PDA

View Full Version : Pulling an MC Trailer with a Sedan?

kcmike
06-06-2015, 10:48 AM
I've been lurking for a while and I'll be picking up my F6B on Fri. It's Red, BTW. A 2013 demo bike with $700 mi on it. Due to a recently-diagnosed terminal condition, I only have a few months left on this rock so this will be my last summer. The wife doesn't like to ride distances, so we're going to hit a bucket list of locations pulling the B on a trailer. I've done the SUV thing for years, and I'd kind of like a nice touring sedan, but I have my doubts about using it to pull a trailer up mountains, etc. I'm thinking a small, uncovered trailer--fairly light if possible.

Your thoughts about using a sedan to pull it? Recommended engine sizes, etc. Thanks guys.

Mike

bob109
06-06-2015, 11:43 AM
I've been lurking for a while and I'll be picking up my F6B on Fri. It's Red, BTW. A 2013 demo bike with $700 mi on it. Due to a recently-diagnosed terminal condition, I only have a few months left on this rock so this will be my last summer. The wife doesn't like to ride distances, so we're going to hit a bucket list of locations pulling the B on a trailer. I've done the SUV thing for years, and I'd kind of like a nice touring sedan, but I have my doubts about using it to pull a trailer up mountains, etc. I'm thinking a small, uncovered trailer--fairly light if possible.

Your thoughts about using a sedan to pull it? Recommended engine sizes, etc. Thanks guys.

Mike

Your 6 is approximately 900#. A open steel frame trailer should be approximately 1100#. That's a combined weight of 2000#. Most V-6 sedans have a towing capacity of 2000/2500#. Check the towing capacity of the vehicle you are considering and let that be the deciding factor of what will get the job done. I have a 05 Toyota 4 Runner with the factory towing package. It has the 4.0L V6 with 5000# towing capacity and has hauled my enclosed trailer from Pa. to Fl. and back on several occasions without a hiccup. Most 4.0L V-6 should be able to handle the weight but you can expect a substantial loss in gas mileage:shock:

kcmike
06-06-2015, 11:49 AM
Thanks Bob. The specs will be helpful.

shooter
06-06-2015, 11:50 AM
The Kendon ride on is the finest open trailer in the market in my opinion. It weighs less than 400 lbs. It and the bike together would be about 1200 lbs. Any small sedan can handle that.

kcmike
06-07-2015, 11:40 AM
Thanks Shooter. I'll check it out.

Necanefan
06-07-2015, 09:31 PM
The Kendon ride on is the finest open trailer in the market in my opinion. It weighs less than 400 lbs. It and the bike together would be about 1200 lbs. Any small sedan can handle that.

+1 on the Kendon. Best mc trailer on the market. Very light and very stable.

Redlinez
06-08-2015, 11:06 AM
God bless you and I hope you truly have the time of your life. Just keep in mind, whatever the towing capacity of the vehicle is, you have to subtract the weight of your passengers and any cargo from that number. They usually rate them with about a 150 pound driver I think. Tongue weight is another issue, make sure you're below that. A lot of sedans probably don't list that.