PDA

View Full Version : Windows 10

Trike lady
06-11-2015, 08:47 PM
Any one going to give Windows 10 a try?
I am running the 'Live CD' for Xubuntu, as I don't like a lot of bells and whistles on my computer. :duck:

F6B1911
06-11-2015, 08:49 PM
Get a Mac.
Just like your F6B, rock solid, reliable, and fun.

chipmaker
06-11-2015, 09:13 PM
I got the offer to free upgrade, I'll try it...

MarcPW
06-11-2015, 09:46 PM
Get a Mac.
Just like your F6B, rock solid, reliable, and fun.

:yes:

BIGLRY
06-11-2015, 10:12 PM
Don't want it, don't need it, ain't going to use it, but I'm sure there are some that do and will.:301:
http://itsfoss.itsfoss.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Windows10_Linux.jpg

Steve 0080
06-12-2015, 12:01 AM
Mac for me...never looked back !

ths61
06-12-2015, 12:11 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5HZMnH3oj4

Fla_rider
06-12-2015, 05:46 AM
Mac for me...never looked back !

+1 :yes: Mac Mini, Ipad Mini 2, Iphone 6 - been Apple my whole life not switching now!

53driver
06-12-2015, 06:44 AM
Been building PCs for 30 years, starting with an 8086 chip in 1984.
My latest creation is a 5 year old Mac "Faux" running two quad-core CPUs, 16 GB RAM, dual 24" screens, and three 1 terabyte drives in a RAID configuration.
I keep a Win7 machine handy for Quicken, because Intuit decided that Mac users don't invest money or bother to track their business money.

Win10 is starting to fall into the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" category. Win7 was stable enough. Not sure what Win10 is offering.

My advice is don't switch (I didn't use 'upgrade' for a reason) unless you realize a tangible benefit to doing so.

stevenolts
06-12-2015, 07:50 AM
You need to build a VMware server and then you just create a Virtual Machine with any OS you like. Great for testing and training.
Steve

Hornblower
06-12-2015, 07:54 AM
I'm one that's open to trying new things so yes, I am already registered to try it. Sometimes though, I do regret trying new things but then again, it's rewarding when it works.

stevenolts
06-12-2015, 07:54 AM
Well what is the consensus for those of you that have installed this? Is it any good? Are there a lot of bugs or issues? Did you wipe the system before the install or did you do an upgrade? Is it worth my time to install and test?

I would say my two loves motorcycles and computers but that would be a lie. Computers just allow me to pay for the motorcycles.
Steve

53driver
06-12-2015, 08:10 AM
You need to build a VMware server and then you just create a Virtual Machine with any OS you like. Great for testing and training.
Steve

That's on the list...somewhere after "helibars."

Old Ryder
06-12-2015, 06:08 PM
Nudder Mac guy here since 2010-- IMac PC, 2 Ipads and IP6 for me and IP5 for the wife. Old man machines. Can't deal with Windows frustrations anymore!

srt8-in-largo
06-13-2015, 09:52 PM
Here we go again...

Well, be sure to read up on the differences before you take the plunge. IIUC, Win10 omits quite a few things that Win7 users may miss.

I'll stick with Win7 for as long as it's supported.

BIGLRY
06-13-2015, 10:04 PM
Here we go again...

Well, be sure to read up on the differences before you take the plunge. IIUC, Win10 omits quite a few things that Win7 users may miss.

I'll stick with Win7 for as long as it's supported.http://www.simonlittlebass.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Thumbs-Up.jpg

Trike lady
07-23-2015, 05:36 PM
Been building PCs for 30 years, starting with an 8086 chip in 1984.
My latest creation is a 5 year old Mac "Faux" running two quad-core CPUs, 16 GB RAM, dual 24" screens, and three 1 terabyte drives in a RAID configuration.
I keep a Win7 machine handy for Quicken, because Intuit decided that Mac users don't invest money or bother to track their business money.

Win10 is starting to fall into the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" category. Win7 was stable enough. Not sure what Win10 is offering.

My advice is don't switch (I didn't use 'upgrade' for a reason) unless you realize a tangible benefit to doing so.
Sounds like you have a 'Gaming' system.

I am running a dual boot on my laptop, Windows7/Xubuntu.

F6B1911
07-23-2015, 08:03 PM
Has anyone really read a Microsoft EULA ?
If not, read the Windows 10 EULA, scary stuff.

I'll stick with my iMac. Never purchased any Anti-Virus product, never had a pop-up, never crashed, it just works.... and it's a late 2007 model.

mrhatch
07-24-2015, 11:40 AM
Wow, never figured this many geeks on here! I knew I liked this place for a reason. I will probably upgrade my least used machine to Win 10 to check it out but not sure if there is any real benefit other than the fact that someone else in my extended family will do it and start asking questions I can't answer. I have used just about every OS out there over the last 30 years or so and currently work on 3 different versions of Windows, a Mac and two flavors of Linux. Of course that is why the computers are left home idle on weekends and the bike is running!

Trike lady
07-24-2015, 01:44 PM
Has anyone really read a Microsoft EULA ?
If not, read the Windows 10 EULA, scary stuff.

I'll stick with my iMac. Never purchased any Anti-Virus product, never had a pop-up, never crashed, it just works.... and it's a late 2007 model.
Since you mentioned it I took a look and I want nothing to do with it. I'm not keen on taking forced updates that can/may upset the operation of the computer.
I'm working with Xubuntu as a back up I'm running 14.04.01 and what I like about it is that it has all the features I use; FireFox, Thunderbird, a word program and one for photo editing that I haven't tried yet.

BuzzzPhotos
07-25-2015, 03:02 PM
7pro in my office is still working great. Went Mac on everything at my home office & love them smooth integration. I'll watch to see what you guys think about Windows 10.

GNW
08-04-2015, 12:59 PM
Yes, I did it.
Had reservations, but . . . .
I like it so far.
Getting acclimated and it's all good so far.
Seems to be faster than 8.1.

F6B1911
08-04-2015, 04:03 PM
Yes, I did it.
Had reservations, but . . . .
I like it so far.
Getting acclimated and it's all good so far.
Seems to be faster than 8.1.

Glad to hear that..... for the users who have not yet upgraded, be aware of the current scam, looks like someone is emailing a ransomware link, which will encrypt your files then force you to pay to get them unencrypted.
Key thing to note here is that Microsoft will not email you about upgrading, especially with a file attachment.

Hornblower
08-10-2015, 10:35 AM
Just upgraded from 7 to 10. It all went as expected except for one glitch with my audio driver. All it took was removing that driver and letting the system install a new one. I use File Hippo App Manager to spot needed program updates and my new OS is running very nicely. From my reading, the general consensus seems to be, if you like 7, you'll love 10 and that's certainly true for me. I did NOT go with the new Edge browser however and am sticking with Chrome for now. In a nutshell, I'm glad I updated :yes:.

ths61
08-10-2015, 11:21 AM
Don't want it, don't need it, ain't going to use it, but I'm sure there are some that do and will.:301:
http://itsfoss.itsfoss.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Windows10_Linux.jpg

Bill Gates should have bought a Unix distro instead of DOS.

GNW
08-10-2015, 03:32 PM
Just upgraded from 7 to 10. It all went as expected except for one glitch with my audio driver. All it took was removing that driver and letting the system install a new one. I use File Hippo App Manager to spot needed program updates and my new OS is running very nicely. From my reading, the general consensus seems to be, if you like 7, you'll love 10 and that's certainly true for me. I did NOT go with the new Edge browser however and am sticking with Chrome for now. In a nutshell, I'm glad I updated :yes:.

Horn Man looks like we are taking one for the team !!

Hornblower
08-10-2015, 05:30 PM
Horn Man looks like we are taking one for the team !!

We ain't skeered :yikes:

ths61
08-11-2015, 11:44 PM
FAIL: Windows 10 bulk patch produces INFINITE CRASH LOOP

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/08/11/windows_10_download_bricks_pcs_kb3081424/

"...
Microsoft’s first update to Windows 10 is bricking some users’ PCs.

The cumulative update is rebooting after getting part way through the installation process on x64-based systems without completing set up. The update is KB3081424.

The problem has been reported, here, on Microsoft's official forums. In the case of one user, the problem has felled a PC that’s joined to a domain.

User BrettDM wrote:

“Downloads, reboot to install. Gets to 30% and reboots. Gets yo [sic] 59% and reboots. Gets to 59% again and then states something went wrong so uninstalling the update. Wait a few minutes and reboot. Back to login screen This happens without fail, every single time.”

Domain-attached PCs running Windows 7 were, it emerged last week, being stuffed unwillingly with Windows 10 updates.

That was contrary to what Microsoft said would happen, here. The firm has so far failed to provide a credible explanation for what exactly has gone wrong.

Those suffering from the latest problem reported that the Windows 10 infinite crash loop was stopped by removing security identifiers for users that no longer existed in the Windows registry.

The fix, however, hasn’t worked for all.

It’s the second update glitch to hit Window 10: update KB3074681 came days before the big launch and crashed file explorer while there were also problems with Nvidia drivers. ®
..."

Paul B Blues
08-12-2015, 11:41 AM
Just bought myself an iMac, and love it. Couple of friends have upgraded to Windows 10 and are not happy with the changes. Each to their own I guess.'all/right'

Canuck_Doug
08-12-2015, 12:00 PM
Upgraded my wife’s notebook from win 7 to 10 last weekend. I used her machine as a guinea pig. It looks a lot more like Win 7 than Win 8, which I is a good thing. Initial impression is it's much quicker especially Edge, the new browser.

RickJ
08-12-2015, 01:04 PM
Got ten, like all of them. I was pleasantly surprised. I did have to be patient with the download though...step away from the computer and wait!!