PDA

View Full Version : Trip tools

Pap
06-13-2015, 10:02 AM
OK all,
I tried the search, but didn't find any threads on this.
What tools do you recommend to take with you on a trip?
I'm planning to take a small crescent wrench, needle-nose pliers, Channel lock pliers, Phillips and straight screw driver and duct tape.
What size Allen wrenches should I take?
Anything I'm missing?
Thanks

DaWadd
06-13-2015, 10:09 AM
Set of metric allen wrenches and may I suggest an mini compressor and tire plugs (just in case). Small flashlight too."coffee"

bob109
06-13-2015, 10:14 AM
Set of metric allen wrenches and may I suggest an mini compressor and tire plugs (just in case). Small flashlight too."coffee"

+1

Pap
06-13-2015, 10:25 AM
Good idea with the flashlight. I can wrap the duct tape around it to save space. :yes:

I will look for a small air compressor.

Steve 0080
06-13-2015, 10:30 AM
Looks good to me...

bertrider
06-13-2015, 11:02 AM
Can I suggest one more small item(s)? Some small and larger zip ties. Just a few. They take up no space and you would be surprised what you can use them for. That Honda is probably not going to need a wrench on it but other things might. I've used zip ties on my friend's brake linkage and another as a zipper pull on a jacket.

53driver
06-13-2015, 11:09 AM
+1 to zip ties.
You can never have too many Mag Lites or Zip ties.

And I realize most of us have one for EDC, but a nice sharp folding knife is always good to have.

Pap
06-13-2015, 11:40 AM
Zip ties and a sharp knife, good ideas!
Its always the little things you don't think about!

ths61
06-13-2015, 11:51 AM
FWIW, I keep an LED headlamp on the bike so I can work hands free. They are small and light and come in handy. You can get them from sporting goods and climbing stores.

53driver
06-13-2015, 11:53 AM
FWIW, I keep an LED headlamp on the bike so I can work hands free. They are small and light and come in handy. You can get them from sporting goods and climbing stores.

Freakin' geeky as all hell, but I have one too!
And, a 6x6 tarp, unless that's already part of your camping gear.

For some reason, bad things always seem to happen at night, in the rain.

choptop
06-13-2015, 12:01 PM
the 25th I leave for a Yellowstone trip w/predominately Harley riders, I am pulling my Bushtec, they are hauling , on their bikes, what they need for a 10 day trip, I felt obligated to haul stuff to cover every bodies ass as much as possible so this is a preparation post I posted on our forum : 14516.1

Some talk this last weekend concerning Yellowstone and necessities in case of possible breakdowns or roadside maintenance. Concern was limited space for a 10 day trip w/out even hauling maintenance tools/supplies and people hauling duplicate items. As of this posting, this is what I am hauling. Tire plug kit,DOT "4" brake fluid,Jumper cables,300 Psi air compressor, foot pump, (2) 22 oz gas canisters, black duct Tape, electrical tape, 6/12 volt circuit tester, electronic ac/dc/olm testing devise, 4"/8"/21" cable ties, small/big vice grip, needle nose, adj wench lol, misc punch,files,wrenches, metric/standard 1/4 / 3/8", screw drivers, electrical splicing tool terminal kit, some lock tight, battery powered dremmel, hammer, can of tire /flat fix stuff, misc cleaning supplies and what ever else I figure out over the next couple of weeks.:icon_wink:
Lol

ths61
06-13-2015, 12:07 PM
Freakin' geeky as all hell, but I have one too!
And, a 6x6 tarp, unless that's already part of your camping gear.

For some reason, bad things always seem to happen at night, in the rain.

+ 1 on the tarp.

I don't worry about fashion when I am crawling through attic fiberglass insulation or a crawlspace under the house, nor trying to see inside the cowling in the dark. My first priority is to finish the task at hand and get out (or back on the road) ASAP.

BIGLRY
06-13-2015, 12:09 PM
the 25th I leave for a Yellowstone trip w/predominately Harley riders, I am pulling my Bushtec, they are hauling , on their bikes, what they need for a 10 day trip, I felt obligated to haul stuff to cover every bodies ass as much as possible so this is a preparation post I posted on our forum : 14516.1

Some talk this last weekend concerning Yellowstone and necessities in case of possible breakdowns or roadside maintenance. Concern was limited space for a 10 day trip w/out even hauling maintenance tools/supplies and people hauling duplicate items. As of this posting, this is what I am hauling. Tire plug kit,DOT "4" brake fluid,Jumper cables,300 Psi air compressor, foot pump, (2) 22 oz gas canisters, black duct Tape, electrical tape, 6/12 volt circuit tester, electronic ac/dc/olm testing devise, 4"/8"/21" cable ties, small/big vice grip, needle nose, adj wench lol, misc punch,files,wrenches, metric/standard 1/4 / 3/8", screw drivers, electrical splicing tool terminal kit, some lock tight, battery powered dremmel, hammer, can of tire /flat fix stuff, misc cleaning supplies and what ever else I figure out over the next couple of weeks.:icon_wink:
Lol:icon_biggrin: throw in a CNC machine and a drill press and you could build an HD:lolup:

Personally "ccsmiley" never leave home without them.

Ridlikhel
06-13-2015, 12:09 PM
Can of Fix a Flat goes a long way and has saved me a couple times. At least it will get you to the next stop.

seadog
06-13-2015, 12:22 PM
Good idea with the flashlight. I can wrap the duct tape around it to save space. :yes:

I will look for a small air compressor.

Slime has a wonderfully small compressor that will inflate anything on your ride. Combine with some good plugs is all you will need for tire inflation and make sure your insurance carrier has road side assistance insurance incase you hit something that can't be fixed on the highway
Just google Slime small Compressors and look at the 40019 compressor it comes with everything you need to hook it up to the bike
I would also like to recommend the Stop and Go Pocket Plugger the one without the CO2 canisters cause if you have the compressor you don't need CO2.
Both these pieces are very compact and don't take up a lot of room and work very well when you need them. Check them out.

seadog
06-13-2015, 01:02 PM
The credit cards are a must have item, my buddy hit a piece of steel at a railroad track crossing and took out both tires on his ride, well when all was said and done, bike had to be picked up and hauled to the nearest dealer and two tires installed and balanced the bill was almost 8 hundred bucks. So yes, big plus on the credit cards
:clap2::clap2::clap2:

Redlinez
06-13-2015, 03:22 PM
I have a Photon Micro lite on my keychain.

stroguy
06-13-2015, 03:36 PM
Now that's a flashlight!

http://www.batteryjunction.com/fenix-pd22-g2.html

One of my EDC lights. If you've never seen the brightness of a CREE you ain't not seen nothing.

Also has SOS to flash that passing Coast Guard C-130 when you are lost in the desert or Yukon or downtown Brooklyn.

srt8-in-largo
06-13-2015, 08:47 PM
8, 10, 12 mm box wrenches
8, 10, 12 mm sockets, socket driver, and extension
5, 6 mm allen wrenches (or sockets)
medium philips screwdriver
medium flat screwdriver

^^^ These here will disassemble just about anything on the bike.

I'd be tempted to just fill the tires with Rideon and fuggedabout trying to lug a compressor around.

Pap
06-13-2015, 09:11 PM
medium flat screwdriver

I'd be tempted to just fill the tires with Rideon and fuggedabout trying to lug a compressor around.

Thanks!
This is what I was looking for so I didn't need to take sizes I didn't need.
Just picked up some RideOn. Putting it in my front and new Darkside rear.

choptop
06-13-2015, 09:15 PM
medium flat screwdriver

Yes, thanks.

shooter
06-13-2015, 09:21 PM
Cruz Tools makes several nice metric sets.

srt8-in-largo
06-13-2015, 09:33 PM
Thanks!
This is what I was looking for so I didn't need to take sizes I didn't need.
Just picked up some RideOn. Putting it in my front and new Darkside rear.

Rears are punctured more often than fronts.

Sorcerer
06-13-2015, 09:53 PM
I built a tool kit for trips. It contained a torqe wrench big enough to remove and reinstall rear rim. Sockets / Allen sockets to remove front fender and wheel and a JIS cross point screw driver. Stop&Go mushroom plug kit and a Slim air pump. If I can't fix with this stuff it's most likely going to need a roll back hauler any way.

co425
06-14-2015, 12:30 PM
Since no one has put it out there, a good set of Allen sockets in metric and standard. Tons of Harley and as we know Honda bits are held together with allens.

srt8-in-largo
06-14-2015, 01:53 PM
I'm not aware of any standard allen fittings on the bike... and I've probably done more maintenance and tear-down than most; save space by not including these.

co425
06-14-2015, 01:57 PM
I'm not aware of any standard allen fittings on the bike... and I've probably done more maintenance and tear-down than most; save space by not including these.

Nope not on the F6B, but he said he's trying to prep for the Harley's he's riding with too. I know older Harley's have standard allens on them. Couldn't say about new Harley's. Have they gone metric as well?

53driver
06-14-2015, 02:12 PM
Well, given this thread:
http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?6248-Big-THANKS!-to-Show-Low-Motorsports
...perhaps a brake bolt and some loctite are in order as well......

srt8-in-largo
06-14-2015, 07:11 PM
Nope not on the F6B, but he said he's trying to prep for the Harley's he's riding with too. I know older Harley's have standard allens on them. Couldn't say about new Harley's. Have they gone metric as well?

Argh; my bad.

Idk about Harley but my Chrysler has both, I wish it was one or the other.

co425
06-14-2015, 08:04 PM
Argh; my bad.

Idk about Harley but my Chrysler has both, I wish it was one or the other.

No kidding, that crap drives me nuts. Unfortunately the cummins I put my 74 Ford is metric everything else is standard.

srt8-in-largo
06-14-2015, 08:27 PM
No kidding, that crap drives me nuts. Unfortunately the cummins I put my 74 Ford is metric everything else is standard.

I briefed through that mammoth thread about your truck. Well done, and one helluva cool project!! Maybe you can introduce the guys here to it in the off topic section.

co425
06-15-2015, 12:10 AM
I briefed through that mammoth thread about your truck. Well done, and one helluva cool project!! Maybe you can introduce the guys here to it in the off topic section.

Just so y'all know I'm not intending to hijack.

Thanks for the compliment.

Bruce B
06-15-2015, 09:57 AM
For the air compressor, it's hard to beat the "Cycle Pump", a favorite with Alaskan riders, etc. From my own experience, I'd swear you could pump up the tires on an 18 wheeler with it. Heavy duty and durable but very compact. Also, from experience, I'd recommend the "Stop and Go Pocket Plugger". Canned aerosol products may work well but if you have a large leak that doesn't get sealed and filled with the cans on hand, you are totally out of luck. The plugs and compressor are really worth carrying.

Pap
06-15-2015, 05:20 PM
I built a tool kit for trips. It contained a torqe wrench big enough to remove and reinstall rear rim. Sockets / Allen sockets to remove front fender and wheel and a JIS cross point screw driver. Stop&Go mushroom plug kit and a Slim air pump. If I can't fix with this stuff it's most likely going to need a roll back hauler any way.

What is the difference between "regular and JIS screw drivers?
Just looked up the stop n go plugs. I think I will find me a set of these

DaWadd
06-15-2015, 05:29 PM
Also a vote for the Cycle Pump. Great unit.:yes:

Hornblower
06-15-2015, 06:51 PM
What is the difference between "regular and JIS screw drivers?
Just looked up the stop n go plugs. I think I will find me a set of these

Hi, Pap! Some call JIS the Japanese Phillips. That's not a bad description. Here is a link that explains that a bit better:

http://www.instructables.com/id/When-a-Phillips-is-not-a-Phillips/step10/JIS-Japanese-Industrial-Standard/

Pap
06-15-2015, 07:16 PM
Cool, now I understand.
Thanks Ken!:yes:

VP8
06-15-2015, 07:29 PM
In my saddlebag tool kit, I have:
Motopump air compressor (great pump... also has a built in air gage... and accurate too)
Dynaplugs (must always be prepared for a flat... you are not always in an area that gets cell reception to call AAA)
Needle nose pliers.
Small Metric socket wrench kit
Metric hex key set
Small crescent wrench
screwdriver with swappable bits
Medium sized Mag light
3 LED Road Hazard lights

And a first aid kit

Pap
06-15-2015, 07:39 PM
In my saddlebag tool kit, I have:
Motopump air compressor (great pump... also has a built in air gage... and accurate too)
Dynaplugs (must always be prepared for a flat... you are not always in an area that gets cell reception to call AAA)
Needle nose pliers.
Small Metric socket wrench kit
Metric hex key set
Small crescent wrench
screwdriver with swappable bits
Medium sized Mag light
3 LED Road Hazard lights

And a first aid kit

First aid kit...Duh !! Never thought of that either:icon_doh: