PDA

View Full Version : To go a long with the, do you wear a helmet thread.

Greg O
06-08-2015, 03:31 PM
Do you always wear a jacket, sometimes wear a jacket, or never wear a jacket. I guess I should probably take out never wear a jacket. I know when its hot out I don't wear a jacket, and I know some people that won't get on their bike with out one.

BIGLRY
06-08-2015, 03:34 PM
Do you always wear a jacket, sometimes wear a jacket, or never wear a jacket. I guess I should probably take out never wear a jacket. I know when its hot out I don't wear a jacket, and I know some people that won't get on their bike with out one.I dress for the ride, cause ya never know when or how bad, but that it will happen if ya ride long enough.

stroguy
06-08-2015, 03:34 PM
TEXAS heat? Got to be a trade off. I do not wear a jacket 98% of the time in the summer.

six2go
06-08-2015, 03:35 PM
I'm an ATGATT person whether it's hot or cold.

seadog
06-08-2015, 03:38 PM
Up here in Michigan a Alpine star with the inserts and liner are sometimes a necessity as cold can get you shivering. But on the warm days a vest is nice with short sleeve shirts and if its really warm then down to the T shirt. Cold weather I pull out the Cortech Denim jacket with the quilted liner. I have a heavy leather motorcycle jacket but its a bit much and I should never have purchased it as its hung in the closet for the duration of my first bike of 8 year and looks like it will stay there. The Cortech Jacket is much nicer for cold.

bobbyf6b
06-08-2015, 03:39 PM
I always wear a jacket when it's cool or cold out. Or foul weather. I don't always wear one on hot days, although I wet my shirt and wear a mesh jacket on occasion.

On another note, I ride in jeans and long sleeves 99% of the time. I like to stay out of the sun, and you dehydrate slower when covered up.

flat6bagger
06-08-2015, 03:40 PM
I go by the weather.
I understand the ATGATT philosophy,but to chance heat stroke in extremely hot weather makes absolutely no sense to me.

Doug

wjduke
06-08-2015, 03:42 PM
ATGATT here...95% before and will 100% positively after my accident, once I ride again.

stroguy
06-08-2015, 03:43 PM
ATGATT? Poor phafor.

Flat6Fool
06-08-2015, 04:07 PM
I've been riding with a Shoei GT-Air and recently bought a Bell Pit Boss for the brutal Texas summer heat. I always wear a jacket on the sport bike, but usually just roll with helmet and boots on the F6B in the summer months.

opas ride
06-08-2015, 04:14 PM
Mostly a jean jacket in cooler months, leather in cold months, and t-shirt and leather vest in summer....

flat6bagger
06-08-2015, 04:16 PM
ATGATT? Poor phafor.

All the gear all the time

Greg O
06-08-2015, 05:39 PM
What does ATGATT mean.

hiflyer
06-08-2015, 05:43 PM
I always wear a jacket when it's cool or cold out. Or foul weather. I don't always wear one on hot days, although I wet my shirt and wear a mesh jacket on occasion.

On another note, I ride in jeans and long sleeves 99% of the time. I like to stay out of the sun, and you dehydrate slower when covered up.

Agree. I wear long sleeve white tee's that are actually fishing shirts from Academy that wick moisture away. Rode Saturday 450 miles, would have been miserable getting all sunburned up.

Greg O....ATGATT = all the gear, all the time.

stepbill
06-08-2015, 05:47 PM
What does ATGATT mean.

All The Gear All The Time.

53driver
06-08-2015, 05:48 PM
"Enjoy the seasons, but dress for the fall."
ATGATT

stepbill
06-08-2015, 05:49 PM
In the summer, I ride with jeans, boots and a sleeveless shirt/sun screen! I also wear a shorty helmet in the summer and a modular helmet with a KLIM coat in the winter.

tozco
06-08-2015, 05:52 PM
95 degrees today, but I still wore my Vanson properf leather jacket. I would feel absolutely vulnerable riding without my skin being covered and protected.

flat6bagger
06-08-2015, 06:23 PM
How can you guys possibly deal with the heat without falling out from dehydration?
I would have to drink non stop to stay hydrated.

Doug

hiflyer
06-08-2015, 06:26 PM
ATGATT also means protective pants with pads, and actual motorcycle boots. Unlike "boot boots" these actually protect the shin and ankles. How many do either of these? When I was riding sport touring motorcycles and got more airflow than what you get on the "6" I wore a vented Vanson leather jacket all the time. No can do vented or mesh jackets anymore, when the temp goes over 90. I do wear Aerostitch Darien pants when traveling, but mostly jeans for day rides.

shooter
06-08-2015, 06:33 PM
I always wear a jacket. No exceptions. Joe Rocket mesh in the heat. Joe Rocket insulated in the cold. I actually believe it is cooler to wear the mesh in the summer than short sleeves. The mesh saves you from direct sunlight and sunburn. A full mesh coat flows a lot of air.

flat6bagger
06-08-2015, 06:45 PM
I don't get direct sunlight on my arms because I wear armpro compression sleeves.
They are not to look like you have fake tattoos which some people actually believe.
Mine are SPF 90.
Also with these when you get hot you just run your arm under cool water.
Even in the heat you stay cool for a couple of hours.
With the compression your arms do not get fatigued as fast either.
They are worth every penny.

http://www.missinglnk.com/default.asp?page=xstore&zcid=19968

Doug

stroguy
06-08-2015, 07:21 PM
Those look nice Doug. Thanks, I owe you one. Have to admit my arms do get burned, but chiks dig the farmers tan. I received my JR mesh jacket and it was hot hot hot and not for the chiks. I'll have to try and force myself to keep trying to wear it.

fxdl2051
06-08-2015, 09:33 PM
I still wear a t shirt way too much of the time or at best a vest. Wish I could find something that was wearable in the heat, least I've got Kevlar in the riding jeans.

shooter
06-08-2015, 09:58 PM
I don't know. What's hot to some is bearable to others. At one point in my life I worked on a blast furnace for ten years. Five years heating steel and five years melting lead. I learned a lot about managing heat during that time. Anyone that says heat don't bother them is probably working in an air conditioned office. My wife will tell you she loves summer. She goes from an air conditioned house to an AC SUV to an AC office. My head is hanging over a 210 degree motor all day. I get home she wants to sit out on the deck. Sure , go ahead. Everyone has their limits. Honestly the mesh doesn't bother me but I can see it being too much for some people. It gets hot here. We get the heat and humidity. Sunday it was 93 with 80% humidity. That's tough. And it gets worse. You just have to hydrate and ride in the shade. That's a joke guys. Wifey says I don't ride in the shade and that's why she gets hot. I've been trying to figure out how to do it but it ain't working.

bigbird
06-08-2015, 10:23 PM
ATGATT.

I have mesh armoured everything for the hot days.

Alberta Beagle
06-08-2015, 10:28 PM
Full face helmet, jacket with protection, mesh on hot days leather on normal days and always riding specific boots. Also wear riding pants with protection at least 50% of the time.

Was 31celsius here today and put on 400 kms with my mesh jacket, gloves, full face and diamond gusset jeans. Always have water in the bags and never have an issue.

Beagle

flat6bagger
06-09-2015, 05:53 AM
When it get's so hot it is not enjoyable to ride,I won't.
By wearing a jacket,that shortens my riding season substantially.
We only get 6 months at best as it is.
When I am hot while riding that is all I think about.
What is the fun in that?

Doug

wjduke
06-09-2015, 06:30 AM
I would never let a jacket interfere with my riding. I swear, the hottest I ever was in one was at night, stuck in a 4 mile traffic jam coming back from a bike event in Lowell, Mass. It was humid as all heck and I was dying. I still will never go without. I hope everyone rides safe and nothing happens, but it only takes one fall...ask me. I was in full gear and it could have been bad.

lloydmoore1
06-09-2015, 06:41 AM
I always wear the jacket,gloves,and riding boots mainly because I have some road rash scars from my younger years that remind me why.
They say we get wiser with age but my wife still says I'm a boy in mans clothes.

jm21ddd15
06-09-2015, 07:49 AM
Almost always wear "all the gear". Sometimes when it's really hot, I wear the mesh jacket with no shirt under it. That helps with air flow, and still gives protection. I do wish helmet manufacturers would improve on the venting.

DaWadd
06-09-2015, 08:17 AM
Hot out and just boulevard cruising I get by with kevlar Draggin jeans and a t-shirt. Hot highway cruising I use Olympia mesh pants and either leather ( Icon perforated Motorhead) or a Joe Rocket mesh jacket. Always wear motorcycle boots ( Sidi Canyon).Cold weather is another story.

tozco
06-09-2015, 08:48 AM
It's not too hard to gear up in the dry heat we have out west. But I have sampled the midwest and down south heat. You guys really have to make your choice, just try and ride safe. As far as mesh goes, the Vanson with perforated leather is cooler than any other type, tried most all of them over the years. It has double leather but no armor in the impact zones. Kevlar jeans and MC boots. Also gloves are at the top of list because I make my living with my hands. I ride in the high nineties no problem.

imported_NMRed
06-09-2015, 02:21 PM
I find mesh gear cooler than bare skin here in southern NM heat.

NoleRider
06-09-2015, 02:24 PM
Only wear a jacket about 4 or 5 months out the year...and only due to the temps then. Mostly it's jeans, t-shirt & vest...helmet required by law. I have done the shorts thing, but the idea of wasp flying up my pants leg and me bailing at 60 normally is enough reason for jeans.

shooter
06-09-2015, 04:01 PM
I find mesh gear cooler than bare skin here in southern NM heat.

I'm glad I'm not the only one to say that. I think people think I'm crazy. It keeps that direct sunlight off you and saves a burn.

53driver
06-09-2015, 06:31 PM
+2....I always cover up on a ride.
I also find it cooler.
Irish skin and sun make for a nasty burn, and potential for skin cancer - no thanks.

stroguy
06-09-2015, 07:05 PM
OK OK OK, I will wear my mesh. I have to take the back plate out, it's annoying at the moment.

I think people think I'm crazy.

Not as far as you know.

BuzzzPhotos
06-09-2015, 07:21 PM
I've been riding lately in t-shirt and the mesh jacket in the right bag. Changed to shorts from jeans last week on a ride to Austin but I didn't feel safe in all the traffic. Like the jeans would help:icon_redface:. I'm going to look into the mesh pants. Thx

shooter
06-09-2015, 09:48 PM
I don't know about you 53 , but when I'm sunburned I can't sleep. I like my 6 or 7 hrs every night. Oh and by the way , Stro is a wuss.

stroguy
06-09-2015, 10:13 PM
I'm not afraid of the sun!

bertrider
06-09-2015, 10:38 PM

That's not our beach! The sand is too white and the water too blue!

Mesh jacket always in the summer around here. A two piece 'Stich when the weather allows. Sometimes just the upper.

53driver
06-10-2015, 05:34 AM
I don't know about you 53 , but when I'm sunburned I can't sleep. I like my 6 or 7 hrs every night. Oh and by the way , Stro is a wuss.

When I get sunburned, I am told I get downright cranky. With enough scotch, I will fall asleep though.
As far as Stro's manliness is concerned, I'll reserve my opinion until after Franklin.....I'm gonna let his bike do the talkin'!
(Unless, of course, he isn't carrying something that starts with a .4 - and yes, that piece is part of ATGATT)

53driver
06-10-2015, 05:35 AM

Isn't that "The Mad Russian" from WWF?

stroguy
06-10-2015, 07:21 AM
something that starts with a .4 - and yes, that piece is part of ATGATT

Oh now I get ATGATT! Thanks Steve. I wore my mesh this AM in to work. I am trying.

53driver
06-10-2015, 07:03 PM
Oh now I get ATGATT! Thanks Steve. I wore my mesh this AM in to work. I am trying.

Courtesy of a generous forum member, I also wore a mesh jacket to work this morning. "PokerRun" is the name.
Built in armor and VERY nice fit all the way around.
Thank you very much, my NYC friend!

85 degrees on the way home and the only place I broke a sweat was a wee bit under the backplate armor.
That's at an average of 15mph with the waiting for one stop light going 4 cycles due to the trains - going in both directions within minutes of each other.....

stroguy
06-10-2015, 07:19 PM
I pulled my back plate and it was much more enjoyable a ride. We had 92 with fairly low humidity for Houston and it was tolerable. No pistola as I my boss seems to not trust us. I will continue the journey.

53driver
06-10-2015, 09:28 PM
I pulled my back plate and it was much more enjoyable a ride. We had 92 with fairly low humidity for Houston and it was tolerable. No pistola as I my boss seems to not trust us. I will continue the journey.

Well, for some strange reason, we are not allowed "carry" onboard military installations.....:banghead:
So, me neither.

shooter
06-10-2015, 09:44 PM
Guys I'm proud of both of you. Yeah 53 if you aren't moving that mesh does get hot. And on that other thing. Some nutjob goes loco on a military base. Shoots 25 or 30. We could stop him faster if all personnel was carrying. Hell he might not even try. I don't get it. We train our men and women to be fighting machines then don't trust them to carry a loaded gun. WTF. 53 , do the MPs have live rounds in the chamber or is it load on command.

stroguy
06-10-2015, 09:52 PM
Well, for some strange reason, we are not allowed "carry" onboard military installations.....:banghead:
So, me neither.

Same boss.

53driver
06-10-2015, 09:54 PM
Guys I'm proud of both of you. Yeah 53 if you aren't moving that mesh does get hot. And on that other thing. Some nutjob goes loco on a military base. Shoots 25 or 30. We could stop him faster if all personnel was carrying. Hell he might not even try. I don't get it. We train our men and women to be fighting machines then don't trust them to carry a loaded gun. WTF. 53 , do the MPs have live rounds in the chamber or is it load on command.

Allegedly there are rounds in the magazines that are inserted......

Yeah, I'm not really happy with this arrangement either.

stroguy
06-10-2015, 09:56 PM

You never hear of a mass shooting at a police station. Strange. But some whacked mussy pretending to be a Major shoots up a personnel office guarded by contractors. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Darren
06-11-2015, 12:24 PM
ATGATT also means protective pants with pads, and actual motorcycle boots. Unlike "boot boots" these actually protect the shin and ankles. How many do either of these? When I was riding sport touring motorcycles and got more airflow than what you get on the "6" I wore a vented Vanson leather jacket all the time. No can do vented or mesh jackets anymore, when the temp goes over 90. I do wear Aerostitch Darien pants when traveling, but mostly jeans for day rides.

:lolup:

+1