PDA

View Full Version : Washing our bikes

TailGunner
06-14-2015, 09:17 AM
First time I have ever owned a bike like this so what are the do's and don't when washing this bike?

Ridlikhel
06-14-2015, 09:27 AM
For me, it's warm car soap in a new micro wash mitt, let sit for a moment to loosen bugs, light hand wash, light misted rinse, wash, rinse, then some compressed air and I end it with a light micro towel drying.

All done in the shade!

Then it's Liquid Glass time.

TailGunner
06-14-2015, 09:33 AM
For me, it's warm car soap in a new micro wash mitt, let sit for a moment to loosen bugs, light hand wash, light misted rinse, wash, rinse, then some compressed air and I end it with a light micro towel drying.

All done in the shade!

Then it's Liquid Glass time.

So I can spray water anywhere?

Steve 0080
06-14-2015, 12:05 PM
Water will not hurt the bike...think rain... I only wash my bike with water AFTER it has been out in the rain, just to get the road grime off.... make sure you blow dry it or ride it a mile or two to get the water out of places you do not want it sitting ...think rust

bobbyf6b
06-14-2015, 03:56 PM
Spray the entire bike but don't use high pressure. I spray, wash with a soapy wash glove and spray rinse. Then I wipe it down with a towel, take it for a ride and wipe it down again when I get back. Easiest bike I've ever had to wash since it's all plastic panels.

ths61
06-14-2015, 05:08 PM
Don't know if this is appropriate or not, but I use a leaf blower to blow out any standing water after a car/bike wash and eliminate subsequent water spots.

Watchdog
06-14-2015, 05:59 PM
Don't know if this is appropriate or not, but I use a leaf blower to blow out any standing water after a car/bike wash and eliminate subsequent water spots.

I do that with the car also.

opas ride
06-14-2015, 08:38 PM
I sometimes use my leaf blower to blow off the dust accumulation on the rear wheel area and occasionally on the pipes and front wheel...I have never used soap or water on any of the bikes I have owned (18) and generally use Honda Polish or a good detailer...Just me I guess and as far I as can remember I have never had any rust or other paint/ finish issues....Ride safe

shooter
06-14-2015, 08:44 PM
I own two bikes. The 109 I've washed twice in 4 years. Both times I got caught in the rain. The B has never been washed. I use aerosol Gunk glass cleaner on the bugs and Lucas Slick Mist. Detailer. Always with a microfiber towel. My bikes are some of the cleanest you will see. If you get caught in the rain a wash is definitely in order.

bob109
06-14-2015, 09:04 PM

Same here:039: Before washing the bike I use the Leaf Blower or Compressed Air to blow out both radiators and speaker grills. With the warm weather here the amount of bugs and flying insects ingested into the fins/grills is amazing:shock:

srt8-in-largo
06-14-2015, 09:05 PM
So I can spray water anywhere?

Sure. I wouldn't go out of your way to concentrate a strong stream for extended periods of time in certain locations... but if you're talking about using a garden hose in a "reasonable" manner, no prob.

IMO the best route is to get a soaping attachment for the garden hose and soak the bike before touching it with a mit. This way you can wet down the bike with soap, allowing it to begin breaking down and softening the dirt without touching the paint.

seadog
06-14-2015, 10:20 PM
I sometimes use my leaf blower to blow off the dust accumulation on the rear wheel area and occasionally on the pipes and front wheel...I have never used soap or water on any of the bikes I have owned (18) and generally use Honda Polish or a good detailer...Just me I guess and as far I as can remember I have never had any rust or other paint/ finish issues....Ride safe

No water on my bikes ever, Bike spirit cleaner wax and polish is all that ever gets on my bike, I have used it for years, it does the job and you can use it on anything on the bike, leave no white residue and cleans and polishes everything from Plastic,aluminum, chrome, vinyl, rubber, you name it if its on the bike this stuff works.

shooter
06-14-2015, 10:23 PM
Yeah Dog thats what I like about the Slick Mist. Whatever you put it on it shines it. Tires , windshield , paint , plastic. And no white residue.

srt8-in-largo
06-14-2015, 10:34 PM
With my serious face on... does your bike go faster when it's slicked down?

