PDA

View Full Version : How do you run a Garmin cable out of left pocket to a ball mount?

MikeF6B
06-09-2015, 07:04 PM
I plan on installing an accessory socket kit on my 2013 F6B in the left fairing pocket, and mounting a Garmin Nuvi on an eCaddy Ball Mount Kit attached to the handlebar switch housing. My Question: what is the best way to run the Garmin’s cable from the socket kit through the left pocket up to the Ball Mount? The only way I can think of is to drill (or file) a slot into the left pocket door and a corresponding slot through the pocket’s gasket surround so that the wire can be placed in the gasket surround gap with corresponding gap in the door cut so that the door closes over the Garmin cable. Is there a better way?

ths61
06-09-2015, 07:09 PM
Just a thought, if you are going to leave the harness on the bike, leave the DC socket under the left side pocket (and not in the left pocket).

That way you don't have to bring the DC into pocket and then back out of the pocket.

MikeF6B
06-09-2015, 07:27 PM
Thanks ths61. i hadn't thought of that. But, I need the DC socket to be in the box because I will want to charge/power up other electronic gadgets when not powering up the Garmin. Do you (or any Forum members) know whether there are sufficient connections under the left box to both install a DC socket in the box and another to bypass the box and permanently connect to the Garmin? (I have Honda's stock cable already installed).

ths61
06-09-2015, 07:36 PM
Thanks ths61. i hadn't thought of that. But, I need the connection to be in the box because I will want to charge/power up other electronic gadgets when not powering up the Garmin. Do you (or any Forum members) know whether there are sufficient connections under the left box to both install a unit in the box and another to bypass the box and permanently connect to the Garmin? (I have Honda's stock cable already installed)

I think there is only 1 connector, but you can always tap into the Acc 12V harness and add another one. I would tap into plug's cable and Y-off of it so if you take out the pocket, you can unhook the single plug cable to disconnect the Y-plugs. The OEM plug is $pendy (@ $80). You can get another aftermarket plug for a fraction of the price (@ $15) that you keep under the dash. Making a Y-Plug cable from the OEM plug would also be easier to make because you can make the cable outside of the bike.

HTH

lloydmoore1
06-09-2015, 07:41 PM
I ran mine through the hole that the aux jack cable runs out of. Just remove the rubber insert then slice it open add the cable then place the rubber washer back in the hole. Then when not in use I wrap it around the head set plug.
I also use Velcro and stick the gps between the speed o and the gas gauge,no sun, no glare easy to see all the time and out of the elements.
I can post pics tomorrow.

shooter
06-09-2015, 08:05 PM
Why don't you just run it straight from the battery. I have a powered cradle. Mine has been like that for over a year. As long as I pop the GPS out of the cradle it won't affect the battery. Same thing with unplugging it.

Fla_rider
06-09-2015, 08:25 PM
I just files the slot in the ridge of the box. I have a double cigarette lighter plus a double USB connector in the box. #1 cig connection goes to gps, #1 USB has BT receiver plugged into it and #2 USB has iPhone connected.

Steve 0080
06-09-2015, 11:43 PM
Come from the battery, up to the cubby...either side you want...come up the tunnel under the handle bars and place your GPS holder/mount...on the side you want it... now that I have had the bike for a while....I would say the rights side...the left side leave for your phone so your free hand can search and make calls....if you can get a locking mount, you insurance should replaced the GPS if it goes missing.....

ff73148
06-10-2015, 06:44 AM
Everyone has there own way of mounting their GPS. But for the life of me I don't understand why anyone would want to have a line running from a stationary point of a bike to your handle bar. IMHO I think that is dangerous. I ran my line from the accessory screws that Honda provided us in the fuse box, under some of the bodywork and then up the handlebar. This way when you shut down your F6B the power to your GPS is shut down also. Safe and logical.

lloydmoore1
06-10-2015, 08:40 AM
I ran mine through the hole that the aux jack cable runs out of. Just remove the rubber insert then slice it open add the cable then place the rubber washer back in the hole. Then when not in use I wrap it around the head set plug.
I also use Velcro and stick the gps between the speed o and the gas gauge,no sun, no glare easy to see all the time and out of the elements.
I can post pics tomorrow.

Here are some pics. It works for me.

LX2
06-10-2015, 08:52 AM
Built into them and removing the cigarette lighter plug off renders it useless PLUS they are expensive you want to leave the power cord in each vehicle you use the GPS in.
If I am going to be on a couple day ride I plug into the outlet in the pocket, notch the raised "lip" of the pocket not the gasket, route the power cord close to the upper triple tree and up the left handlebar for a temporary solution.

Steve 0080
06-10-2015, 08:55 AM
Come from the battery, up to the cubby...either side you want...come up the tunnel under the handle bars and place your GPS holder/mount...on the side you want it... now that I have had the bike for a while....I would say the rights side...the left side leave for your phone so your free hand can search and make calls....if you can get a locking mount, you insurance should replaced the GPS if it goes missing.....

Everyone has there own way of mounting their GPS. But for the life of me I don't understand why anyone would want to have a line running from a stationary point of a bike to your handle bar. IMHO I think that is dangerous. I ran my line from the accessory screws that Honda provided us in the fuse box, under some of the bodywork and then up the handlebar. This way when you shut down your F6B the power to your GPS is shut down also. Safe and logical.

We are saying the same thing...

MikeF6B
06-10-2015, 09:06 AM
Thanks for all the great ideas F6B Riders! You have given me a lot to think about!

Mastergunny
06-10-2015, 10:51 AM
My Garmin is mounted on a ram ball mount that is bolted right on top of my center cubby storage. I removed the left hand compartment, wired in my 12V Garmin power cord to the wires that go to my "in compartment" 12V socket. Than I ran the power cord to the Garmin through the same slot that my helmet/audio/intercom plug come out of. Both cords will fit in the slot with a little pressure. Reinstalled the left hand compartment and I am good to go. I can unplug the cord from the back of the Garmin and simple lock the GPS in my bags when I have to leave the bike out.

MOJO
06-10-2015, 12:00 PM
I just installed a nuvi 660LM. I ran the harness through the conduit on the handlebars (it does fit nice) hugging the brake lines, then up and over the bars going to the left of the frame. Then there is an opening to get the wires just under the left compartment. I then hardwired to the 12V line that feeds the cig adapter in the left compartment.

Vondawg
06-10-2015, 07:34 PM
On a ram mount centered on cubby, but ran the power from the fuse box screwed in Acc .
Garmin cord is a bit smaller than mic plug and slides right in behind, coming out next to it. Then stays warped around mic plug when gps is not used.1454814549