PDA

View Full Version : fix-a-flat?

Davidk
06-16-2015, 04:30 PM
I prefer riding rural roads and calling a tow would probably be a problem on most voyages. I'm not on long trips, usually 1-3 hours.

Is a can of Fix-a-flat good a good option for motorcycle tires? Is there something better?

VP8
06-16-2015, 04:35 PM
I prefer riding rural roads and calling a tow would probably be a problem on most voyages. I'm not on long trips, usually 1-3 hours.

Is a can of Fix-a-flat good a good option for motorcycle tires? Is there something better?

DynaPlugs and a nice small air compressor. You may also consider adding RideOn to your tires.

Davidk
06-16-2015, 05:07 PM
DynaPlugs and a nice small air compressor. You may also consider adding RideOn to your tires.

If there is nothing obvious, such as a nail, how do you find the leak while on the side of the road?

What is the difference between RideOn and Fix-a-Flat?

Tire companies tell me that they hate fix-a-flat because they have the clean out the wheel before installing a new tire. Is it the same for Ride-on?

wjduke
06-16-2015, 05:16 PM
If there is nothing obvious, such as a nail, how do you find the leak while on the side of the road?

What is the difference between RideOn and Fix-a-Flat?

Tire companies tell me that they hate fix-a-flat because they have the clean out the wheel before installing a new tire. Is it the same for Ride-on?

Ride on will stick to the tire. The other stuff turns to liquid, then throws the balance off. I vote ride on.

seadog
06-16-2015, 05:33 PM
Using Ride On you never know when you have a flat, you can pick up a nail or just a puncture and you wouldn't know it. I much prefer to know when I have a hurt tire on my bike. Because that tire is coming off the minute I can change it out for a new one. Your life depends on those two pieces of rubber and if you don't know that one has been punctured your life is on the line. I use the Slime small air compressor and the Stop & Go Tire Plugger kit without the CO2 canisters. It will get you home to change out the bad tire.

Davidk
06-16-2015, 08:40 PM
Using Ride On you never know when you have a flat, you can pick up a nail or just a puncture and you wouldn't know it. I much prefer to know when I have a hurt tire on my bike. Because that tire is coming off the minute I can change it out for a new one. Your life depends on those two pieces of rubber and if you don't know that one has been punctured your life is on the line. I use the Slime small air compressor and the Stop & Go Tire Plugger kit without the CO2 canisters. It will get you home to change out the bad tire.

I assume that you don't think that the protection provided by RideOn is sufficient?

What happens when bike tires leak? Wouldn't they widen, then possibly jam against the bike, thus causing a accident?

srt8-in-largo
06-16-2015, 10:27 PM
I assume that you don't think that the protection provided by RideOn is sufficient?

What happens when bike tires leak? Wouldn't they widen, then possibly jam against the bike, thus causing a accident?

If the demo videos are to be believed (I have no reason not to), RideOn should provide great protection.

Your question about a low tire is key; depending on circumstances, yeah it could very well cause the type of crash that will KILL you. Seadog makes a great point above, but personally, I'd rather avoid tire blowouts in the first place. I just started using RideOn so I can't comment much on how it does but I'm giving it a shot.

Plus, since I change my own tires but don't have a balancer, I use Rideon for the balancing effect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDIyZeZ4PY8

Steve 0080
06-17-2015, 12:15 AM
I stopped running Dyna Beads about four years ago and have not looked back...not sure what the real question is here..but for me...getting home is the answer...sitting on the side of the road sux and if I can avoid it I will...Ride on for me !!!!

Fla_rider
06-17-2015, 03:31 PM
I stopped running Dyna Beads about four years ago and have not looked back...not sure what the real question is here..but for me...getting home is the answer...sitting on the side of the road sux and if I can avoid it I will...Ride on for me !!!!

1 question Steve-who changes your tires and doesn't mind green slime all over his $4k tire changer?:yikes:

ths61
06-17-2015, 03:40 PM
Do products like RideOn work with TPMS sensors or plug them up ?

Also, maybe they could color the RideOn substance some obnoxious color to make sealed tire punctures more obvious ?

wjduke
06-17-2015, 06:43 PM
Look at the video....the stuff sits in the middle area of the tire. It doesn't wash over the whole inside. It's thick enough not to get runny, but still enough to balance and not harden. I've never used it, but might give it a try after what I saw.

shooter
06-17-2015, 09:25 PM

What Steve says is true. Getting home is the most important thing. That's the main reason I run the Michelin on the rear. A bonus is the way it handles.

jm21ddd15
06-17-2015, 10:29 PM
The video looks good. I think I will try the Ride-On, too. I'm wondering, if you don't ride for a few weeks, or over the winter, does the gell settle at the bottom of the tire? Possibly having to re-distribute itself when riding starts again? And if it does settle, does the "gell" get stiff, when the weather gets cold? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

John

srt8-in-largo
06-17-2015, 10:48 PM
Do products like RideOn work with TPMS sensors or plug them up ?

Also, maybe they could color the RideOn substance some obnoxious color to make sealed tire punctures more obvious ?

External sensors should be fine.

Internal sensors are indeed susceptible to fouling from "inside the tire" liquids. The pressure ports on these things are only 1 or 2 mm diameter, and the sensor manufacturers warn very clearly that any debris blocking the port can result in bad readings. However... there are two ways of mounting internal sensors.

The first method attaches to the backside of the valve stem. Since RideOn is installed through the valve stem, this causes it to be in close proximity to the sensor and increases the odds of fouling. The second method attaches to a band around the center of the rim. In this case you can rotate the location of the sensor to be opposite the valve stem; now when you install RideOn, you won't be spraying it near the sensor and the odds are reduced of it getting fouled.

Brilliant idea on the color!

srt8-in-largo
06-17-2015, 10:51 PM
The video looks good. I think I will try the Ride-On, too. I'm wondering, if you don't ride for a few weeks, or over the winter, does the gell settle at the bottom of the tire? Possibly having to re-distribute itself when riding starts again? And if it does settle, does the "gell" get stiff, when the weather gets cold? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

John

John IIRC some of these questions are addressed in the FAQ section of their website.

I seem to recall reading where the stuff does indeed settle in the bottom of the tire if the bike isn't ridden for a while, but I think it shouldn't take long to redistribute itself once the bike is moving again.

jm21ddd15
06-17-2015, 11:03 PM
John IIRC some of these questions are addressed in the FAQ section of their website.

I seem to recall reading where the stuff does indeed settle in the bottom of the tire if the bike isn't ridden for a while, but I think it shouldn't take long to redistribute itself once the bike is moving again.

:yes: Thanks for the info! I'll check out that site, to hear what the say.

seadog
06-18-2015, 12:50 PM
The Dyna beads have no effect on tire pressure monitors, I received that information right from Innovative Balancing. The company that sells Dyna beads.

wjduke
06-18-2015, 01:20 PM
The Dyna beads have no effect on tire pressure monitors, I received that information right from Innovative Balancing. The company that sells Dyna beads.

Fix a flat would...like I said, it turns into a liquid.