PDA

View Full Version : Next Gen Wing?

F6B1911
06-15-2015, 06:34 PM
Saw this in a motorcycle magazine today
Wonder if we'll see this fork system on the next wing?

stepbill
06-15-2015, 06:40 PM
Just my opinion but I don't like the look of the whole front end, from the handlebars forward.

53driver
06-15-2015, 06:51 PM
Very "erector set" like.
That might take awhile to grow on me from an aesthetics perspective.
However, if it handles better? I'm there.

JackB
06-15-2015, 07:03 PM
I like it still looks like a Wing with adjustable windshield new forks and I'm sure other needed upgrades. 👍

bobbyf6b
06-15-2015, 07:07 PM
I would like to see an adjustable driver butt chock.

Jimmytee
06-15-2015, 07:18 PM
Looks like someone married the fairing of a CTX1300 or scooter and a front end from somewhere to a current 1800 in photoshop.:crackup::icon_doh:

VP8
06-15-2015, 07:38 PM
Jimmy, I was thinking the same thing... looks like the front end of their non-selling CTX. I still have yet to see one of those on the road.

And yes... looks like it has an adjustable (electric) windshield... which would be nice.

http://www.ridermagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/web-WING2606.jpg

cwjj2001
06-15-2015, 07:45 PM
Looks Like I will have the F6B for a while!!!'popcorn and coke'

BIGLRY
06-15-2015, 08:08 PM
Looks like someone tried to put something like the Rune front end on a Wing which would have looked better than that one. IMO
and yes those are Mini apes on that Rune.:icon_lol:

http://www.californiavtxriders.com/phpBB3/gallery/image35466.jpg

Jhox
06-15-2015, 08:16 PM
Photoshopped.

stroguy
06-15-2015, 08:18 PM
I have had powered seats on my cars for 15 years. Imagine the joy of going to a motorcycle dealership and adjusting height and distance to the handle bars via a mini-joystick.

BIGLRY
06-15-2015, 08:32 PM
I have had powered seats on my cars for 15 years. Imagine the joy of going to a motorcycle dealership and adjusting height and distance to the handle bars via a mini-joystick.Yea Honda and a few others...BMW comes to mind, have a power windshield, a powered adjustable saddle would up the cool factor, even a basic "manually adjustable" saddle would be a winner. Since we are dreaming "what ifs", how about adjustable foot pegs and adjustable shifting & brake pedals too? :icon_biggrin:

ths61
06-15-2015, 09:13 PM
Yea Honda and a few others...BMW comes to mind, have a power windshield, a powered adjustable saddle would up the cool factor, even a basic "manually adjustable" saddle would be a winner. Since we are dreaming "what ifs", how about adjustable foot pegs and adjustable shifting & brake pedals too? :icon_biggrin:

The Victory Vision had an electric windshield (height and rake) and adjustable shifter and brake pegs about 4" or 5" inches forward and back as well as height adjustments for thick/thin boots.

My friend just bought a new 6 cylinder BMW. It has adjustable suspension and torque (rain mode) on the fly as well as an electric windshield.

BIGLRY
06-15-2015, 09:25 PM
The Victory Vision had an electric windshield (height and rake) and adjustable shifter and brake pegs about 4" or 5" inches forward and back as well as height adjustments for thick/thin boots.

My friend just bought a new 6 cylinder BMW. It has adjustable suspension and torque (rain mode) on the fly as well as an electric windshield.Yea I know, but none of them are Hondas :icon_biggrin:

srt8-in-largo
06-15-2015, 09:58 PM
Holy crap, what a Rune Larry. That thing is sweet.

ths61
06-15-2015, 10:08 PM
Looks like someone tried to put something like the Rune front end on a Wing which would have looked better than that one. IMO

Beautiful bike.

BIGLRY
06-15-2015, 10:48 PM
Holy crap, what a Rune Larry. That thing is sweet.
That was one of four I owned at one time, it was traded in with another blue Rune for my F6B then I sold a custom black Rune to a friend and now only have one red Rune that I'm doing a lot of custom work on like changing color to black, powder coating wheels black adding bar risers, chrome intakes and a few other "one off" things to make it a one of a kind Rune.:icon_lol:
This is the other blue Rune I traded in for my F6B
http://www.californiavtxriders.com/phpBB3/gallery/image35120.jpg

and the black Rune I sold to a friend.
http://www.californiavtxriders.com/phpBB3/gallery/image34639.jpg

And here is the one Rune I'm working on now when I first got it as a wreck and is now 99.95% restored.
http://www.californiavtxriders.com/phpBB3/gallery/image36079.jpg

I LOVE collecting Runes and will own more as funds allow. :301:

srt8-in-largo
06-15-2015, 11:00 PM
I LOVE collecting Runes and will own more as funds allow. :301:

Looking at the pics makes this easy to understand :yes:

Are the Rune handling and dynamics as pleasant as on the 6?

BIGLRY
06-15-2015, 11:56 PM
Looking at the pics makes this easy to understand :yes:

Are the Rune handling and dynamics as pleasant as on the 6?I know you are going to find this hard to believe, but the Rune is a fairly nice canyon carver with a little more lean angle and a tad quicker than the F.... Not faster, but quicker with nice suspension, the front end is surprising pleasant and tight. With a very simple mod the sound of the Rune is awesome kinda like a Porch on steroids. I wish my F6B sounded like the Rune
With the Rune's six 32 mm throttle bodies and different cams than the normal GL1800 and F6B use it makes gobs of low in torque. The only Honda quicker off the line IMO and up to about 40 MPH is the VTX1800, the Rune will beat the F to about 100 MPH then the F takes over. Now the full Goldwing is faster on the top end than both due to no top end limiter like our F has.
The Rune is made for a small guy and I had to do a lot of mods to get one to fit me for touring which I did for a few years on the blue Rune with the Corbin bags.

One thing on my "to do" list in the future is put a set of Rune cams in my F and bore the throttle body out 2 more mm from 40 mm to 42 mm like I have done on my VTX1800 Turbo. Stock the VTX1800 throttle body is a 42 mm I took it to a 44 mm.:icon_lol:

DaWadd
06-16-2015, 07:55 AM
Those Corbin bags on the Rune sure look sweet..notworthy.

stepbill
06-16-2015, 09:40 AM

Never thought that I would ever see someone make a Rune look small :shock::icon_biggrin: !

srt8-in-largo
06-16-2015, 02:06 PM
I know you are going to find this hard to believe, but the Rune is a fairly nice canyon carver with a little more lean angle and a tad quicker than the F.... Not faster, but quicker with nice suspension, the front end is surprising pleasant and tight. With a very simple mod the sound of the Rune is awesome kinda like a Porch on steroids. I wish my F6B sounded like the Rune
With the Rune's six 32 mm throttle bodies and different cams than the normal GL1800 and F6B use it makes gobs of low in torque. The only Honda quicker off the line IMO and up to about 40 MPH is the VTX1800, the Rune will beat the F to about 100 MPH then the F takes over. Now the full Goldwing is faster on the top end than both due to no top end limiter like our F has.
The Rune is made for a small guy and I had to do a lot of mods to get one to fit me for touring which I did for a few years on the blue Rune with the Corbin bags.

One thing on my "to do" list in the future is put a set of Rune cams in my F and bore the throttle body out 2 more mm from 40 mm to 42 mm like I have done on my VTX1800 Turbo. Stock the VTX1800 throttle body is a 42 mm I took it to a 44 mm.:icon_lol:

The Rune's rake would seem to make that hard to believe, but having never owned one, I'm in no position to contest your comments... I'll just say that's very interesting and who woulda thunk! As someone who likes the ------r style but was afraid of loss of handling, the Rune sounds like something I'd consider. :icon_biggrin:

I'm afraid to mess with throttle bodies; the one in my car is ULTRA sensitive to changes and very difficult to get a smooth tune afterwards. If you do that for the F, I hope you'll start a thread on it!

EDIT: Interesting... the auto correct is deleting the word c-r-u-i-s-e .

BIGLRY
06-16-2015, 03:44 PM
The Rune's rake would seem to make that hard to believe, but having never owned one, I'm in no position to contest your comments... I'll just say that's very interesting and who woulda thunk! As someone who likes the ------r style but was afraid of loss of handling, the Rune sounds like something I'd consider. :icon_biggrin:

I'm afraid to mess with throttle bodies; the one in my car is ULTRA sensitive to changes and very difficult to get a smooth tune afterwards. If you do that for the F, I hope you'll start a thread on it!

EDIT: Interesting... the auto correct is deleting the word c-r-u-i-s-e .
Hehe if ya ever get the chance... ride one, the Rune's handling will really surprise you.
The Rune has a rake/trail of 29 degrees / 4.9 in. while the F6B has a rake/trail of 29.25 degrees / 4.3 in. so you see they are very close(looks are deceiving). Oh and the rune has a dry weight of 792 lbs. they handle amazingly about the same.
The Rune front end is a trailing bottom-link with 3.9 inches of travel and the rear suspension is an adjustable Unit Pro-Link with single shock with 3.9 inches of travel(not much there).

53driver
06-16-2015, 04:09 PM
Hehe if ya ever get the chance... ride one, the Rune's handling will really surprise you.
The Rune has a rake/trail of 29 degrees / 4.9 in. while the F6B has a rake/trail of 29.25 degrees / 4.3 in. so you see they are very close(looks are deceiving). Oh and the rune has a dry weight of 792 lbs. they handle amazingly about the same.
The Rune front end is a trailing bottom-link with 3.9 inches of travel and the rear suspension is an adjustable Unit Pro-Link with single shock with 3.9 inches of travel(not much there).

I've always wanted to try one, but I knew I'd be buying one if I did.
Until recently, I didn't have the resources to supplement that.
Not that I do now, but I'm a lot closer. If/when I sell the '95 Heritage, I'll try to get a Rune as a replacement, or maybe just get one anyway.
Now I just got to find someone who has one for sale that's not interested in selling it to the Crown Prince of Persia.....

BIGLRY
06-16-2015, 05:54 PM
Now I just got to find someone who has one for sale that's not interested in selling it to the Crown Prince of Persia..... I know what you mean, the Rune has gone up in value compared to what I paied for the four I bought in 2009 and 2010 If ya looked around then they could be had for $12,500 to $15,000 and I got one for with 12k miles for $9,000. Now they are going for $15,800 and way way up from there. The real issue is the price of parts, they are very expensive to repair if you damage anything. There is very little plastic on the Rune compared to the GL1800/F6B, the chrome work is second to none.

This is a quoit from now retired Senior Vice President of the American Honda Motorcycle Division Ray Blank about the Rune's concept “We wanted to extend this concept (a motorcycle based on the Valkyrie/Gold Wing power plant) once again and take another cutting-edge motorcycle into uncharted territory, establishing new directions that no other manufacturer had ever attempted. We wanted to set the bar higher than ever, erecting standards that no one else had yet imagined, while also exploding old limitations on what an original equipment manufacturer could mass produce.”

Ray Blank again: “You have to remember that Honda’s greatest strength is its engineering ability. Function, horsepower, performance, durability - a lot of very measurable qualities. But now here we were, championing the production of what was essentially a one-off custom special, a show bike with a whole set of gut-level aesthetic qualities that are impossible to measure.
The Rune concept is extremely extravagant, because it places the highest priorities on style rather than measurable science and engineering, and that created challenges during product planning. It is a very emotional product. But when a gut feeling is so strong, avid motorcyclists can communicate with one another on a different level. We accomplished a lot on this new concept after hours, at restaurants, just motorcycle guys talking to each other, scribbling on napkins, waving our hands around.”

Each Rune left the American Honda Plant at Marysville, Ohio, costing the company a reported $100,000 - and sold for just a quarter of that price. Honda has got to get its money back somehow and therefore repairing a Rune is never going to be a cheap exercise http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/289/7274/motorcycle-article/memorable-motorcycles--honda-rune.aspx
and boy do I know that!.

53driver
06-16-2015, 05:57 PM
Oh boy...
http://lancaster.craigslist.org/--y/5061175651.html

put an M and a C where the two dashes are.....

stroguy
06-16-2015, 06:01 PM
Link doesn't not work for me Steve.........I can assume.........buy,buy,buy.

53driver
06-16-2015, 06:12 PM
where the 2 dashes are, put an 'm' and a 'c' and it should work.
Wouldn't save like that....no clue as to why not.

stroguy
06-16-2015, 06:18 PM
Got it. Now I throw my card on the table. Just south of Dallas and he is sending me pics via email. It's a dealership asking $18K.

http://houston.craigslist.org/--d/5075865824.html

Add the same m c at the dashes. Odd.

srt8-in-largo
06-16-2015, 09:38 PM
Larry I think you started a Rune Frenzy here :icon_biggrin:

I gotta say the comments from Ray Blank and the ones in that article are truly fascinating.

"The Rune proved to be a challenge for the Honda engineers who had to make a functioning bike from a styling concept."

BIGLRY
06-16-2015, 11:11 PM
Larry I think you started a Rune Frenzy here :icon_biggrin:

I gotta say the comments from Ray Blank and the ones in that article are truly fascinating.

"The Rune proved to be a challenge for the Honda engineers who had to make a functioning bike from a styling concept.":icon_laugh: :yes:I know I will never be without one or more, everywhere I ride it the Rune is the show stopper. From Canada to Mexico I have had people just look and stare:shock:
I've seen many HD boys drool while their old ladies wet their pants when I start it up. I've had my pic taken at more gas stations and on the road by people who have never seen a Rune and free drinks OMG... it is a conversation starter for sure. :301:

Retired Army
06-23-2015, 11:15 AM
I don't have enough solid information on the reason Honda does not produce a trike. The front of the next generation is ideal for trike handling. Could that have a bearing on retaining older Gold Wing riders? They tried to seduce younger riders with the original F6B.

Old Ryder
06-23-2015, 11:47 AM
Oh boy...
http://lancaster.craigslist.org/--y/5061175651.html

put an M and a C where the two dashes are.....

I am only about 3 hours away. Send me the check and I will go pick it up and hold it for you till you can get here!!!!! I will keep it parked in my garage and will not ride it at all!!!! I promise!!!!!! :icon_biggrin:

People give Honda a bunch of crap about "vanilla style" on a lot of their bikes, but they will step out there and go where nobody else will. NX900--DNO1-- CTX1300--F6b--Rune. Don't see anybody else doing those types of design.

Old Ryder
06-23-2015, 11:52 AM
:icon_laugh: :yes:I know I will never be without one or more, everywhere I ride it the Rune is the show stopper. From Canada to Mexico I have had people just look and stare:shock:
I've seen many HD boys drool while their old ladies wet their pants when I start it up. I've had my pic taken at more gas stations and on the road by people who have never seen a Rune and free drinks OMG... it is a conversation starter for sure. :301:

From a guy who has been into bikes for a while and been to a ton of rallies, shows and meets, I have seen a total of 3 in person---ALL AT DAYTONA BIKE WEEK. Not many around.

edgeman55
06-23-2015, 12:41 PM
I don't have enough solid information on the reason Honda does not produce a trike. The front of the next generation is ideal for trike handling. Could that have a bearing on retaining older Gold Wing riders? They tried to seduce younger riders with the original F6B.

I think you hit the nail on the head.I was at the Reno Rendevous AKA Goldwing get together Sat in Reno and there were about 300 or so Goldwings in the lot in the AM and 40% were trikes.I was the only F6B there that I could see.Walking around it was like a AARP meeting.Nice people and all but a much older crowd.Heck at 60 I felt like a youngster there.

motoman
06-23-2015, 05:53 PM
This thread has been Officially Hijacked. :shhh: