PDA

View Full Version : where to get tire mounted

jm21ddd15
06-06-2015, 08:09 PM
While I was in Arkansas, I met a guy on a Full Wing. We were at the Russleville Honda shop, shooting the breeze in the parking lot. Eventually, the conversation got around to rear tires. He was running a Yokohama Run-Flat tire. Said he loved it, and he could tell no difference in handling compared to the OEM stone. Said that he got the tire for approx. $135. I got down on the ground and had a real good look. I was impressed with they way it looked. Wasn't what I had in mind as a "car" tire. The only thing he said was that very few dealers will mount them, and that I would need to find a shop somewhere to have that done. Any comments or Ideas for me?:shrug:

bob109
06-06-2015, 08:41 PM
While I was in Arkansas, I met a guy on a Full Wing. We were at the Russleville Honda shop, shooting the breeze in the parking lot. Eventually, the conversation got around to rear tires. He was running a Yokohama Run-Flat tire. Said he loved it, and he could tell no difference in handling compared to the OEM stone. Said that he got the tire for approx. $135. I got down on the ground and had a real good look. I was impressed with they way it looked. Wasn't what I had in mind as a "car" tire. The only thing he said was that very few dealers will mount them, and that I would need to find a shop somewhere to have that done. Any comments or Ideas for me?:shrug:

I do "carry in's" at a local auto repair center. They have mounted no less than six CT on my cycle rims over the past several years. No questions asked. Just did the brother-in-laws GL1800 wheel with a General G-Max. $10.00 to remove the cycle tire and mount the Max. $3.00 for tire disposal. Dropped the mechanic a $12.00 tip and he was like a pig in $hit. Save yourself the aggravation and denial of having a CT mounted at a cycle dealer, unless you can convince them it's for a trike or side-cart:icon_wink:

jm21ddd15
06-06-2015, 08:57 PM
I do "carry in's" at a local auto repair center. They have mounted no less than six CT on my cycle rims over the past several years. No questions asked. Just did the brother-in-laws GL1800 wheel with a General G-Max. $10.00 to remove the cycle tire and mount the Max. $3.00 for tire disposal. Dropped the mechanic a $12.00 tip and he was like a pig in $hit. Save yourself the aggravation and denial of having a CT mounted at a cycle dealer, unless you can convince them it's for a trike or side-cart:icon_wink:

Thanks for the info. Do you recommend the General G-max, over the Yokohama? and what is the tire size you order? I appreciate the help. :biggthumpup:

bob109
06-06-2015, 09:23 PM
Thanks for the info. Do you recommend the General G-max, over the Yokohama? and what is the tire size you order? I appreciate the help. :biggthumpup:

I have no personal experience with the Yokohama or any run-flat tires. I just removed my first G-Max after 30K miles of wear and replaced it with the same brand tire! The size is 195/55-R16 which matches the OEM Bridgestone in diameter.

hiflyer
06-06-2015, 11:49 PM

I bought my Michelin run flat from discount tire and they mounted it. After my ride today where I actually was in some good twisties, I am even more impressed with the tire.

Vondawg
06-07-2015, 06:09 AM
I bought my Michelin run flat from discount tire and they mounted it. After my ride today where I actually was in some good twisties, I am even more impressed with the tire.
Flyer - is the Michelin that same size 195/55 R16 ?
Thx

valkmc
06-07-2015, 06:56 AM
Flyer - is the Michelin that same size 195/55 R16 ?
Thx
Michelin Alpin comes in that size and is a run flat. Mine is pushing 20k and I love it.
I found a local motorcyle shop that does it for $25 if I carry the tire in. They never ask.

shooter
06-07-2015, 03:13 PM
I really liked the G-Max that Bob runs but I like the Michelin Alpin ZP 195/55-16 even better

jm21ddd15
06-07-2015, 04:43 PM
:biggthumpup: Good info from all you riders! Now, I just need to wear out the Bridgestone, and join the Darkside! Shouldn't take more than a couple more weeks. Guess I better order a tire right away. Any of our Sponsored Venders sell them?:shrug:

shooter
06-07-2015, 05:23 PM
Not the car tire. Try tire rack. Get 3 ounces of balance beads to install in the tire. Just look up balance beads. While you're at it get a 90 degree all metal stem for the wheel.

srt8-in-largo
06-07-2015, 09:23 PM
The inexpensive Harbor Freight tire changer works good for me; with a Mojo Lever, I mount any darn tire I want :icon_biggrin: