PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else just can't get comfortable?

toy_collector
06-13-2015, 03:06 PM
I have now tried the stock seat with the show chrome (aka smart mount) backrest, the mustang seat and now the ultimate mid rider with the driver back rest. I also have the kuryakyn pull back risers and mini floor boards. After some modifications to the show chrome back rest that setup is the best but it still hurts the bottom of my legs after a couple hundred miles. The mustang seat is the worst because I'm bent over due to no back rest and it feels like I'm squishing my liver. The ultimate has me up so high and close that my windshield doesn't work (large clearview) and the drivers back rest is very uncomfortable pushing on my mid to upper back. In order of comfort for me (6' 1" and 32" inseam) is from best to worst:

Stock seat with show chrome back rest modified and risers
Ultimate mid rider with risers and no driver backrest
Mustang seat with risers
Stock seat with risers (no back rest)
Ultimate seat with back rest and risers

The good news is I have become very good and fast at changing seats. The bad news is I've spent a fortune and now I've screwed up the padding on my stock seat while trying to modify it for the bottom of my legs. I'm about ready to punt and sell the whole damn thing.

hiflyer
06-13-2015, 03:22 PM
I have now tried the stock seat with the show chrome (aka smart mount) backrest, the mustang seat and now the ultimate mid rider with the driver back rest. I also have the kuryakyn pull back risers and mini floor boards. After some modifications to the show chrome back rest that setup is the best but it still hurts the bottom of my legs after a couple hundred miles.

I too had trouble getting comfortable, tried the Ultimate, it's now being sold by the third owner, none of us liked being higher and pushed forward. Tried the Mustang, and that came off after just 15 miles with my bad back. I now use the stock seat again, with a modified backrest, and switch between riding with an Airhawk, or a mesh pad, or without any pad, and can say that I can make many many miles this way. Have ridden a 1k mile day doing this, and just last Saturday 450 miles in under 7 hours. I also get some use out of the Rivco highway pegs. I usually don't put both feet out, but one at a time to take some pressure off of each side of the old posterior. I don't care what bike I've had, I would get uncomfortable after some time. The above mentioned choices work for me.

stroguy
06-13-2015, 03:29 PM
Other than some buttcrackidis I find the stocker quite comfortable. At refill I stretch and unwind and dewedgie and then am ready for more. Sorry to hear your ills.

Old Ryder
06-13-2015, 03:47 PM
Setup# 1---Stock seat-- pushed me too far forward, but worked well with Klockwerks shield. Kury ERGO pegs helped--Rocky's Risers put the bars perfect. Went to the Baggershield for better wind management-not happy with looks

Setup# 2--- Went to Mustang seat. Set me too low, but I liked being pushed back with the Kury Mini Boards, but now reaching for the bars & knees are now higher than my hips and now you insert a beer gut between knees, well...

Setup# 3---Went to Ultimate King Boy. Set me way higher and back further. Loved that!!! Installed $800 Helibars and reaching still further--gerrrhhh--bought Rockys back--Kury Mini Boards and King seat work well. I just got to install the Rockys again below the Helibars and I should be good to go. Sooooo, it took me 3 seats, 4 shields and 3 (combined) risers/bars combo. If my wife knew what I have spent trying to make this bike fit...................Cry me a river :tomatohit: :icon_wink:

opas ride
06-13-2015, 04:23 PM
As painful as it sounds both mentally and financially, maybe it is time to sell/trade the F6B's that don't fit and get yourself on a bike that is more suitable for your size and style...Riding is no fun, or enjoyable, when nothing but butts and backs begin to take away the experience!!..Sorry you guys are struggling so much...I am 5'9" about 195lbs and 75+ years old, and with the Mustang seat, Baggershield and stock bars, I am good to go until I get tired, then I get off, stretch for a few minutes and go again until I need to stop...Hope you can work things out...BTW, the absolute most comfortable bike with fairing, windshield, seat, bars, floorboards, etc..was my Victory Vision which I could ride for hours on the road with no dis-comfort at all...As I don't ride long distances much anymore I opted for the F6B on my last trade and truly love the thing....Nothing out there now I would even consider at this point...Ride safe

choptop
06-13-2015, 04:32 PM
At 5' almost 9" , 31 sometimes 32" inseam, the seat, being wide in the front, spreads my hips far enough apart that it hurts. Imagine sitting in a computer chair and trying to spread your knees as far apart from each other as you can. It usually takes me about a month of riding to get back to were it doesn't hurt. With the Yellowstone trip less than 2 weeks away I am dealing w/a bit of a sciatic nerve issue in my left leg, very hard to get comfortable and makes the leg weak and hard to lift up off the peg...

Steve 0080
06-13-2015, 05:27 PM
Be carefull...nothing worse than not knowing if you foot is on the ground or not and even if it/you can hold up the bike...

53driver
06-13-2015, 05:34 PM
2 herniated discs, 30" inseam, 5'9" in the AM, 5'8" in the PM, 200 lbs +/- 5%.
Stock seat, AeroPegs, stock handlebars, slipstream tinted shield (slightly higher than stock), 1000 mile day - no problem.

I confess I do take 2 ibuprofen prior to the get-go just to keep swelling down over a long day.

Steve 0080
06-13-2015, 05:42 PM
Sounds like we need to get around the tent at the rally and go over scars and ailments and meds......:clap2::clap2::clap2:

tozco
06-13-2015, 05:59 PM
I know there is the odd large rider that can make this bike work, but for many it just feels too cramped. Funny I didn't see it when I took two test rides. I loved the big flat seat and what I thought was a neutral riding position. But I can't get comfortable either and I'm not jazzed about changing anything. Thinking about selling, but still on the fence.

seadog
06-13-2015, 06:19 PM
Has anyone tried Day Long Custom made seats? I am going to send my stocker to them this winter when the bike is in storage and let them make me a custom seat. They use the stock seat pan and have you take pictures of you on the stock seat and get your height, weight, inseam measurement and build you a seat out of your stocker. Big Larry swears by them and I might be by next summer too. They are cheaper than Mustangs, or Ultimates, Corbin and the like. Sound to me like we are all beating our heads against a wall and spending way too much money to achieve our comfort. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

stroguy
06-13-2015, 07:42 PM
BIGLRY swears by DL.

BIGLRY
06-13-2015, 08:57 PM
I know of three other F6B board members who now ride and love their Russell Daylong saddles and I suppose there are a few more out there. Also quite a few VTX owners on my forum ride a Daylong. If I'm going more then a 100 miles I will ride no other.

I to have some physical issues like some of you old guys(I'm 65). I broke my neck in 2002 an have bone grafts and a titanium X brace holding it all together at the c4/c5 then in 2005 I had my chest crushed (lost conformity) and left shoulder ripped apart causing nerve damage(can't lift left arm more than chest high now) in a "no brakes" 750 foot ride off a 45 degree slope, then over a cliff. I had the 14 ton piece of equipment I was operating roll over on me causing the issues, so you see I demand and must have comfort when I ride and a custom fitted Daylong fills the bill. You can read all about the accident with a few pic here http://www.californiavtxriders.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=11591 (http://www.californiavtxriders.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=11591&hilit)

I have a Daylong on my F6B, VTX1800 "C", 2004 Rune and having one made for my 2009 KLR 650 this winter. I do not run one on my turbo X as I only ride it 100 miles or less a day, but boy is it a fast 100 miles.:icon_lol:

powercruzer13
06-13-2015, 10:35 PM
Ultimate Mid with backrest is working good for me. I do wish it didn't sit me up higher but the setback is perfect. Still toying with the idea of raising my Klockwerks w/s 1" & then it would be perfect.
Still not as comfy overall as I was on my Valk with a King Big Boy but I haven't got the miles on the B that I had on the Valkyrie.

motozeke
06-13-2015, 10:45 PM
At 5' almost 9" , 31 sometimes 32" inseam, the seat, being wide in the front, spreads my hips far enough apart that it hurts. Imagine sitting in a computer chair and trying to spread your knees as far apart from each other as you can. It usually takes me about a month of riding to get back to were it doesn't hurt. With the Yellowstone trip less than 2 weeks away I am dealing w/a bit of a sciatic nerve issue in my left leg, very hard to get comfortable and makes the leg weak and hard to lift up off the peg...

That's my #1 wish about this bike--not cruise or reverse or traction control or any such thing--just to be more narrow at the waist. Not a big deal for sure, but it would be nice.

motozeke
06-13-2015, 10:48 PM
That's my #1 wish about this bike--not cruise or reverse or traction control or any such thing--just to be more narrow at the waist. Not a big deal for sure, but it would be nice.

By the way, the stock seat is just fine by me. All day comfort. Don't need a backrest or highway pegs. This bike is phenomenally comfortable for me.

Guys... this one's gonna be a hard message... but the best thing you can do to make riding long distances more comfortable is to lose the gut and get your butt into shape. Hanging 30+ pounds above your beltline and coupling that with a weak core is going to make riding a lot more unpleasant.

hiflyer
06-13-2015, 10:54 PM
I know of three other F6B board members who now ride and love their Russell Daylong saddles and I suppose there are a few

I to have some physical issues like some of you old guys(I'm 65). I broke my neck in 2002 an have bone grafts and a titanium X brace holding it all together at the c4/c5 then in 2005 I had my chest crushed (lost conformity) and left shoulder ripped apart causing nerve damage(can't lift left arm more than chest high now) in a "no brakes" 750 foot ride off a 45 degree slope, then over a cliff. I had the 14 ton piece of equipment I was operating roll over on me causing the issues, so you see I demand and must have comfort when I ride and a custom fitted Daylong fills the bill. You can read all about the accident with a few pic here http://www.californiavtxriders.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=11591 (http://www.californiavtxriders.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=11591&hilit)

:

Gotta say Larry, that's one ride I don't want to make.

valkmc
06-14-2015, 07:20 AM
By the way, the stock seat is just fine by me. All day comfort. Don't need a backrest or highway pegs. This bike is phenomenally comfortable for me.

Guys... this one's gonna be a hard message... but the best thing you can do to make riding long distances more comfortable is to lose the gut and get your butt into shape. Hanging 30+ pounds above your beltline and coupling that with a weak core is going to make riding a lot more unpleasant.

I agree and I know from experience. 20lbs made a huge difference for me. I found out during prep for a ride from Fl to Ak. I decided to get in shape and found out my tolerance for miles on my C-14 went up. 3.5 miles walking (I quit jogging several years ago) and some light weight lifting daily made a huge difference. I have the stock seat and like it. I do wish the rise to the passenger seat was not sloped as much as it is. I liked the way it was on my 12 Wing. I'm considering having someone alter just that for me.

Old Ryder
06-14-2015, 07:56 AM

In a perfect world you are correct. Guys are spending gobs of money trying to get the bike to fit them---making the person fit the bike is not as simple as 6 trips to the health food store and 5 months at the gym. Check out my picture---how do I get my legs 4 inches shorter to get the knees below the hips? Cut off 4 inches? :nono: This is on a seat that pushed me back a few inches and Mini boards that are 3/4" lower than normal. So getting the legs straight suddenly makes my arms 3 inches too short. I lost 50 lbs last year and that did help, but I fit my Victory at 270 lbs a lot better than I fit the B at 220. I believe a lot of guys here are coming from sport bikes and are used to the "multi-angle-riding position".

I also think what everybody is saying is that there is not a lot of "adjustability" on this bike, and I think that has to do with the wide engine right where your feet should be. The advantage of the V Twin is that the engine is narrow enough to make it adjustable for a large variety of sizes and shapes of bodies--- the B--not so much. As I have gotten older, I have a lot of friends that have a number of health problems and take meds that prevent them from "just loose the gut and getting that body in shape". BTW---check the poll/thread asking the ages of the riders and you will find this is a "mature" riding group. :icon_cool: I have been blessed with great health, but I still spend 30 minutes every day-- 7 days a week on an eliptical and Bowflex just to maintain what I do have and have been doing it for over 15 years while working a full time job. It is hard enough doing it for my health, and not just to make bike riding more comfortable. Much easier to just buy a new seat and risers. :duck:

grendl
06-14-2015, 11:28 AM
My first long ride with the stock seat and backrest had my back begging for mercy at about 300 miles. Seemed like every bump was jabbing at the base of my spine.I had thought then the first money in a limited budget was going to the Mustang.
At some point that went away - I dont know if I broke the seat in or it broke me in. Now my rides are all good.No problems with the reach,I like the backrest being there as it keeps me stable when I take off .I can lean back into it and feel more comfortable on long rides.
I now have no real reason to change anything (I am 5'11 about 195-200 pounds have always been fairly athletic). At 65 going to 66 soon,the ol' arthritis is setting in but on the F6B I am comfortable.
Still like the Mustang seat for the look of it but to me the bike is comfortable. I have the forward footrest and almost never use them. On log runs,I find the passenger footrest fit me better if I want to change positions.
Debating other changes now is at the top of the list.What lights, center stand belly pan is money better spent and functional.
I would ask,based on my experience with the stock seat,when you make the changes are you riding the bike for a while,letting everything settle in as you get used to it,before jumping to something else?

tozco
06-14-2015, 12:19 PM
What Old Ryder said, the engine is in the way of the ideal rider interface for us larger guys. Six foot, two ten, not much gut going on here. Oh and size 13 boots. Some guys love it, but not all.

BuzzzPhotos
06-14-2015, 01:03 PM
Old Ryder seems to have the best advice. I need to get in better shape to make the long rides more comfortable. I have the Mustang and will alternate a gel pad & beads. Best wishes on your summer rides guys.

racer
06-14-2015, 02:27 PM
I bought a new Ultimate Mid-Rider. Don't find it any more comfy than the stocker, maybe less. It puts me forward a bit and now I get knee pain after about 125 miles which I never experienced on this bike before. Also puts pressure on a certain part of my underside where it is quite un-comfy after 400 miles or so. By day 4 of a 1700 mile round trip (400+ miles per day), I was ready to scrap the seat. But it looks so pretty!!

The rider backrest pushes me forward even more. For me, it is a bit more comfy without it. Everyone's comfort is different.

I'll keep it as a daily seat and swap the stocker back on for the long stuff. I probably should have gone with the Ultimate Big Boy, but at 6' it didn't seem necessary.

ff73148
06-14-2015, 03:52 PM
This thread will go on forever because we are all different and no motorcycle manufacturer seems to want to acknowledge that. They sell us long distance touring machines that have no adjustability to our different sizes. I'm 5'10" and 210 lbs. and for me it's a Corbin saddle. It works for me. No risers. I can sit on it all day and still be able to walk.

unsub
06-14-2015, 03:58 PM

:yes: +1 and I might add do not carry your wallet or anything else for that matter, in your back pockets. It's not the seat I guarantee that.

Bruce B
06-14-2015, 05:09 PM
I debated between the Russell Day Long and the Rick Mayer seats, both built in northern California. Both are built on the stock seat pan and both have an impeccable reputation with the Iron Butt guys. I believe the RDL is somewhat more popular. One Iron Butt guy told me that if their riders aren't on an RDL, they are on a Rick Mayer. Can't vouch for that myself. I went with the Rick Mayer because from conversations with both, it sounded like the RDL would put me a bit high for my 30 inch inseam. I also find the RM to be more attractive. Either builder will work with you individually. The Rick Mayer raised me a bit but not too much. I can still flat foot at stops. I also have the Utopia backrest which was installed for me by Rick as he built the seat. I had the Utopia and the stock passenger backrest recovered by Rick in the same material as the seat. In the end (pun intended) the result is determined by the butt. I can spend a full day in the saddle and find that I never give even a second thought to the seat or to my comfort. It's that good. I'm 72+ and comfort is important to me. I also have the Kury risers, Aero pegs, and for the best $10 you can ever spend, a Throttle Rocker.

BIGLRY
06-14-2015, 10:38 PM
I debated between the Russell Day Long and the Rick Mayer seats, both built in northern California. Both are built on the stock seat pan and both have an impeccable reputation with the Iron Butt guys. :yes:Rick Mayer custom made saddles would be my second choice if I could not get a RDL made. Rick makes a hell of a good saddle and I will sheepishly admit somewhat a tad more attractive than the RDL.:shhh:

Alberta Beagle
06-14-2015, 11:09 PM
I'm 6'1" 250 lbs and this bike fits me like a glove. 12 hours days in the stock seat with no back or butt issues at all. Have little stretch when I stop for fuel and a bit of a walk and 15 minutes later I'm back on the road till I need fuel again. Installed a 15" Baggershield the day I picked it up.
Today I added the Kury mini boards but prior I had no issues with the pegs, shifter or rear brake.
I have never had a bike that fit me so perfectly.

Beagle

co425
06-14-2015, 11:50 PM
The only thing I have to add is there is two different kinds of bike pain. One is position one is butt pain. Now for me the positioning is perfect. I'm 6'1" and 230-240 lbs. Now my derrière on the other hand was beating me up pretty good. It was the seams in my pants and my drawers. For a bit I swore the seat was causing my some sort of new pressure points. I finally figured out it was the damn seams. I switched to LD Comfort under shorts and a set of riding pants with no seams under my butt. I will tell you those two items made a world of difference. I did a 450 miler last week with no rear end pain issues whatsoever.

zman
06-17-2015, 10:42 PM
I know of three other F6B board members who now ride and love their Russell Daylong saddles and I suppose there are a few more out there. Also quite a few VTX owners on my forum ride a Daylong. If I'm going more then a 100 miles I will ride no other.

I have a Daylong on my F6B, VTX1800 "C", 2004 Rune and having one made for my 2009 KLR 650 this winter. I do not run one on my turbo X as I only ride it 100 miles or less a day, but boy is it a fast 100 miles.:icon_lol:

+1:yes: I just got my RDL last week. What a difference!! I rode 74k on an Ultimate on my VTX1800C but I like the RDL mucho better.

Navvet
06-18-2015, 12:06 AM
6' 6" , 300lbs (on a good day), 36/37" inseam .... Stock seat with an AirHawk for longer rides, Utopia backrest, Comfort controls by Roadsmith, Honda tall windshield .... Works well for me.

I am considering moving the handle bars some, still get a little tingle in my left shoulder after a few hundred miles ...

Brian D
06-18-2015, 05:01 AM
6ft3 230-235 depends on how much pizza the night before. Can't get comfy on this bike at all. I love this bike but it's gone after this riding season. Don't know for sure what I'm getting yet but im not willing to dump money into this bike and hope to get more comfortable. My local yamaha dealer told me that yamaha is coming out with a whole new big cc ------r line. I also sat on the bmw k1600 and r1200rt and both were pretty comfy. Who knows... but I do know I'm giving alot of thought on my next bike.

tozco
06-18-2015, 11:48 AM
I'm with you on that Brian. But I'm thinking about jumping ship sooner than later. The question is what to buy?
Most all bikes feel cramped to me except Victories, but after owning two of them I'm not going back. The fit and finish has steadily declined on them and the transmission is atrocious.
The Honda was a real leap for me, because I was never attracted to the looks or sound or the extreme level of refinement. But I thought I was going to rip off 500 mile backroad days (not the same a highway miles) in comfort on it. The thing is absolutely nowhere near comfortable for my body. So I'm left with a bike that just isn't working for me, and I'm shopping around.

Old Ryder
06-18-2015, 11:57 AM
I'm with you on that Brian. But I'm thinking about jumping ship sooner than later. The question is what to buy?
Most all bikes feel cramped to me except Victories, but after owning two of them I'm not going back. The fit and finish has steadily declined on them and the transmission is atrocious.
The Honda was a real leap for me, because I was never attracted to the looks or sound or the extreme level of refinement. But I thought I was going to rip off 500 mile backroad days (not the same a highway miles) in comfort on it. The thing is absolutely nowhere near comfortable for my body. So I'm left with a bike that just isn't working for me, and I'm shopping around.

If I were thinking like you----

Indian. I was impressed with the Dark Horse or Vintage at the demo ride in Daytona. Hi quality and great ride. Dealer network would be a serious concern to me, so it depends what you have close by.

ghostrider
06-18-2015, 12:25 PM
[Guys... this one's gonna be a hard message... but the best thing you can do to make riding long distances more comfortable is to lose the gut and get your butt into shape. Hanging 30+ pounds above your beltline and coupling that with a weak core is going to make riding a lot more unpleasant.[/QUOTE]

:yes: +1 Well said.

ths61
06-18-2015, 12:31 PM
..., so it depends what you have close by.

And how long the local dealer will last. We had 3 Victory dealers come and go in our area leaving their customers without support (with the interim dealers not having competently trained Victory wrenches).

Old Ryder
06-18-2015, 01:22 PM
And how long the local dealer will last. We had 3 Victory dealers come and go in our area leaving their customers without support (with the interim dealers not having competently trained Victory wrenches).

I did not say Victory---it is the Victory dealers fault that I am on the B today. The Indian dealer network is growing like crazy and they cannot build them bikes fast enough. A dealer franchise is a quarter mil to start and it cannot have other bikes on the same floor. And they are growing.

Indian will be here to stay---Not so sure about the Vic.

tozco
06-18-2015, 01:35 PM
I won't do another Vic or an Indian for that matter. I'm just not impressed with the support from Polaris. Regarding the gut, I'm in way above average shape for my age. I have a large frame and size 13D feet. My arms are big, my shoulders are wide, etc. My gut is trim. I am an avid cyclist.
Problem with the Honda for me is cramped feet, close together bars, bent knees, not good for me. What is good is the large flat seat, it's great and it threw me off when testing. I equated a large seat with roominess, but boy was I wrong. I put 9300 miles, all back roads, no interstate riding in just under the year I've had it. I think I've given myself time to acclimate. I did put better pegs and risers, an inch here or there isn't fixing what's wrong for me.

ths61
06-18-2015, 01:36 PM
I did not say Victory---it is the Victory dealers fault that I am on the B today. The Indian dealer network is growing like crazy and they cannot build them bikes fast enough. A dealer franchise is a quarter mil to start and it cannot have other bikes on the same floor. And they are growing.

Indian will be here to stay---Not so sure about the Vic.

I view them as the same, all owned by Polaris (maybe I shouldn't). I hope Indian is successful with its current reincarnation with Polaris. Indian's prior reincarnation didn't last very long.

Brian D
06-18-2015, 02:04 PM
I have a victory-Indian (Polaris) dealer a few miles up the road. Looked at a cross country and no way. I could wiggle the shifter like it was some cheap toy. Indian- no way. I'm 38 not 58. I have to say the Indian is nice looking but I'm not into the whole look. I love the beemers BUT there is only one dealer around pittsburgh. About 70miles from me. I'm gonna see what yamaha puts out. I hope it's this year. Yamaha ended the road star the stratoliner and roadliner so I'll wait and see what they put out. That Vulcan vaquero is a nice fit also. And I like the new road glides also. One good thing about hd is they hold there trade in and resale value better than any other bike. And for me that's a plus considering I see myself buying a new bike every 2-3yrs max but I'm also real leary of going back to hd my 13 roadglide was in the shop 5 times in a year for the same electrical problem. I'm not loyal to any one brand I just love to ride and I want minimal problems But I gotta wait till spring cause I'm one of the few Honda royally shafted when they cut the price on the f6b

Old Ryder
06-18-2015, 02:18 PM
I won't do another Vic or an Indian for that matter. I'm just not impressed with the support from Polaris.

Not going to argue with you there. The fact that their bikes are succeeding in spite of the company says a lot about the bikes.

I have a victory-Indian (Polaris) dealer a few miles up the road. Looked at a cross country and no way. I could wiggle the shifter like it was some cheap toy. Indian- no way. I'm 38 not 58. I have to say the Indian is nice looking but I'm not into the whole look.

CC is a fine machine but they are not for everybody. They do fit large people very well.

I have no doubt that this Indian is here to stay. They now have the resources and cash to stand on--- a really good design and a ton of fed up Harley guys that want a bike "like a Harley" only better built and Indian is the one!!!!! Hands Down! Those guys will not buy a Roadliner or Vulcan---but they will buy an Indian. If I were still into the V Twin thing, it would be an Indian, but I am quite sure the B is my last bike for a number of reasons. If you swap it out for another brand, then you will get a host of issues with that brand other than paint and rider position. I think I have got the combo that works for me, so I am good at this point. :yes:

toy_collector
06-18-2015, 03:41 PM
I will never buy another Harley after all the problems I've had with my last one. I haven't had one problem with the F6B and the majority of the comfort issues I now have I caused myself when I messed with the stock seat. I guess I was just expecting too much when I was hoping I could ride 500 miles in a day without getting sore. I'm really hoping the ultimate king seat will cure my self inflicted comfort issues. A guy I work with has the Vic cc and he loves it and it is ranked as one of the most comfortable bikes you can own. That might be my next one but hopefully I won't have to go that way for a long time.

racer
06-18-2015, 03:49 PM
I really can't go backwards to a vtwin. The performance and handling drop is just too large. I do a few long trips a year, a little potential discomfort on the 6 does not outweigh all those days of under performance on a twin.

Nope. Wouldn't make sense. .batman-smilie.

jm21ddd15
06-18-2015, 04:17 PM
Had many different brands and models in over 45 years of riding. Never found a "perfect" ride. Allways had something that needed tweeking and stuff to add. But for me, the "B" works very well, and I have some additions that increase my comfort. I think the bike is too awesome for me to trade for anything on the market today. :icon_biggrin:

ths61
06-18-2015, 04:32 PM
The GL1800 engine is its blessing and its curse for taller riders. The engine pulls like a freight train while being wide as a cow. Ergonomically (maybe not visually), it would be nice if they could scallop the cowling above the engine where the knees are at for narrower access to highway pegs.

I spent a lot of $$$ trying to get the power up on a V-Twin (only to cause other problems) which already had the comfort covered. This time, I am starting with more power than I was able to get by spending all of the $$$ on V-Twin performance mods and will tweak what I can on the ergonomics and electrical toys. In the end, I think I will have better reliability and fewer problems.

BIGLRY
06-18-2015, 04:39 PM
The GL1800 engine is its blessing and its curse for taller riders. The engine pulls like a freight train while being wide as a cow. Ergonomically (maybe not visually), it would be nice if they could scallop the cowling above the engine where the knees are at for narrower access to highway pegs.

I spent a lot of $$$ trying to get the power up on a V-Twin (only to cause other problems) which already had the comfort covered. This time, I am starting with more power than I was able to get by spending all of the $$$ on V-Twin performance mods and will tweak what I can on the ergonomics and electrical toys. In the end, I think I will have better reliability and fewer problems.
I agree 100%:icon_cool:

hiflyer
06-18-2015, 06:07 PM
I've got a Rick Meyer seat that I bought from a forum member when I first got my bike. It is such a POS that I never used it and will give it to anyone that will pay the shipping on it. WARNING, the foam has broken down, and the fit to the bike at the front of the seat looks like an amateur made it.

DaWadd
06-19-2015, 03:06 PM
Well it took me a Mustang seat, Madstad shield and highway pegs to get it comfy. I'm good for now."coffee" http://i987.photobucket.com/albums/ae351/JeffsAero/IMG_9475_zpsqutfi9lo.jpg (http://s987.photobucket.com/user/JeffsAero/media/IMG_9475_zpsqutfi9lo.jpg.html)

MDG1957
06-29-2015, 12:49 PM
I guess I am one of fortunate few that this bike seems to fit almost perfect right out of the box. I'm 57, 165, 5' 7-1/2", 29" inseam, with fairly short arms. I just got back from riding to SC from MD, and back (different days), about 600 miles each way. I found the stock seat, and the bike overall, very comfortable. The only riding position adjustment I have is Kury Ergo III pegs, so I can change position occaisionally. After making the same trip last year on the 950 V-Star that I traded in for the F6B, this was like riding on an easy chair . . . a very quick easy chair.

That said, I just ordered the Mustang seat because (a) it looks cool, and (b) I wouldn't mind getting a tad closer to the ground when I am stopped.

MotoMike
05-18-2016, 10:03 PM
Ghostrider hit the proverbial nail.
Guilty as charged, I absolutely know if I lose the 80+ # I have needed to lose for awhile, I will be a whole lot more comfy doing a LOT of things, not just pointing my new hotrod down the road.
Took delivery today of my new Deluxe, immediately grabbed the wife and hurled her onto the back and took off.
I started squirming around and the aze was numbing out after about 75 miles.
Ive had back probs for a decade plus, but Im not convinced I wouldnt be a whole lot more comfy once I get that ballast off.

pilotguy299
05-19-2016, 05:45 AM
I'm 5'10, 250# and a 30" inseam. The OEM seat would start hurting at about 30-45 minutes of riding, and I couldn't flat foot the bike.

I sent my seat to Mean City Cycles for work. They shaved the sides making it narrower, lowered the seat by about 1.5", installed memory foam in the seat and backrest, and added seat heaters.

Rode for almost 4 hours straight yesterday and no problems whatsoever. Well cagers are still a problem, but that has nothing to do with the seat. And now I can flat foot the bike in sneakers!

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/13040987_231478593907247_7150232168172472541_o.jpg

willtill
05-19-2016, 06:08 AM
https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/13040987_231478593907247_7150232168172472541_o.jpg

Man, that's a gorgeous bike! :winnergold1:

pilotguy299
05-19-2016, 07:57 AM
Man, that's a gorgeous bike! :winnergold1:

Thank you!

I disregarded standard suggestions, and have put several coats of liquid glass on her. It makes her shine a little in the sun, and I think looks better than the flat matte white. Also makes it easier to clean the 4,367 bugs off of her I seem to pick up on every ride! lol

Bob Penn
05-19-2016, 08:33 AM
I'm 5'10, 250# and a 30" inseam. The OEM seat would start hurting at about 30-45 minutes of riding, and I couldn't flat foot the bike.

I sent my seat to Mean City Cycles for work. They shaved the sides making it narrower, lowered the seat by about 1.5", installed memory foam in the seat and backrest, and added seat heaters.

Rode for almost 4 hours straight yesterday and no problems whatsoever. Well cagers are still a problem, but that has nothing to do with the seat. And now I can flat foot the bike in sneakers!

That is a beautiful looking seat!

Can I ask? What did Mean City charge?

Retired Army
05-19-2016, 08:47 AM

I spent the extra money to get the Russell dual saddle for me and the wife. She then agreed to write a check for the Heli bars plus a trike farkle.

Pictures included for the print impaired.

pilotguy299
05-19-2016, 08:49 AM
That is a beautiful looking seat!

Can I ask? What did Mean City charge?

It was $700 something for everything they did, which included shipping and express service. I had the drivers back rest done with memory foam, the front and back seating areas done with memory foam and luxury heaters, and the trimming of the front part of the seat pan to make it narrower and a bit shorter.

And with the exception of the two seat heater switches that you can see in the pic, and the backrest that was added previously, it looks stock.

They do an amazing job, and schedule all of their work in advance. Lead time for reservations seems to be running at about a month.

They have a web site & facebook page, so you can see the work they do.

very customer friendly and I would definitely use them again.

luckyluciano
05-19-2016, 12:12 PM
If I were thinking like you----

Indian. I was impressed with the Dark Horse or Vintage at the demo ride in Daytona. Hi quality and great ride. Dealer network would be a serious concern to me, so it depends what you have close by.

OMG, I rode the Indians. Gutless pieces of art. That's about it.

adventurous1
05-21-2016, 10:03 PM
Here's my .02 w/ similar screwed up body parts;

6' 2" here w/ 36" inseam also w/ 2 herniated discs - AND 27 yrs ago 3 lower back disc fusion (6 screws attached then taken out) as well as portions of 3 ribs cut off - and a shoulder replacement 7 years ago. humpty dumpty fall off the wall. lol As Nick Nolte kinda said in North Dallas Forty, 'different parts of my body wake up at different times'.

Yes, a tad difficult getting used to but acclimating quickly and seems better and better with each ride. So, for leg comfort, I've added the roadsmith lowering kit, kuryakyn mini-floorboards, kuryakyn ergo III's, and Ultimate KIng - and it helps a lot. Getting used to riding in the B's normal position more and more especially with the roadsmith kit. Anything after 4 gear, I"m on the ergo III's. The fairing thing does bug the shit out of me and I do miss the enjoyment of stretching out in the normal position of my V-twin HOWEVER,- I definitely DO NOT feel beat up after riding 400 miles. It would have been nice if Honda would have went the BMW 1600 route with an in-line 6, but the GW 6 is bullet proof and very proven so there's no need for them to change out for a few tall guys.

In 2nd week of June, I'll be doing my first 3K, 8 day trip - (Hollywood to Sedona to Moab to Park City to Salt Lake City, back to Moab, to Zion to N.Rim Grnd Cyn, to Mesquite to Vegas back to Hollywood) w/ two different BBBC's (Big Breasted Blonde Companions) passengers along the way. Plan on putting 15-20 K miles the B this summer and fall. Giving this bike 1 yr hopefully it's everything I desire, 'cuz I do not wish to go back to a V-twin. If I do, it would be an Indian. Or may a BWM 1600.

I'll be 58 this summer, and God willing, I'm able to ride until I'm 75. That's not 17 yrs - that's ONLY 17 summers remaining - so I want to thoroughly enjoy each one of 'em - and I'd like this bike to be my last touring bike.

Bdog
05-22-2016, 01:34 PM
I have Helibars with MBL risers and ultimate king seat. the setup is comfortable but I don't like how high the seat sets me. I'm 6'2" and sit up straight due to a bad back. I'm going to see if I can have some foam removed from the seat. If mustang offered a backrest I would try that.

unsub
05-22-2016, 02:31 PM
In 2nd week of June, I'll be doing my first 3K, 8 day trip - (Hollywood to Sedona to Moab to Park City to Salt Lake City, back to Moab, to Zion to N.Rim Grnd Cyn, to Mesquite to Vegas back to Hollywood) w/ two different BBBC's (Big Breasted Blonde Companions) passengers along the way.

It appears that you have the custom backrest covered. Enjoy that trip. I've covered it a couple of times in July no less. :th_sunbathe: Are you camping in Zion?

adventurous1
05-23-2016, 11:41 AM
It appears that you have the custom backrest covered. Enjoy that trip. I've covered it a couple of times in July no less. :th_sunbathe: Are you camping in Zion?

Nope. Hoteling it. Probably staying at the La Quinta or Best Western. The La Quinta (which up until a few years ago that property was a buffalo /elk reserve) has an excellent pool / hot tub - with great views, which is excellent after riding all day and before sipping finely aged tequila.

Generally get out to Zion about 2 x's a year (lots of hiking) and this will be the first on the B. Looking forward to traveling hwy 12 on the B as well.

You? Any long distance travels in June?

unsub
05-23-2016, 01:44 PM
Nope. Hoteling it. Probably staying at the La Quinta or Best Western. The La Quinta (which up until a few years ago that property was a buffalo /elk reserve) has an excellent pool / hot tub - with great views, which is excellent after riding all day and before sipping finely aged tequila.

Generally get out to Zion about 2 x's a year (lots of hiking) and this will be the first on the B. Looking forward to traveling hwy 12 on the B as well.

You? Any long distance travels in June?

Negative, later part of July to Cortez via Baker City/Twin Falls/Salt Lake/Grand Junction. Returning via Las Vegas for a couple of days, then north.
Utah is a magical place. Sometimes it almost feels like life could have started there.
Hwy 12 is beautiful up around Bryce/Cannonville.

maxrider
05-23-2016, 08:51 PM
At 6'4" and assortment of bionic parts with alloys and other exotic metals,L1 -L4 numerous broken bones and residual stiffness in many joints, I can only marvel how comfy this bike is.

34" inseam and size 15 boots are very comfortable laid out on a DL seat, along with Helibars, Ergo3 and Mini floor boards, and doing a 1000 miler is no issue.

Oh and a 20" Madstad, yup 20" and light gray tint and LED lights with Kisan modulators, listening to stock sound at 80 Mph on volume 10.

Comfort all the way around, see you in AR, riding up from CA.

adventurous1
05-23-2016, 09:15 PM
Negative, later part of July to Cortez via Baker City/Twin Falls/Salt Lake/Grand Junction. Returning via Las Vegas for a couple of days, then north.
Utah is a magical place. Sometimes it almost feels like life could have started there.
Hwy 12 is beautiful up around Bryce/Cannonville.

Alright, rode w/ the 'Ride For Ronnie' (Dio) Cancer charity event. Bout 200 or 300 bikes - the only 'B' was mine (that I saw). Becoming more and more one with the bike. With all the accessories for comfort, I'm kinda diggin' it. I may (next yr) move the arm of my ergo III's downward and place a floorboard instead of the peg. Saw this look on a GW trike and it looked like it may be very comfortable.

Hey, since you mentioned Baker City and Twin Falls have you rode hwy 12 (ID), 99, and 55 from Missoula down thru Lolo Hot springs, riggins, McCall? Always dug that ride and may be able to do it on the B later this year.

Grand Junction? If you ever have the opportunity, go west of Grnd Junct to a small exit (hwy 128). The hwy isn't like driving on glass but smooth enough. About 1/3 of the way you'll begin to ride along the Colorado River and the Red Mtns all the way into Moab. As you're getting closer to Moab you'll start seeing rafters and tubers drifting down the river. In the hour and half ish I was one this hwy - may be saw 10 cars - and those were closer to Moab. Not to many cars on this old hwy.

Hwy 12 (UT)? Have you ever taken it all the way thru and /or from the North? About 15 min past Green River (East to West) off the 70, there's an exit (hwy 24). The first hour, it's a VERY LONE 2 lane blacktop. (We saw 2 cars in 1 hr). Take that south to Hanksville and then turn right / west (it's still hwy 24) and continue to Torrey - that's the North point of Hwy 12 (UT) - and take that south to Bryce. Friggen fantastic ride. Heading South from Torrey, you'll also traverse thru a heavy forest atop of boulder mountain - 9-11K foot.

There's a reason this one of the most scenic hwys in the world. The thing wasn't even fully paved until 1985.