PDA

View Full Version : Who runs a Belly Pan.....and why

Vondawg
06-04-2015, 08:19 AM
Other than the obvious - protection - I'm interested in installed belly pans ? I've searched and haven't found a lot said....and some have removed them. louvered, armor plated, stainless ?? Are they worth the bother...is it easier the put on the lift ?? CAN YOU lift with it on?? I read the tips on installing w/scissor jack, but just don't here it talked about much.

Fla_rider
06-04-2015, 08:46 AM
I have the black one. Dicked it up trying to get it on a Harley trailer a little. Still works it just saved my frame. Some say it helps with aerodynamics, others say it holds in heat. I don't know if I notice any difference. It's easy to move out of the way when changing the oil filter. It blends nicely with the bike. I'd say it's mostly for looks and you can barely notice it. It's not that much money so what the heck.

Steve 0080
06-04-2015, 09:43 AM
Why not?????

http://wingstuff.com/products/36093-macgyver-diamond-plated-belly-pan-for-gl1800-f6b?from_search=1

Fla_rider
06-04-2015, 10:21 AM
OR the Black one!

http://wingstuff.com/products/35138-black-anodized-belly-pan-fits-goldwing-f6b?context=accessories-f6b

Madmax
06-04-2015, 10:44 AM
I was thinking of the McGuyver , had one on a wing a few bikes back .

bobbyf6b
06-04-2015, 10:50 AM
I still need to fix mine. The little screws that hold the two pieces together stripped out.

The only drawback I had was it would scrape on speed bumps. After I bumped up the rear suspension preload it wasn't as bad.

Hornblower
06-04-2015, 01:15 PM
Question from the OP is why did I add the bellypan...maybe the obvious answer would be to add protection for the oil filter, coolant tank, and engine underside. I also like that it keeps the engine underside cleaner. Frankly, I just don't see any downside to it.

bobbyf6b
06-04-2015, 01:49 PM
Question from the OP is why did I add the bellypan...maybe the obvious answer would be to add protection for the oil filter, coolant tank, and engine underside. I also like that it keeps the engine underside cleaner. Frankly, I just don't see any downside to it.

+1

Vondawg
06-04-2015, 01:54 PM
Much appreciated ! About the only thing not mentioned is the lifting aspect....But as I look, it's attached to the frame and maybe the middle rests on the engine (?) so it's strong enough ? ?Just seems like a lot of weight.....I guess best case scenario have a lift that's lifts both wheels.

Greg O
06-04-2015, 08:13 PM
Can you still have a center stand with a belly pan?

53driver
06-04-2015, 09:32 PM
Can you still have a center stand with a belly pan?

Yup.

shooter
06-04-2015, 10:20 PM
OK so I've been wanting to get one. Which is the 'preferred' pan. I like the louvered stainless one.

Steve 0080
06-05-2015, 12:16 AM
Much appreciated ! About the only thing not mentioned is the lifting aspect....But as I look, it's attached to the frame and maybe the middle rests on the engine (?) so it's strong enough ? ?Just seems like a lot of weight.....I guess best case scenario have a lift that's lifts both wheels.

If you are going to get one ...get the Macgyver pan...you can paint the sides if you want, it is the strongest pan on the market, can easily take lifting the bike with a floor jack... as I posted...why not.... can't think of a reason not to unless you are short on $$$$...Lifting my bike is the main reason I installed one...protection of the soft parts came second...

sandragggen
06-05-2015, 12:52 AM
I've heard some mention that a belly pan helps stabilize the bike with strong side winds.

flat6bagger
06-05-2015, 06:10 AM
I would like someone to take a temp readings with a laser temp gauge.
One at the side just under the cowl with it on and another in the same location with it off.
I would be interested to see if there is a significant increase in temperature at idle, such as stop lights,etc. with the pan being installed.
I don't need any more heat on my legs when stopped.
That is the only down side I could imagine for having one installed.
More curious than anything since no one seems to complain about it.

Doug

Madmax
06-05-2015, 07:07 AM
I actually put some extra holes in my pan using a Uni bit added some air flow and will do the same once I get around to ordering another pan .

Steve 0080
06-05-2015, 08:18 AM
I would like someone to take a temp readings with a laser temp gauge.
One at the side just under the cowl with it on and another in the same location with it off.
I would be interested to see if there is a significant increase in temperature at idle, such as stop lights,etc. with the pan being installed.
I don't need any more heat on my legs when stopped.
That is the only down side I could imagine for having one installed.
More curious than anything since no one seems to complain about it.

Doug

Can't answer that...I will tell you the big bitch is hot, and hot all the time!!!!!

bigbird
06-05-2015, 08:35 AM
Blocking the air from laminar flow under the engine stops the crankcase (read oil sump) and exhaust pipes from shedding heat.
That cannot be a good thing.

Mr.Roberts
06-12-2015, 08:37 AM
Blocking the air from laminar flow under the engine stops the crankcase (read oil sump) and exhaust pipes from shedding heat.
That cannot be a good thing.

imho, a belly pan actually smooths out the air flow under the bike and between the pan and engine. Directing air flow up against the sump and coolant tank as well as the pan acting like a heat sink. My two bobs worth.

BIGLRY
06-12-2015, 10:17 AM
imho, a belly pan actually smooths out the air flow under the bike and between the pan and engine. Directing air flow up against the sump and coolant tank as well as the pan acting like a heat sink. My two bobs worth.:icon_rolleyes:Hummm you may have something there.
I'm curious and would like to see how the wind really goes around, under and over a F6B/Goldwing. Anyone seen any test done in a wind tunnel with smoke on a Goldwing?
I do run a belly pan with louvers and felt it has helped in bad cross winds or when passing an 18 wheeler going in the opposite direction on a two lane road.

Hornblower
06-12-2015, 10:40 AM
:agree:, BGLRY. It's hard to say exactly what effect, temperature-wise, the BP makes. In my case, with the Macgyver BP mounted up close and actually in contact with the exhaust and other hot parts, it may be acting as a radiator of sorts :shrug:.

BIGLRY
06-12-2015, 11:04 AM
:agree:, BGLRY. It's hard to say exactly what effect, temperature-wise, the BP makes. In my case, with the Macgyver BP mounted up close and actually in contact with the exhaust and other hot parts, it may be acting as a radiator of sorts :shrug:.
The BP if touching hot parts in your case could be a big heat sink sucking the heat away.:shrug:

Hornblower
06-12-2015, 11:53 AM
The BP if touching hot parts in your case could be a big heat sink sucking the heat away.:shrug:

Yeah, BIGLRY, I like that theory! Let's go with it :yes:

53driver
06-12-2015, 12:35 PM

I need to go look at what "hot parts" are actually in physical contact.
I got this strictly for protection of the underside.

stroguy
06-12-2015, 02:52 PM
In the electronics world it would be called an insulator. Not to be sour juice but I like the pan for protection but would weigh in on the side that heat would not be sinked away but kept from escaping. What are the hot components underneath the pan and how hot are they? Maybe I need to borrowsteal a IR thermometer and check some temps. I don't think a pan causes undo increases to the underbelly components temps.

bigbird
06-12-2015, 04:53 PM
Maybe I need to borrowsteal a IR thermometer and check some temps. I don't think a pan causes undo increases to the underbelly components temps.

I would also like to see some actual temps of the sump with and without a BP.
To me, the insulating effect of a louvered piece of sheet metal over the exhaust pipes and oil sump would trump any heat loss due to conduction of heat to the BP.
Logic tells me that the engine's cooling system would have to work a lot harder with a BP in place.

Mr.Roberts
06-12-2015, 06:00 PM
I would also like to see some actual temps of the sump with and without a BP.
To me, the insulating effect of a louvered piece of sheet metal over the exhaust pipes and oil sump would trump any heat loss due to conduction of heat to the BP.
Logic tells me that the engine's cooling system would have to work a lot harder with a BP in place.

My thinking is the air under the bike would be very turbulent because of the uneven area, the BP would to some extent smooth this path. Do you think air rushing past would create
a ventury affect and suck hot air away.:shrug:

53driver
06-12-2015, 06:08 PM
I about went out and purchased an IR thermometer after reading this.
I have the Showchrome black BP on a 2014 D.

Anyone else have a 2014 D with an IR thermometer? We can compare temps.

Now to get opinions on the data points.....

My thinking......
Actually take the readings on (parts visible with a BP installed)
1. oil filter at 6 o'clock from the front
2. aft on the BP, center of the BP
3. aft bolt that holds the BP in place on the starboard side
4. The center thingy in the front that looks like Ironman's heart (the crankcase cover) at the 12 o'clock position.

Dynamics:
1. Shade, idle until the fans come on.
2. A 10 minute 40 mph neighborhood ride with nice easy shifting.
3. A 10 minute "spirited" ride with RPMs and shifting and other such things - making the fans cycle a few times kinda thing
4. Shade, bike off, at 1 minute, again at 15 minutes and then 30 minutes to check dissipation

So, 4 data points at four dynamic intervals.

I'm NOT a systems engineer or even a decent wrench, and certainly not a proud author, so I'll take any suggestions on where to take a reading or if there's a better methodology as to what to do prior to taking a reading.

Standing by....

stroguy
06-12-2015, 06:16 PM
How hard is it to remove the shield(s). Plural for the different styles. Shooting an IR reading of a nonBP at the different areas would give a baseline to be used against a BP bike in which the temps of the same areas below the BP can be readily made. I think our quest is; does the heat shield insulate or evacuate or does nothing? I guess if the IR is shot at the BP in the same locations you may read similar temps, but does it tell us what the temp of the components under the shield are?

53driver
06-12-2015, 07:02 PM
How hard is it to remove the shield(s). Plural for the different styles. Shooting an IR reading of a nonBP at the different areas would give a baseline to be used against a BP bike in which the temps of the same areas below the BP can be readily made. I think our quest is; does the heat shield insulate or evacuate or does nothing? I guess if the IR is shot at the BP in the same locations you may read similar temps, but does it tell us what the temp of the components under the shield are?

That's why I was trying to pick points that would show a variation in heat that I could get to without removing and reinstalling the pan.
I'll look at the holes in the BP, maybe there's some way to shoot through them to get to "warmer parts."

To answer your question though, it can take some futzing with to reinstall.
And to be honest, it takes more time than I am willing to devote.

stroguy
06-12-2015, 07:18 PM
Agreed on removing. If it's perforated that will work.

Like the dynamics testing.

Maybe we can do something like this.

http://youtu.be/MkhH3nl0glc

98valk
06-12-2015, 08:43 PM
This is a fun and interesting thread. But come on guys, you could put on a belly pan and stuff it with R15 insulation and not hurt the bike. It is a regulated water cooled engine, and you are just splitting hairs on "is it a bit cooler or not with a belly pan".

There was a thread on a different site about whether cooler was actually better or not. It had some good points.

Again, a fun and interesting thread, but really ..... :icon_doh:

stroguy
06-12-2015, 08:47 PM
Curiosity, pure unbridled male curiosity. I agree with you but don't tell the others.

BIGLRY
06-12-2015, 09:51 PM
This is a fun and interesting thread. But come on guys, you could put on a belly pan and stuff it with R15 insulation and not hurt the bike. It is a regulated water cooled engine, and you are just splitting hairs on "is it a bit cooler or not with a belly pan".

There was a thread on a different site about whether cooler was actually better or not. It had some good points.

Again, a fun and interesting thread, but really ..... :icon_doh:
You my friend are 100% correct, it is a liquid cooled engine, not air cooled.:yes:
As long as there is coolant in the engine, coolant pump is working and radiators are flowing air the engine will only get so hot and you do want it hot(operating temperature) for max efficiency also that's why there is a thermostat in the cooling system to make sure it stays that way.:icon_biggrin:

I never worried about any heat issues when I considered installing a BP on my F, my sole reason for the BP install was to see if the BP would help stability in strong cross winds and IMO for me it has and why I posted "I'm curious and would like to see how the wind really goes around, under and over a F6B/Goldwing".
I believe the heat issue & BP is a non-issue on this engine........:301:

bigbird
06-12-2015, 11:34 PM
Do you think air rushing past would create a venturi affect and suck hot air away.:shrug:

I really don't know.
I'm very interested to see 53D's IR readings, especially oil sump external temps.
That should put an end to all speculation.
For Big Larry, I concur about the rad's being able to dissipate all the engine's heat. They're designed to adequately cool the engine in the desert's highest temps with no air flow except that created by the electric fans.
My concern would be for the rubber hoses, exhaust pipes, gaskets, oil filter gasket, and anything else under the engine not directly cooled by the engine's cooling system.