PDA

View Full Version : Changing exhaust what are the benefits?

stevenolts
06-19-2015, 09:03 AM
I guess I am running out of thing to buy for the bike because I am now thinking about the exhaust.

On the Harley that is one of the first things I would have done.
Ergonomics, pipes, fuel management, breathing. Make you pump more free flowing ASAP to get the best our of the bike.

My question is do most members on the forum agree on the best exhaust system?
If I change the exhaust,fuel management (Power Commander), and air intake will I get performance results that are worth making the changes?

I thought I read somewhere that the F6B was set up fairly well and already has a built in fuel management system that compensates for any changes you make.

Last night I saw a video on how to install the Power Commander and a M--??? on a Valkyrie. This made me start to wonder if I can get better results with a few changes. Can I use the Power Commander from the Harley (most likely not ???)

If it is just about sound / I kind of like the nice quiet sewing machine of my F6B. After all of the years on the Harley It is nice to be able to hear the stereo again.
Steve

bobbyf6b
06-19-2015, 09:08 AM
Do a search for exhaust on this site. Opinions vary.

DaWadd
06-19-2015, 09:09 AM
The cost compared to the minimal gain is not worth IMO. Did it to other bikes I've owned but not happening to this one."coffee"

Steve 0080
06-19-2015, 10:27 AM
I went with the Cobra because I thought the bike was too quite...

Hardrock
06-19-2015, 11:03 AM
When I eventually get an exhaust, it will be for sound and looks. There are alot of options coming down the pipe'surrender2'. Someone should start a thread on all the exhaust optopns available. Among the ones already available, 2 brothers, delcavic, freedom exhaust and the one Phantom was talking about, are coming.

Hornblower
06-19-2015, 11:06 AM
I grew up in the 50's and 60's when it was all about glass packs and such. Nothing sounded better than a V-8 with a good exhaust note. Maybe it's an acquired thing :shrug:. What I do know is that I like to hear an engine run and, for me, the stock exhaust was too quiet. So, for no other reason, I bought a set of Rush pipes. Unfortunately, I do have considerable drone so I will be considering smaller baffles or Torq Loopz and maybe both. Anyway, to answer the OP's question, the benefits might include (depending on personal tastes) better sound and appearance and possibly, slightly better performance.

bigbird
06-19-2015, 11:42 AM
I bought a set of Rush pipes. Unfortunately, I do have considerable drone so I will be considering smaller baffles or Torq Loopz and maybe both.

I just bought the Rush slip-ons with 2.0" baffles. In talking to "Catfish" at Rush, I told him that I wanted some character to the exhaust sound, but not too loud and no droning. He suggested the 2.0" baffles.
What size baffles are giving you too much drone, Ken?

ths61
06-19-2015, 11:42 AM
Many people equate louder pipes with more performance, but it doesn't always work that way.

On my V-Twin, I gained performance at higher RPMs and lost torque on the low end (which was a bad thing).

Does anyone know if similar scenarios happens on the 6 ? I haven't seen too many before and after dynos (same dyno, same altitude, same temperature, etc.) for this on the GL1800's.

bobbyf6b
06-19-2015, 11:52 AM
Because of the drone issue I had with the Cobras, if/when I decide to do it again it will be with Torq Loops and Torq Masters.

I've also thought about getting a custom system done locally. Not sure if it would be any better or cheaper.

How about a pair of Cherry Bombs? :icon_mrgreen:

Hornblower
06-19-2015, 12:19 PM
I just bought the Rush slip-ons with 2.0" baffles. In talking to "Catfish" at Rush, I told him that I wanted some character to the exhaust sound, but not too loud and no droning. He suggested the 2.0" baffles.
What size baffles are giving you too much drone, Ken?

2.5" and I'm thinking of trying the 2.25" next.

Hornblower
06-19-2015, 12:21 PM
How about a pair of Cherry Bombs? :icon_mrgreen:

Yes, please! I remember those too :yes::clap2:

Old Ryder
06-19-2015, 12:33 PM
Got to be for the sound only! I loved the way my 99 Valkyrie sounded--it had a sports car growl like a Porshe. The B has no noise but gear whine. I like that!

I had a buddy with a loud Valkyrie-no baffles--sounded like a log truck with no muffler. That told me everything I need to know/hear. OTOH, I do love the sound of the 15's. Just a tad louder and sounds great.

ths61
06-19-2015, 12:37 PM
... OTOH, I do love the sound of the 15's. Just a tad louder and sounds great.

What is the difference with the 15's, just the muffler or other things including tuning ?

bigbird
06-19-2015, 12:37 PM
2.5" and I'm thinking of trying the 2.25" next.

Thanks for the info.
I'll let you know what I think of the 2.0 " in about 10 days.

bigbird
06-19-2015, 12:38 PM
What is the difference with the 15's, just the muffler or other things including tuning ?

Enginewise, it's just the mufflers.
Other than that, (C)ruise control standard.

ths61
06-19-2015, 12:48 PM
Enginewise, it's just the mufflers.
Other than that, (C)ruise control standard.

Thanks, it appears 13/14 owners could use 15 OEM mufflers for a little more tone.

Greg O
06-19-2015, 12:57 PM
I have done some You Tube searches on exhaust mods, and some guys are just drilling out the baffles on their stock pipes, some removed the cats. What I would like to know is there a certain configuration when drilling out stock baffle to get the best sound,how big of holes do you drill,p and how do they sound after the fact is it even worth it.

Airborne06
06-19-2015, 12:59 PM
Thanks, it appears 13/14 owners could use 15 OEM mufflers for a little more tone.

The OEM (2015) exhaust is around $1,400!! At least that is what I was told....

Old Ryder
06-19-2015, 01:48 PM
The OEM (2015) exhaust is around $1,400!! At least that is what I was told....

LOL!!! Waiting for some of those OEM take offs to show up on fleeBay for about $100 :lolup:

53driver
06-19-2015, 01:56 PM
LOL!!! Waiting for some of those OEM take offs to show up on fleeBay for about $100 :lolup:

I'll just do a straight trade for a 2015 owner who wants some "quiet chrome" in their lives...
Bring the tools to the Rally, we'll do it there.

opas ride
06-19-2015, 06:06 PM
Waiting to hear from those that get the newest Two-Brothers slip ons to see how the like the sound and what is the "drone level"..Okay with my current Cobra's, but might consider something else down the road.....

bigbird
06-19-2015, 07:14 PM
Waiting to hear from those that get the newest Two-Brothers slip ons to see how the like the sound and what is the "drone level"..

So was I until the thread got deep-sixed by management.

opas ride
06-19-2015, 08:42 PM
Yes, I read that a little while ago after I had posted....My dealer is going to order a set and put them on an F6B and when he calls I will go listen and see what they sound like....Ride safe

F6B1911
06-19-2015, 08:47 PM
I'm still waiting to see a set of Tail Gunner pipes on a F6B.

srt8-in-largo
06-20-2015, 06:22 PM

If I change the exhaust,fuel management (Power Commander), and air intake will I get performance results that are worth making the changes?

I thought I read somewhere that the F6B was set up fairly well and already has a built in fuel management system that compensates for any changes you make.

Last night I saw a video on how to install the Power Commander and a M--??? on a Valkyrie. This made me start to wonder if I can get better results with a few changes. Can I use the Power Commander from the Harley (most likely not ???)

Hey Steve, I'm sure you'll see a little bit of power with exhaust, Power Commander, and air intake. Below is a graph showing a handful of hp from a custom tune from Guhl on a stock bike; which is not bad from only programming. Exhaust and intake might add a few more.

As for the bike being setup well... well it is. Our AF ratios are dialed in to about 12.5 at WOT which is EXACTLY where you want to be for making power in a naturally aspirated motor. The Power Commander would be nice if you went to forced induction and just wanted to "blindly" dump fuel to keep your engine from blowing up... but realistically, if you had that or any mods that needed more power I wouldn't bother at all with a PC. Why?? Pay a little more for a custom tune from Guhl and have a fuel map that is optimized for your mods rather than only having a few generic settings from the PC to play with.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-9NDCU_6TvoE/VFA2u_EX1JI/AAAAAAAACPI/wXytyC4L3ZU/s800/Guhl_GL1800DynoGraph.JPG

As for having a fuel management system that compensates for changes, I wish people who didn't know what they were talking about would cut it out. No offense to you. Every new-ish vehicle on the road has a system that "compensates" using the oxygen sensor feedback loop... but these are NARROWBAND sensors whose ONLY purpose is to maintain stoich at idle or low load. Such systems are useless mods that are intended to make power at wide open throttle.

The fuel maps that are responsible for high loads are hard-coded in the ECM. The only way to adjust fueling is to re-shape the map as what Guhl does, or to use trickery to fool the system as what the PC does.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-qv--Wv1LHRc/VEXIAK70IBI/AAAAAAAACLw/4EulvFSMUwM/s800/PFI%2525202.jpg

(Great! Since the link to my picture has an M-C in it, the forum blocked it! What fricking baloney.)

Many people equate louder pipes with more performance, but it doesn't always work that way.

On my V-Twin, I gained performance at higher RPMs and lost torque on the low end (which was a bad thing).

Does anyone know if similar scenarios happens on the 6 ? I haven't seen too many before and after dynos (same dyno, same altitude, same temperature, etc.) for this on the GL1800's.

We have more than enough torque down low IMO; good mods for us would concentrate on more top end hp.

You probably know this but hp and tq are related. Tq is a unit of work and hp is basically how FAST the engine performs that work. So, with a lot of stock torque already avaliable, more of it would only make launching more difficult and prone to tire spin. Not good. However, once you get rolling it's never a bad thing to have gobs of hp available to do the "work" of accelerating the vehicle faster.

BMW is one of the only manufacturers to have an optimized balance for performance on street tires... the M series cars always have much more peak hp than tq. Don't get me wrong though... gobs of low end torque has a much higher fun factor *if* you can stick the tires.

I have done some You Tube searches on exhaust mods, and some guys are just drilling out the baffles on their stock pipes, some removed the cats. What I would like to know is there a certain configuration when drilling out stock baffle to get the best sound,how big of holes do you drill,p and how do they sound after the fact is it even worth it.

There's a few people here who played with this. Best bet is a search.

vstar09
06-20-2015, 07:27 PM
The stock pipes are cool with me.......Too many yearsof vtwins with loud pipes.......maybe im old... but really like going down the road listinging to the tunes