PDA

View Full Version : Show Chrome luggage rack question

Davidk
06-11-2015, 04:45 PM
Just installed my Show Chrome luggage rack only to discover that my Corbin seat needs to be reinstalled first. Had to remove the rack, replace the seat then reinstall the rack. Ugh!

This means that anytime I want to remove the seat, I have to remove the luggage rack first.

Q1. Is the stock seat the same way?

Q2. Is there any routine maintenance that requires the seat to be removed?

radi0chik
06-11-2015, 04:59 PM
I don't know which seat you're using, but I have a stock seat and it doesn't get in the way of the rack, or vice versa.

Davidk
06-11-2015, 05:09 PM
I don't know which seat you're using, but I have a stock seat and it doesn't get in the way of the rack, or vice versa.

Oops.. Corbin. Just amended my orig post. thanks

radi0chik
06-11-2015, 05:47 PM
Ugg. That'd be a pain indeed if that's the case :(

RickW
06-12-2015, 07:47 AM
Just installed my Show Chrome luggage rack only to discover that my Corbin seat needs to be reinstalled first. Had to remove the rack, replace the seat then reinstall the rack. Ugh!

This means that anytime I want to remove the seat, I have to remove the luggage rack first.

Q1. Is the stock seat the same way?

Q2. Is there any routine maintenance that requires the seat to be removed?

I have no idea why you would remove the rack to remove the seat.
Rack instructions:
http://www.bigbikeparts.com/catalog/documents/52-/52-830_52-830SK.pdf

If you did not have a Honda Backrest already installed then you would have to install the Rack Mount Kit, which would require to remove the seat by removing the four side rail bolts. There are a few more steps to install the Rack Mount Kit.
After Rack Mount Kit is installed then you re-install the seat, use tapered seat bolts, way easier.
Mount Kit Instructions.
http://www.bigbikeparts.com/catalog/documents/52-/52-830M.pdf

Davidk
06-12-2015, 08:20 AM
I did use the Rack Mount Kit

There is no need to use the tapered bolt seats, as the OEM bolts are easily inserted through the Corbin seat unlike the OEM seat.

The tail of the Corbin seat extends beneath the luggage rack. There is only one way and one location to install the seat and all six seat bolts are properly located and used. I also found only one way/location to mount the rack. Am I missing something?

radi0chik
06-12-2015, 09:08 AM
Nope looks like those two particular brands of aftermarket accessories aren't compatible with each other. :( It'd be cheaper to try another brand of luggage rack...

Davidk
06-12-2015, 11:14 AM
Nope looks like those two particular brands of aftermarket accessories aren't compatible with each other. :( It'd be cheaper to try another brand of luggage rack...

That does seem to be the case, hence my second question. Now that I am done adding accessories, I don't know if there is a reason that the seat needs to be removed again. Is there any routine maintenance that requires the seat to be removed?

bigbird
06-12-2015, 11:37 AM
Now that I am done adding accessories, I don't know if there is a reason that the seat needs to be removed again. Is there any routine maintenance that requires the seat to be removed?

No one is ever done adding accessories to an F6B :stirthepot:

The seat needs to be removed for access to the Data Link Connector should you ever have an engine malfunction light, for access to the relay bank, and sooner or later to change the air filter.

Davidk
06-12-2015, 01:14 PM
No one is ever done adding accessories to an F6B

That's what I was afraid of.

The seat needs to be removed for access to the Data Link Connector should you ever have an engine malfunction light, for access to the relay bank, and sooner or later to change the air filter.
Thanks

RickW
06-12-2015, 05:50 PM
I did use the Rack Mount Kit

There is no need to use the tapered bolt seats, as the OEM bolts are easily inserted through the Corbin seat unlike the OEM seat.

The tail of the Corbin seat extends beneath the luggage rack. There is only one way and one location to install the seat and all six seat bolts are properly located and used. I also found only one way/location to mount the rack. Am I missing something?

I did not realize the back of that seat came back so far. I forwarded a link for this thread to our friends at Big Parts.

ths61
06-12-2015, 07:01 PM
This issue isn't any different than the OEM backrest which also covers the back of the seat.

http://motorcycleppf.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/2013-goldwing-F6B-passenger-backrest.jpg

Davidk
06-12-2015, 08:24 PM
This issue isn't any different than the OEM backrest which also covers the back of the seat.

Agreed, but the bolts for the luggage rack are not easily assessable like they are on the OEM backrest, making it a pain in the ass to remove and reinstall. I wouldn't care if the rack was easily removable.

Davidk
06-12-2015, 08:28 PM
I did not realize the back of that seat came back so far. I forwarded a link for this thread to our friends at Big Parts.

I doubt that I am the first to discover this the hard way, but if they want to reward me for my discovery with a new, redesigned rack I would not turn it down :) Thanks for letting them know.

By the way, I purchased the rack from your shop Rick.