PDA

View Full Version : Question for the Darksiders

strickf6b
06-07-2015, 08:01 PM
Going to the dark side. after nine thousand plus miles started noticing a vibration as I lean the bike on straight smooth asphalt road or in a curve the factory Bridgestone rear tire has start coupling on both side causing vibration when leaning. Now at ten thousand miles it has got unbearable. Always kept check on air pressures at 40-41 psi front and rear. Front tire looks as if another five to six thousand miles. so after a lot of online research about running car tire and talking to some Goldwing owners face to face that are running on the dark side . I have decided to go to the dark side. I had made my mind up to go with the Kumho ECSTA ST XRP 195/55/16 Run Flat. I work for automotive supplier that sales car tires which means I can get them cost :icon_biggrin: but so have it The ware house that's supplies us does not carry that Kumho tired.:icon_frown: so what they sent me was a Bridgestone Driveguard 205/55r16re 16th 91v. Ok here's my questions questions 1. will the 205 55 16 fit my 2014 F6B without any interference or other problems or would it be better to just go with the 195 55 16 driveguard. 2. I noticed a big price difference in the two tires with the driveguard much cheaper I could get for under a hundred bucks. Coast not being a big factor which would be the better tire as far as ride handling and mileage. While I'm at it any thoughts on double darkside when the front tire wear out. Appreciate any opinion

bob109
06-07-2015, 08:33 PM
Going to the dark side. after nine thousand plus miles started noticing a vibration as I lean the bike on straight smooth asphalt road or in a curve the factory Bridgestone rear tire has start coupling on both side causing vibration when leaning. Now at ten thousand miles it has got unbearable. Always kept check on air pressures at 40-41 psi front and rear. Front tire looks as if another five to six thousand miles. so after a lot of online research about running car tire and talking to some Goldwing owners face to face that are running on the dark side . I have decided to go to the dark side. I had made my mind up to go with the Kumho ECSTA ST XRP 195/55/16 Run Flat. I work for automotive supplier that sales car tires which means I can get them cost :icon_biggrin: but so have it The ware house that's supplies us does not carry that Kumho tired.:icon_frown: so what they sent me was a Bridgestone Driveguard 205/55r16re 16th 91v. Ok here's my questions questions 1. will the 205 55 16 fit my 2014 F6B without any interference or other problems or would it be better to just go with the 195 55 16 driveguard. 2. I noticed a big price difference in the two tires with the driveguard much cheaper I could get for under a hundred bucks. Coast not being a big factor which would be the better tire as far as ride handling and mileage. While I'm at it any thoughts on double darkside when the front tire wear out. Appreciate any opinion

Bridgestone Battlax BT45 for the front! It's a rear cycle tire and run it in the arrow direction of the OEM Stone. Regarding that 205/55R16! Get rid of it and get a 195/55-R16. That is the correct size of CT for the Goldwing GL1800/F6B application. The 195 is a tight fit when slipping it in place. Leave the air out before trying to insert it into the cavity. A small aluminum pie pan laid over the wheel studs aids in sliding the tire into place:shhh:

Steve 0080
06-07-2015, 09:23 PM
What Bob said + wrap a plastic bag over the wheel and it goes up better also...

strickf6b
06-07-2015, 10:27 PM
THANK YOU BOB109 ORDERING THE 195/55/16 IN THE MORNING AND MAY JUST GO AHEAD AND ORDER THE BT45 FOR THE FRONT. GOT TIP TO NORTH OHIO MIDDLE OF THE MONTH.

bob109
06-08-2015, 09:48 AM
THANK YOU BOB109 ORDERING THE 195/55/16 IN THE MORNING AND MAY JUST GO AHEAD AND ORDER THE BT45 FOR THE FRONT. GOT TIP TO NORTH OHIO MIDDLE OF THE MONTH.

Regarding the BT45! You'll have a slight high frequency handlebar vibration for the first hundred or so miles until the center grove edges soften. Nothing major! Just so you know! Additionally, the Ax is 1/4" narrower than the OEM Stone and really improves corner carving:039:

strickf6b
06-09-2015, 05:58 PM
hey. thank you Bb109 for the infor. receive the 195/55/16RF today, order the Battax BT45 BY way of Dennis Kirk.com and Chrome Metal Valve Stem by way of WingSuff.com hope to have it all by the weekend.

strickf6b
06-12-2015, 06:28 PM
It's officially gone to the dark side. and if the first 58 miles is any indication 20 highway 30 plus Tennessee back roads with a few twists i'm very impressed. Installed it today set air pressure to 32 psi
Took her out on the highway she rode smooth and ride quiet. Hit some back roads to see how she would handle in the curves. I started out thinking about it too much looking for something different felt myself holding on too tight not relaxed. But after a few miles a few curves i loosened up and she felt good.If The weather holds up this weekend I will get her out and get some more seat time before going two up. I don't think she will ever wear another rear M/C tire again. 1458614587145881458914590