noticeable...Only the owner/rider might see them...No big deal and the seat works great.....

98valk
06-04-2015, 10:13 AM
On mine, the left nub shows more than the right - not much.

I can push the seat forward far enough to cover them, but then the bolts don't line up.

BTW; after the year or so that I have had this seat, taking it off and putting it on is a piece of cake now. The foam has conformed to the hand rails.

If Mustang is listening or cares, just make the rear of the seat thinner and we won't have trouble with the first install. There is no reason to have the hand rail jammed against the seat like that. :shrug:

toy_collector
06-04-2015, 09:00 PM
As others have said get the pointy bolts for the seat. I also recommend putting a little lubricant on the bolts before installing them so they won't gall. Don't use a power driver, you will strip the very soft threads in the bike. (don't ask me how I know this) I can remove and install the seat in under 10 min using these tips. Very easy now.

ChubbyDodds
06-05-2015, 09:18 PM
Tried and failed the get my Mustang seat installed this evening. I couldn't even get the bolts started without the grab rails. I tried screwdrivers and every curse word I've even known. I'll try it again tomorrow!! :icon_redface:

bob109
06-05-2015, 10:08 PM
To improve seat installation, be it the stock or aftermarket, make sure you re-tap the frame seat bosses. Mine were contaminated with "Powder Coat" overspray. A quick cleanup of the bosses and chasing the bolts with a thread die does wonders in easing seat removal and installation. Here's the Post with pics:039:

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?3883-Seat-Installation-Improvement

hiflyer
06-05-2015, 10:16 PM
Tried and failed the get my Mustang seat installed this evening. I couldn't even get the bolts started without the grab rails. I tried screwdrivers and every curse word I've even known. I'll try it again tomorrow!! :icon_redface:

After chasing and tapping the threads like Bob said, put a dab of never seize on the seat bolts too, run 'em in without the seat on and take them back out, never an issue again.

DaWadd
06-05-2015, 10:20 PM

Make sure you get the nose of the seat engaged with the seat bracket on the bike. If not the seat will never line up.

ChubbyDodds
06-06-2015, 12:28 AM
Typed a long response only to lose it on submit!! The gist - bolts (OEM and pointy) are difficult to thread even without the seat. I'll tap these out tomorrow and use some never seize. I think I have one of the bikes with the powder coating in the threads. '15 model, by the way.

ChubbyDodds
06-06-2015, 12:47 AM
Thanks everyone for the great tips and advice!! Wonderful collective knowledge here! .notworthy.

cosborn
06-06-2015, 03:27 AM
Best of luck for tomorrow. Boy I'm really looking forward to my go.

Chris

bob109
06-06-2015, 05:33 AM
Typed a long response only to lose it on submit!! The gist - bolts (OEM and pointy) are difficult to thread even without the seat. I'll tap these out tomorrow and use some never seize. I think I have one of the bikes with the powder coating in the threads. '15 model, by the way.

Make sure you "chase" the treads on the bolts. You'll be amazed at the amount of metal that comes off the OEM bolts. From a machinist standpoint, the seat bosses and bolts are not close to being a "Class A Fit":icon_wink: As stated, finish up with a dab of Never Seize to the bolt treads:039:

Vondawg
06-06-2015, 05:58 AM
Removing my seat this weekend armed with all this great advise/experience ...many thanks!

ChubbyDodds
06-06-2015, 03:20 PM
Make sure you "chase" the treads on the bolts. You'll be amazed at the amount of metal that comes off the OEM bolts. From a machinist standpoint, the seat bosses and bolts are not close to being a "Class A Fit":icon_wink: As stated, finish up with a dab of Never Seize to the bolt treads:039:

Thanks again for the excellent advice. I have the tap and die ready as well as the never seize. I have one more errand to run today then I'm back at the task at hand. My neighbors likely appreciate all your help as well as it should keep the commentary coming from the garage down to a PG level anyway! :icon_razz:

ChubbyDodds
06-06-2015, 10:08 PM
Tapped the bosses and chased the threads. Applied a little Never Seize The bolts without the seat go in free and easy. Great tip!!

Got the front of the seat in place and confirmed it is as snug as it gets. The shorter left side bolt went right in through the grab rail and seat. Snugged it a bit and was able to line up the side case release and the little tab on the back no issue. The front bolt, however, will not find its perch. There doesn't seem to be any direction up, down, left, right and combo of those that will work.

I need to have a buddy come over tomorrow so he can probably get it to go right in and ask me what the problem was!! :icon_razz:

Until then, I am done messing with it for the evening. Maybe it's safe with just one side rail and bolt? LOL

ChubbyDodds
06-07-2015, 02:52 PM
Managed to install the Mustang seat Sunday morning and just returned from a test ride. What a great seat!! Well worth the effort it took me which I am more than willing to admit being my ineptitude rather than anything else wrong. For me, it took a combination of the tapered and the OEM bolts to get everything set. Sometimes the OEM bolt would be the only one that would work and sometimes the tapered. Took a bit of trial and error to come up with the right combination.

I absolutely recommend following the members' great advice and tapping the thread bosses and chasing the threads on the bolts. A dab of Never Seize and the bolts (when finally lined up with everything) tighten right up. Without the thread cleanup, I guarantee I would have cross threaded or mangled something beyond recognition.

The seat is awesome. Eliminates my thoughts about a driver's backrest as the seat is shaped perfectly. I'm 5'11 with a 30" inseam, for reference. I seem to have slightly shorter arms than most but found the reach to the handlebars absolutely perfect. I couldn't be happier!!

I may consider selling the bike before removing and installing that seat again, though!! JOKE!!! :icon_razz:

cosborn
06-07-2015, 03:03 PM
Fantastic mate, really happy for you. Mustang are still making my seat (on back order) don't know how long it will take to reach Australia by camel but I'm looking forward to the day even more now.

As i said previously, I will try all your fitting suggestions and if they work for me I'll send our collective suggestions to Mustang.

Chris

cosborn
06-26-2015, 08:34 PM
Sorry to all if i've posted this twice.

Well my new deluxe seat arrived at 1230 today and it was installed by 1500, I think that must almost be a record, having ached over the possibility that i would spend days trying to get it to fit, it went on almost without a hitch.
It did take me a while to line up the bolts and i eventually went back to the originals and looking at both types, the originals have a touch more thread on them, may be able to change them later once everything beds in.

So what did i do:

Read all the hints on the forum
Removed the old seat
Marked the bolt holes with painters tape
Tapped and died the bolts and holes, this made a big difference
Started all the bolts
Checked that the panniers opened
then put the rails on
Checked that the panniers opened again
tightened all bolts fairly tight, i will keep tightening them as the seat beds in

Now i've got to wait 3 days as my driveway has just been concreted, oh well i can still sit on it.

Chris