PDA

View Full Version : Rear Backrest clarification!!

Duneaholic
06-05-2015, 12:04 PM
First post by the way::: I recently purchased an 2013 F6B (brand new in the crate) from my local Honda dealer and want to add the factory rear seat back rest. I see all sorts of prices. My confusion is does it take two kits to accomplish this? One for the lower brackets that are below the hand holds. Then one for the upper assembly? If so that gets pretty pricey just to add that backrest!!:yikes:

Retired Army
06-05-2015, 01:18 PM
Welcome here's to many years of enjoyment on your purchase. Did the dealer give you a price for the parts? The standard model requires color matched Tupperware parts to install the Honda backrest.

Steve 0080
06-05-2015, 01:23 PM
Check Ebay !!!!!

srt8-in-largo
06-05-2015, 01:25 PM
Welcome aboard Dune!

Two kits? What are you calling kits... you need the backrest, obviously, and then the bracket kit. There's a Honda instructional pdf floating around here somewhere.

ths61
06-05-2015, 01:30 PM
Here are the parts (mounting bracket, tupperware plate and backrest):

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTYwMFgxMDIw/z/CSEAAMXQySpRXc4y/$T2eC16N,!)QE9s3HD)CvBR(c4)5d,g~~60_57.JPG

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTA2NlgxNjAw/z/kNIAAMXQEgpTGMAX/$_57.JPG

buda315
06-06-2015, 04:09 PM
The parts shown are 100% correct. My suggestion is to not buy the Honda OEM mount kit (which is the steel part that bolts directly to the bike underneath the plastic top panels.

You can buy Show Chrome Rack Mount Kit Black Powder Coat 52-830M for $27 from the The Goldwing Place on Amazon. $27 compared to over $120 for stock Honda, Big difference. You will need an additional four bolts M8 x 1.25mm x 25mm + four 8mm washers if they are not included with the purchase of the top v-shaped bracket and backrest.

Honda of Russellville sells brand new backrest for like $358 on ebay. They were removed for Trike conversions. I'm not sure if those kits include the mentioned mount kit and/or mounting bolts, but you could call to ask them.

Further, it is not necessary to buy "new" top plastic panels, but you will have to open up two holes in your existing pieces to make room for the protruding arm mounts and bolts.

I used a step-bit. The hardest part is locating where to put the holes. I used a template that I found online, but it was off and I had to elongate holes to actually make it work. Don't be too worried if you go bigger than needed or make a mistake as 96% of the top vanity cover is hidden by the V-shaped bracket that attaches directly to the backrest.

Good luck.

Here are the parts (mounting bracket, tupperware plate and backrest):

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTYwMFgxMDIw/z/CSEAAMXQySpRXc4y/$T2eC16N,!)QE9s3HD)CvBR(c4)5d,g~~60_57.JPG

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTA2NlgxNjAw/z/kNIAAMXQEgpTGMAX/$_57.JPG

Duneaholic
06-08-2015, 09:43 AM
Thanks everyone great information!!

Redlinez
06-14-2015, 07:41 PM
I just installed mine this afternoon using all Honda accessory parts. A few hints: they don't come with instructions. I was told that it did. I did a google search and it brought me here (shocker!) to the accessory luggage rack install instructions. I used those, but it didn't include the part for the backrest. I could do one in 30-45 minutes now that I nuked mine. Another hint, when installing the brackets that go under the seat, make sure to push them as far inboard as they will go, then tighten them down. That's the only way all the bolts will go into the backrest exterior mount......ask me how I know. :icon_wink: I also saw where someone is making a taller seatback mounting plate to raise the height of the seatback for $50, should you think you didn't already spend enough for the seat.......

Duneaholic
07-24-2015, 08:35 AM
I purchased all the parts needed to install the factory backrest finally! Found some good deals on them on Ebay and Amazon. I purchased the backrest assembly from Honda East in Maumee Ohio from Ebay $259.99 shipped. Ironic that they are the closest Honda dealer to me (35 miles). I purchased the brackets needed to mount the backrest from Amazon the Goldwing Place from Florida $26.87 shipped.

That brings the total to $286.86 for the same thing I have seen advertised on Ebay for $599.99.

Now remember the only pieces missing are the plastic covers with the holes through them. I am going to modify my original ones so there will be no cost there.

Fla_rider
07-24-2015, 09:52 AM
wow, glad I bought the Deluxe!:yikes:

Duneaholic
07-24-2015, 10:06 AM
wow, glad I bought the Deluxe!:yikes:

You paid for it in the higher purchase price!!!!

Retired Army
07-24-2015, 10:22 AM
Here is a pic of the extender on my F6B trike my wife loves it and for us is worth the price.

watertowerman
07-25-2015, 09:38 PM
This is what it looks like on my bike. The wife loves it.

Duneaholic
07-30-2015, 09:54 AM
Finally got all the pieces and parts together and installed my stock backrest. Thanks to everyone for their wisdom and part suggestions. Off for a ride tonight to see if the wife is happy about it or if I need to add the extension piece to raise the cushion up. Only real problem I had was getting the rear cover back on over the bosses that stick through for the back rest to attach to. Thanks again for the help everyone!!

richw56
07-30-2015, 11:31 AM
I had a backrest extension installed on my deluxe while up at Laconia last month, and agree with other posters here that it makes a huge difference for the passenger - my girlfriend is way more comfortable, simply due to the backrest being elevated just a matter of a few inches. Now the backrest fits perfectly against the small of her back, giving her much better support and a much greater sense of security.
I picked the extension up at the Ultimate Motorcycle Seats tent at the racetrack at Laconia while my buddies were test riding bikes. Ultimate's president (Des) was there and installed it at no additional charge.
Price was only $45, and the install only took a few minutes. Money very well spent.

Duneaholic
07-31-2015, 03:20 PM
After heading out last night with the wife to the local bike night, the wife likes the height of the stock pad!! I really didn't like the looks of the back rest period but happy wife is happy life lol. So not wanting a tall backrest is fine with me.:clap2: