PDA

View Full Version : should you meet forum members before setting up rides with them?

flat6bagger
06-10-2015, 06:23 AM
I have found when setting up rides when people don't know each other is not necessarily a good idea.
Setting up a neutral place to meet for the first time before committing to ride with them is a much better idea in my opinion.
Here are my thoughts as to why:
The only impression prior to meeting someone from a forum is their posts you read on that forum.
You may not like the way they post or respond to someone else's posts.
You have now made a negative first impression in your mind solely on written word.
Others you may like the way they post and think the person is someone you would like to meet.
Now you have made a positive impression in your mind of the person.Again solely on his written word.
Once you meet the person face to face,speak to them and interact you may find that your first impression was totally wrong.
As far as the ride is concerned...
You know nothing about the way the person rides.
Do they actually stop at stop signs/lights or do they just roll through them?
Do they ride really close to you or do they stay way back?
Do they speed or do they hold other riders up because they ride slower than the posted speed limit?
These are just examples of what I think should be discussed when you meet them prior to a first ride together.
How do you feel about this?

Doug

shooter
06-10-2015, 07:08 AM
So Doug , does that mean our meet and greet is off. Just cause I'm an Axe murderer don't mean you have to be squeamish. I can't believe it. How can you even think you wouldn't like Ole Shooter. I mean I'm personable , dang good looking , know almost everything about everything , my Ole Lady is Hot and I have the best looking F6B on the forum. What's not to like.:yikes:

wjduke
06-10-2015, 07:11 AM
Most find me to be an idiot on forums, but I'm not a bad guy either...just not an admitted ax murderer like Shooter.

I can add this though....made some of the best friends that way. In one case, it was two rides and no one wanted to ever ride with the guy again.

shooter
06-10-2015, 07:13 AM
See Doug. Another ringing endorsement for Shooter. I'm actually loved by many , feared by a few , and hated by 2 or 3.

shooter
06-10-2015, 07:23 AM
Doug in answer to your question , I have done maybe a half dozen of the going in blind things. Most went OK. Had one bad experience with a guy on a Victory invited by another guy. He followed me so close I quit leading. Tried talking to him about it. I went to the back. About an hour later he ran into my buddy at a stop sign. Both guys ended up on the ground with damage to both bikes. You never know about experience level. Group rides can be tricky. Knowing what I know now I would be leery if I didn't have at least a good reference.

flat6bagger
06-10-2015, 07:28 AM
I actually hope it works out when I meet forum members.
I have rode with two forum members and it was great.
On the other hand I have rode with others from other forums that all I wanted to do was slap the crap out of them because they were riding way over their heads trying to impress me.
I kept thinking if they really want to impress me,use some common sense,don't speed through turns,stop taking off like you are drag racing and don't try to run me over at stop signs.

Doug

stroguy
06-10-2015, 07:31 AM
I dont ride in large groups and don't ride in small groups. Just don't have the experience and I am not so afraid of the others, more afraid of me. 53 will skool me on the way to Franklin.

I have a lot of meets with folks I have met on forums, never a bad experience. Some I agreed with, some I didn't prior to meeting them. But face to face you pretty much become an amicable person.

wjduke
06-10-2015, 07:32 AM
Doug in answer to your question , I have done maybe a half dozen of the going in blind things. Most went OK. Had one bad experience with a guy on a Victory invited by another guy. He followed me so close I quit leading. Tried talking to him about it. I went to the back. About an hour later he ran into my buddy at a stop sign. Both guys ended up on the ground with damage to both bikes. You never know about experience level. Group rides can be tricky. Knowing what I know now I would be leery if I didn't have at least a good reference.

Shooter, he was on the 9 forum, but seems to have left it. One of my first big rides was up in NH, about 8 bikes. We would be in line, then he would pull out, passing cars and leave everyone behind. Then at rest stops, he and his g/f would run in the woods and smoke a joint....at the end of the day, they just took off and left us all to ride back. It was a blessing at that point.

shooter
06-10-2015, 07:45 AM
OMG!!!! Don't tell that story Duke. That was back in my wild days. That was a long time ago. Back in 2014. I've really grown up since then.

shooter
06-10-2015, 07:49 AM
I dont ride in large groups and don't ride in small groups. Just don't have the experience and I am not so afraid of the others, more afraid of me. 53 will skool me on the way to Franklin.

I have a lot of meets with folks I have met on forums, never a bad experience. Some I agreed with, some I didn't prior to meeting them. But face to face you pretty much become an amicable person.

Stro , you and I have a checkered past. Buddy , keep both eyes on 53. You know he's ex military. Those guys can be batshyt crazy.

jm21ddd15
06-10-2015, 07:56 AM
:lolup::clap2::clap2::crackup::crackup:
You guys crack me up!

wjduke
06-10-2015, 07:59 AM
OMG!!!! Don't tell that story Duke. That was back in my wild days. That was a long time ago. Back in 2014. I've really grown up since then.
Brian....you're losing riding friends by the minute! :shhh:

bobbyf6b
06-10-2015, 08:54 AM
This hits home because I do a lot of group rides with HOG and I'm really getting sick of them. The groups are more like a rolling cluster f#ck.

I have had way more fun meeting and riding with fellow F6B riders. Only problem is our different schedules and lifestyles. It's hard to get a ride coordinated, but I haven't given up. I've met some really nice people through our site. Riding with a handful or less is way more fun and you can stay out of each other's way instead of being packed in a group.

stroguy
06-10-2015, 09:01 AM
Stro , you and I have a checkered past. Buddy , keep both eyes on 53. You know he's ex military. Those guys can be batshyt crazy.

NOTED!

flat6bagger
06-10-2015, 02:42 PM
I have found also on different forums that there are some that I have no desire to meet.
I wouldn't speak to them let alone ride with them.

Doug

Redlinez
06-10-2015, 02:58 PM
I have a name for a lot of folks on a lot of forums that I have experienced, keyboard Rambos. Just due to the ability to actually be anonymous, people say or act a totally different way on the internet at times. Many a car forum has run folks off due to this crap. Some of the coolest dudes I've ever met were on a local sportbike forum. Just went to visit a bunch of them on the F6B...... I just don't really want to ride anywhere near that pace anymore, at least not on this bike.

flat6bagger
06-10-2015, 03:05 PM
I have a name for a lot of folks on a lot of forums that I have experienced, keyboard Rambos. Just due to the ability to actually be anonymous, people say or act a totally different way on the internet at times. Many a car forum has run folks off due to this crap. Some of the coolest dudes I've ever met were on a local sportbike forum. Just went to visit a bunch of them on the F6B...... I just don't really want to ride anywhere near that pace anymore, at least not on this bike.

I call some "keyboard killers."
They talk all the smack on a forum because they think they will never see you in person.
They wouldn't bust a grape in a wine factory in person.
I have also met some great people off of a forum.

Doug

ghostrider
06-10-2015, 03:07 PM
Shooter, he was on the 9 forum, but seems to have left it. One of my first big rides was up in NH, about 8 bikes. We would be in line, then he would pull out, passing cars and leave everyone behind. Then at rest stops, he and his g/f would run in the woods and smoke a joint....at the end of the day, they just took off and left us all to ride back. It was a blessing at that point.

Note to self......don't ride with Shooter......ever.............unless it's...4-20 :icon_mrgreen:

53driver
06-10-2015, 07:23 PM

If y'all have a checkered past, I'm guessing my past is blacker than "BlackedOut's" ride.
I have NEVER broken a rule...but I sure as hell bend the crap outta them.
I take comfort in that no one who didn't deserve to die, actually died, on my watch.

And Shooter...I guess there are "ex-soldiers" and "former sailors", but there are no "ex-Marines", nor "former Marines." We are Marines, and then we are given our last set of orders to guard Heaven's Gates.

I'm truly looking forward to meeting up with Stro, and then seeing all y'all at Franklin. This is gonna be suh-weet!

stroguy
06-10-2015, 07:29 PM
And Shooter...I guess there are "ex-soldiers" and "former sailors", but there are no "ex-Marines", nor "former Marines." We are Marines, !

A point every one of them will drill into you when you make that mistake.

Anxious to meet these keyboards and very much anticipating a good ride with you Steve.

stroguy
06-10-2015, 07:34 PM
Flat6, not stealing your thread. Hopefully adding to the content. When you meet another man and you go to shake hands, do you touch chests and semi-hug? Cause I don't. I am old school and figure the handshake is sufficient enough as long as there isn't a dead fish on the other hand. Curious where that new take on man love came from.

Just like when golfers finish a round, why do they take their caps off when they shake hands? Is the cap an insult? If so then for the last 4 hours you have been wearing an insult?

seadog
06-10-2015, 07:37 PM
:lolup::clap2::clap2::crackup::crackup:
You guys crack me up!

This forum is better than Larry the cable guy, Ron white, Jeff Foxworthy, and Bill Envall all rolled into one. :clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:: clap2:

zeus661
06-10-2015, 08:01 PM
95% of my riding is solo. I prefer not to ride in groups because you just can't guess what they might do. This week I am on a solo cross country trip. Yesterday I started my 800 mile day at 10pm. The first 200 miles I ran close to 100mph. I stopped when I needed to and didn't have to guess if someone had to stop. It just so much easier running alone.

shooter
06-10-2015, 08:05 PM
53 I didn't mean to offend you brother. I'm sure you have earned the right. Actually didn't know you were a marine. I'm just worried about Stro. He's kinda delicate. And Doug when we meet up later this year I will have my wife with me. I usually manage to be on my best behavior. Oh by the way just FYI. I don't drink , don't smoke , I'm the guy that usually exceeds the speed limit. I never over ride the situation. From time to time I like to crank it up. Never two up. If its a back road I might roll the stop. I like the twisties. When in a group I ride to the groups level. I can lead or I can follow. I like to lead. Most of all I just like to have fun.

shooter
06-10-2015, 08:08 PM
95% of my riding is solo. I prefer not to ride in groups because you just can't guess what they might do. This week I am on a solo cross country trip. Yesterday I started my 800 mile day at 10pm. The first 200 miles I ran close to 100mph. I stopped when I needed to and didn't have to guess if someone had to stop. It just so much easier running alone.

Zeus I have a brother in law that thinks and rides exactly like I do. I never have to wonder am I going too fast or does he need to use the bathroom. He is the perfect riding partner.

Steve 0080
06-10-2015, 08:54 PM
Way way to in-depth for me...I get the riding thing but other that that...I give EVERYONE I meet 100% of my respect...I leave it up to that person to subtract from that figure...

If anyone wants or cares to know about me...it's easy...ZERO BULLSHIT, thats me... I like everyone I meet and after a while most like me, some don't and thats OK... just have the balls to say it to my face ... short of that, I am a kind,loving person who wants to bring joy to the world.....

stroguy
06-10-2015, 08:55 PM
53 I didn't mean to offend you brother. Don't think you did. It's part of the creed and they aren't bothered letting you know it. I'm sure you have earned the right.YEPPERS Actually didn't know you were a marine. I'm just worried about Stro. He's kinda delicate.

Thanks for noticing sunshine.

shooter
06-10-2015, 09:20 PM
Way way to in-depth for me...I get the riding thing but other that that...I give EVERYONE I meet 100% of my respect...I leave it up to that person to subtract from that figure...

If anyone wants or cares to know about me...it's easy...ZERO BULLSHIT, thats me... I like everyone I meet and after a while most like me, some don't and thats OK... just have the balls to say it to my face ... short of that, I am a kind,loving person who wants to bring joy to the world.....

LMAO

53driver
06-10-2015, 09:41 PM
53 I didn't mean to offend you brother. I'm sure you have earned the right. Actually didn't know you were a Marine. I'm just worried about Stro. He's kinda delicate....Most of all I just like to have fun.
No worries mate. It's all good.
Stro is a brother from my home state of Texas....I'm not worried that I'll have to do some of that "Show Me" state stuff to gain his respect.
I'm sure our first handshake will set the tone - and it'll all be great!

Like you wrote, it's all about having fun!

F6B1911
06-11-2015, 05:30 AM
It's not eHarmony, anyone who rides an F6B is OK in my book.

wjduke
06-11-2015, 06:58 AM

Best line yet

Hornblower
06-11-2015, 07:32 AM
For my :2cents:, I'm not sure meeting with someone prior to a ride would do much good. Seems to me, you have to ride with someone at least once to find out whether their riding style is compatible. Like most of you, I've ridden with many other riders over the years and, frankly, it's not that easy to find a great riding companion. There are just so many facets to it. How fast do they like to go? Do they follow too close or lag too far behind? How often do they like to stop? Do they want to ride or go sight-seeing? I could go on but you get the picture.

bobbyf6b
06-11-2015, 08:56 AM

It's bHarmony. :icon_lol:

Hornblower
06-11-2015, 09:20 AM
It's bHarmony. :icon_lol:

Good one, Bobby! :yes: :clap2: