PDA

View Full Version : Traffic lights won't trigger to green

flat6bagger
06-05-2015, 06:32 AM
I know this topic has had to be covered before, but I can't find it during a search.
I can not get most traffic lights to trigger to green when sitting at them waiting.
Has anyone figured out a way to get them to change?
I tried the super strog magnets being mounted underneath my Royal Star Venture.
Those only worked if the sensors were in the pavement and only about 50% of the time at best.
In Illinois you can turn left on red if it doesn't trigger.
That doesn't help if you want to go straight.

Doug

wjduke
06-05-2015, 06:45 AM
Can't speak for all states, but here you can also go through the red light after a reasonable stop and obviously when safe to do so. It's an aggravation for sure, esp. if it's a busy intersection and it's not too safe.

stroguy
06-05-2015, 08:38 AM
Are you centered on the loop? Or do you stop on the seam that is running parallel with your line of travel? Holding over the perpendicular seam does not work very well. Placement directly over the parallel seam is the only best option. Even performing that there are one or two that seem to be against my will.

tozco
06-05-2015, 08:42 AM
Some you can't even see the seams. Luckily, you can go through in WA state.

Madmax
06-05-2015, 08:54 AM
Most of my goldwings never had a problem , my understanding its a magnetic field that sense's the presence of a vehicle . Here in PA with my lite bikes never seems to trigger the lights . I have tried the rare earth magnets from a hard drive stuck to the bottom of a bike that was a no go .

wjduke
06-05-2015, 09:02 AM
I've tried rolling back and forth, just about everything. Keep in mind, I had an M109, so I guess this bike isn't any different.

Reedman71
06-05-2015, 09:05 AM
PA currently has legislation pending on this topic. You can be cited for going through a red and you can be cited for getting off your bike to push the sidewalk button. I know the lights in my area that do not work for motorcycles and I make right turns when caught.

This does not answer your original question though. I have tried to use different positioning to affect the sensors in the road. I have tried turing the engine off and on to create an electrical pulse. Neither of these seem to work. The only thing that works is to move forward enough so that the car behind can move up and trigger the sensor. This does not help anyone studk at a light with no other traffic around.

As a side note, If I had to go through a red light because it would not change AND if a cop tried to cite me, I would think that a case could be made for the light malfunctioning since the sensor did not detect my presence.

Doc

stroguy
06-05-2015, 09:12 AM
Don't know about you folks and your areas, but these days it appears traffic citations are a thing of the past. I see so many red light runners, stop sign blow offs, turning left from the right lane and on and on. Never do the police seem interested in these offences. I was nearly T-BONED yesterday in my cage turning left into the golf course. I get the green arrow and a Chrysler 300 driver, jerking themselves off, blows through the opposing red light. I have seen this several times and was ready for it. Crazy drivers around here in Houston.

Chrysler 300 drivers are the worst.

Retired Army
06-05-2015, 09:37 AM
I have heard that installing oil filter magnets help. Hard to come by any iron in all the Tupperware and aluminum on the B.

Dirtstiff's F6B
06-05-2015, 12:00 PM
Belly pan helps.

Fla_rider
06-05-2015, 12:04 PM
Belly pan helps.

+1 Another good reason to get a belly pan! :clap2:

flat6bagger
06-05-2015, 12:33 PM
I am not asking to be a jerk.
I really can't figure out how this makes a difference.
How would a belly pan make a difference?
They are made pf aluminum correct?
I thought the grid was a magnetic field,so to speak.
A magnetic field would not pick up aluminum.
Just curious what would make it trigger the light sensor.

Doug

radi0chik
06-05-2015, 01:00 PM
http://wingstuff.com/products/24485-performance-stainless-belly-pan-for-gl1800-w-oversize-fasteners?context=belly_pans

Some of them are steel.

I've never had a problem on my f6 with triggering any lights. On my old 750 shadow? Sure. But as long as I ride up on the parallel line in the lane (as someone else stated above), I always trigger it. I just last weekend installed my belly pan.

Steve 0080
06-05-2015, 01:19 PM
There a trick to everything...the trick is ..... to pull up BEHIND the stop bar and NOT move !!!!!:cop2:

flat6bagger
06-05-2015, 01:25 PM
Steve, I do that and it still does not trigger the light.

Doug

Hornblower
06-05-2015, 02:48 PM
Pull off my Macgyver belly pan and you will find one of these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWK1Hp5VHjQ

Frankly, a device like this may be a sort of "snake oil" but I will have to say, I rarely have a problem with triggering lights :shrug:. Disclaimer: I also have MANY aftermarket accessories which could also affect triggering.

cosborn
06-05-2015, 04:06 PM
If we find a set of traffic lights that the bike won't trip we can call the Roads & Traffic authority and they will re-set them. Maybe you could do the same.

Chris

shooter
06-05-2015, 04:20 PM
I think its you little guys. I'm 6'1" and 290. They trigger for me every time. I bet they change for Big Larry from 50ft. back. Not talking bad about you Big. Just sayin maybe these guys need to eat some meat and potatoes.

Travelor
06-05-2015, 04:36 PM
Has anybody tried putting the kickstand down while waiting at the light. The steel that much lower down might trigger the magnetic field.

stroguy
06-05-2015, 04:53 PM
I think its you little guys. I'm 6'1" and 290. They trigger for me every time. I bet they change for Big Larry from 50ft. back. Not talking bad about you Big. Just sayin maybe these guys need to eat some meat and potatoes.

I figure it is your heart of lead.

flat6bagger
06-05-2015, 04:58 PM
I just may have solved my own problem.
I just got done installing my new center stand.
Maybe that will trigger it.

Doug

stroguy
06-05-2015, 05:05 PM
Remember the key is to interfere with the smooth flow of eddy currents through the loop buried in the lane. As much ferrous mass as possible over the loop is the answer. But even placing as much mass over the maximum length of wire in the loop may not trigger the current sensor.

mtcgun
06-05-2015, 10:03 PM
http://www.carinsurance.com/Articles/states-where-motorcycles-run-red-lights-legally.aspx

stroguy
06-05-2015, 10:16 PM
Great find. No TEXAS, but a great find

hiflyer
06-05-2015, 10:20 PM
Great find. No TEXAS, but a great find

I proceeded thru a red light just tonight, and the guy in the car behind me honked at me for doing it. Ignorance of the law can make ignorant people mad.

Yep, shooter and I are legal in our states stro!

BIGLRY
06-05-2015, 10:31 PM
I never have any problems tripping the red lights, but then I carry my pistol holstered under my frame.:shhh:
http://www.strangemilitary.com/images/content/129265.jpg

okiedoc
06-05-2015, 10:47 PM
Has anybody tried putting the kickstand down while waiting at the light. The steel that much lower down might trigger the magnetic field.

I use this trick all the time on my ST1300, works well for me. Haven't had an issue on the F6B but I haven't had it long either.

Steve 0080
06-05-2015, 11:21 PM
Remember the key is to interfere with the smooth flow of eddy currents through the loop buried in the lane. As much ferrous mass as possible over the loop is the answer. But even placing as much mass over the maximum length of wire in the loop may not trigger the current sensor.

this is the answer , that and not moving...if you move the light thinks you have gone...at least here in FLA... here you can see where the loop was cut into the roadway and try to stop on top on one...

flat6bagger
06-06-2015, 07:04 AM
this is the answer , that and not moving...if you move the light thinks you have gone...at least here in FLA... here you can see where the loop was cut into the roadway and try to stop on top on one...

The majority of ours look like a rectangle.
Are you saying that I should stop in the middle of that rectangle?
I'm confused.
Doug

jaygollner
06-06-2015, 07:56 AM
I have two of these magnets on the frame rolled just inside the lowest point on the frame right under the seat and never have a problem. They work by affecting the induction loop in the pavement. For extra holding power I used a small amount of epoxy to make a permanent install, they also sell round magnets that seem perfect for oil filters.

http://www.wikihow.com/Trigger-Green-Traffic-Lights

Understand how "demand-actuated" traffic signals work. These are traffic lights that will only turn green when a vehicle is sensed, usually to allow the vehicle to cross a street or make a left turn. At problematic traffic lights, look for a loop of wire buried in the pavement of the road near the stop line. This is called an "inductive-loop traffic detector" that works somewhat like a metal detector, sensing any conductive metal (aluminum, steel, iron, etc.). Sometimes, these sensors are improperly designed or adjusted, so they don't pick up on the presence of a smaller vehicle. These sensors do not detect the weight of a vehicle, but rather sense how much it disturbs an electromagnetic field. Once tripped, the signal will begin the light switching process using pre-programmed rules (within 30 seconds, usually less).

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=BY042

Dimensions: 2" x 1/4" x 1/8" thick
Tolerances: ±0.004" x ±0.004" x ±0.004"
Material: NdFeB, Grade N42
Plating/Coating: Ni-Cu-Ni (Nickel)
Magnetization Direction: Thru Thickness
Weight: 0.271 oz. (7.68 g)
Pull Force, Case 1: 10.34 lbs
Pull Force, Case 2: 40.06 lbs
Surface Field: 3332 Gauss
Max Operating Temp: 176ºF (80ºC)
Brmax: 13,200 Gauss
BHmax: 42 MGOe
These long blocks are great for a variety of applications. The BY042 is a very powerful block that will pinch fingers and/or break if mishandled.

This size is also available in High Temp N42SH as part number BY042SH.

Steve 0080
06-06-2015, 08:02 AM
The majority of ours look like a rectangle.
Are you saying that I should stop in the middle of that rectangle?
I'm confused.
Doug

No... stop on top of one of the lines in the road... all these lights are operated by a PC... so it senses when you are there, if you move it thinks you have left and will not change the light

flat6bagger
06-06-2015, 10:14 AM
Awesome.
Thanks Steve.
I think you just answered why my bike does not set them off.
I always am in the middle.:icon_redface:

Doug

stroguy
06-06-2015, 11:30 AM
Awesome.
Thanks Steve.
I think you just answered why my bike does not set them off.
I always am in the middle.:icon_redface:

Doug

That's the answer. Pull up on top of the line to the left or right of the square and stop on top of it. Usually works every time for me but there is one stubborn one by the airport that gets me.