I saw the MythBusters where they changed the surface of a car to be dimpled like a golfball... and sure enough! They got better gas mileage.

So how much faster will a nice wash n wax make us :icon_mrgreen:

BIGLRY
06-14-2015, 10:46 PM
With my serious face on... does your bike go faster when it's slicked down?

I saw the MythBusters where they changed the surface of a car to be dimpled like a golfball... and sure enough! They got better gas mileage.

So how much faster will a nice wash n wax make us :icon_mrgreen:I don't know about faster if "slicked down" but if your real curious about the golfball effect... take a ball peen hammer and put a few thousand strategically placed dimples on you F and let us know the results.:poke::stirthepot::icon_lol:

srt8-in-largo
06-14-2015, 11:01 PM
:crackup:

No way... no how!

jaygollner
06-15-2015, 10:43 AM

+1

Bryster
06-16-2015, 08:35 AM

Bought some of the Honda Polish that you mentioned, let it go hazy and dry then buffed, super impressed with the finish. :icon_cool:

opas ride
06-16-2015, 09:46 AM
Bought some of the Honda Polish that you mentioned, let it go hazy and dry then buffed, super impressed with the finish. :icon_cool:

There are two kinds of Honda Polish, one is an aerosol spray "cleaner and polish" the other is a liquid that comes in a smaller plastic bottle. I use the one in the aerosol can which works much better and it does not need to dry before you wipe it off....Both good stuff, but in my opinion, the Honda Spray is the best around...Ride safe

Bryster
06-16-2015, 05:33 PM
There are two kinds of Honda Polish, one is an aerosol spray "cleaner and polish" the other is a liquid that comes in a smaller plastic bottle. I use the one in the aerosol can which works much better and it does not need to dry before you wipe it off....Both good stuff, but in my opinion, the Honda Spray is the best around...Ride safe

The one I picked up was in an aerosol can, but it said on can 'let dry until hazy for a better shine', came up a treat. Cheaper than the motul equiv as well.

This stuff -> http://tinyurl.com/oardxz2

srt8-in-largo
06-16-2015, 08:44 PM
Wow look at the reviews on Amazon; 5 stars with 131 reviewers.

http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Honda-Spray-Cleaner-Polish/dp/B004FSEJZA

zeus661
06-16-2015, 08:54 PM
If you don't use soap and water aren't you just rubbing the dirt into it as you wipe it off? I have ridden through rain and had dirt stuck to it and there is no way I would take a rag to it without lots of water first. And even dry roads can make it dirty.

photodiver
06-16-2015, 09:03 PM
Wow look at the reviews on Amazon; 5 stars with 131 reviewers.

http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Honda-Spray-Cleaner-Polish/dp/B004FSEJZA

I love that stuff, buy it by the case.

Steve 0080
06-21-2015, 12:32 AM
http://thebrigade.com/2015/06/19/just-cant-seem-to-wash-away-my-high-res-bad-ideas-101-hq-photos/

#24 is trouble...

53driver
06-21-2015, 08:41 AM
First time I have ever owned a bike like this so what are the do's and don't when washing this bike?
DO: Find this gal - she does excellent work.

Steve, here are some more pics of the gal in pic #40 from your link.
Yes, she's washing my bike.
Here name is Karin. Lovely Irish lass.

stroguy
06-21-2015, 08:44 AM
Red suits her well. Guess that answers the OPs question.

hiflyer
06-21-2015, 09:00 AM
DO: Find this gal - she does excellent work.
Here name is Karin. Lovely Irish lass.

You're right, what a lovely Irish lass.

jm21ddd15
06-21-2015, 09:15 AM
So, 53Driver, I need to come to Pa to get my bike washed by this lovely Irish lass. Tell me where! Good enough reason for a trip. :biggthumpup:

John

Steve 0080
06-21-2015, 09:44 AM
She will be in Daytona for Octoberfest.....

53driver
06-21-2015, 10:46 AM
She, and her friend Erika, work near Orlando at the "Bikini Car Wash" and they go to Daytona for Biketoberfest and Bike Week and wash bikes all week.
The queue can get quite long....couple hours deep. :icon_wink::icon_cool: