PDA

View Full Version : Big THANKS! to Show Low Motorsports.

Ixol Phaane
06-13-2015, 10:43 PM
Long story short... after losing the main bolt for the left front brake caliper in the middle of nowhere between Globe and Show Low, AZ, the kind folks at Show Low Motorsports (NOT a Honda shop, btw) went out of their way to assist me with finding a suitable temporary replacement to get me the 170 miles back home to Phoenix.

Service adviser Ron and Parts Mgr J.R. both deserve kudos, and definitely get my thanks and appreciation. Instead of just shrugging off me and my Honda, they took the extra time to look up parts and make phone calls to make sure I could get what I needed, an 8x45 socket head bolt.

Here's a pic of the road fix that got me 45 miles to their shop. It's a metal cargo net hook, bent on both ends and wedged into the caliper and bracket. Catastrophe averted! Workin' them Angels!

hiflyer
06-13-2015, 11:30 PM
Long story short...

Had you ever had it out??

Ixol Phaane
06-13-2015, 11:35 PM
Had you ever had it out??

Yes. (sheepishly)
Apparently I was careless w replacement. Locktite is my friend...
and God has other plans for me than to perish of stupidity.

Steve 0080
06-14-2015, 12:29 AM
:shhh:

DaWadd
06-14-2015, 07:57 AM
Wonder if that's why Honda recommends replacing not reusing those bolts."coffee"

bigbird
06-14-2015, 09:13 AM
Wonder if that's why Honda recommends replacing not reusing those bolts."coffee"

There are 2 different opinions, maybe both are true, maybe not.
Opinion 1: Honda is covering their ass, as some DIY'ers would not recognize loctite on the removed caliper bolts.
Opinion 2: The bolts themselves are deformed from torque stretch and should not be re-used.

I'd go with door #1. I don't think the torque specs on the bolts would cause stretch. What are the specs, something like 20 ft-lbs? I've re-used caliper bolts before, always reapplied loctite, and never had an issue.

BIGLRY
06-14-2015, 12:29 PM
Opinion 1: Honda is covering their ass, as some DIY'ers would not recognize loctite on the removed caliper bolts.
Opinion 2: The bolts themselves are deformed from torque stretch and should not be re-used.

I'd go with door #1. I don't think the torque specs on the bolts would cause stretch. What are the specs, something like 20 ft-lbs? I've re-used caliper bolts before, always reapplied loctite, and never had an issue.
Correct, you will notice on all OEM bolts that have Loctite on them from the factory are the ones that Honda recommends replacing with new any time they are removed, that goes for calipers, rotors and all other fasteners that could cause a catastrophic failure if loosened or fell out. The new fasteners will have some form of Loctite on them. I reuse all fasteners when ever possible and use Loctite on all the critical safety components. :yes:

bobbyf6b
06-14-2015, 12:57 PM
Long story short... after losing the main bolt for the left front brake caliper in the middle of nowhere between Globe and Show Low, AZ, the kind folks at Show Low Motorsports (NOT a Honda shop, btw) went out of their way to assist me with finding a suitable temporary replacement to get me the 170 miles back home to Phoenix.

Service adviser Ron and Parts Mgr J.R. both deserve kudos, and definitely get my thanks and appreciation. Instead of just shrugging off me and my Honda, they took the extra time to look up parts and make phone calls to make sure I could get what I needed, an 8x45 socket head bolt.

Here's a pic of the road fix that got me 45 miles to their shop. It's a metal cargo net hook, bent on both ends and wedged into the caliper and bracket. Catastrophe averted! Workin' them Angels!

Wow, crazy. Nice road side fix though.

If you ever want company on a ride let me know, I sat home all day yesterday. :icon_frown:

Ixol Phaane
06-14-2015, 01:56 PM
Wow, crazy. Nice road side fix though.

If you ever want company on a ride let me know, I sat home all day yesterday. :icon_frown:

I'll keep that in mind, Bobby. This was an unplanned, spur-of-the-moment ride. I just finished a work shift and left for home, but instead of turning right, I turned left... and just kept going!
:icon_biggrin:

I was just glad I had that cargo net and some tools w me. It sucks to be broke down w no way to continue.

bobbyf6b
06-14-2015, 02:26 PM
I'll keep that in mind, Bobby. This was an unplanned, spur-of-the-moment ride. I just finished a work shift and left for home, but instead of turning right, I turned left... and just kept going!
:icon_biggrin:

I was just glad I had that cargo net and some tools w me. It sucks to be broke down w no way to continue.

That's the best kind of ride. Sometimes the planned ones suck the fun out.

Speaking of planned rides, I signed up for this one:

http://www.goaz.com/eventslist.htm?groupId=33826&itemId=242179

My wife and I will be staying here:

http://www.americasbestvalueinn.com/bestv.cfm?idp=1224

Not many options in Springerville. I've stayed there before on business and it wasn't a bad place.

srt8-in-largo
06-14-2015, 09:21 PM
Shame shame Ixol! I know you're a smart guy... but this, not so much :icon_biggrin:

RED loctite on those puppies.

I'll have to put Show Low in my always-carried motorcycle book of information; thanks.

Isn't it 22 N-m (or about 16 ft-lbs) ?. The torque specs for most things on this bike do seem ridiculously light.

Correct, you will notice on all OEM bolts that have Loctite on them from the factory are the ones that Honda recommends replacing with new any time they are removed, that goes for calipers, rotors and all other fasteners that could cause a catastrophic failure if loosened or fell out. The new fasteners will have some form of Loctite on them. I reuse all fasteners when ever possible and use Loctite on all the critical safety components. :yes:

Good to hear! This is what I did.