PDA

View Full Version : lets talk bar (ends) meister...

RickJ
06-07-2015, 09:09 AM
I was <that close> to the Brakeaway throttle lock but finally decided that for me the throttlemeister was the better choice (cleaner look, lingering doubt about tolerances with heated grips non-rational gut appeal) .

The "heavy" set is almost 1/2" longer(nice- for even easier tightening) and 2oz. heavier. I cant imagine that those 2oz per side would make a difference...bit I can't imagine why they would make 2 sizes if there is no difference. So other than really close lane splitting (:icon_biggrin:) is there any preference or functional difference?? why did you choose what you did...if you are like me MORE is always better...so you got the heavy!! (lol)

bigbird
06-07-2015, 09:28 AM
I've owned a Throttlemeister and a Brakeaway. I got rid of the Meister after 1 month of use and have owned 2 different Brakeaway's since. I hope you like your Meister. Some riders do; some don't. It is what it is.
To answer your question, I had the smaller Meister bar ends and they were just fine. If you had a lighter crotch rocket and wanted more stability in the bars without affecting your low speed turning, then you might want the bigger ends. If your bike and bars are already heavy and stable, i don't know why you'd want the heavier bar ends. The F6B is already the most stable bike I have ever driven.

Fla_rider
06-07-2015, 09:32 AM
:clap2::postpics:

bigbird
06-07-2015, 09:38 AM
:clap2::postpics:

Never seen a Throttlemeister?

Here you go:

RickJ
06-07-2015, 09:58 AM
I've owned a Throttlemeister and a Brakeaway. I got rid of the Meister after 1 month of use and have owned 2 different Brakeaway's since. I hope you like your Meister. Some riders do; some don't. It is what it is.
To answer your question, I had the smaller Meister bar ends and they were just fine. If you had a lighter crotch rocket and wanted more stability in the bars without affecting your low speed turning, then you might want the bigger ends. If your bike and bars are already heavy and stable, i don't know why you'd want the heavier bar ends. The F6B is already the most stable bike I have ever driven.

hmmmmmm [in Kung Fu master voice] ahhhh glasshoppa if path not clear do not continue...
[in my voice] ahhhh sh*t OK ...sit on it a while... I don't have to get it TODAY

bigbird
06-07-2015, 10:43 AM
If you're still on the fence with the Brakeaway, I will give you my $.02, having owned both.
I'm sure others will add their contrary opinions.
IMHO, the Meister can't hold a candle to the Brakeaway, especially for safety of operation.
Unless you have small hands and fingers and don't wear gloves, the Meister is a PITA.
I've got large hands and fingers, always wear riding gloves, and I could never get that Meister to work seamlessly and easily.
Many have the Brakeaway mounted with the Honda heated grips. You should have no problem.

BTW, if you want chrome bar ends along with a Brakeaway, no problem. I have the Honda accessory chrome bar ends; really nice. Rivco also makes nice ones as well.

F6B1911
06-07-2015, 10:49 AM
If you're still on the fence with the Brakeaway, I will give you my $.02, having owned both.
I'm sure others will add their contrary opinions.
IMHO, the Meister can't hold a candle to the Brakeaway, especially for safety of operation.
Unless you have small hands and fingers and don't wear gloves, the Meister is a PITA.
I've got large hands and fingers, always wear riding gloves, and I could never get that Meister to work seamlessly and easily.
Many have the Brakeaway mounted with the Honda heated grips. You should have no problem.

I use the "other" friction style throttle lock, the Kaoko.
After installing it and a few tweaks to get it just right, it doesn't get moved.
Just like the "Ronco Rotisserie," set it and forget it.

RickJ
06-07-2015, 01:11 PM
My observation is that no one here has gotten rid of a Brakeaway in favor of a friction lock but that several have gone from a TM or Kaoke to a brakeaway? Does this seem accurate?

Hornblower
06-07-2015, 01:24 PM
My observation is that no one here has gotten rid of a Brakeaway in favor of a friction lock but that several have gone from a TM or Kaoke to a brakeaway? Does this seem accurate?

I'd say that's accurate. Here's my observation...even more of us would have already converted to the BrakeAway except for cost, more involved installation, the question of compatibility with heated grips, and because it doesn't come in black. In spite of these issues, I'm still thinking of going this direction. Who's offering the best deal on these? Anyone know?

RickJ
06-07-2015, 01:27 PM
I'd say that's accurate. Here's my observation...even more of us would have already converted to the BrakeAway except for cost, more involved installation, the question of compatibility with heated grips, and because it doesn't come in black. In spite of these issues, I'm still thinking of going this direction. Who's offering the best deal on these? Anyone know?

interestingly, a full-on throttlemeister costs about $4.00 less! I found a site sponsor for 184- free ship. (wingstuff) Would he offer a slight discount for forum members or a promise of a few purchases at once?

Hornblower
06-07-2015, 02:14 PM
interestingly, a full-on throttlemeister costs about $4.00 less! I found a site sponsor for 184- free ship. (wingstuff) Would he offer a slight discount for forum members or a promise of a few purchases at once?

Thanks, RickJ! I went ahead and ordered it (been thinking about it long enough). With VIP membership, the price was even lower :yes:. I still wish they made that in black though but maybe a bit of "shiny" won't hurt me too much :icon_rolleyes:.

RickJ
06-07-2015, 02:15 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrB2CqVG1UM

fxdl2051
06-08-2015, 12:14 AM
I called TM about this when trying to decide how to waste my money. They said not every one likes the look of the shorties and the longer ones are easier to grip with gloves on. They're right, I like them, they look very nice are smartly done. But it almost seems to me like they actually increase the vibration instead of quelling it. Ironically, I never use them as throttle locks, they're kind of a pain really in that respect. If I had a choice, the Brake Aways look like they'd be the ticket but they don't work with heated grips sez mfg. when I called them.

RickJ
06-08-2015, 07:52 AM
I called TM about this when trying to decide how to waste my money. They said not every one likes the look of the shorties and the longer ones are easier to grip with gloves on. They're right, I like them, they look very nice are smartly done. But it almost seems to me like they actually increase the vibration instead of quelling it. Ironically, I never use them as throttle locks, they're kind of a pain really in that respect. If I had a choice, the Brake Aways look like they'd be the ticket but they don't work with heated grips sez mfg. when I called them.

yeah. The video I posted shows a "new" brakeaway design. I don't know if people who say the BA works with heated gps. have used this design. $185.00 for me is a pricey experiment.
I don't know how liberal wingstuffs return policy is!!

fxdl2051
06-08-2015, 09:45 PM
yeah. The video I posted shows a "new" brakeaway design. I don't know if people who say the BA works with heated gps. have used this design. $185.00 for me is a pricey experiment.
I don't know how liberal wingstuffs return policy is!!
Wingstuff has taken back some smaller ticket items with no problem but did stick me with one big outlay, 'course that was a crappy paint protection kit that was already applied, still they were jerks about it.Think I'd call their boss before buying the brake away and checking it out with them 1st as regards the possible return. I did hear of one person who installed the brake away on heated grips, but that's not enough for me to disregard what the company says about their product.

Hornblower
06-09-2015, 07:43 AM
FWIW, I will be installing the BrakeAway with my heated grips in the next few days. I will give a report on that when it's done. Even though the manufacturer says not to use this on heated grips, I notice several have done it with apparent success. Maybe it's a liability issue and the manufacturer is taking a very conservative position due to that. At any rate, I will be checking this out for myself and post my observations shortly.

RickJ
06-09-2015, 08:37 AM
FWIW, I will be installing the BrakeAway with my heated grips in the next few days. I will give a report on that when it's done. Even though the manufacturer says not to use this on heated grips, I notice several have done it with apparent success. Maybe it's a liability issue and the manufacturer is taking a very conservative position due to that. At any rate, I will be checking this out for myself and post my observations shortly.

Bless you my son!! Let's hope it works for you. I'll be waiting for the report. If it fails and you have to eat the cost- I'll kick in $5 (more gesture than recompense!)
[edit] you know there appears to be a newer design- simpler than the old- new as of about a year ago? the vid I posted shows it in the beginning.
BTW assuming your screenname refers to musician:

Whats the difference between a Large Pizza and a musician?
Ans: a pizza can feed a family of 4...[rimshot]

(My father and son were/are musicians pop fed a family of 5, son has a day job)

Hornblower
06-09-2015, 09:03 AM
Bless you my son!! Let's hope it works for you. I'll be waiting for the report. If it fails and you have to eat the cost- I'll kick in $5 (more gesture than recompense!)
[edit] you know there appears to be a newer design- simpler than the old- new as of about a year ago? the vid I posted shows it in the beginning.
BTW assuming your screenname refers to musician:

Whats the difference between a Large Pizza and a musician?
Ans: a pizza can feed a family of 4...[rimshot]

(My father and son were/are musicians pop fed a family of 5, son has a day job)

Love the joke but it's so true! I was always a serious trumpet player but had a day job too. Thanks goodness for that! Anyway, I'm retired now so I can be the starving musician I always dreamed of :icon_lol:. Looking back, I should have learned to "dunk" so I could make 20 million a year :banghead:. Actually, that wouldn't have worked either due to my 6" vertical jump :icon_rolleyes:. And BTW, thanks for your generous offer to kick in a few bucks. That won't be necessary but thanks anyway. Report to follow in the next few days.