PDA

View Full Version : Road Damage

jaygollner
06-05-2015, 07:38 PM
While merging onto the highway the other day a truck in the middle lane was in the process of shedding one of it's tires.
I am so glad it hit the lower cowling and not my foot or leg.

Greg O
06-05-2015, 07:52 PM
You have to be so glad it didn't fly up and hit you in the head, you always have to be alert while riding, I'm glad you didn't get hurt. Ride on brother.

srt8-in-largo
06-05-2015, 10:04 PM
Nasty. A little duct tape oughtta fix it up.

Bryster
06-05-2015, 10:12 PM
Ouch, did you have fog lights or did it knock the plastic center cover right out? :shock:

okiedoc
06-05-2015, 10:51 PM
Ouch, if you didn't have them already it looks like it's time for new driving lights.

jaygollner
06-06-2015, 07:42 AM
Ouch, if you didn't have them already it looks like it's time for new driving lights.

That was my thought at first, but after inspection it is clear that I have to replace the cowling due to extensive cracking in it.

seadog
06-06-2015, 07:58 AM
Being an old truck driver I am always alert around them, a tire can seemingly look fine and all of a sudden let go with full 100 pounds of air pressure behind it. Its a killing scenario if your close at hand, you definitely dodge a bullitt there brother glad to hear the parts are the only thing that needs replacing. I get by and away from big trucks as fast as possible and never try drafting on them which I have seen motorcyclist do from time to time. Bad JuJu.:stirthepot:

bobbyf6b
06-06-2015, 08:22 AM
Being an old truck driver I am always alert around them, a tire can seemingly look fine and all of a sudden let go with full 100 pounds of air pressure behind it. Its a killing scenario if your close at hand, you definitely dodge a bullitt there brother glad to hear the parts are the only thing that needs replacing. I get by and away from big trucks as fast as possible and never try drafting on them which I have seen motorcyclist do from time to time. Bad JuJu.:stirthepot:

+1

I got showered in chunks of rubber the other day from a tire that shredded in front of me. Thankfully I was in my truck and not on my bike.

If you're into chrome, now is your excuse to get a chrome cowl.

srt8-in-largo
06-06-2015, 08:23 AM
Drafting a big rig on a bike has to be either one of the dumbest or uninformed decisions possible.

Even when you're not doing that, like with Jay here, you can still catch shrapnel... so +1 on moving past them quickly.

jaygollner
06-06-2015, 11:25 AM

That is a constant battle between me and a few folks I ride with, no matter how many times I tell them a couple of them tend to get within fifty feet of the semi in front of them. I either go around or try to stay a couple hundred feet back. I also tend to hug the left side of the lane to try and keep a lookout ahead of whatever is in front of me.