PDA

View Full Version : Honda Extended Warranty

Greg O
06-16-2015, 07:34 AM
Is the Honda Extended Warranty worth the $800.00 dollars they are asking for it. By buying this warranty it would extend it out to 7 years total plus roadside assistance . I did not ask the salesman if there was a deductible. If you any of you guys have this warranty please chime in.

seadog
06-16-2015, 07:45 AM
All I know about it is you can add it anytime in the first 3 year warranty period. Whether or not anyone has used it yet is debatable. Total of 200 bucks a year to increase it the 4 years is pricey and like you said is it worth it. Unless you can find someone that has taken advantage of this warranty with a broke down motorcycle is the only way you would know how good the coverage is.

yellow rex
06-16-2015, 07:53 AM
Shop around it can be had for much less money, and yes it is worth the money I have used it
on my 02 wing both handle bar controls, and just think if your the unlucky one with a ghost
shifting transmission that is a costly repair.

DaWadd
06-16-2015, 07:57 AM
If I could get it at that price I'd jump all over it. Up here it is around $1700.00."coffee"

Phantom
06-16-2015, 08:25 AM
CALL our supporting vendor .... Honda of Russelville ..... much less for our members

Steve 0080
06-16-2015, 12:57 PM
Insurance... you buy it hoping to use it, the insurance company sells it hoping you dont!!! Age old question.... if you dont you will wish you did, if you do you will be mad you did not use it ???? :icon_doh:

wjduke
06-16-2015, 02:04 PM
I always heard that extended warranties are huge money makers for the providers. Personally, I would take my chances. Insurances take care of road side assistance on most policies. Sitting on this site for a few weeks now makes me think this bike is pretty much trouble free, no? :shhh:

srt8-in-largo
06-16-2015, 03:01 PM
At 14,000 miles I blew 2nd gear out of my tranny... who woulda thunk something like that might be possible?

26 hours of quoted book labor and $1,200 of parts came to a grand total of nearly $5,000. Unfortunately crap occurs.

Thank GOD my warranty covered this... and I'll be getting as much extended warranty as I can. If I go the whole extra 4 years and not use it, it will still have paid for itself with peace of mind IMO.

Also, you don't have to get the full 4 years; I think you can get 2 or 3 for cheaper.

CALL our supporting vendor .... Honda of Russelville ..... much less for our members

I'll be doing exactly this!

JackB
06-17-2015, 07:16 AM
I bought the Honda extended warranty. I paid $400 for 3 years ( mine came with a 4 year warranty). I thought $125 a year was a good deal when the bike is 4 years old.
Offer them less.

stevenolts
06-17-2015, 09:37 AM
I bought my Honda extended warranty for $500.00 with road hazard unlimited use.

I think it would be great if I never had to use it. But I feel good just in case I do.

$120.00 a year is not that bad. I think that if your warranty runs out and some stupid electrical issue or something small occurs you may just let it go and live with it. With the warranty I know that for the next 7 years everything on the bike will be as it should be. Good peace of mind and now I can ride it like I stole it and not worry. I can go anywhere traveling by myself and know that I can get road side assistance without a hassle.
Steve

tcaudill
10-20-2015, 02:48 PM
Where did you get extended warranty for $500?

Cobraguy
10-20-2015, 04:14 PM
I got the warranty even though I do my own wrenching. Here's why. My warranty 7yrs unlimited cost an extra $750. I just priced an alternator for a 13 F6B at a popular bike parts supplier, $680. Just one common item failure and it pays for itself.

VStarRider
10-20-2015, 04:25 PM
Especially if you put a lot of miles on your bike...seven years from now, mine will have 40,000+ miles on it. I'll be purchasing the warranty after I get over the price for the bike itself...

MisterB
10-20-2015, 06:01 PM
This question is probably too stupid to post, do you need to be there in person to get the warranty?
If not, I'm in. I've saved enough over the years never getting extended warranties to pay for this a few times over.
I probably won't be as high miles as some so the things that would show up for them in the standard warranty might no show up for me until after.

okf6b
10-20-2015, 07:52 PM
This question is probably too stupid to post, do you need to be there in person to get the warranty?
If not, I'm in. I've saved enough over the years never getting extended warranties to pay for this a few times over.
I probably won't be as high miles as some so the things that would show up for them in the standard warranty might no show up for me until after.

You need not be present to purchase. They can verify eligibility by your VIN. And there are no stupid questions....

shooter
10-20-2015, 09:09 PM
I deal with extended warranties all the time. Just a few things I can tell you. Chances are the warranty has a deductible that is applicable to each instance. Sometimes the warranty will not pay the full cost of the part. Most times they have a maximum price they will pay. If you can't purchase the part for that price you will be liable for the additional price. They will only pay a certain price for labor hours. If the dealer is higher on their price they will not pay. Sometimes extended warranties will not pay diagnostic time. You can be out hundreds of dollars for diagnostics alone. Sometimes the warranty is only good at an authorized dealer. Not all dealers are necessarily authorized. Just some questions to ask before you spend your hard earned money. Some if these may not apply to the Honda warranty. Just read the fine print.

MisterB
10-20-2015, 10:02 PM
Thanks for the info, Shooter.

Phantom
10-20-2015, 10:13 PM
:yes:

from Hondas website regarding the extended coverage ...

Coverage is virtually the same as the Honda Limited Warranty coverage you get with a new Honda; however, tires, batteries, audio equipment and accessories are not covered. Every Honda Protection Plan is good across the country, and replacements are always made with Honda Genuine Parts.

LINK below ....

http://powersports.honda.com/protectionplan/motorcycle-threeyear.aspx

shooter
10-21-2015, 09:13 AM
Thanks Tony for the info. I've never checked out the Honda extended warranty. That's why I said just read the fine print.

Phantom
10-21-2015, 10:16 AM
Thanks Tony for the info. I've never checked out the Honda extended warranty. That's why I said just read the fine print.

Brian, you're welcome. That's the beauty of this forum. Everyones contribution makes us all a well informed community.

Honda fails to mention that Cosmetic issues after the first 12 months are NOT covered (age related), for example paint fading, clear throttle cables turning yellow, black plastic parts fading to a light grey color etc. I've been down that road, had several Honda Rune clear throttle cables turn yellow.

It is indeed a solid factory warranty, A Honda Protection Plan covers you for mechanical failures as a result of defects in materials or factory workmanship, with no additional out-of-pocket costs.

I know of guys that had on occasion a rare problem with their Honda Runes, lucky for them .... that Honda extended warranty was a blessing. Most Honda Rune parts were more then the cost of the warranty. A set of Throttle bodies will set you back at least $2,500 plus labor. If the factory chrome on a Rim became defective ... ($2,300 per rim) covered under warranty. The $$$$ that we had paid for those warranties back then was well worth the money.

Buyer beware ... as Shooter stated ... some extended warranties (my experience-usually a third party) can bite you in the A55 if you don't read the fine print.

Call Honda of Russellville for the current going rate, they always take care of our members .... Make sure to tell them that you are from this forum, otherwise you will be paying more and not receive the discounted price offered to our membership. Ask for Roger Shatwell if necessary.

Alberta Beagle
10-21-2015, 11:59 PM
I always heard that extended warranties are huge money makers for the providers. Personally, I would take my chances. Insurances take care of road side assistance on most policies. Sitting on this site for a few weeks now makes me think this bike is pretty much trouble free, no? :shhh:

So if the warranty sells, as some here have stated for $500, just how could it be a huge money maker for anyone?
Even if the dealers cost was a buck he makes $499. Hardly huge I would say.

Alberta Beagle
10-22-2015, 12:04 AM
I deal with extended warranties all the time. Just a few things I can tell you. Chances are the warranty has a deductible that is applicable to each instance. Sometimes the warranty will not pay the full cost of the part. Most times they have a maximum price they will pay. If you can't purchase the part for that price you will be liable for the additional price. They will only pay a certain price for labor hours. If the dealer is higher on their price they will not pay. Sometimes extended warranties will not pay diagnostic time. You can be out hundreds of dollars for diagnostics alone. Sometimes the warranty is only good at an authorized dealer. Not all dealers are necessarily authorized. Just some questions to ask before you spend your hard earned money. Some if these may not apply to the Honda warranty. Just read the fine print.

So options are buy the warranty and you may have to pay for some percentage of the repair OR don't buy the warranty and you get to pay for 100% of the repair?
I see no argument here to not buy the warranty unless you own a Honda powersports dealership..