PDA

View Full Version : Cover to cover, Flat six width?

Scotrod
07-25-2013, 03:30 PM
I've got one bum knee and another bad one,,, :shock:

Had a VTX1800C years ago,,, Wasn't real fond of pegs. Last bike was a Stratoliner with Floorboards,,, Nice improvement,,,
Due to a collision, I may very well be 'transitioning' from a V-twin Cruiser to a F6B. I'm hoping that my knees will agree,,,

Took some measurements at the Dealer yesterday so I could mock-up / practice the 'F6 straddle' at home.
I came up with roughly 28 inches wide cover to cover,,, Am I close?

Also have 30-32 inches of inseam. Looks like a heel on the peg and the ball of my foot on (?!?!?) outside the rear of the valve cover could be an option, with 'full on' straddle near the rear of the covers yet another option.

Would also prefer that the (?!?!?), if pegs, would be slightly angled rearward instead of perpendicular to the crankshaft.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

Steve 0080
07-25-2013, 04:53 PM
Most of those issues can be address with after market items.... Welcome!!!

Bruce B
07-25-2013, 06:11 PM
You might find that you'd like the Kury Mini-Boards. They are 3/4 lower than the stock pegs giving you a little more legroom. They're also adjustable fore and aft so you can get the right placement not only for comfort, but also for the relationship you want with the shifter and brake pedal. I like them a lot but was also quite happy with the OEM pegs.

My inseam is 30-31 inches and I can relate to the knee issues. At age 70, I've had three total knee replacements and find the bike to be very comfortable. In deference to the knees though, I did finally give up my skydiving a couple months ago. Had enjoyed that for many years but decided it was time to be a bit prudent with the knees. Consoled myself by trading the '03 Valkyrie for the F6B

Scotrod
07-25-2013, 07:39 PM
Yes sir, the K - Mini boards are already on my 'If I buy a F6B" short list,,,

Adding 'Swing wings' to the VTX and placing my foot over the entire peg/wing at once was probably the best improvement I made regarding leg/knee comfort.

Lotsa variables involved, and hard to tell without trying some things first hand over extended rides',,, but I'm encouraged by the amount of aftermarket stuff available for Wings/6's. I can only make assumptions at this time, but thinking a ~small~ out-board cruise board or something I could use at the same time 'in tandem' with the Mini's or on its own might be helpful. I'm not 'leggy' enough to reach as far forward as some items appear to be.

Been through Wingstuff,,, Also researched the Mick O Pegs a little,,,

That is one of the (many) factors that has me leaning towards a 6,,, Aftermarket parts availability.

After the Strat, I was tempted to try one of those "#2 rated" American V-twins. While the aftermarket parts for those V's are more available now than ever been, they still have a loooooong way to go to 'catch-up'.

Regardless, I'm here to learn what I can about the 6 and go from there. :yes: