PDA

View Full Version : Magnetic Oil Plug, is any body using one ?

fl1madmax
07-25-2013, 10:05 PM
I've seen ads for a magnetic Oil Plugs, having not changed my oil my self yet, I dont know if Honda uses one, I know in my Willys and 32 Ford,
always had stuff stuck to it, and all my Jap Bikes had them, and again always has stuff stuck to it. whats your thoughts ?

bobbyf6b
07-25-2013, 10:15 PM
Can't hurt, but I'm not worried about it.

Scotrod
07-26-2013, 08:05 AM
Mag plugs are nice, but a mag on the outside of your filter is a whole lot easier, doesn't require 'cleaning' and can be less expensive to purchase.

They do make 'filter mags' that wrap around a portion of the filters exterior, but those can get a bit pricy compared to 'loose' rare earth 'general purpose' mags.

Last bike was a Stratoliner with filter mounted sideways directly behind front tire. I had a 1 X 2 X 1/2 neo (rare earth) bar mag placed on the underneath side. Dang thing was rated at about 80 lbs of pull,,, so strong it always wanted to 'grab' my wrenchs away from me! LOL!

It was always picking up metal filings/debris from the road, and I 'collected' what appeared to be a heavy duty drum brake spring from an 18 wheeler once! :shock:

The Strat had an aluminum frame, and I had hoped the mag would help with activating traffic lights,,,, Eh, didn't seem to matter.

I have heard credit cards and certain electronic items aren't fond of magnets. Fun to play with, but some of the rare earth mags can cause injury if ya arent careful! I had 3 of the bar mags and the wife decided to play with 'em,,, 2 collided so hard they sent small bits of shrapnel flyin. :nono:

fl1madmax
07-26-2013, 06:22 PM
Mag plugs are nice, but a mag on the outside of your filter is a whole lot easier, doesn't require 'cleaning' and can be less expensive to purchase.

They do make 'filter mags' that wrap around a portion of the filters exterior, but those can get a bit pricy compared to 'loose' rare earth 'general purpose' mags.

Last bike was a Stratoliner with filter mounted sideways directly behind front tire. I had a 1 X 2 X 1/2 neo (rare earth) bar mag placed on the underneath side. Dang thing was rated at about 80 lbs of pull,,, so strong it always wanted to 'grab' my wrenchs away from me! LOL!

It was always picking up metal filings/debris from the road, and I 'collected' what appeared to be a heavy duty drum brake spring from an 18 wheeler once! :shock:

The Strat had an aluminum frame, and I had hoped the mag would help with activating traffic lights,,,, Eh, didn't seem to matter.

I have heard credit cards and certain electronic items aren't fond of magnets. Fun to play with, but some of the rare earth mags can cause injury if ya arent careful! I had 3 of the bar mags and the wife decided to play with 'em,,, 2 collided so hard they sent small bits of shrapnel flyin. :nono:

Thanks guys ,I think I'm going to get one just becuse I ALWAYS had stuff stuck to mine, I usally had to Spray it with Brake Cleaner and wipe it a few times to get al the stuff off, so I know they work, rather on the plug then floating around crank case!

Scotrod
07-26-2013, 08:44 PM
I still had to 'clean' my exterior mag as it picked up all kinds a chit from the road. Usually, all I did was grab what I could off of it with a shop rag. It's my "Lazy/Po' Man's version" of the filtermag :icon_biggrin:

http://www.shopfiltermag.com/

robertbalcom
08-03-2013, 10:13 AM
I use Neodymium Magnets on my filters. You can buy them online. They are rare earth magnets that are incredibly powerful. Try kjmagnetics.com.