PDA

View Full Version : Tunes are getting close

seadog
06-16-2015, 10:54 AM
I pulled the storage compartment in the left side of the fairing and put the plug in for the MP3 and install the OEM Honda electrical socket and now just waiting on Amazon.com to bring my 16 gb Sony Mp3 player with it cord kit package and then download a bunch of tunes on it. Its trying to have to lesson to all the commercials on the FM and it will be nice to not have to hear them. :clap2::clap2:
I am new at this, is there anything that I have not thought of? Any information is worth it weight in gold and if I have missed something please jump in and let me know!

tinknocker
06-16-2015, 10:58 AM
Put a jump drive in the saddle bag...sound quality is much better

Vol1chuck
06-16-2015, 10:59 AM
The nice thing about using the USB connection in the left saddlebag is that you can control all your music from the left grip.

unsub
06-16-2015, 11:08 AM
just waiting on Amazon.com to bring my 16 gb Sony Mp3 player with it cord kit package and then download a bunch of tunes on it.

Any information is worth it weight in gold and if I have missed something please jump in and let me know!

16gb seems fairly small. Does Sony offer larger storage capacity on those things? I would have started with a 64gb if the price wasn't out of line for the increased storage.

Others are spot on. A USB jump drive would be cheaper/better/easier.

Fla_rider
06-16-2015, 01:29 PM
16gb seems fairly small. Does Sony offer larger storage capacity on those things? I would have started with a 64gb if the price wasn't out of line for the increased storage.

Yes 64 would be better the 16, but the 16GB should get him close to 2,000 songs. Yes, plugging the USB in the left saddlebag does give you better sound and control from the Audio system, not only from the left side handlebars but also from the audio control knobs on the panel. Which allows such things as Artist Selection, Playlist selection, Genre selection, etc...

seadog
06-16-2015, 01:33 PM

That Sony 16gb will hold about 5500 3 minute songs depending on the length as long 4 minute songs it would hold less. But 5500 songs. I'd be dead before I heard the last one.

seadog
06-16-2015, 01:36 PM
Put a jump drive in the saddle bag...sound quality is much better

What does this jump drive cost, I'm not rich and living on a fixed income I get by with what I can afford. When I was working steady there wasn't much I couldn't afford to purchase but without that weekly paycheck you do have to compromise a bit.

Greg O
06-16-2015, 01:37 PM
May I ask what parts are needed for this conversion. Did you interrupt the usb cable going to the saddle bags.

stevenolts
06-16-2015, 01:50 PM
I think I paid less than $30.00 for a mini USB stick. 64GB
I put it in the USB in the saddlebag and have never looked at it again.
The controls through the radio on bike are fine. Random and it just goes. I love it. Sounds great.
Steve

Fla_rider
06-16-2015, 01:55 PM
May I ask what parts are needed for this conversion. Did you interrupt the usb cable going to the saddle bags.

greg- I dont think SD did anything complicated. He just ran his Audio plug into the cubby and is installing a honda pwr jack in the cubby as well. He could have did it different like Steve said.

Mastergunny
06-16-2015, 02:34 PM
Sure is a hassle that I have not mastered, converting my iTunes to some format that can be loaded on a stick!!!

srt8-in-largo
06-16-2015, 02:48 PM
Hopefully the Sony player works fine; I don't recall many people using this brand... it's either an iPod or a general USB flash drive. Someone here can get you rolling if it gives you trouble.

I had that 3.5mm plug in the left cubby since the bike was new, and have never used it. I'll be removing it and replacing the rubber plug. A USB stick in the saddlebag USB port is the ticket.

16 GB may hold 5,500 songs... it could also hold 5,500,000 songs or just 55; it depends if the music files are compressed and then on the compression quality.

srt8-in-largo
06-16-2015, 02:53 PM

There's an OEM 3.5mm plug that connects to an existing connector behind the cubby; really simple and easy to install. Not sure what your other question is asking Greg... but if you just want to use the OEM USB port, no "interrupting" of anything is needed.

Sure is a hassle that I have not mastered, converting my iTunes to some format that can be loaded on a stick!!!

Convert to Mp3 @ 320 kbps. Done. It's probably easier than you're thinking.

Greg O
06-16-2015, 03:22 PM
Is there 2 plugs behind the left cubby. 1 for a cigarette plug and 1 for a usb?

srt8-in-largo
06-16-2015, 03:34 PM
Nope. There's one for a cigarette plug and one for a 3.5mm audio input plug.

NoleRider
06-16-2015, 03:44 PM

USB is in the left saddlebag

seadog
06-16-2015, 05:46 PM

I pulled the left cubby out there is a big silicone sleeve tucked behind some wiring, I fished that out there is a white plastic plug in it for the 3.5 MM plug and a red plastic plug in it for the OEM Honda electrical socket I purchase. On the bottom of the cubby there is a rubber plug that has to be remove to put in the 3.5 mm plug and on the back corner of it you will see a circled X you drill a 1 1/4 inch hole for the OEM socket. Put that in and finesse the cubby back in place and your done.

MarcPW
06-16-2015, 06:09 PM
That Sony 16gb will hold about 5500 3 minute songs depending on the length as long 4 minute songs it would hold less. But 5500 songs. I'd be dead before I heard the last one.

Plenty of space to put ALL "The Ramones" songs... :icon_wink:

seadog
06-16-2015, 06:11 PM
There's an OEM 3.5mm plug that connects to an existing connector behind the cubby; really simple and easy to install. Not sure what your other question is asking Greg... but if you just want to use the OEM USB port, no "interrupting" of anything is needed.

Convert to Mp3 @ 320 kbps. Done. It's probably easier than you're thinking.

I have no clue what to put in the left saddlebag to play music off of. Do you have to purchase an IPOD? Electrical stuff and myself are like dynamite and matches, we get together and its game over. I thought I was doing the right thing hooking up an MP3 player in the left cubby but now I am not so sure. What do you plug into the USB port that I didn't even know was there to play music with the controls on the handlebars?

53driver
06-16-2015, 06:15 PM
I have no clue what to put in the left saddlebag to play music off of. Do you have to purchase an IPOD? Electrical stuff and myself are like dynamite and matches, we get together and its game over. I thought I was doing the right thing hooking up an MP3 player in the left cubby but now I am not so sure. What do you plug into the USB port that I didn't even know was there to play music with the controls on the handlebars?

The saddlebag USB port and the controls (both on the left grip, and the Mode knob) are very friendly to iPods.
Press the Aux button to toggle between the 3.5mm in the left cubby, and the USB port in the saddlebag.

Ericb445
06-16-2015, 06:35 PM
Did you read your owner's manual?

Fla_rider
06-16-2015, 06:44 PM
Look guys Seadog is old school, doesn't understand most this stuff. So reading the manual is confusing to us,it's Chinese to him! Take it easy on him and talk basics.

srt8-in-largo
06-16-2015, 09:46 PM
Look guys Seadog is old school, doesn't understand most this stuff. So reading the manual is confusing to us,it's Chinese to him! Take it easy on him and talk basics.

Haha. Well, let's dig in here my friend.

Here's the USB stick that I use... so I know this will work (Sandisk Extreme). The 32GB version will hold a ton of music and is only $25.

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extreme-Transfer-SDCZ80-032G-GAM46-Version/dp/B00KT7DXIU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1434508844&sr=8-2&keywords=sandisk+usb+flash+extreme

That's it. No trickery or magic. Find the USB plug in the saddlebag, insert this, press the AUX button on the audio panel, and you're in business.

Now that that's out of the way, the next thing to talk about are music files to copy onto the USB stick.

srt8-in-largo
06-16-2015, 09:53 PM
Honestly though, since you already have the mp3 player on the way, I'd give that a shot. I bet it'll work fine :icon_biggrin:

It may even have a USB output, in which case you might be able to tuck it away in the saddlebag or the front cubby.

yellow rex
06-16-2015, 10:53 PM
Kingston Digital 16GB DataTraveler 101 G2 USB 2.0 works great 9.99 at amazon, I tried 3 different
brand before I found one to work with out having any problems the mp3 player is finicky about the device
it will play.

BIGLRY
06-16-2015, 10:55 PM
Haha. Well, let's dig in here my friend.

Here's the USB stick that I use... so I know this will work (Sandisk Extreme). The 32GB version will hold a ton of music and is only $25.

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extreme-Transfer-SDCZ80-032G-GAM46-Version/dp/B00KT7DXIU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1434508844&sr=8-2&keywords=sandisk+usb+flash+extreme

That's it. No trickery or magic. Find the USB plug in the saddlebag, insert this, press the AUX button on the audio panel, and you're in business.

Now that that's out of the way, the next thing to talk about are music files to copy onto the USB stick.Yea that is easy enough, but my issue is the play list, I don't have any play lists. I'm looking for any 60s rock & roll MP3 music already in a prebuilt play list that I can just download. For me it is a pain in the azz to find a song download, convert, over and over and over and over. Somewhere on line someone must have prebuilt play list of various stiles of music I could just down load on a stick and plug & play, or maybe I'm being to simplistic.:icon_lol:

srt8-in-largo
06-16-2015, 11:11 PM
Yea that is easy enough, but my issue is the play list, I don't have any play lists. I'm looking for any 60s rock & roll MP3 music already in a prebuilt play list that I can just download. For me it is a pain in the azz to find a song download, convert, over and over and over and over. Somewhere on line someone must have prebuilt play list of various stiles of music I could just down load on a stick and plug & play, or maybe I'm being to simplistic.:icon_lol:

As far as I know Larry the USB stick won't allow playlists... but people are saying the iPod will. I've been considering getting one and trying it out but man they seem expensive.

Unless someone knows better, I *think* the best we can do with a USB stick is to create our own folders on the stick with categorized music in them. Just create a folder called "60s Rock" and copy your favorite 60's rock songs in there. You could do the same for "70s Rock" and even, God help us, "80s Pop", or whatever else :icon_biggrin:

Then you can use the Honda audio control to do one of several things. You can tell it to play music sequentially or randomly from ALL folders... or you can select just one folder and have it play songs from only this folder. This is kinda the same function as a playlist, no?

yellow rex
06-16-2015, 11:17 PM
Kingston Digital 16GB DataTraveler 101 G2 USB 2.0 works great 9.99 at amazon, I tried 3 different
brand before I found one to work with out having any problems the mp3 player is finicky about the device
it will play.

Sorry I did not know I posted twice tried to remove one of them but could not figure out how.

BIGLRY
06-16-2015, 11:25 PM
As far as I know Larry the USB stick won't allow playlists... but people are saying the iPod will. I've been considering getting one and trying it out but man they seem expensive.

Unless someone knows better, I *think* the best we can do with a USB stick is to create our own folders on the stick with categorized music in them. Just create a folder called "60s Rock" and copy your favorite 60's rock songs in there. You could do the same for "70s Rock" and even, God help us, "80s Pop", or whatever else :icon_biggrin:

Then you can use the Honda audio control to do one of several things. You can tell it to play music sequentially or randomly from ALL folders... or you can select just one folder and have it play songs from only this folder. This is kinda the same function as a playlist, no?Yea, I just don't have a list of songs to do that with nor the desire to go on line and pick each song then download. If I had a generic master play list of MP3 songs then I could just pull each song off and into the file on the stick...right? Years ago there used to be a peer to peer site you could do this with and I had a crap load of songs, but after a few computers I lost them, then around 2001 it got shut down, napster I think.

srt8-in-largo
06-17-2015, 12:01 AM
Yea, I just don't have a list of songs to do that with nor the desire to go on line and pick each song then download. If I had a generic master play list of MP3 songs then I could just pull each song off and into the file on the stick...right? Years ago there used to be a peer to peer site you could do this with and I had a crap load of songs, but after a few computers I lost them, then around 2001 it got shut down, napster I think.

As far as I know playlists don't actually contain music files, they only point your player to the music file. Sorry if I'm misunderstanding you... I may not fully understand what you're asking.

I have a humungous folder on my computer with 25,000 music files (mp3's)... and not a single playlist. I use a free music manager called MusicBee to browse the files and I also use this to give each music file a rating... 5 stars for my favorites. All I do is copy the "5 star" files onto the USB stick, and that's it. Connect it to the bike and enjoy :icon_biggrin:

It indeed can be one helluva big job to find, categorize, and copy music files in the organization that you want... but the bright side is this only needs to be done once. Thankfully! And since the Honda USB music player will only recognize 255 songs in any folder, it forces you to put your files in folders anyway.

Btw it'll recognize up to 65,000 songs on the USB stick, but with only 255 songs per folder, you may end up with a LOT of folders.

srt8-in-largo
06-17-2015, 12:04 AM
Ohhhhhhhh, I gothcha now Larry; your response to my pm made sense.

What you're wanting to do with playlists is something I'm not familiar with. Obviously eh? Sorry.

stevenolts
06-17-2015, 07:47 AM
This is the one I bought / Like I said I plugged in and have never thought about it again / It works great through the radio / I just put it on random and let it do the work. It is tiny when plugged in it just looks like a USB cap.
Steve

Delivered Mar 11, 2015
Your package was left in the mailbox.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41CzeV7VWgL._SY90_.jpg (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00812F7O8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
SanDisk Cruzer Fit CZ33 32GB USB 2.0 Low-Profile Flash Drive- SDCZ33-032G-B35 (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00812F7O8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
Sold by: Amazon.com LLC
$15.12

Buy it Again

I am easy to please when every song I own is distributed to me like a juke box without repeats until every song is played.

Fla_rider
06-17-2015, 07:56 AM
George after my trip to Ct. next week let's set a date to meet and you can copy my MP3 files off my Ipod classic. These were given to me by someone at work. I beleive there is over 27k songs on it. I have a rock playlist with about 144 songs that I like on it too. Maybe we can buy 16 or 32 GB flash drives fill them with 60,70,80s rock and sell them at the rally or off the site at cost.

srt8-in-largo
06-17-2015, 03:10 PM
George after my trip to Ct. next week let's set a date to meet and you can copy my MP3 files off my Ipod classic. These were given to me by someone at work. I beleive there is over 27k songs on it. I have a rock playlist with about 144 songs that I like on it too. Maybe we can buy 16 or 32 GB flash drives fill them with 60,70,80s rock and sell them at the rally or off the site at cost.

Let's do that John. Very generous of you to share your music files, thank you! And a very interesting idea about selling flash drives at cost; at the very least, this would help guys like Seadog get setup without having to understand everything.

Fla_rider
06-17-2015, 03:28 PM
Exactly what I was thinking.:clap2::biggthumpup:

BIGLRY
06-17-2015, 03:37 PM
Let's do that John. Very generous of you to share your music files, thank you! And a very interesting idea about selling flash drives at cost; at the very least, this would help guys like Seadog get setup without having to understand everything.:039::039::039::039::039: Me too, I would gladly pay for a stick with a butt load of 60s-70s music on it. Blues, Hard Rock, Progressive Jazz, most any good road music.....the line starts behind me..violin.:020:

unsub
06-17-2015, 05:12 PM
What does this jump drive cost, I'm not rich and living on a fixed income I get by with what I can afford. When I was working steady there wasn't much I couldn't afford to purchase but without that weekly paycheck you do have to compromise a bit.

Seadog I completely understand your concern on income but USB sticks are very cheap these days. Don't limit yourself to music on the drive. You can play back talking books too. Good luck whichever way you go. It's nice to have options. Enjoy your riding days while you can.

About 18.00 for a 64gb
http://www.amazon.com/PNY-Attach%C3%A9-64GB-Flash-Drive/dp/B0063GKG6I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1434579081&sr=8-1&keywords=jump+drive+64+gb

seadog
06-17-2015, 06:24 PM
Let's do that John. Very generous of you to share your music files, thank you! And a very interesting idea about selling flash drives at cost; at the very least, this would help guys like Seadog get setup without having to understand everything.

Being from the stone age of electronics is terrible when all this new stuff comes into play, I don't have anything high tech cause it just baffles me and I never can get it too work. I bought a smart phone once and had to give it to my son and buy myself a dumb phone cause it was too smart for an old guy to use. I tried to give it to my wife first and she wouldn't have anything to do with it.
I do not like technology it is moving way to fast for us older generation people. Its like this computer, I can turn it on and usually find what I am looking for but if a problem arrives I have to take it to the computer man cause its too far over my head to figure it out.

srt8-in-largo
06-18-2015, 12:03 AM
:039::039::039::039::039: Me too, I would gladly pay for a stick with a butt load of 60s-70s music on it. Blues, Hard Rock, Progressive Jazz, most any good road music.....the line starts behind me..violin.:020:

Haha. For you bud, no problem. You've helped me out enough in the past.

Well, buying a new USB stick, putting music on it, and then sending it to you would probably take two weeks. Do you do Paypal? I was thinking about the 32 GB USB stick that I linked above for $25.

Or... I could upload some stuff to the cloud and send you a link if that's easier.

Being from the stone age of electronics is terrible when all this new stuff comes into play, I don't have anything high tech cause it just baffles me and I never can get it too work. I bought a smart phone once and had to give it to my son and buy myself a dumb phone cause it was too smart for an old guy to use. I tried to give it to my wife first and she wouldn't have anything to do with it.
I do not like technology it is moving way to fast for us older generation people. Its like this computer, I can turn it on and usually find what I am looking for but if a problem arrives I have to take it to the computer man cause its too far over my head to figure it out.

Ain't it funny how that works! I'm good with technology but doesn't mean I like it all; I never had a smart phone... and I just don't want one :icon_biggrin: